Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with current affairs

Options

Comments

• There apparently have been PMs disappearing, re-appearing, things going bump in the night so to speak. Of course in extreme circumstances the Gardaí may need access to PMs. I don’t hang around CA or politics much, but I have an interest in internet in the area of movements of data. I suspect there may have been instances of abuse of data access privilege, and those in positions of responsibility on Boards have kept heads below parapet in relation to this. I’d love to see an independent investigation commissioned on this site to reassure users.

in the past I have had PMs from somebody (no longer on Boards) in distress (unrelated to Boards issues) who approached me in confidence about a matter that was highly personal in nature, and I know had that person any inkling their communications were visible to a further audience, it would have caused added distress.

I was always aware when modding that if eg state security was at stake, it would have been technically possible for PMs to be inspected, but this would have required legal consultation, documentation etc. Like when I managed a public building and the Gardaí requested viewing of our CCTV, there was a procedure to follow, things to be signed and documented.

But under no circumstances can personal communications be eavesdropped in an effort to manipulate how users behave on the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,437 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

you have no evidence of abuse. you're just scaremongering.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

On the contrary you and your fellow travelers took beasty's theory as fact. Now that people are suggesting PM's are accessible you are crying foul. As usual you are all over the shop.

Beasty's floating of that theory was irresponsible. You taking it as 'prove him wrong' was you having a go. Now I provided him evidence we didn't coordinate creating this thread you are now moving the goalposts claiming there's no way the admins of a website can access the messaging feature. So how come we use to be able to flag PM's? My theory, that I'd like to float is beasty keeps tabs on people,but can't find any proof to back up the theory he floated.

This is complete tinfoil hat stuff. Independent commissions of investigation!! 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 68,845 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I have had a conversation with Beasty.

He says he has the right to post a PM he sent and will do it later.

Don't hold your breath though.

What he says is evidence of me and Brucie discussing how to take on moderation and of me 'coordinating pile-ons on threads' is something myself and Brucie have already freely said we have done - we have both sent PM's to one another. That is not 'evidence' for the allegations he has made.

The dog-whistling Beasty has engaged in from his first 2 posts here which were addressed to the 'fire ants' and not the OP, and now this latest attempt to dog-whistle (by not contacting me privately first as I did several times to him about permission to post his PM allegation)

By suggesting there was some 'evidence' in our PM's confirms other posters observations that Beasty has a massive ego that cannot admit he is wrong and also now, that he is malicious.

• Advertisement

Like a bunch of anonymous internet users conspiring to tackle a few pawn shop government trolls on a discussion forum?

Boards is fun and all, when not being badgered, but its not cabal campaign worthy.

• I know of disappearing & reappearing PMs. Unless they are from sone software issue of course.

Also, a mod who left the site approached a friend with material which they could have only known from looking at a certain PM.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Unfortunately Francie does not want me to post his PM to me. However there is no rule against posting PM's a poster has sent, assuming they do not contain personal or sensitive information

This is the PM I sent to Francie on 22 August (part of a very long train of PMs). It is his reply that I would like to post, but maybe there is a reason he does not want me to do so. This was sent 4 days before this thread was started and "informed" me ahead of certain comments I have made in this thread. Francie is asking for evidence but not allowing me to post something quite fundamental to thois discussion

Anyway, this is what II wrote to him

"I never banned reference to SF. But you don't care about the details

All I did was say discussion of SF belongs in the SF thread. If SF are discussing Government issues that's fine. Making comments about SF that has no relevance to the Government belongs in the SF thread

Anyway, You really have wasted a lot of my time on this site. Don't be surprised if the replies any up much more to the point without the additional explanation as you really are not worth the effort

Oh, and it's pretty clear that some of you are discussing things behind the scenes"

That final sentence is the one I think deserves most attention in the context of certain comments in this thread

Of course, Francie can still post his reply if he wishes.

admins dont have access to PMs which mods don't either. whatever information that mod had must have been obtained a different way. Did that mod confirm they got it by looking at another users PMs?

Here is my reply.

Where do I say in it, 'we are discussing ways to attack moderation' and where does it say 'I am coordinating pile-ons with other posters'>

You are just being malicious to try and prove you were right. NOBODY has denied contacting and discussing what is happening via PM

FrancieBrady August 22

Ah Beasty, even the poster mentioned sees it as ban on the mention of 'SF' and uses the 'certain party' workaround.

Ever occur to you your moderation may not be clear because it is consistently ridiculous and impossible to navigate?

You have made a fair mess of CA.

Absolutely I am being contacted by others experiencing the same ridiculous mods. Is that now illegal now too?

*It is a classic trait of a bully btw...to not like their victims to talk to others. Just saying. 😉

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

On the PMs disappearing/reappearing thing, I know it happened to one poster, and I think it also happened to me on one occasion, although it quickly re-appeared on a refresh, and TBH I just thought I was imagining it for a while

Equally there are a few quirks on this platform unfortunately. This is not the place for that though and there is a bugs thread in Feedback for raising such points

Thank you for showing how petty and vindictive you are. This is very personal and irresponsible. While your cheerleaders from CA will be delighted you've really let yourself down with this. You've no business holding any authority on any website. You have breached a trust.

