Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clontarf to City Centre Cycle & Bus Priority Project discussion (renamed)

Options

Comments

hard to break a red when you’re stationary I guess!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,217 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

People have been anticipating mass tragedies involving cyclists and pedestrians since bikes were invented. Still hasn't happened yet.

As you're on a moto you'll likely see a few cars do the same at most junctions too as you'll be getting to the front of the queue at every light, no idea how you claim not to have seen even 1. When I'm on a bus, Luas, driving, cycling, running, walking, I can't help but see it occur.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Sir Galahad

Why ? Seriously I did not see a car come to red lights and drive through like a cyclist had done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭bikeman1

Cars break red lights, pedestrians break red lights and bikes break red lights. We all know which will come off worse in those situations.

Now can we please move on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭brianc89

Dublin city council just tweeted about the new location of bus stops along the C2CC route. I did not realize that the stops on North Strand are being permanently removed (Strandville and Bayview). You will now need to walk to the Fire Station or the other side of the canal beside the flats.

Were people here aware of this? The North Strand is already super unfriendly to pedestrian with a distinct lack of pedestrian crossings. Now they are also removing the bus stops. I think it's a huge disgrace..

https://www.dublincity.ie/residential/transportation/active-travel/clontarf-city-centre-project/faqs#a24150-25689

• Registered Users Posts: 9,407 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Had another review of the plans today. It struck me that the separation between the cycle track and road is to be 50mm with no bollards planned.

I'm just wondering how that will work out in practice, at the moment the kerb is 100mm high and the footpaths from the 5 lamps all the way to the woodenbridge are littered with cars despite ample on street parking and side streets with mostly free on street parking that is under subscribed at all times.

To protect the investment they'll have to put plastic bollards up along the whole route when it opens.

I was in Stoneybatter yesterday, they've completely resurfaced the main part of the street there so temporary road markings and the bollards that recently protected the Northbound cycle lane are gone, sure enough, cycle lane was completely full of parked cars. Legal parking a few metres north was empty.

In that Stoneybatter situation I cycle in the middle of the lane. Drivers just gonna have to wait

• Registered Users Posts: 17,691 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

North Strand is one location where there probably are too many bus stops.

Northbound there are four stops within 650m from the Five Lamps to Annesley Bridge, and southbound three within 550m.

The ideal spacing is 400m between stops, so they could certainly remove some of them.

The detailed plans are on this page (general layout towards the bottom):

https://www.dublincity.ie/residential/transportation/active-travel/clontarf-city-centre-project/drawings-and-visualisations

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

Yeah, looks like it'll be 500m between fire station to just past Newomen bridge now. Fair distance for people who might be older, or find it harder to walk.

• Advertisement

There are 850m between Five Lamps and Annesley Bridge and only 3 stops. Stop 518 northbound under the rail bridge is only used for bus 53 which turns left before Annesley to head east towards the port. Maybe this has changed recently but no other bus ever stopped there.

In either case they are removing 2 stops northbound (518 and 4384) and there are now 600m between stops. I don't think this is good for North Strand. I've lived there for 7 years FYI

If you consider someone living deep in the side streets of North Strand / Ballybough, they will now have up to 6/700m to walk to get to a bus stop

Post edited by brianc89 on

FYI on my distances - stop 516 to stop 518 is 650m per Google Maps, which is what I was measuring (I used “Five Lamps” and “Annesley Bridge as descriptors for the stops). That will reduce to 550m with stop 516 moving 100m north. But that distance is excessive.

Stop 518 is also served by all the H Spine routes and the 6 in addition to the 53, which is overkill in my view as stop 2255 is sufficient for these. Stop 518 is the stop I felt could certainly be removed. The 53 gets a replacement stop on Annesley Place.

The stop pairing halfway along North Strand (4384 outbound and 617 inbound) should have been retained for precisely the reason you outlined.

Having gone back over the distances, I would share your misgivings also about the stops on Annesley Bridge Road being removed, as that’s creating 600m gaps in both directions, despite a new pedestrian crossing point being added.

On Amiens Street between Talbot Street and the Five Lamps they would get away with one stop in each direction if they left stop 515 outbound where it is now, and merged stops 619 and 675 inbound and located the stop just north of Preston Street.

