Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your New WHS Index

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭thewobbler

But one of them has the past 6 months of practice and dedication to rely upon, while the other one doesn’t.

how’s that fair?

greebo honestly I think you’re tying yourself up in knots.

the form of golf you seemingly to see would be invitational only, and step away from the narrow confines of what is acceptable behaviour, and you’re toast. It’s like LiV golf for club players.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭Russman

But GreeBo, doesn’t that kinda take us back to the basic question of “what is a handicap ?” Fair enough, under CONGU it was supposed to be potential and an argument could be made that you going from 2.5 to 3.4 is similar to getting a few 0.1s under the old way. Maybe (with all due respect, it’s purely as an example), you were never really a 2.5, but had a good day(s) and got down and now you’re finding your real level over time ? I know from experience that once you get low and start to creep up you never think you’ve disimproved, you’re always just playing badly and never really ever accept you’re not the golfer you once were. I think just as our level can improve with practice, lessons etc., it can also disimprove for many reasons, lack of play, lack of confidence, poor technique, injury/illness etc. I don’t think it’s fixed at the best you were. I’d bet that next spring there will be a heap of mid to high guys that won’t be able to get close to their handicap because the dry summer this year has lead to 50 yards of run and totally inflated their scores, whereas they’ll be goosed in the soft ground next April.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

The difference between 2.5 and 3.4 is 1 shot. Just, one, shot. Its a fair assessment for the handicapping to give you a 1 shot increase to assist you be more competitive in this regard and when you start playing more like you should you'll be back to 2.5 in no time.

If you don't want handicap increases, do what the majority of other low guys do that want to keep an artificially low handicap. Don't play counting rounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Infoseeker1975

This system in my opinion gives too much weight to a couple of decent scores.

I started the year at 2.5 & I am at 0.1 now, if I go through each score taking 2.5 as being a 3 handicap and working off what CSS was for our blue and whites markers then I would still be off 2/3 handicap instead of scratch.

Be honest. How decent were your scores and how tough is the golf course you are a member of ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Infoseeker1975

I have been a member for 35 years and before the new index the CSS off the blues would be 36pts most of the time and 38pts off the whites. Obviously that can change but I used those metrics.

So I went through all my scores for 2022 working off the basis that I started at 2.5, from here I ignored the new WHS index and so if I shot +2 off the blues then this was 37pts & a 0.1 cut.

After going through all the scores, I would now be 2.4 and I include buffer zones so 35pts off blues & 36/37pts off whites I treated as no change.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

What's your playing handicap?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

@GreeBo you seem to be considering handicap and skill level as static metrics here. Surely they were identical golfers 6 months ago but are no longer so and thus handicap should reflect that?

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭Shank Williams

Any idea how an identical score on the same course same tees on 2 different days with no CSS applied on either day result in a score differential that differs by 1 (played off same tees). There is a difference of 4 shots in handicap between the 2 days but didn’t think that would have any affect and slope was same.

So an 88 gave me a score differential of 17.7 and 4 months later and 88 gives me a score diff of 18.7- only other difference I can see is that for the 18.7 one of my holes was a scratch whereas in the lower one I scored on all holes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

It depends on your handicap. Looks like your handicap changed between the two rounds. Have a look at your WHS index for the two rounds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I stand by my post, 36 + 14 should never = 60 ;)

But the problem is that no matter how well I played, I could simply never have 50 points. Its just not possible. No professional golfer can do it either, which to me would indicate that there is a problem!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭blue note

It would never happen, but there's an argument that you should adjust the scores based on how much of an achievement it is in relation to the handicap. So a 30 handicapper shooting 46 points might be equal in probability to a scratch golfer shooting 43 points or something like that. And the reverse would also be true. A scratch golfer shooting 36 points is a lot more common than a 30 handicapper, so maybe you'd equate that to 34 points for them.