This is a prime example why one person shouldn't be contributor, mod and admin in a forum, especially one were they've obviously got issues.

And that says quite a lot about you Brucie

There isn't an iota of evidence in that exchange for the allegations you made. None.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Old PM that users deleted from the VBulletin platform reappeared after the migration to Vanilla. These were then deleted again by the Boards team, I'm assuring a dev at the time.

That's what we mean by PMs reappearing, there were a lot of posts in Feedback at the time.

The "allegation" of things being co-ordinated behind the scenes? People can make their own minds up based on the PMs

The dog whistling publicly about it first without privately contacting me is the most alarming bit.

Aided and abetted by your malicious allegations and dog whistling.

People communicate by PM. That is all that has been 'revealed' here.

you know you are over the line. Its a relief that others can see it. I've posted elsewhere on the site with zero issues and I don't have a team of people jumping on me any time I comment or an admin giving frivolous no point warnings they can't defend.

Here's a PM you know, just in the spirit: oh and complete capture not rewritten.

• You are being warned for the following post:

Minister 'misinterpreted the requirements' after failure to declare second house in Longford

• xxxxxxlAug 25, 2022
    • https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/119522965#Comment_119522965
    • You can still admit guilt in the court removing your innocence. The court then does not prove your guilt.

• Brucie:
    • Like Varadkar. Guilty of the act but it wasn't criminal, however in Troy's case there's an actual possibility of accountability.
    • TonesjonesAug 25, 2022
    • Troy is still a TD . He has his TD salary and pension. He has lost phuck all. The media are now saying he was hard done by. The cash payments, the missing fire regulation certs etc. All forgotten and forgiven.
    • Someone really needs to go on a campaign.

• Another reminder, not that its needed, that these people are making mugs out of the public. Top class.

• View Post

• Beasty:
    • Plenty of warnings. The thread is about Troy, but you simply cannot resist dragging up a topic where the relevant thread was closed
    • Brucie Bonus August 26

• I'm making comparisons.
    • Are you saying we can never mention Leo leaking or do you think I'm mentioning it to troll? If so you are being paranoid. Seriously.
    • Beasty August 26

• You are clearly doing it to troll.
    • It is done. the dedicated thread was closed. But you simply cannot resist using it to have a dig
    • Brucie Bonus August 26

• First off, when blanch posted about it on the government thread, you deleted all the responses but not his post. Secondly, my point stands regarding how varadkars leaking, like Troy, was wrong but wasn't criminal. I don't see the dig and I don't see a scenario were you would allow the leak be mentioned which is completely off the wall IMO.
    • Who am I getting a dig at and how, by mentioning an incident that happened?

Add a Message

New MessageLeave Conversation

In this Conversation

Add People to this Conversation

© Boards Software Limited 2022

Advertisement

Its a baseless theory. I sent you the screen grab of my telling francie about this thread. You earlier had a theory we conspired to create it. Its obvious you have a vendetta at this stage. Trying to suggest the website you administrate is rotten. If I were your boss I'd be concerned.

• Advertisement

• That mod once complained to the Gardaí that someone sold him fake cannabis and would a Garda help him get his money back… he posted that on a thread btw… so we are not talking about a person who employs too much by logical thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

What exactly is wrong with the PM from Beasty?

As I said I have had my run in with Beasty and he is probably close to calling me a time sink as well. But the majority of the time I accept my punishment and move on.

To be clear Brucie - you just broke site rules for posting PMs without the sender's permission

However I will give you retrospective permission to post that. Do not do that again without the consent of the sender

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭sameoldname

I believe the idea is to make a minor action by Beasty into an indefensible betrayal so it makes the thread he created in dispute resolution to remove him seem valid. All the while being an absolute timesink for the mods, the thing he was actually accused of being.

This entire thread reminds me so much of the 7 years I worked in retail and how many customers tried their best to get me fired. Never worked mind...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,709 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

For more examples of poor one sided modding I suggest you check out the Trump Biden threads

The only bans being handed out are to one group on those threads yet you get serial abusers flaunting the rules and when you report them the posts magically disappear so no evidence and no bans are handed down. Two moderators involved there are TenofSwords and Beasty There should at least be some balance to the mods looking at threads like those.

Even when you have posters accidently posting on their thread banned account rather then their re-reg account it's left up there for days before being removed. Or certain posters getting thread ban decisions reversed.

Couldn't be arsed posting on those threads anymore.

So yeah CA was a good idea in the beginning but due to poor moderation it's just another failed forum much like the politics forum.

That's my thoughts and experiences of CA and interested to see it's widespread on other threads.

CA was a good idea when it was created but now it's just another failed forum much like The Politics forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

This is a fooking sick post. How dare you compare rape to what is going on here. You should take this back now.

It's another example of a petty, arbitrary, inconsistent, out of his great blue yonder modding.

Couldn't leave without putting you in your box.

If I called you a rapist without any back up' - is the correct analogy here.

Apologies for upsetting you Dempo, was very late and I read the above posts and got confused.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,453 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

@Brucie Bonus on a number of posts, including your new DRP thread, you have tagged a user Buford T Justice

I just want to point out that this is not the Soc Cmod @Buford T. Justice XIX (who closed his boards account 2 years ago)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement