Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭celt262

It would be a brave man to confidently call the Senior championship at the moment there are 5 or 6 teams who could go all the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

I had thought Kingscourt and the Gaels might only take a scalp rather than go the whole way, but as no one has really lit it up yet from the favourites, you wouldn't rule them out yet. Great to see Killygarry string some wins together but I am not sure they have what it takes to go the whole way. Lots of talk that James Brady's injury would mean him being out for the most of the championship and if that's the case, it would be a hammer blow (with McEvoy missing).

Intermediate is shaping up into being yet another dogfight. Even calling relegation could be tight.

Jeez nearly a week here without a single post !

I see Tynan had some posts up on Facebook with video in regard to the Referee in the Crosserlough and Ramor game but has since removed them. ( It wasn't a witch hunt !)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

What did he say about the ref?

He had 2 video clips up the first one was the Damien Barkley sending off for a second yellow. Barkley was dragged to the ground off the ball and got up and threw a punch which didn't connect. The two lads got booked and Barkley got sent off which was the correct call (if hadn't of throwing the punch it would have been interesting to see what the call would have been as it was clear his opponent was trying to get him sent off) but Tynan was looking for people's opinions on it which mainly went one way slating the referee Barry McMeniman.

He had another clip up then looking for opinion on whether a challenge should have led to a penalty and a black card.

Was purely trying to make little of the referee and had tagged Cavan county board in it.

He did say that he was looking for onions and it wasn't a witch hunt about the referee which it clearly was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

God he's an awful dose of sh1te and his cheerleader from the podcast ain't much better either

Have never listened to it and I will be keeping it that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭mylestheslasher

His mammy should take his phone of him and do us all a favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

As i watched that game at home i thought the referee was very poor.

I know it's a very Cavan-fan thing to do (crib about the referee) but a few of the games I attended in person had some fairly poor officiating. I was also watching the Gowna Vs Lavey game and Gowna could feel fairly hard done by. They were managing the game fairly well towards the end and then a very suspect penalty meant Lavey got a point. Fair play to Lavey for getting the result but they didn't look like they had a goal in them until the penalty was awarded.

For the record, I am not a Gowna fan but as a neutral I thought it was a really soft penalty and Gowna had enough chances to have been out of sight at that stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

So you’re calling into question the referee’s performance and the integrity of the result over one 50/50 decision?

Who’d be a referee, eh!?

I was at that game in Breffni but I checked the Celt article to refresh my memory and Lavey, who “didn’t look like they had a goal in them”, had a goalbound shot saved by Bannon in the first half and almost scored a goal at the start of the second when Tierney palmed the ball over the bar. At the time of the penalty, Conroy’s ball had nullified the Gowna backline and if Jordan turned his man, which he wasn’t allowed to do, he was one on one.

In relation to referees, go to a juvenile game and see what they have to put up with from trainers and supporters in our county. Hopefully the dreadful thing that happened this week will be the straw that broke the camels back and the GAA will finally crack down on the abuse officials are receiving.

I was at an U13 game this week in Breffni and within 2 minutes there were 3/4 coaching staff from a club around the sideline official and that continued throughout.

There needs to be a huge crackdown on the intimidation of referees and officials in our county and countrywide.

I said it was a poor call, pull your horns in. It was a huge call that had a massive impact on the result. There was minimal contact on Jordan and he went down awful soft. The game was nip and tuck and then Gowna had pulled away and looked home and hosed and then a very soft penalty was awarded. When the game was in the mix and Lavey were chasing in the last 10 they didn't look like conjuring up a much needed goal to rescue a draw. So re-read the Celt or watch it on Cavstream all you want and then come back and say that decision wasn't a close call.

You don't need to link a statement online about a poor call with vilifcation of referees or intimidation or assault. This is boards.ie, not Roscommon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

So why not applaud the referee for making the call? It would have been a lot easier for him to ignore what, in my opinion, was a penalty. The Gowna crowd were fairly muted on the night overall but none of them seemed too annoyed over it being given in Breffni. Were you at the game or watching the stream?

You state Gowna had enough chances to have put the game away by then so why hadn’t they? Much like the county final last year, that is a question they need to ask themselves. But are you basically stating the referee is to take into account which team should be winning when he makes a decision?

Regardless, I find it unbelievably harsh for someone to criticise referees based on a 50/50 call in one game. Go back over the course of most games and you’ll find that a ref mightn’t get everything right but generally things work themselves out.

As I said, go to some juveniles games and you’ll see that our own county isn’t a million miles away from Roscommon. The GAA need to do something centrally.

I thought it was a poor call, you didn't.

Ah, Cavan_King's, how i have missed your unique ability to create a strawman argument and chance to mount your high horse.

