Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

The new jersey looks sexy

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Juventu4

On the website they have him listed at 113kg which seems around right, I know he did an interview stating that he's 107kg which I find hard to believe as seeing him up close before and I weigh 107kg myself.

At 6,6 you would naturally be over 100kg then with a rugby players diet and all the strength and conditioning you would naturally put on muscle that would bump you up in weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭starkid

Sexton is miles more athletic and robust than RB. as are a few on the list you mentioned.

He isn´t good enough and its time LEinster fans acccept this. if he wasn´t irish people would be calling time already.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,598 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I don't think RB international calibre, but whatever about anything else, it's not down to his lack of robustness; he’s rarely injured, and extremely good defensively and in the tackle.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭starkid

i suppose i mean robust in the vigourous sense of the word. there is no urgency or fire about him. he´s a big strong lad who isn´t afraid of contact. he seems to have very good game management and as you say is rarely injured.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Itxa

I’m all for dumping the “almost” players but if Leinster aren’t going to play Frawley at ten we’re going to have a gaping chasm at ten for the next decade.

There simply isn’t anyone under Ross Byrne that is capable of filling that hole. Plenty can do a job but will be found out against top tier European opposition.

With Ross there is a chance we could win Europe. With the alternatives are we any better off? Are people willing to go the next decade without a European Cup? Or do people think it is impossible to win Europe with Ross?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

What about HB? Are people writing him off? He's injury prone but, he's just 23! There's plenty of time for him.

Frawley in Leinster view is better served at center? Maybe he goes back to 10 but, is he the answer?

RB is the next in line. He's good! He's not a superstar and probably will not be involved with the national team. But, we know he's a good 10 and has plenty of experience.

Post Sexton, Leinster are not in too bad of a position, imo.

So what I think people want to see is an import to fill a hole for the next ten years. I haven’t heard any praise on here for the lads in the academy Tector and Prendergast? Does anyone know much about them? I saw Tector play for the twenties but wasn’t filled with awe.

By the sounds of the moaning about Ross Byrne, Frawley and Harry over the past year or two people here don’t consider them good enough or capable (fit) enough to deliver silverware.

The alternative is importing someone which I’m all for but leaves Ireland in a precarious position post World Cup.

Who might we be looking at? Nobody French as they are paid more than us here, (I can think of a few I would like tho’ Racing backup with bleach hair - Gibert, Carbonel, Foursans - Montpellier). Then you’re left with NZ and Aussie second tier of which I have no knowledge. Can’t see us going for Celtic nations or SA players as they are opponents in our League. Premiership players will be hard to convince with bigger wages.

So what I think people want to see is an import to fill a hole for the next ten years. 

I'm not sure I've seen anything on here to suggest this tbh?

Ok I’ll ask you the question - do you think it’s possible to win Europe in the next ten years with the options we have? (RB, CF, HB, Prendergast or Tector)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,274 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I wouldn't write off either Frawley or HB. They need gametime and they have tried to give HB gametime but he got injured. That's nobody's fault. I'd love to see Frawley get time at 10 but it's hard to see how all 4 out-halves get enough time. Sexton doesn't want much time, so that helps free up some space in URC games.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,025 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

I don't think anyone is writing HB off but when a player is perennially injured, its an injury profile for someone you can't (yet) build around or plan for, particularly at 10. Until he builds up a run of games over a significant period of time without injury, he's not a serious contender as Johnny's long term replacement.

Over the next decade? Eh, ya.

Now can you point me to anyone saying they want to see an import to fill a hole for the next ten years?

What I’m saying is there is a lot of moaning and no agreement. I never said anyone said we need someone in over the next decade. I am simply discussing out loud what the next steps required are.

So while nobody said out loud we need to plan for the next ten years after Johnny and bring someone in, I am bringing forward that idea and discussing it out loud. Logically, if the incumbents aren’t good enough, there is going to have to be a trade off between silverware and developing talent for Ireland.

