Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cutting 6 inch skirting

• 29-08-2022 12:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,432 ✭✭✭

Has anyone any recommendations on how to accurately cut 6 inch skirting without the need for a mitre saw? Am I just better off buying or renting a mitre saw for this once off job or can anyone recommend a reliable way to cut 45 degree angles into 6 inch high skirting? I have not seen a mitre box that can do this height skirting

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,214 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

How may cuts do you need and are they inside or outside?

The traditional mitre box for for deep skirting is shown here https://www.wonkeedonkeetools.co.uk/mitre-boxes-blocks/what-are-the-different-types-of-mitre-box

but not seen one in years. Suspect because its nearly always done with a compound mitre saw.

Faithful used to do one but its not in the current catalogue

Some on ebay.co.uk and Amazon list this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/Emir-EMI289-9-Inch-Skirting-Board/dp/B0001P03BK but not in stock.

Best I can come up with https://www.amazon.co.uk/DRAPER-325MM-180MM-60MM-MITRE/dp/B00DUC66QC/

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭C. Eastwood

Retain a Carpenter & Joiner. Joiners are trained in cutting mitres with a panel saw.

• Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I know this is a valid answer and all, but this is the DIY forum, right?

If he wanted that sort of answer he'd have gone to the yellow pages instead. 😁

Just back from the local builders merchants and spotted they had a version of the one in my last link above which you can "retain" forever or as long as it lasts for about €16 euro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭whizbang

Make your own.

You dont need to be that accurate. As long as the cut is greater than 45deg for an external corner, you will have a gap behind the joint -only a small bit visible on top which can be filled easily.

Less than 45deg for internal corner does the same job.

the only important bit is the cuts need to be at the same angle; but then you realise your walls weren't that straight to need perfect angles anyway.

• Advertisement

Unskilled and untrained people should not be using Chop saws.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,166 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Apart from the fact that nobody has recommended using a powered mitre saw, "chop" saw safety isn't rocket science, a few minutes on Youtube or reading would sort you out. They're not particularly dangerous, there's probably more injuries from falling off ladders than mitre saws. Table saws, sure, even experienced operators lose fingers.

Anyway, what are you doing posting in a DIY forum if you don't think people should be fitting skirting boards themselves?

• Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Give it a rest.

I am sure the OP has the adequate amount of common sense to avoid injury, and I have no idea where you got the idea that he is unskilled.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭GalwayMan74

Would you ever go away with this shite.

Its your answer for everything on a DIY forum.

Anyway, if you think lads are fitting skirting boards with panel saws in this day and age you haven't a clue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,350 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

You'll need an architect to measure the lengths aswel, have you told your insurance company about this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Are you mad- for putting up a bit of skirting the minimum you would want to retain is a full design team and a full construction team.

They can then direct you to use your mitre box to cut the skirting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,934 ✭✭✭chooseusername

If there's no external corners like a chimney breast, assuming it's ogee or torus, butt the corners, use a coping saw to cut the profile.

A bit of practice and you'll be grand.

For all the very informative DIY replies the OP got here, maybe they should have used the golden pages as mentioned above.

The OP was asked - are the mitres internal or external? - and no confirmation of this was received.

However, most rooms will have 4 Nr. Internal mitres. Some rooms might have 5 Nr. internal mitres and 1 Nr. external mitre or 6 internal and 2 external.

All the wonderful brilliant DIY experts here, apart from their usual criticism, as usual, did not give the OP advice that a simple Scribed Internal Joints in Skirting boards are superior to Mitring, and very simply to cut.

(Note to OP, I’m unable to use some of the words used here above by the clique, because if I use such words I will get another warning.)

They have claimed that this is a DIY forum, and that all the DIY Experts on this forum will furnish you with all the fabulous DIY advice needed.

External joints in skirting boards must be mitred.

The clique Experts above will explain why Scribed internal shirting board joints are better than Mitred joints.

It is easier to cut an external mitre joint with a hand Panel saw, than cutting an internal mitre.

See Scribed joint here-

To cut the Scribed joint you will need a Coping Saw which costs approx €8.