Could you imagine the craic here though if someone had a handicap index of 30, then got a playing handicap of 33 and came in with 35 points, to beat the scratch golfer with 36? People's heads might explode.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I don't think you lads are understanding my point, I've probably badly explained. I've already said it though, I am not nor ever have been a single figure golfer, and I don't believe I should be either or that I will be. Potential is having or showing the capacity to develop into something in the future. All I am saying is that I have shown and proven I have the potential. Not everyone lives up to their potential.

But, lets leave that aside, because this is about WHS. So my argument is that in some cases (such as mine), people have been given back to many shots to quickly. The result of this is that they are more likely to now shoot a higher score when they go out on a good day. Something none of us (well with a couple of odd exceptions) think is correct. This is possibly the main gripe about WHS.

I've basically said I've an artificially high handicap and you have told me otherwise. 🤣 But yep, I agree with you here and it what I've been saying that just because I've been playing bad this year, doesn't mean that I'm any worse of a player.

Exactly my point

"invitation only"?

I have no idea where you got that from anything I have posted tbh!

All I have said is that the max handicap should be far lower (18 seems like a logical max to me) and that players should play off the appropriate tee for their ability.

This would help to avoid situations like our captains final day where the last 10 golfers averaged 75 years old and the final 3 ball were all in buggys, the winner being over 80, shooting a over 100 strokes off 34.

anyway, 4 ball last night, myself (14 PH) and the old man were doing ok for the front 9, but weren't dovetailing that well so only shot 19 points

Luckily I played better on the back 9 (+3 gross) and we came home with 30 points.

but I'm deluding myself to believe that my handicap is overstated as a result of WHS 😀

But I don't need (or want!) 1 shot back.

I don't need artificial help to be more competitive, I just need to play a tiny bit better.

I don't even think you can measure ability down to 1 shot, 1 shot over a round could be caused by so many things. This is part of what was so good about CONGU, there is no bufferzone with WHS, it just seems to reactionary.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭finglashoop

reactionary is exactly it but i think the variance handicap rising is too lenient

it adjusts a decent score straightaway and disregards a bad one until it is one of 8.

so it is easy to manipulate for those that way inclined

Well its clearly a made-up scenario, but they both still have the same ability, sure one guy will be a bit rusty, but its not going to take him long to get back, but in the mean time he has extra shots to play with.

I just think that WHS is targeting a very different type of golf than what we play in Europe.

tbh I'm less worried about bandits, I dont think there is every anything you can do about that. But to me WHS is a dumbing down of golf. Dont worry about getting better, WHS will keep feeding you shots until you are "competitive"

• Advertisement

If you forget about the front 9 then you are a single figure golfer alright.

If you forget about all the holes you bogeyed then you are a scratch golfer.

If you only think about the birdies and eagles you are pro.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭newport2

The issue is that higher handicappers are going to shoot far more points in excess of 36 than lower ones are, if they both have an exceptional day on the course. In a big club (like mine is), there will almost always be someone who has an exceptional day and comes in with a crazy score. It's not the same guys, week in week out, it's not down to bandits. It's just there's enough high golfers that someone will nearly always do it.

In congo, if you shot 46 points, your cut for it took years to get back. In WHS, it might only last 2 months. It's almost like you've a better chance of winning with WHS if you're wildly inconsistent. Shoot one great round in 20 and you're in the money, shoot 5 great rounds in 20 and you're not.

That said, there are elements of both I prefer. I don't think there's any system that will keep everyone happy. Category's are the best route to level the field somewhat IMO.

WHS definitely favours the golfer who sees everything as a green light, go for it scenario.

There is no reward for consistency, and you can see that from the low guys too, the variances for WHS scratch golfers is crazy compare to CONGU scratch.

If I play to scratch 50% of the time, and 10 the other 50% of the time, what handicap am I really?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,912 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

@ Newport is spot on for me.

It actually would be a better system if upward moves were supressed by even 1/2 (Imo

But there have been points well made above, that the system tells you the average golfer you are ...and that is massive change of mindset for everyone.

