Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching electric/gas providers (see first post for links)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭bugsyb4

Just switched last few days and their rates were best by far and rang around all the providers.

So hopefully if do a price increase which I say is likely it will just bring them back to the rest of the pack.

I find their Rewards quite good too, although losing Tesco one was a bit of a sickener..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭gunnerfitzy

Got seriously bitten by FloGas with their massive increases. Worth noting that if you break the contract for any reason the cashback will be reclaimed. So I now never take cashback into account when choosing a supplier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

I have a smart meter and smart plan and it has allowed me change my usage pattern and dramatically reduce bills. Immersion, Washing machine, dishwasher and tumble dryer (when needed) are on during the low rate. We also now do the ironing early

Most use is timed for 2-4am at about 9c a unit, tumble dry / ironing is before 8am.

Last month's bill was €94. Last summer the 2 month bill was €243

Its not for everyone, but very quickly it becomes the norm. A little effort and understanding of how it works can literally save you hundreds.

And expect increases from all suppliers, but there is hope with the EU's determination to change pricing structure and that could mean we will not see the rates that UK consumers are paying (52p from Oct 1st and estimated 76p from Jan 1st - and no discounts available on those rates either)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Im not sure if you can refuse the actual smart meter, its their equipment at the side of your house and they can swap it over as they see fit. Only thing you can do is avoid a smart plan which all seem to be about punishing people for using electricity from 5-7pm.

Ive read in other countries with smart meters they charge more for units at the peak 5-7pm to discourage the use of tumble dryers, dishwashers during those times but that is then offset by cheaper unit rates outside of those hours. But this is Ireland so we get shafted with a high day unit rate and an even higher one for 5-7pm on these 'smart' plans. So I'll be avoiding these plans but have no doubt at some stage they are going to make them mandatory. Which is basically like another price increase because people need to cook dinner from 5-7pm and they'll force everyone in to paying even more than now to do so.

What did you do in the end after Airtricty gave notice to put up their rates by 35% last Friday? I had switched to them but rang them this afternoon to cancel the contract under the 14 day cooling off period. There was no attempt to keep me as a customer, he just cancelled it and said good bye.

Then rang Energia in an attempt to get the 37% off discount but the rep there said 30% is the most he could do. Will ring again tomorrow and see if someone else can give it to me, if not I'll have to accept the 30% discount and then a likely price rise in Sept/Oct that wlll wipe most of that out anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Blinked_Missed It

Just as a heads up and not a nice one but Electric Ireland have just changed their offers in the last hour or two. The old discounts appear to have disappeared and new even worse offers are up. They do now give you 150 cash back though to compensate.

Electricity unit price

Was 24.42. Now 28.64c per kWh

Gas unit price

Was 7.46. Now 9.133c per kWh

Was literally about to swap to them today and South Park like 'and it's gone'. Energia it is for me it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Moving2017

Thanks! I was going to pull the trigger on this soon too. It seems impossible to do any research before the hour you’re ready to switch! Seriously annoying!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Why is it that if your mobile provider changes it's price, you get an option to break contract, but not for energy providers? If it's legislation related, then that's one thing they could change sharpish. That or the regulator introduces some form of legitimate break terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭lenoude

The 26% discount on the unit price for Electric Ireland is still available on bonkers, seems to be exclusive to there now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭KildareP

Saw that, I switched earlier this week having been shafted by BGE supposedly charging me incorrect rates which they bumped to exhorbitant figures, then signed up to SSE only for them to jack their prices.

Another thing I've noticed with EI is they've now brought their nightsaver unit rates up to be pretty much in line with their various smart time of use plans, i.e. more expensive, whereas nightsaver was cheapest by far prior. SSE have done similar with their price increase, albeit with the punitive peak rate staying exclusive to the smart plan.

I'd say anyone in a position to, get locked into Energia's EV plan with the fixed rates ASAP as it looks like the cheaper nightrate plans are about to go the way of the meters they run on and all plans are going to be hiked repeatedly going forward throughout winter and beyond...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Gooser14

EI EnergySaver 30% discount is also still available on bonkers. I wonder how long before it changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Fishdoodle

I'd say anyone in a position to, get locked into Energia's EV plan with the fixed rates ASAP as it looks like the cheaper nightrate plans are about to go the way of the meters they run on and all plans are going to be hiked repeatedly going forward throughout winter and beyond...

