Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread XIV (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,547 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

You have posted this prediction over and over and over and over; this constant insistence Ireland were about to leave the EUs key pillars. Even pointing at a specific deadline at the time as the point it was about to happen. Should we dig out the posts?. Wait until we see, here it comes. Then It doesn't. So you disappear for a.month or two only to return and start the same rhetoric. The cycle is pretty transparent at this stage and is why you're called out on it each time.

By all means be anti EU but stop with the tedious repetition masked as concern or deep analysis.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Brexit has affected our economy, but how much it is up to Brexit is hard to determine, because global issues have affected it far more - Covid and the Ukraine war have been massive global interruptions.

Energy prices have risen because of the Russian invasion of Ukraine, but the UK appear to be affected more than we have been. Global supply chains have been severely interrupted by Covid lockdowns.

Covid has been an appalling disaster to befall not just us or the UK, but Europe and the whole world. We appear to be bouncing back better than most, and certainly better than the UK.

The electronic chip shortage has affected the motor trade, but that is global. Second hand cars have gone up in price, but when it is second hand houses, that is seen as good (for those that own houses). We will just have to get used to buying new rather than second hand cars, and keeping cars longer. Already, you see new coaches on the roads rather than the old clapped out GB ones wending their smoky way down the motorways.

The trade with GB appears to be affected, but an increase of trade with NI is compensating. We import less from GB, which is not to our disadvantage. As for the single market, we do not appear to be swamped with dodgy goods sneaking across the Fermanagh border in the dead of night - or at least no more than usual. The UK standards have yet to deviate significantly from EU standards.

So where is the harm?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,783 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I don't think Brexit has hindered the EU at all. I think it would have done the opposite were it not for the various crises that the EU has had to face since the global financial crash onwards.

I agree with the rest of your post. The Tories aren't the sort of people who'll feel the pain from a trade war, hence their enthusiasm for one. They simply don't care about anything but themselves. That's a popular and easy thing to say about politicians but in this case, it really does seem to be true.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭yagan

Brexit has certainly made the benefits more obvious, but with chapters opened with Ukraine and Moldova I don't think it's the end of expansion. It's not an empire, it's a rationalisation of nations pooling sovereignty in a world of rising competing trade blocs. Edit to add we hear virtually zero about the RCEP yet it will accelerate the worlds economic centre of gravity back east.

The problem I've seen from living in England is that many voters there feel that the UKs economy is the same size as the EU and is central to world trade. Their head whispers that that's not true, but it's how they feel.

Post edited by yagan on

• Registered Users Posts: 26,107 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

It's shocking how many think that just cause they can still bomb the bollix off the likes of Iraq that they are a global power.

I mean ya they are a big one but definitely division 2 behind the super powers.

• Advertisement

They became a weapons outfitter for dubious clients after the end of empire so in that respect they are a arms dealer world power, but now estranged from their largest trade partner those dubious arms deals and associated wealth offshoring can be used against them in trade disputes with the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,666 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

This was one of the central arguments of the Brexiteers and right wing press (the likes of Daniel Hannan and others) - that the UK was so big and powerful, that it didn't even need the EU. If anything, the EU was holding it back from reaching its true potential as a nation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Ah now you should be more honest. That "I want it reformed" is a crock, and is what the far right and left all over Europe seem to have latched onto as a cover story because they've realised just openly saying they want to leave the EU isn't a popular policy in their manifestos. They've decided keeping a bit quiet on their EU-feelings and wrecking it from the inside is better after Brexit was such a fiasco. I suppose they think the electorates all have attention span of a squirrel or memory of a goldfish, maybe they are right!

I do agree with you that I don't think the response to the UK + their general hostility post Brexit has been firm enough so far, though I fully understand the reasons, and it has nothing to do with shafting Ireland. What do you make of the fact that it is likely imo the Irish govt. is one party inside the EU that blunts a firmer response? Am I incorrect about that? How can you swing blaming "the EU" for the fact that Irish govt. is imo quite scared of the UK govt., knows well it is Ireland that will bear alot of the brunt if/when the EU takes the gloves off, and has agreed with waiting it out and hoping for some kind of political change in the UK? I can't think of a way to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭fash

Yes that's the thing: the EU takes its lead from the member state most affected- that means from Ireland. What does Kermit think of Ireland's response - and why doesn't he call that out?

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭FraserburghFreddie

I would take alot of the false bravado projected by some on this thread with a pinch of salt.Brexit has affected Ireland.Whilst the rest of Europe has moved on,there appears a fear Ireland will be let down by Brussels which seems unwilling to put the UK in its place,thus enabling the tory government to push further.

Perhaps the EU is loathe to put the UK economy into true free fall as the chain reaction it might cause could affect the EU.There's a reason Russia meddled in brexit happening and it wasn't just to weaken the UK.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,547 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Nobody is naive to the effect Brexit has had on the EU and Irish economies. But that that very logic of reality, it backs up the need for the EU to take careful considered responses:, there's no rational sense in the EU detonating the UK economy with sanctions or more punitive action beyond the legal mechanisms already enacted. This is a bind, caused by one Bad Faith faction knowing that it can antagonise as much as possible because the adults on the other side aren't China or Russia and won't simply act more aggressively. Ironically, the Irish border is possibly saving the UK from that response because without a land border, some in the EU might have already spoken of nuclear solutions to a hostile neighbour refusing to behave like the ancient and sober nation it once was.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,002 ✭✭✭Christy42

Brexit was always going to hurt Ireland but I don't believe the UK should be forced to remain because of that. Nor do I feel Brussels should put into free fall for this decision.