And probably ego damaging for some..

But there is a buffer zone. Whenever you dont shoot a good score and whenever you dont have a score dropping out of your top 8, then that round is a buffer zone.

You also need to remember that your handicap index is an average. Where the middle of the average is 36 points. This means that while you might have some rounds of 38 or 39 points on your record relative to your handicap, you also have some rounds of 34/35 that are on your record too. If your handicap starts to increase, that means you are consistently shooting rounds less than 34 points. You're probably shoot a lot more rounds of 32-33 points relative to your handicap or less. Which means you are currently playing like a 5 or 6 handicapper.

You're just upset because you are losing your vanity handicap of 2 and the system is adjusting you to the handicap you should actually be playing off. Its true, congu would have allowed you to preserve your vanity and ego for a longer period of times, but the whs system actually wants players to play off the handicaps they should be off. If you dont want to play off the handicap you should be playing off, then stop playing counting rounds. That way you can preserve your ego as a player playing off a 2/3 handicap

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

Funny enough, I see this point of view too.

In Congu, for 30 years I've averaged 5 handicap, max 6, min almost 2 for a while. But essentially I saw myself as a 5 handicapper.

There's a world of difference, in Congu, between how a consistent 5 handicapper hits the ball v a consistent 2 handicapper.

In WHS iv gone as low as 2.8 but my god I'm no 2.8 handicapper and I wouldn't fool meself or anyone else saying I am. Not that I would, sure who cares really.

I know I'm still a 5 handicapper regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭Russman

I feel like this should be a "I don't know what a tracker mortgage is" moment 😁😁

Its weird, I can actually agree with both sides of the debate. Not really sure what that means tbh.

That's it exactly, under WHS you're a scratch handicapper, like it or not, under CONGU, who knows, depends on what you started at in round 1 of your stretch of golf. They're such wildly different systems all our preconceptions of what a scratch guy or a plus guy or a 20 handicapper is have now gone out the window. They're literally not comparable at all, in any shape or form, especially with WHS regenerating itself completely every 20 rounds. Under CONGU you could be getting the benefit (?) of a stretch of good golf for potentially years. I think its definitely harder to hold a low handicap under WHS, as you have to perform, and not live off 3 good rounds last summer. I think that's probably a good thing tbh, but probably hard for a scratch guy to accept that a run of poor golf leads to him not being a scratch guy.

But there is no buffer zone.

when you don’t shoot a good score, that score will (maybe not straight away) along with other poor scores knock out some of your decent rounds, thus inflating your handicap.

so playing crap, trying to dig out a score, playing and taking mad shots on in the past might have got you one or two things. You ground it out and got Into the buffer meaning it was a round that had no effect on your handicap…… ever, or you turned that 30 points you were heading for into 20 and you got .1 back, and the amount of times this could happen was capped!

now when you dig in and go for the risks don’t pay off…….. well your handicap will suffer and probably by a lot more than .1. And there is no real cap anymore. Really you can’t play golf like this under the new system. You should be playing conservatively to protect your handicap from ballooning. …….. no fun in that

• Advertisement

That's not a buffer though, thats just a deferring of your bad score which at some point could be one of your top 8.

Buffer in CONGU meant that round didnt impact your handicap now or ever in the future. That system accepted that you werent going to play well everyday and thus wouldnt play to your handicap everyday. You could argue that it was weighted too much towards potential, but if so, WHS is weighted far too much towards average.

Average has no real world meaning for rounds of golf, there are too many outside influences and the sample space of 20 is far too small. Any other field would laugh at you for deriving anything from a sample of 20.

"vanity" handicap? I've been of 2.5-2.9 since the system came in last year actually, just recently bumped up as I dropped off a couple of level par rounds, I'll be back under 3 soon enough.

tbh your personal comments about my ego and vanity are pretty ridiculous as you dont know me from Adam.

Advertisement