Moving stops outbound stop 515 and inbound stop 675 closer to the Five Lamps creates very large gaps from the previous outbound stops (at Busaras/Gandon House depending on the route) and the next inbound stops (at Connolly or on Talbot Street depending on the route).

Sadly it will be very difficult if not impossible to change this at this late stage unfortunately as the design work has been done and it’s being built. Why didn’t any councillors notice this? They voted on it!

Post edited by LXFlyer on

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

How many drivers did you see with phones in their hands, on their laps, squeezed up to their ear?

Any news on your “by the end of the month” guarantee?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,401 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

this happened on bachelor's walk when they reoriented the bus lanes; IIRC the gardai basically stated it wasn't their job to police it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,371 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I cycled through Fairview this morning at around 7:30 and there were a lot more bikes there than normal. There were at least 10 stopped at the lights near the old Duggans jewellers inbound. Is it a case if build it and they will come? None were school kids

• Registered Users Posts: 14,130 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Yes I was waiting for this too. Even mega celeb Ray Shah can't seem to stop the works.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,290 ✭✭✭markpb

Final straw for me driving the quays happened a few years ago. Loads of cars driving up the bus lane, and traffic was heavy. Asked Gardai in the car next to me if they could do something about it, and they told me it wasn't their job. I haven't driven that section of the quays since then. Too stressful.

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Sir Galahad

Two. One a van driver and one a female in a newish car that would have bluetooth. It's a curse, when riding a motorcycle you can see them in "their" mirrors using the phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭downtheroad

This usual nonsense argument. Do they have the ability to levitate and avoid walking when they get off the bus at the other end of their journey? Or do you think that elderly people only move a couple of hundred metres and then that's them done for the day?

1 bus stop per half kilometre is more then enough and it will speed up buses (particularly if driver interaction is removed, and people learn to get off the bus via the middle doors) which in turn might encourage more passengers and reduce the number of cars on the road.

1 bus stop per half kilometre is more then enough

Respectfully I'd disagree. the more stops the better as it makes the service more convenient and accessible to more people.

I mean drivers get to raise holy hell about not being able to park at the door of their destination but a 500 meter, 6 min walk, between stops is ok?

In my experience, a gap of 250 meters or outside each estate, is optimal as it makes the service very convenient as you also have to take into account the walk inside the estate itself which can also be several hundred meters

It is not a nonsense argument. I have found numerous references online citing 400m as the ideal walking distance to public transport. Some reference 300m to a bus stop and 500m to a rapid transport stop such as metro or a dart.

In this case, they're removing 2 stops in the heart of North Strand and doubling the distance to 600m (586m and 592m to be exact).

I do not think that this is acceptable.

It depends on the old person. Some are limited in how much they can walk. Add that on at the start and they can often walk less at their destination.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Why would anyone need to be walking from 1 stop to another though? If they're 500m apart, then the furthest you can be from any of them is 250m + the estate distance - which is what you said is optimal?

As far as the "more stops the better as it makes the service more convenient" - more stopping and dwell time is less convenient for pretty much everyone on the route.

too many bus stops is such a wind up when we’re being encouraged to get public transport. 500m between stops is plenty

Best practice (per TfL guidance) is a maximum of 400m between stops and shorter distances where demand dictates.

600m between stops as per some of these gaps is not acceptable and frankly I’m amazed that these stop movements got approved.

The bus service is a service for everyone, and the amount of side streets along this road would dictate a maximum 400m gap.

The lack of joined up thinking here is woeful, with no stop in either direction close to the proposed new Connolly Station entrance location at Preston Street. They’ve actually moved the stops closer together either side of the Five Lamps and created a much longer gap.

Inbound Howth Road buses won’t stop between just after the Five Lamps and until after the Store Street junction on Talbot Street. That’s a ludicrous distance.

It’s 400m between stops - walking distance to the bus route could be longer depending on the size of estates etc.

• Advertisement

It's 600m for a start and you're assuming everyone lives at the top of the road. So, NO, it's not 250m of a walk. It's 6-700m walk depending where you live on the side streets.

I guess they are also considering the orbital "O" route. The better solution here would have been to move stops closer to Five Lamps (Northside) and retain stops in middle of North Strand and the stops next to Preston Street.

I'm emailing all local councillors this afternoon regarding North Strand. It's not acceptable.

Advertisement