Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2022 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Dazler97

• Registered Users Posts: 6,886 ✭✭✭sporina

totally - I noticed a difference Aug 4th...even shadows wer longer

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭Cumhachtach

And to think we hit 29.1c with a sun angle the same as 10 April! Of course heat build up on the land after a good summer and a feed from the south or continent hitting us helps.

Ye even the end of july i noticed and was crazy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Maxed at 22.9c in southern Laois today, August 31st. The cooling of daily maxes trend continues as we cross now on over into Autumn. We sent up a drone this evening to have a look across the dry landscape before the sun set on this amazing second half to Summer 2022. Some of the greener fields - especially notable in the last photo is nearby to us where 22.4mm was recorded on August 15th - quite the difference!

Was 95 as dry for you Danno by the end of August?

It was worse in the Bilboa area than this year. I see the Oak Park mean temp is 16.9c, 1.6c above average. Kilkenny had a mean of 18.9c for August 1995, 2 degrees warmer than this August. August 1995 was a freakish month, like December 2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,886 ✭✭✭sporina

yep - I really hated that heatwave that we had (down here in Cork anyway) in July.. so hot and humid but just grey/white skies.. yuk.. August has been fab.. blue skies galore.. sunshine and air/breeze later on... been loving the weather the last 2 weeks in particular.. and the low sun.. lots of pretty colourful photos and big juicy blackberries had.. hmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Artane2002

I would rate this summer as slightly better than average. We had a disappointing June and a borderline poor July here but the fantastic August and the prevalence of dry conditions tips the summer as a whole into the above average category.

Each to their own. I suppose for meteorology we need defined seasons to compare with previous years and get average climate stats.

You can have beautiful weather in October. Calm, sunny and pleasantly warm at 16-19c. However for me it's not summer. It gets bright at 8am, as opposed to 5am mid summer. It gets dark at 6.30pm in mid October, as opposed to 10pm mid summer. Even after a warm October day your night time temps aren't summery, about 5-9c or lower with ground frost. Most of the summer flowers are out of bloom. You have leaves changed to autumnal colours, and they're falling because it's 'The Fall' not because of drought.

On the 21 October you are 4 months from the summer solstice. The same amount of time from summer solstice as 21 February.

October is far removed from summer but it can bring beautiful summer like weather in the daytime. Much like April isn't winter but can bring wintery weather.

• Advertisement

Ah i enjoyed the heat don't get me wrong but yes we'll have alot of rain the next 10 days by the looks of it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,629 ✭✭✭obi604

Yep. In my back garden during June etc, get sun up to 7pm. Now the sun is completely gone at 5pm (height of the house and shadow etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Orion402

Declination or the downward and upward spiral of the Sun is a property of the Earth's two surface rotations acting in combination across the year. Presently, the Earth rotational orientation runs Northwest to Southeast relative to the orbital plane and the enormous central Sun-

On the June/Dec Solstices, the orientation runs West to East with different arcs-

On the March Equinox, the orientation runs Southwest to Northeast relative to the orbital plane, but there are no accurate time lapse videos to represent this fact.

It takes a different type of observer who can handle cause and effect properly and unfortunately, few presently have that type of perceptive ability even when it will change in time-

"He [Copernicus] thus speaks of "sunrise" and "sunset," of the "rising and setting" of the stars, of changes in the obliquity of the ecliptic and of variations in the equinoctial points, of the mean motion and variations in motion of the sun, and so on. All these things really relate to the earth, but since we are fixed to the earth and consequently share in its every motion, we cannot discover them in the earth directly, and are obliged to refer them to the heavenly bodies in which they make their appearance to us. Hence we name them as if they took place where they appear to us to take place; and from this one may see how natural it is to accommodate things to our customary way of seeing them. " Galileo

It is a balance on what is being discussed as planetary climate is based on planetary dynamics in a Sun-centred system so 'sun-angle' is for those who would be comfortable with a geocentric of a homocentric (RA/Dec modelling) framework.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭highdef

Was partly cloudy in Baldoyle, Dublin up till recently. It's now becoming mostly cloudy. Additionally, it's cool and breezy. Probably something to do with the Earth's two surface rotations acting in combination. Or maybe something to with the almighty god. But I won't endure you all with such notions as this section of Boards is generally not for Astronomy talk and most definitely is not a platform for religious talk.

A rather apt first day of metrological autumn, here in this metrological section of Boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,612 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Depending on region from a brief glance at the stats, it looks like August 2022 will have been either the warmest since 2003 or 1995 and the sunniest since 1995. Second sunniest August on record for Shannon Airport.