I said it was a bad call and you've managed to make it out like it was an anti-referee rant. Good show. Hopefully your Lemlin-alter ego will log in and weigh in on the topic. Maybe you and Lemlin can revisit old turf about frozen pitches and the u20 management just for old times sake.

In terms of slagging of referees, let he or she without sin on the internet cast the first stone. For example, if one were to tip over to the Meath boards.ie section (familiar nesting ground for the Cavan_King species) one might find someone slagging off a very well-know Cavan referee:

"She’s too whistle happy. Ruins even club games but they keep giving her large profile games because she’s a woman. Regardless of her gender, her performance should be what she is judged on."

What was it you said above? "Who’d be a referee, eh!?" Yeah, indeed.

And kudos to you making it to Breffni Park for a game, you truly are the biggest Cavan fan on the planet. Maybe you'll make it to Killinkere this weekend to see "Jordan Muldoon" in action for Kingscourt :)

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭mylestheslasher

Any new players showing up in the championship that might be capable of county standard - for an exile like me who doesnt get to club games much.

I've attended more or less the same amount of league and championship games this year as most years (2020 aside) and maybe I am being a bit picky, but this year the standard of games (in my opinion) is much lower than previous years. I would be interested to see what other Breffni Boards members think. It's hardly the impact of the split season but I can't really recall any games i was at that really were impressive (barring the freakish shoot out that was the division one league final).

I've not been at a junior game this year, but in terms of senior and intermediate I've not seen many that have stood out. McVeety already looks like he could walk back into the panel with a few performances I've seen (if he wants it). That's hardly news. I was really impressed with David Brady and Padraig Moore, both of whom had short stints on the panel in 2018 i think. If Gearoid is to move into the full forward line at intercounty, I would love to see Brady come in as a half forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Being at 8/9 intermediate games and the standard is awful, is the championships all finished on the day,ie;no replays

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Thunderbirds

All knock out games have replay if needed.

Wasn't a great weekend for entertainment a lot of one sides games.

I agree- hard to remember a set of games over a weekend so completely lacking in drama (barring Shannon Gaels making a game of it against Arva). Most of them were effectively over at half time.

The only "surprise" was the Cootehill win and it wasn't so much a massive shock that they won, but the manner that they won (and Templeport didn't show up). Caught most of the games on Cavstream. Oisin Kiernan was very impressive for Castlerahan- ran the game from centre half back, some lovely kick passing into the forward and some impressive scores.Hession was very good for Cootehill and always looked to get quick ball in to the forwards. Magee had some game for Cuchulainns. David Brady and Eoin Clarke hugely impressive for Ballyhaise.

Interesting draw for both Junior and Intermediate. Definitely the four best teams in each for the semi finals and you could argue that the favourites in each have been kept apart for potentially huge finals (but the other teams might have other ideas about that!)

• Advertisement

The favourites are together in junior I'd have thought???

Yeah Oisin Kiernan scored some great scores. One was a carbon copy of point against Donegal in Ulster final. Cootehill were very impressive. A young, pacey and direct team that will cause a lot of problems.

I would have thought that most people would have had Arva and Drumlane as favourites before the junior started.

Arva favorites followed closely by Drumlane and Knockbride.

Cootehill are a team to watch out for over the next few years they have got there act together at underage and winning trophies in the top divisions.

Sorry meant Arva and Knockbride.

Surely they're favourites???

After last weekend, hard to call. Arva, Knockbride and Drumlane are easily the three strongest. I think before a ball was thrown in the assumption was that they would all be in the mix, with the two teams dropping down from intermediate likely be the two favourites. After the first game, it looked like Arva would steamroller everyone- but they've been flat since, and Drumlane have definitely recovered from that opening game debacle.

It would appear certain individuals on Facebook are not very happy with the coverage of the 1947 all ireland anniversary...

That certain individual not happy about the County Board putting up a statue to John Joe even though it has nothing to do with them. Same individual put up a clip giving out about a referee and took down when everyone pointed out the box thrown in it then couple days later put up post about disgrace of referee being attacked in Roscommon.

He would want to reel himself in a bit he seems to post a lot of rubbish without thinking about what he is doing the referee one was an attack on the referee dressed up as looking for peoples opinions. He is anti everything at the moment and his issue with the 1947 post is nothing but disgraceful.

He's not anti gambling it seems... A lot of his posts are gambling related on the championship

I will however give him credit for highlighting the cocaine problems that each and every club in the country are facing

• Advertisement

What good is it doing though everyone knows its in every club and know people who use it and even people involved at county board level like the odd sniff if the rumors are to be believed. It's part of going out now for an awful lot of people just go into any pub in the country and its obvious what is going on.

Advertisement