Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2022 DCM Novice Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭ccull123

Hi all,

I can only get two more runs in this week (wed, thurs) due to work and my OH going away the weekend.

I was going to do the pace and long run but wondering is this a good idea doing them so close together?

any advice appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

With all due respect, this is the wrong way to go about running a sub-4 marathon. If you have that kind of time in you, train for 4 hours and go out and do it on the day (or better). If you're a 4-hour runner aiming for 3:50, you'll end up running way over 4 hours.

You're putting in some good work with the running and the refereeing (let's call it cross training), but there's nothing yet to suggest that even 4 hours is realistic. We don't have race times to go on, but even so you'd have gotten through that 26k long run with a little less bother if you were trending towards 4 hour shape.

I think 4:10-4:15 is more realistic, to be honest, and that would not be a bad result. Do you have any plans to do a tune-up race at all? It would be very useful, both for giving you a realistic target and for helping you go through some of the routines of the big event.

Your instinct is right - it's not a good idea. You need recovery time from the pace session before doing the long run. It's a recipe for injury to do workouts back to back (and a long run is definitely a workout). Assuming you did the LR last week, do the scheduled pace session and ic you can't do the LR at the weekend, so be it - although maybe you could do it Monday and rejig the following week slightly?

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭ccull123

Thanks murph_d for the advice. I could actually squeeze the LR in Monday. Any advice as to what way to rejig the following week. Thanks again, much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Week 11 has no midweek pace session due to big LSR,s either side. Due to that, if you do the LR on Monday, I would suggest just taking Tuesday off and rolling backing into easy running on the Wednesday. You can then continue rest of week as planned(rest friday)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭TheRef

I did a parkrun in late February in 23:13 which resulted in very painful sore right shin for a few weeks. I had also signed up to a local 10 miler in the first week of March and took a chance in running in (as it was a local event and I already paid). The injury flared up again from the start which caused me some hobbling at the time, but I done that in 1hr 27:20.

With the VDOT, the 10 miler equates to a 4:01 marathon.

I also done a training run on Paddy's day - 22km @ 5:42min/km, so felt confident in a 4 hour marathon.

I will also be doing the Dublin half marathon, which should give me a good idea of where I am.

Being honest with myself, I think I am not getting enough rest, together with doing almost all LSRs after work in the heat of late afternoon. I have a LSR planned for tomorrow after work, and I would normally go for a run at lunch today, but I will instead take today as a rest day. I'll take Laineys advice and take a completely new route.

Good to have that additional info, but again it all points to training paces that are at best slightly above a 4-hour target (and that is being optimistic). VDOTs are great but I've done 15 marathons and I've yet to convert even my HM VDOT into the equivalent M performance. My 5k is way off. Just by way of warning that most people's 'equivalent performance' tails off for the longer distances - those are potential performances, however, so definitely something to aspire to - if you train appropriately.

The HM will give you a good idea alright. Until then I'd be keeping things conservative, training wise. You need endurance, not speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Thanks, but off tendon issues and muscles pulling on it. Dry needling and manipulation helped a bit. Lots of foam rolling and strength work in it to do. Hopefully another visit next week will put me right but need to stay off the hills. Just in from todays session and over egged the lane a little bit. 3rd fastest ever 10km apparently is about 10-15 seconds per km over where I should have been.

10-15s per km is huge overtraining in a session. Yikes. Is anyone listening to us?

Discipline is important. Steady, hoss! Especially with the tendon issues. It’s understandable enthusiasm but it won’t do you any good.

Sorry to rain on the 3rd fastest 10k parade but that’s not a stat you want to see in training! 😁

Oh I know that’s why I pointed it out. Not proud of it more beating myself up. Was finding it hard to get the pacing right. I got 3 of the 10km spot on pace wise but the others were just too hot. I caught myself at times and was able to reel it back but finding that sweet spot hard to hit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

Set a pace alert on your watch, it can be really handy.

I have had this specific watch for 6 years and did no know if had that feature. Thank you! Will give it a go and see if that helps.

I have noticed lately as well my watch is not as accurate as it used to be under tree cover etc so I might be going to slow, push the effort to get up to pace and then all of a sudden Im running 4:40 instead of 5:10. Not sure if its in my head or an actual thing. Thinking about upgrading soon if I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭py

It is an actual thing. Tree cover is a pain in the hole for intervals. If in a race, just keep the pace steady before the tree cover appears.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭TheRef

@Laineyfrecks, thanks for the suggestions of changing up my route and nutrition. Last night I ran 32km that was an out and back on a route I never done before, with a steady uphill for most the first half. I took gels every 45 mins. What felt different last night is that after 22km, I was thinking there was about 10km left, and 10km isn't particularly far.

