Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Council Tennant Rent Arrears

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,760 ✭✭✭✭L1011

There's two types of arrears here - a few people in absolutely huge arrears, and lots of lots of people with one month or so, or who are refusing to pay an increase due to a dispute (possibly completely spurious dispute of course)

The number of people in huge arrears is probably not disproportionate to private rental or mortgage holders I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,931 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

😂😂

I'd put a large bet on saying that the number of arrears in council tenants is FAR higher than the private sector, difference is in the private sector they can be evicted for rent arrears, and probably will be, not a hope of that happening with the council

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Been talking about it for years,in some cases large parts of estates in arrears not just random individuals ,and they are hardly paying extortionate rents in case less than €50 pw and yet in arrears, but there is little or nothing the councils can do , threaten legal action and the tenant in arrears or refusing to pay gets free legal aid and it drags on for years,I know one case where over 25k was owed over a number of years and it took sdcc over 10 years to secure an eviction.

If councils aren't willing to take action the housing stock should be transferred to a new housing authority who has the ability to collect and clear arrears or eviction within certain period

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Oscar Madison

Rent should be deducted from social welfare or from pay! Too lax in this country!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,936 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Evict them to where, exactly? Or are hedgerows cool again?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Notmything

For most people in arrears it's usually addressed through paying extra every week. And usually it's because of a change in circumstances or something like that

However, there are always people who take advantage of the system and are happy to gamble that the council won't evict them. They'll pay rent for a few years and then start to pay sporadically. They engage with the council and might make a few more payments before stopping again. It's a vicious cycle.

I was aware of a family in who were in arrears of over 50 grand at one stage. They would get SVdP to help them when they needed to get the council off their back.

Reality is most councils won't evict for arrears as the family just stays on the list anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,760 ✭✭✭✭L1011

You missed the word huge. 185 of them, and not a constant replenishment of that number

Do you think there's less than 185 overholding cases going on?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

That's their problem,

What do they expect live in a house and don't pay rent and face no consequences but mortgage holder stops paying their repayments they lose their property through the courts,

So honest working families face action but don't pay rent in a council house zero action is taken.

Hardly fair

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DubCount

Unless the Councils take action, there wont be a solution. Its just too easy to not pay when there are no consequences. Where arears reach a certain level (maybe 5k), evict them into a homeless shelter and put them to the bottom of the housing list. If there is a risk of loosing their "forever home" which is real and there are examples of others being evicted, they might put paying council rent higher up their priorities.

Wont happen though - Joe & Jane Taxpayer will just keep paying the bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭Elessar

Is stopping paying your bills and having no consequences for your actions cool too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭dennis72

If they can't give a verifiable reason

Name and shame

Especially the ones who reside abroad.

In a side note, I knew someone who was has now returned after a couple of years.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Registered Users Posts: 25,936 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭dennis72

No, i also reside abroad, but if I was a neighbour or a close contact in ireland I would have.

This person was holding a property with assistance in that area and was advertising its address.

Councils are not effected if they ignore, there should be a reduced LPT penalty on them.

Advertisement