Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sportives 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭Tipperarymike

I am on this route not that far from Keeper Hill and I really had to zoom in on the gps to see if you actually did take the road i thought you took! Fair play Axle

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Bot1

With the Tour De Beara - does anyone know if you can register for the 160km but on the day if suffering you can do the 120km?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭hesker

I can’t imagine anyone would say a word to you. But you’ll have to make your mind up before you start as the routes both start in Glengarrif but go in different directions.

The 160 goes north over the Caha pass while the 120 goes straight west.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Morris Garren

Tour of Kildare was a great success yesterday; sold out early in the week and with the heat involved it was just as well. Scramble for water at the 2 stops but there was enough for everyone. New route, lots of marshals including top class Garda lead moto, beautiful roads through rural parts of the county... but most of all the final 25km through wooded hills was super hard, overall a great sportive back on the calendar. And cost just 20 euro- great value as it included free pizza in the pub afterwards. 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 14,939 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

yes, very enjoyable day and very well organised and marshalled by Naas CC.

We got into a big group in the first section, must have been nearly 100 riders who all rolled into the food stop together. In the next section we got in with some riders from Reservoir Cogs who pushed hard on the mainly flat roads through west Kildare; possibly a bit too hard for me as I then struggled on the final, lumpier third of the course, particularly with temperature rising into the upper 20s.

At one point we came around a corner to find a crowd of people clapping & cheering - only after giving them a wave did I realise they were there for a vintage tractor rally that was going in the opposite direction. We then got to ride through about 4km of diesel fumes as the old tractors just kept coming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭lissard

Just posting an update for a sportive being run by my own club on Sun 11th Sept 2022.

• Sign-on from 8am, start at 9am at Bray Wheelers Clubhouse, Schools Road, Boghall, Bray, Co Wickow, A98 C890
    • Distances 120km / 90km / 70km
    • Enjoy beautiful scenic routes with the 120km and 90km distances taking in the iconic Shay Elliott climb
    • Home-baked refreshments at Glen of Imaal Mountain Rescue Base in Laragh, for all routes
    • Entry fee €20, and proceeds to local charity Bray Lakers, https://lakers.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭a148pro

Anyone know did Gravel Grind West sell out last year or is it likely to?

Would like to do it but not sure I will be able to commit until closer to the time

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭gmacww

Last o da wrappin paper!

Reservoir dog sportive is this Sunday September 4th. Many of you have already signed up, thank you your support is greatly appreciated and we have great numbers this year. If you've been waiting to see how the legs are now is the time. We are closing registration today at 5 so get in there before the gates get locked.

https://www.reservoircogs.ie/reservoir-dog-sportive/

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Looking forwards to it. The burger was a sportive highlight last year!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Any chance you could fix the weather forecast for Sunday it's broken :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭fat bloke

The aul dog doesn't have the best luck when it comes to weather on the day :(

I looked at the forecast for Blessington this evening and about 10mm of rain was forecast coupled with winds tipping 40km/h. Now Met Eireann are saying less than 3mm with less wind.

Keep the fingers crossed!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

It was grand last year and the fog was nice and atmospheric.

I'm out of any big cycles. Have an Achilles problem that I started physio for today. Cycling doesn't impact it much but need to put in time to do various other exercises.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,412 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

It's one of the best sportives in Ireland. I unfortunately won't be taking part as I hurt my back at the start of June and I'm still not properly recovered. I've missed out on the Wicklow 200, Tour de Kilkenny, a Galway gravel sportive which started a few hundred metres from my flippin' house, and now Reservoir Dogs as well ☹️

Re Galway : "Ride the classic" in may or the grinder last weekend? Both were great but the grinder was another level altogether, stupidly beautiful scenery and incredibly well organized

• Registered Users Posts: 13,412 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

The Gravel Grinder that started/finished in Moycullen last Saturday... I know the trails around the wind park but I was still gutted to miss it. Great to hear that it was well organised. Hopefully it will be on next year again.

I hope so too, a super day out, even if it meant driving down from and back to Dublin on the day. Defo doing it again next year

• Registered Users Posts: 4,342 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Jeez, I don't know about that. I've done all them bar 2019 and only got wet once. I wouldn't heed a tiny bit of drizzle, I have photos of me sitting on the grass eating my burger in the sunshine after every one of them

Ah fair enough, I thought the last time anyway that it was poxy. I've threatened to but have never actually done the event. Mainly cos it's an approximation of my every-weekend-spin the last 20 years, bit of a busman's holiday that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭gmacww

A couple of years ago it wasn't the best day. One of my marshal posts was turn right onto the N81. Will actually be there again this year. But it was ok until about 3 then it rained constant for a couple of hours. Not heavy but enough to annoy you on a bike. The rest of them have been great.

Now I never look at the weather until the day before. Anything longer than that is subject to change. Forecast has gotten better as the week has gone on mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,448 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I know it wasn't on the route every addition, but last year was the first time I saw the view from the Gap Road! Last year was good weather, at least as long as I was out on the road.

Unfortunately, I think family commitments on the afternoon look like they may rule me out this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Wavehopper

Is it possible to get a ticket for Reservoir Dogs on Sunday from someone who can't go and change the name and details for my own name, cycling ireland license, etc at registration on Monday morning or is this just not allowed? I wasn't meant to be free this Sun but plans just changed and looking to see if I can do it.

Ticket @ https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058261226/reservoir-dog-125km-entry#latest

Pretty sure that you can't transfer but you should be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Wavehopper

Thanks Seth for the reply and the link

Are the Gods smiling on us?

Here's the rain radar at 5am Sunday morning

And then at 9am!

It looks like it will be dry but cool with moderate wind

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭ofthelord

I did the Galway Gravel Grinder last weekend. Fingers crossed this event is held again next year - was a great 125km route, loved the mix of road/gravel/bog. Plan is to do the Lakelander Gravel next month also, hoping that route can match the Galway one for a good fun cycle

Lakelander was excellent last year, would love to do it again but it's just so far from Dublin - really need to stay over before and after, it's dark in the mornings and early evening in Oct so a horrible drive. And there's nothing in belcoo or black lion.

I found Galway a fair bit easier than lakelander though for that I was on MTB whereas gravel bike for Galway. Watch out for the photographer on the navar ending climb, he'll be there to catch you at your worst, it's a horrible slog of a climb. And worse still when we got up it, it was foggy so didn't even see the view which is supposed to be lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,300 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Of course when I wake up it's blue skies and sun shining, so skipping the dog in case of bad weather was a tremendous idea...everyone else, enjoy it!

• Advertisement

Ah you didn't miss much. Sunny skies, great organisation, tough route, and loads and loads of bloody cyclists wagging their lycra clad arses around as they held up all the traffic on the roads. Oh and a lovely burger, plenty of sandwiches and sweets and a cowbell. You were far better off in bed 😂

Advertisement