Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public Pay Talks - see mod warning post 4293

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭Augme

That's fair enough. So a more accurate description is that our purchasing power is being drastically reduced and the current deal means we will be reducing our purchasing power by circa 6% and you think that's a good deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭LegallyAbroad

Deal is until 2023 not 2024.

There is every risk that if we don't take this deal it won't be offered again in 6 months given what is coming down the tracks economically, politically, and geopolitically.

On that basis I'll be supporting it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,679 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Yeh.

I think 7.5 percent over the next 14 months with 3.5 percent backdated to March is a great deal. I think the fact that we will get another decent bump 2024 is also good.

It's the biggest pay rise I recall in my 18 years in. Anyone who thought we would get 12 or 13 percent is off their rocker. Anyone advocating to stand on a picket is an old head union type who would strike if their coffee was cold.

I've been listening to the "what's coming down the tracks" line since 2014. And I'm still waiting for it.

You're the one banging on about inflation and the cost of living so have already acknowledged its happening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭hello2020

Just wondering, how times times have you seen 9% inflation over those 18 years?

I agree with your other assessment though. You'd want to be off your rocker to thing the Union could deliver a decent deal.

i think we could all do a little less of the "anyone who disagrees is x, y or z" it has done nothing for this discussion

pay deals that do not match general inflation over time cannot be seen as anything other than degraded conditions of employment and i have not yet seen a coherent argument otherwise. i doubt one could be made.

do i accept that we may not get a better deal than this one without a lot of additional strife (which may not be worth it)? yes, i accept that

does that change the underlying effect of general inflation? no

can I understand other perspectives? yes.

"Banging on about inflation and cost of living." Funniest thing I've heard in a long time. As if there not important concepts in a situation like this.

I think snoopsheep makes a some points, that I do feel are very important in the long term. If people want to accept this deal I have no issue with that, I do have an issue with this deal being portrayed as good. It isn't.

Lowering the bar by saying this is a good deal doesn't do anyone any favours.

• Advertisement

@Augme

How much do you think we should have got and how much do you think was achievable?

Would you strike?

Personally I have no patience for anyone who practices passive aggressive behaviours.

Very gutless and childish way to carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭hello2020

Salaries needs to increase to a level where 3.5 of annual salary will buy a house for a mid level PS employee or at lease it should be enough to rent a house where one works..

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭LegallyAbroad

These are the pertinent questions that haven't been answered by those opposed.

I'm open to convincing but I haven't heard any alternative strategy propose with an assessment of the likelihood of success and the risk associated with it.

6% each year should have been the minimum. I mean the government have had €5.5bn surplus at the end of the July. The question i have is, given how well the government finances are how can you genuinely think the offer is a good deal? I would strike, you have to be willing to strike if you genuinely want a fair deal. Very difficult to properly negotiate if you are going to be too afraid to strike.

Again there's significant long term benefits strikers bring to future negotiations that are not properly valued.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Timistry

The €5.5 billion surplus is mostly linked to corporate tax receipts. This could evaporate overnight so should be thought of as a windfall. It cant be used to budget for future expenditure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭fliball123

Are you for real this all has to be paid for. The magic money tree of the ECB money printer has been chopped down. I think you lot did very well. These pay rises are taking almost 50% of the fiscal space which it will be when pensions to current retirees are factored in and readjusted. So in effect the government (mainly because it goes into their back pocket too) will be given 13% of the population 50% of what is available, how fair is that? Are we not all seeing inflation? Is it just the public sector seeing it?

So what about the rest of us , is it phuck them is it, are those in the private sector going to do a Oliver Twist on it "please sir can I have some more". Wait tiill more and more SMEs see their power bills like the coffee shop in Athlone nearly 10k for 2 months. There is going to be an absolute sh1tmare this winter. You were all lucky to get what you got the conditions to have a 5.5Billion surplus will not exist come the next budget. Strike away as the general public will not be tolerating any sh1te from unions when they get their increased energy bills and increased food bills over the xmas and have to get through xmas as well and the majority in the private sector are not getting any pay rises I am sure they will tell you where to phucking go . If you go on strike the government should leave you out there for as long as possible and save on your wage.

At some stage you and others like you have to look at the duality that is going on here. With reports saying the young people in this country will be paying 2k more a year just to get by and the retiring age continues to go up and we should be paying more in tax all from the public sector advisors and you want 6% a year pay rise will you go and smell what your shoveling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭BOHSBOHS

Towards 2016 was 10.5% over 20 months (01jan07 -01sept08) and inflation wasnt over 9% then

• Registered Users Posts: 11,050 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Just a question if they was deflation (think thats the word) and had the same wage would you be coming on here and saying we got a pay rise. Its not a pay cut as at the moment I am getting X if the deal is accepted I am getting X +. Would I have like more hell ya who would not. We would not get it and even if we striked we would have lost more money and the deal we would get then would be worse for it

• Advertisement

Something to this effect happened between 2014 and 2021 Martin over 10% pay rises per person in the public sector and inflation was running at 3% not one union or government minister or advisor on looking for pay cuts. Some in the sector could get 100% pay rises and still not be phucking happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭combat14

no sign of magic deflation any time soon - electric ireland to up their bills 25% starting next month with more energy rises almost gauranteed

somewhat muted favourable response to latest public sector proposals but at this stage everyone will need support with their home heating, transport & electricity bills to keep the show on the road this winter ..

Just so you know as a common courtesy, there's absolutely no way am I wasting my energy engaging with you in any of this. 🙂

Because there is no argument for your attitude

I'd recognise thet during a period of deflation our purchasing power. At the end ofnthe day purchasing power is all I care about. If in 2023 I am purchasing less goods and services than I did in 2022 that's a problem for me and not one I am ever going to be happy to accept.

When you get the pay rise your purchasing power will improve from where it is now. No?

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭rogerywalters

Ask your employer for a raise. We asked ours and got one. Not a substantial one but its something.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭rogerywalters

Please stop saying phucking. It makes you look like an utter moron.

gusser, come on.

inflation occurs on an ongoing basis, not just for the four month that a new multi-year pay deal is being discussed and finalised.

a union that tracks inflation for the periods covered by those multi year pay deals and asks for it to be matched is not "unrealistic" it is doing the bare minimum for the people it represents.

nobody is trying to pull the wool over anyone's eyes here by pointing the above out, and anyone is free to think a deal is positive or not.

but the govt will *always* tell you that they cant afford to ensure public sector wages are worth the same in your pocket as they were ten years ago, for the same grade/work.

a union should aspire to ensuring that this is the *least* that happens.

and they shouldnt be seen as the unreasonable parties for attempting to do so.

its genuinely strange to me that people want to get defensive or possessive about this deal being the best we should even hope for without starting into how we are either desperate to strike or are some sort of clichéd unionista heads - im far from it!

• Advertisement

Not compared to last year, or the previous years. There's a reason Buliding Momentum has a clause for renegotiation due to inflation, because everyone recognises it recedes purchasing power.

You are correct that the current pay deal increases my purchasing power compared to where it is now but that still does not make it a good deal in my personal opinion. The current strong enomic position of the government just furthe and seeing what else is happening in the economy simply confirm that for me.

Again when factoring all that in I just cant undertand why 3.5% increase this year and next year is so great.

Advertisement