Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Creosote posts

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭cacs

Jonny303 wrote: »
    Slightly off Topic but only as they've been mentioned here.

Macnamara Fencing, anyone have much experience of dealing with them? Looking at buying quite a bit off them but haven't dealt with them before

I bought off the them a few times they are gets. I have theirs in since 2015. I was only nailing a few staples into them last day and I did notice how hard the timber was compared to another cresouted post I bought the same year. Buy the rough posts the smooth ones Don’t seem to go as black as the rough ones. Just seem a better post

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭hopeso

It looks like creosote posts are the next thing to be banned. My supplier told me a few months ago that they were going to be taken off the market, but I didn’t know if it was right or wrong as I heard nothing else about it until today, when an article from the Irish independent came up on my phone, stating that they will be banned in Europe early next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Yea it won’t be available after the spring time, I see ads for alternative treated posts

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Creocote is the alternative and from what I've read it is not near as good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭Glaceon

I thought they were banned already but obviously not. It used to be possible to go up to a CIE/Irish Rail depot and get old wooden railway sleepers but the creosote was a problem.

• Advertisement

Final decision is due in October I heard....looking likely to be banned though

New treatment is double cost per stake than creosote

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Is the new treatment creocote and whats its performance like in comparison?

I dunno,it was the lad I buy stakes off told me,going from e2.50 to circa e5 a stake to treat em apparently

Seemingly cresote contains arsenic,so I'd assume it's well on well to be banned.....pity because it's great stuff to hold,wouldn't like to work all day with it mind

Advertisement