Cork Airport also provisionally had its driest August since 1995. Most had a drier August in 2003.

Look forward to the next great August in 2041.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭snowgal

All I know is in July I was out until about 8.45 with the sun still shining at the end of the garden, yesterday it was gone by 6.45, thats my science input! 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭appledrop

Yea the big difference at this time of year is usually cooler evenings even if its a scorcher of a day .

Mainly due as you said to sun disappearing earlier in evening in peoples garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭appledrop

Still another beautiful morning here in NCD. It is windier but we were still grand on early walk to school in short sleeves.

It probably helps that we walk briskly as usually tight for time😃

• Registered Users Posts: 4,347 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

There will be no mistaking the next fortnight for summer if the GFS is right. Thankgod I'm heading to the canaries in a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,643 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Third glorious day in a row here in North donegal.

Mostly clear blue skies. Only the odd cloud seen this week.

Unfortunately it's going to be the last for a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,399 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Yep no matter what the summer weather, it's vital to get outside and embrace the light because it is rapidly disappearing. I finished my swim in semi darkness last night despite it still feeling very summery.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,069 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Not sure where you are based but here in Dublin I would say that this was a fantastic summer...much better than average. June wasn't great but July and August were great. A summer to remember for sure

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Summer 2022, my favourite summer since 1995. June wasn't great, but it wasn't that bad either, i've seen alot worse Junes in recent times such as 2021. First few days of July were dissapointing but since the 5th of July the summer has been solidly warm to very warm and bags of sunshine and very little in the way of rainfall. The hottest part of the summer for me was definitely the July heatwave, pity it didn't last a big longer but we had plenty of very warm days throughout the month. August has been something special, the first decent August in well over 15 years. The very sunny heatwave in August was the best spell of weather for the summer although temperatures here in Meath were nowhere near the level as the July heatwave due to sea breezes, it was much more sunnier and felt just as hot on the first few days.

Between July and August I think we only had about 10 days in total that failed to reach 20C or more and most of those days got to around 19C anyway so we almost had an unbroken run of 20C+ for 2 solid months. I am dreading the incoming very unsettled spell of weather that may dominate the first half to September. Summer 2022 will be missed and never forgotten.

It's sad isn't it, i love summer but only feels like a week or two and then it's gone, winter feels years haha

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Convection only forming cloud in the Easterly 10 miles inland from the Coast....so another gin blue sky day in the Costa Del Bray and Playa Del Arklow.

That said, I can't wait for a good downpour and to start to see the yellow straw-like grass turn green again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Artane2002

I'm also in Dublin, July finished duller than average by a good margin. It was the third July in a row to contain lengthy stretches of very cloudy weather. Dry and warm alone don't cut it for me, sunshine is more important. It's a shame in my opinion that very sunny months such as August 2010 and even April 2021 are forgotten about or criticised here just because they were cool while months such as June 2021 and July 2022 are severely overrated just because they were very dry and warm. July 2022 was a continuation of May and June 2022, which were heavily criticised here (and overly so), but it seems losing the wind made all the difference for people.

Was a very dull summer overall in Donegal. Image below doesn’t include Donegal but you can guess how bad it was. East ulster was around average or above average but their average is way above our average sunshine to begin with so a huge contrast over a small area.

“In NIreland, August brought 189 hours of sunshine, more than July (96 hours) or June (108 hours), ranking as the 5th sunniest August on record for Northern Ireland. However, the start to the summer means that for some areas it has been a dull summer, as the country of Derry recorded their 5th dullest summer on record.” 

Sun almost out of the garden and it's only 6, sun flowers are about 6 ft 5"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

For me this was one of the best summers in Dublin that i can remember. July and August exceptionally good, admittedly June was much cooler than normal but not that wet. July and August were superb with temperatures nearly constantly in the 20s by day. We will struggle to beat this Summer for a long time I reckon.

Artane 2002, how on earth you would consider this an average enough summer is beyond me. Dublin has been over 20 degrees and dry for about 45 of the last 60 days. We have had countless days in the mid 20s, a number of days in the high 20s and even temps as high as 33 degrees recorded in Phoenix park this summer. You obviously have crazy high expectations if you dont rank this among the best summers in memory. Even the past week has been near constant blue skies, though not as warm as previous weeks.

I definitely would give this summer a 8.5/10 for Dublin

• Advertisement

This summer here in Carrick has definitely beaten last year and 2018 for that matter, we got 8 days of 30c or more and I'd say 25 days of 25c, i wonder will a Arctic winter follow

Advertisement