The EU simply needs to stick to the agreements that have been made and ignore the noise that is just rabble rousing in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,104 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Its difficult to argue that Brexit has had any appreciable effect on the Irish economy at all.

In fairness to the Government and the relevant State agencies, they spent the 4 years post-referendum - while the Brits were fighting with themselves over what Brexit was and what they actually wanted - quietly divesting our trade from British reliance, with the result that by last year, it constitutes only 11% of our market. And at the same time, they substituted new markets and customers and industry niches that were entirely independent of British fortunes.

The result is, we've maintained stronger growth through Covid than pretty much any First World economy and we are likely to see only a brief paper recession this winter, if at all, while Britain is facing a catastrophic extended period of stagflation.

That situation didn't happen by accident.

We would scarcely be even discussing Brexit vis-a-vis impact on Ireland but for the fact that the Tory Govt, plus their enablers in the English right wing press, keep bringing up the idea of binning the Protocol. But for that, everyone in Ireland would have long since moved on from the topic.

Single Market membership may well be the thing that prevents us going into recession at any point in the next 2-3 years. Conversely, the Leave crowd keep flatly denying that Brexit has had any negative impact on their (UK) economy and yet are struggling to explain why it is in very bad shape at the moment.

Agree with everything except the "struggling" part. They're hand waving the economic woes with mentions that everywhere is experiencing a downturn; but it's only for the inept or outright client journalism that ensures no examination is applied to the relativity of the UK's slump compared with the rest of Europe. The government should be getting grilled about Brexits multiplicative effect - but isn't.

I think the penny is dropping though. Sure, you have Tory MPs and Daily Telegraph opinion writers denying everything, but we're seeing a huge amount of criticism of Brexit on social media. Where are the supposed Brexit benefits in 2022? Even the hardcore Europhobes can't identify any.

For sure social media shows the loudest, angriest cohort against the myth of Brexit Benefits, but unfortunately we can't discount the continued, disproportionate effect of print media on older demographics within the heartlands of pro Brexit England. Until certain newspapers find their nerve and start drawing the line between encroaching destitution and Brexit, in big red marker, the numbers buying into the myth, to prop up Tory (Brexit) support will continue IMO.

I do think if the Tories are booted from office in disgrace, people will fully be able to make the connection between them falling from grace and the Brexit disaster. Brexit was always one million per cent a Tory thing, from Cameron and May through to Johnson and Truss. Whether a success or failure, it could only ever be linked to the Tory Party.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,414 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I can’t see brexit being reversed anytime soon. Maybe closer links and agreements with the EU in time

It won't be reversed any time in the next 10-20 years but we may see a general admission that it is an abject failure. The far right English press and Tory MPs are already fighting a losing battle in trying to defend it and acclaim it as being wonderful - the mood in England might be quite ugly in a couple of years' time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭mazdamiatamx5

Would agree. I think Farage and JRB have already admitted that the results of Brexit have been disappointing (without of course renouncing it).

The reality is, like or loathe him, Cameron pointed out all the pitfalls associated with leaving the EU in this mammoth 2 and a half hour PM's Question Time session, held four months before the referendum:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hex78gJebOo&ab_channel=Channel4News

The only way brexit will be reversed is if the UK itself dissolves.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I don't think it can be reversed per se. I don't believe that you will ever see the UK as a member of the EU again.

It will be a long time before England will be welcomed back into the union. Sco & NI will, as @yagan says leave the UK, possibly sooner rather than later, and they will join the EU. Wales will probably hang onto England's coattails.

However, the behaviour of successive English governments, both as an EU member and also as and after they left the union, won't be forgotten for some time. The EU has no immediate need for the UK to become a member and can take their time to be sure that any English attempt to rejoin will be as a participatory member and not as they used to be.

So to get to that point, England has to do a lot of soul searching about it's place in the world. Given their current political and media landscape, this will take a long, long time (several decades).

It may take decades or a few years of social collapse for England to ditch its notion of greatness.

I always remember an Irish friend living in London for years coming up to visit us in north England and they were shocked by how much of a different country this England was to them.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Agreed..

The EU has no great need to readmit the UK into the EU any time soon.

A more sensible UK Government would look to soften the deal in terms of market access and accepting the Irish sea border for NI, which resolves all the UK issues but prevents them from having a vote in EU matters.

What actual benefit would the EU derive from having them back in?

They would certainly be completely inadmissible at the moment. Much of the English public, media and ruling class are hardcore Europhobes (ignore the "love Europe, hate the EU" stuff.....they hate Europe in general). It would take major changes in attitudes before the EU would even contemplate having them back.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,783 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The government decided to spend 4 times as much on a festival of Brexit than on the Diamond Jubilee and, well:

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 13,540 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

I think Larry would actually make a better PM, liked that image you posted.

*Laugh*, targeted 66m and got 238K who were probably lost and looking for the loo. Launched in 2018!

Still, no doubt Tory backers got their share of that £120m.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,637 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Ian Dunt made the valid claim that if Remoaners were really so well organised to be able to cause all this trouble then they would have been organised enough to stop Brexit in the first place.

But as with Trump in the US, they need a mythical 'enemy' that thwarts everything. The plan would have worked, if only for you pesky kids.

• Advertisement

The Festival of Brexit: lord but I had completely forgotten about that boondoggle. Those are some shocking numbers; I would have just presumed the whole enterprise, not that it was a Sunk Cost disaster.

Advertisement