The Energia night rate for EV’s look great -the day rate is quite high. I don’t think there’s any fixed rate plan , so seems we’re all at the mercy of fluctuating prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭keos

Was onto Energia earlier today and asked about any Fixed rate plans they have. Been told the EV plan has fixed rates, but you need to have a day / night meter to sign up for it. I have a smart meter, so didn't ask details about the rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Fishdoodle

👍Interesting, had no idea they did fixed rates. When you go over a certain amount of units per month the rate increases by a lot though!

Well worth knowing how many units are used on average in a household -makes the calculations on Bonkers far more accurate.

Was looking at that EV plan on Energia but does anyone know if they ask for proof that you have a EV charger? Could you just say you charge your EV with a granny cable using normal three pin sockets and get it that way. It is a bit cheaper than their regular plan and fixed rates would be a huge bonus for the next 12 months. It doesnt seem to say on their website that it is fixed rates but it doesnt say it is variable either, I cant see anywhere where it is denoted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭quinnd6

It seem you can't really count on anything when changing electricity companies except for getting royally screwed.

Like what's the bloody point in even using Bonkers to make a saving if right after you change companies they can go jack up the price so you're paying the same or more than you were with the company you just left and were getting ripped off with.

We have zero protection here.

The electricity companies can keep raising the price to infinity and nobody blinks an eyelid. How about people go tothe dail and protest against the rising prices instead of looking after only number one and looking for wage increases so the rest of us who aren't working in their sector get screwed and can't afford to pay our bills anymore. It's that selfish "I want a wage increase and I'm all that matters" mentality that leaves less well off people completely screwed.

Anyway my point is people need to start protesting against the actual rising prices of electricity or the electricity companies get away with it and we'll all be screwed.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,118 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Guess the companies who are yet to increase prices...

Post edited by zell12 on

Day rate is high but at the rate of increases it could well end up looking extremely good soon!

Energia have now upped the rates slightly (or scaled back the discounts?) on the EV Plan for new sign ups...

Standing: €296.40

Day: 29.82c

Night: 8.59c

Another heads up. This time on Bord Gais and better news. Got an email from One Big Switch this morning offering 33% off both electricity and gas. From OBS website

Electricity Discounted Unit Rate: 22.16c/kWh. Annual electricity standing charge €281.12. All figures include VAT

Gas Discounted Unit Rate: 6.58c/kWh. Annual gas standing charge €169.4. All figures include VAT

OBS states this offer is open to both new and existing customers.

https://onebigswitch.ie/offers/energy

I've been with Bord Gais for the last year and have just gone out of contract in the last few days. Having been bounced from pillar to post in the last week by BG from their customer service team to Smart team to discount team to sales team refusing to honour their offer made the week earlier when I was still in contract to stay on my 39% and 31% offer this seems like the better deal compared to Energia which I signed up for only yesterday.

Anyone know since I've applied for Energia online yesterday what should I do now to go with Bord Gais again. Do I just fill in the form on the One Big Switch website?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭SnuggyBear

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Looks good what are people's experience of One Big Switch? IIRC BG last increased their prices at the start of May. So are we potentially looking at an increase that wipes out that 33% discount from November 1st I wonder!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Moved from EI to BG on the 39/39 dual fuel deal. Happy with that and decent rates at 20c/6c

I was literally looking at the EV Plan on Energia last night at 11.30pm and comparing it to the regular 27% discount plan. I took a note of it while doing some calculations on my day and night unit usage. The EV Plan was a 31% discount off standard rates making it-

Standing 296.40

Day 27.43c

Night 7.9c

Now today the 31% discount has been reduced to 25% and the unit rates have been put up literally overnight, its unreal

@Blinked_Missed It

Anyone know since I've applied for Energia online yesterday what should I do now to go with Bord Gais again. Do I just fill in the form on the One Big Switch website?

Just to be sure I would ring Energia direct to cancel the contract under the 14 day cooling off period and also ask them for an email confirming the same. Last thing you want is a direct debit going through and then all the hassle of getting that money back, could take weeks.

Thanks. I gave them a ring. They did try to convince me to stick with them, a bit pushy perhaps, but then that is their job so you can't blame them. Frankly it must be tough working for any of the providers these days as everyone is under pressure, both staff and customers.

When I rang them up to cancel the sales guy was very pushy, even pointing out that Energia have no plans to put up their prices even though we all know they definitey will. I had the same with them two years ago as well, asked the rep about price increases and he said 'we have no plans to put them up', 8 weeks later they went up.

@KildareP when you signed up for the Energia EV Plan did they ask for some kind of proof that you have an EV or EV charger? Also is it defiinitely a fixed unit rate for the entire 12 months?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,949 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Electric Ireland going up again. Getting mad now

https://www.thejournal.ie/eelctric-ireland-price-increase-5855040-Sep2022/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Advertisement