@Murph_D, I also slowed down to a pace right down to what I considered 'conversational' (6:27min/km). I think without your advice, I would have continued trying to run what my watch was telling me rather than my body. Thanks.

The first 18km or so was pretty easy, and the next 8km wasn't what I would call difficult, but the at times long gradual downhills put some strain on my joints, so the last 6km was increasingly difficult. Soreness around the knees and hips (probably a sign of age), but I managed to complete the run and at times in the last 6km, I felt I could increase the pace, but didn't as didn't want tired legs become an injury.

I also thought that if I had to run another 10km, I could probably do it. I was worried a couple of days ago whether I could last the distance, but now I feel pretty confident.

Sore legs but really happy I managed to run the second longest distance in my life last night, and the longest distance since the 2008 Dublin Marathon.

Thank you mentors!

What consensus on swapping Saturdays and Sundays on the board plan. Swimming with my son has started back on Saturdays at 9:30 so I will struggle to get my long runs done now on a Saturday time wise

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Well done, delighted my advice was if some use🤣😊

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Magellanic

Also thinking this for this coming weekend as weather is awful tomorrow but reasonable on Sunday.

Is this OK or better to stick with with plan?

3 hours in rain sounds grim.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

I don't see any issue with swapping the long run around once Monday is truly a recovery run or a rest day.

But I will just add that unfortunately we can't pick the weather on race day, sometimes you just have to get out there no matter what the weather is, let's call it character building 😜

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭Adiaga 2

Same here. Wasn’t expecting it to be as bad today. Will see if it eases otherwise I’ll do it tomorrow and rest Monday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

Anyone have any tips on how to deal with blisters on the ball of your foot?

Also now I'm back to work I'm struggling to fit in 4 runs during the week. This week I only managed a 5k and 9k (which wasn't even the required length) but I did get a 24k run in today. Actually loved running in the rain. Depending on kids activities I might be able to get 3 runs in but again this week it's looking unlikely. Any tips? Is 3 runs a week okay do I need to rearrange my time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭onrail

Marathon hopes over for me I'm afraid. A niggle became an injury and after a couple of weeks of rehab and reduced mileage I'm calling it quits.

Best of luck everyone and hopefully see you on the starting line of DCM 2023

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Pinoy adventure

A beautiful morning for a very easy 30km around some of the route.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭E.coli

In terms of blisters Compeed really are the bees knees. Other than that best way to try an avoid them is try dry your feet prior to getting out for your runs.

As for fitting in 4 runs a week. If you can multi task and get 20-40 min during the activities it will be better than nothing

Outside of this best bits of advice are

• Morning Runs - Get out before people wake up. Morning's are usually best time to implement any sort of routine as you can get out before your mind has a chance to dissuade, stress has a chance to drain you or life has a chance of getting in the way. If you are not a morning person set it up so that you actually have to go out of your way not to get out the door. Leave your running clothes out the night before in a place that you have to literally climb over to do something else
    • Run mutes - Can you run from or two work a couple of times a week?

Cutting back to 3 runs a week will not be the making or breaking of the plan but the less you are able to get done the more you will rely on luck on the day. The aim of training is to build up strength and resilience. The deeper the well you have to tap into both physically and mentally on the day the better you will be equipped to deal with obstacles which will rear there head on the day

Ah, tis himself ! Hope your well.. @Sammy2012 - what E.coli said! I've tried other blister plasters but nothing comes close to compeed for me..

Sorry to hear that. That's a bummer! Recover well!

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭The Royal Scam

Head is all over the place. Got what I think are shin splints after my 21km last Sunday. Haven't run all week and dropped my LSR today, still feel strong but know sub 4 is gone. Just going to rest for a few more days and try get back to plan and not make up for lost runs.

Have been resting and icing every 5 hrs and buying calf sleeves tomorrow.

Fair play to everyone , you are flying

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

I am multi tasking as much as I can....running during GAA training for the duration of training and during one of their other weeks activities. Cant run to and from work as we live rurally. Not an option. Maybe could manage one early morning a week but we will see. Will get a Tuesday and Wed run this week and might swap the Thursday run to tomoro instead and then long run on sat....will continue to try keep all balls in the air as I've come this far so don't want to fall now!!!

Thanks for the tips re the plasters. Will pick up some tomorrow or Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

Sorry to hear that, best of luck with the recovery, there's always next year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭Adiaga 2

Sorry to hear this. Good luck with your recovery and much better days ahead!

Advertisement