In that context, can you please answer the question - do you think any of the options we currently have are good enough to win a European Cup with? And if you’re answer is no , do you think we should bring in someone or develop what we have and hope for a superstar in the next years to come into the academy?

We haven't had a good chance to test either HB or CF. So there's no need to panic. But we do need to test them this year to know how good they are and what their strengths and weaknesses are. They will all get more game time next year when Jonny leaves, but they need to know how good they are before jonny leaves. Otherwise they'll be thrown in at the deep end - which doesn't mean they'll drown, but we don't know what will happen until it unfolds in front of us.

Frawley and Harry Byrne have not yet been tested to a point where you could say we could or could not win a European Cup with. So to answer, are they good enough to win a European Cup with? Probably. But both need runs at 10 (and Harry needs an injury-free run) for anyone to be able to give a better answer.

Ross Byrne is another problem for both of them though. Ross is a very good player and whilst he hasn't hit the heights he needs to in order to make the jersey is, he's rarely bad enough to be dropped.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

I think Lucretia knows very well Leinster will not be bringing in a foreign 10 at any point in the next year or 10 years.

Yeah Ross is a case of 'better the devil you know...'. Hard to drop and he'll do a good job most of the season. But you don't have great confidence in him for the really crucial games like knock-out champions cup or even URC.

So you could drop him to give the others a chance, but they'll take time to get into their stride and RB would almost certainly be better in those games. Meanwhile, you're not sure whether the others will ever be better than RB. So it's a gamble.

If you are referring to me, that is not the case at all, I certainly do think if the incumbents aren’t good enough we should bring someone in.

We should hold Cullen to the standard of winning European Cups with the Irish lads if everyone thinks they are good enough though, and not blame the outhalves for our losses if that’s the case.

I will certainly flag not bringing in foreign talent at ten as a reason Cullen might have fallen short in planning ahead if we lose due to our ten.

Although I have an inkling we might get the job done with Ross or even Frawley.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

The IRFU are never going to allow Leinster to sign a foreign 10, or any province for that matter.

It's too important a position to the national team, with only 4 starting spots among the provinces. They want an IQ player in each of them. They allowed Ulster to sign Lealifano on a short-term deal as cover during the Jackson trial a few years ago, but he was quickly moved on for the IQ Burns after that.

Leinster will not be signing a foreign 10 for the foreseeable future.

I hope to see Prendergast get plenty of game time this season. He looked very impressive over the summer.

• Advertisement

I have answered the question; yes. In no small part because 10 years is an awfully long time to be reading too much into anything, really.

Out of interest, which ten do you think is or will be good enough?

Fairly concise summing up thanks. That’s exactly the answer I was looking for.

In short we need to stick with IQ’s at ten. I would prefer that wasn’t the case because I think we might struggle without plugging a hole after Johnny, but these are the trade offs required for our system to work top to bottom.

I think Ross Byrne is the man who has proven the highest level of performance and having seen that, I think he can deliver. If he doesn’t, it’s a shootout between Harry and Frawley. I think the latter is better.

Hopefully Prendergast comes good, assume he’s the brother of Cian?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I can't see Frawley coming good at the 10.

I see him more of a centre but he could be the utility back that covers 10.

A Paddy Wallace if you will (if he is so lucky).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

The squad for the first pre-season game is actually a very strong one. Ngatai and Osborne could be an excellent midfield pairing. Osborne could learn so much from him.

I'm a bit more ambivalent on Jenkins, but he had a decent end to the season with Munster so here's hoping he keeps that up. Great to see Connors back as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

Lynch? Who's Lynch.

Connors at 6 is a terrible idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Matthew Lynch ex Terenure College currently playing for Trinity.

Played for Leinster U19 last season. Some sort of sub academy player. I think he is a winger.

Connors at 6 doesn't have to be a good idea. It just has to get Jim minutes in a warm up.

Is this being televised or streamed? If so where?

• Advertisement

Given the strength Leinster have elsewhere, I think any of them could be good enough to steer Leinster home at some stage over the next decade.

Advertisement