There are a few methods of accurately making the scribe line on the skirting boards and the Expert Clique DIY’ers above will inform you how to mark the line needed to cut with the coping saw.

You only have to wait…………..

"the clique experts"

Eh, that's you 😂.

You're some man to waffle

"It is easier to cut an external mitre joint with a hand Panel saw, than cutting an internal mitre."

That's interesting, I never would have thought that.

Why would an external mitre be easier to cut than an internal mitre?

Because he isn't referring to a miter (maybe he'll be back to say its a masons miter or a back miter) he is misusing the term and is referring to a scribed (butt) joint. On an external joint its easy to cut away the protruding bit of one skirting board (use short off cut clamped to it). On an internal joint its more difficult to cut the butt joint for a good fit and you can't make it too big and sand the excess. However imo an internal scribed (butt) joint can look fine but no amount of sanding and paint can cover up that an external scribed joint looks cheap.

Do not under any circumstances cut a scribed external joint in skirting boards as suggested above.

The reasons are very simple to understand.

Get a 150 mm high moulded skirting board. Mark out both an external mitre joint and also mark out an internal mitre joint.

With a hand panel saw cut the 4 nr. cuts.

You will then understand Grasshopper. It’s magic.

• Advertisement

Its not simple when you can't describe it properly. Its not a mitre joint when its a butt joint.

I'm not in a position to do that just now, perhaps you could explain why you think one is easier than the other.

An internal mitre joint will require 2 nr 45deg cuts.

An external mitre joint will require 2 nr 45deg cuts.

(assuming corners are square of course)

Hopefully some day you will be in a position to get the experience.

Supposedly we are here to give the OP advice.

In Joinery a scribed joint is not a butt joint, and it is not a mitre joint.

When you do not know the names of the joints used in Joinery, you are only wasting my time and giving the OP unusable information.

An internal corner in a rectangular skirting board can be achieved with a butt joint.

An internal corner in a moulded skirting board cannot be butt jointed. It can be correctly jointed with either a mitre or a scribed joint.

A craftsperson qualified in Joinery would never use a butt joint in an internal corner in a moulded skirting board.

A craftsperson qualified in Joinery would never use a butt joint in an external corner with moulded skirting boards. because it would expose the end grain of the timber.

I am well aware what DIY’ers would do and I do not care.

I am well aware what DIY’ers would do and I do not care.

Then why do you persist posting and trying to justify yourself in the DIY forum?

Ando

As all the expert DIY’ers have not informed you how to mark the profile line of the moulded skirting board to be cut with a coping saw, so I will give you the details below:-

1. A Craftsman Joiner can draw the line to be cut with the coping saw, freehand with a pencil using his tradesman eye.
    2. A Craftsman Joiner will cut an internal mitre joint on the moulded skirting board. With a pencil he will outline the profile between the front planed face of the skirting, and the 45 degree saw cut. This is the line to be cut with the coping saw.
    3. A DIY’er can purchase a Contour Profile Gauge for approx €20. This can be used to get the profile of the moulding on the skirting. The set Contour Profile Gauge is then used to mark the profile of the line to be cut with the coping saw on the skirting.
    4. See photo of Contour Profile Gauge below.

Ando

If you have any other questions on Joinery, I will answer same for you.

I will not reply to anymore of the other fishing comments here from the clique.

You do not need a "Contour Profile Gauge", nor do you need to retain a carpenter joiner to do this job.

A mitred internal corner is the easiest way, it is no more difficult than a mitred external corner contrary to what you are told above, just 2 x 45 deg cuts.

I know I was the one who suggested a coping saw to cut the profile and in hindsight it was probably the wrong advice , it's best kept simple.

The Draper mitre box linked in the very first reply will take your 150mm skirting lying flat.

You'll find plenty help videos on you tube.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,856 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I just used a guide batten clamped at 90 deg and a jigsaw with the sole plate set to 45deg. Easy.

In Cavan there was a great fire / Judge McCarthy was sent to inquire / It would be a shame / If the nuns were to blame / So it had to be caused by a wire.

• Advertisement

A qualified craftsman joiner with a tradesman's eye?

😂

Advertisement