Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Douglas Luiz is a very tidy player. I'd love to see him come in over a stopgap like Artur

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Arthur is a better player than Luiz,

Neither for different reason are what we want in the long term,

If signing Arthur on loan means we get what we want next summer than so be it,

He had a falling out with Messi at Barcelona hence why he left & Juve are a mess look at the two lads they got rid of to Spurs both are doing very well,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Elliot has been comfortably our best player this season and that is the main problem. We just have to many of our top performers way off form and it needs to be addressed...Staring with VVD, Fab, Robbo and Trent!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

An alternative view point is that Calvin Ramsay is a better defender than Alexander-Arnold. His availability makes it possible for TAA to play in the right midfield position. At present when he charges up field he finds himself around the edge of the box where you might expect a right midfielder to be taking up position. Salah goes wide of TAA and it's easier for the opposition to contain the attack. A combination of Ramsay, Salah and Alexander-Arnold on the right side of the team would make us less predictable.

Post edited by Talisman on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

i like this post. very sensible.

yes, we're light in midfield, given the injury proneness of many that we have in there. but this season is going to be crazier than any other. City are elite at killing games and rotating the squad so their best players tend to only be at full pelt for 60 minutes a game. it's why they can essentially have 16 top players and still look far too good for everyone. but even they could still struggle with the amount of games this season. i think many are underestimating just how horrific the run of matches is for everyone.

Arsenal will fall away. i love the look of them, but they're a tad short. they'll comfortably get top 4, but if we're short for a title challenge in the eyes of many, then they definitely are.

Spurs will be robust, but they can't do the 13 wins from 15 thing that City and Liverpool can. that's the difference.

in summation, I doubt we're going to know exactly what is going to happen this season until we get through the World Cup at the earliest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭JPup

Trent already does play right midfield for all intents and purposes. If you look at his heat map he spends as much time in the opposition half as our own.

His position is halfway between that of a traditional fullback and traditional winger.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭JimboJones99

I'm not sure I agree with that. A massive part of playing in that Right Centre position is positioning. From looking at how average his positioning is at full back I cant imagine it is going to be much better in midfield. He would be too easy to play through. I dont think he has the same quick passing like Thiago or even what Elliott is showing. He doesnt have the pressing of what Hendo used to have, the ball retention of what Gini used to have. He certainly isnt cut out for a defensive role like Fabinho. So what would he offer?? I could see him being a marginally better Ox. He would shoot on sight at every opportunity and I guarantee you absolutely annoy the Sh**e out of Salah.

Despite his drop in form, he is still an exceptional full back who has wonderful creative crossing and long passing ability. He needs to focus on his defensive side of the game not trying to be Kevin De Bruyne.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Robert2014

The issue is have with Trent is that he doesn't seem to be learning. He still makes the same mistakes. He loses players behind him, doesn't track the runner. Either he cannot learn or improve, doesn't want to or we are asking too much of him. In the past Fabinho and Henderson were able to cover for him. If this is no longer possible, we need to review this.

I don't mean to suggest that Alexander-Arnold make a permanent move to midfield. That may happen in time but for now we need options for midfield and he is a possibility. He's certainly better than Jones and Oxlade-Chamberlain at tracking players. Without seeing him playing as a proper midfielder in Klopp's setup I don't think it's possible to judge his ability to press.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Between the current crop, Lucas Leiva and Fabio Aurelio, we’ve always had at least one Brazilian in the squad since 2006. And as you said, strangely none that I can think of before that.

• Advertisement

I'm fairly certain Aurelio was the 1st player from Brazil to play for us...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭JimboJones99

Fair enough but as long as we have actual midfielders they should play. Bear in mind that Klopp has player Trent in a midfield a few seasons ago in a league game and he was pretty out of his depth. I'm fairly certain he played a game in the past year or so there for England also and was very anonymous against low ranking opposition.

As you have said it would be reliant on Ramsey being an adequate replacement (which I have no idea if he is or not) but he could be an option but only as a number rather than quality I would think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,103 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I'd even say that he already plays in midfield full stop, for periods within the game. Especially when there is sustained periods of possession, Trent goes into an orthodox CM role, with Elliott playing almost RWB and Salah staying very wide RW to hold the width. It seems to me that this is done to use Elliott in the build up, instead of Trent, and then use Trent closer to the box for the killer pass to release Salah.

This has to be done by design. Being told to risk a bit more, and be closer to the action. If he is playing in midfield more, of course he is going to be further away from the traditional RB spot for defending if the opposition start a quick counter attack.

the Trent in midfield thing wouldn't work. he doesn't have the engine, or that type of technical skill to do the job in there.

RB is perfect for him, because he gets to see the whole picture in front of him. his head doesn't have to be on a swivel at all times. he can generally take more time over his decisions than any actual midfield player.

and he may take up midfield positions now, but that's because he's a bit of a free role from his position when we're dominating possession. it's not because he's been given actual midfield responsibilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭BillyHasMates

I agree with Jimbo on this. I don't think Trent has the skillset to play in midfield, even as a stop gap. He is not a good short range passer and is not good at short quick interplay. Just one of many recent examples was actually in the buildup to the goal he scored against Bournemouth where he misplaced a short 4 yard pass which he was fortunate to have ricochet off the Bournemouth player right into his path as he was running forward. I would still greatly question his positional awareness and discipline, not to mention the lack of apparent energy and effort to run towards his own goal or near his own box.

He needs dropping for me and I have been saying it about him since the latter part of last season. He just doesn't seem focused on his job and seems to just be chasing assists or hero passes whenever he plays. He is a major liability at the minute, particularly due to his knack for giving the ball away when the team is out of position to defend a quick counter. Henderson and Fab seem physically unable to plug the gaps anymore and we really need someone in there who is more focused in their defending.

Huge amount of players and staff (pep) speak Portuguese makes integration a bit easier ,

Ali, Fab, Thaigo , Jota, Nunuz, Carvalho, Bobby , Diaz ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Great to get another body in the squad, but lets get real he's just there for emergencies, no way he gets in the team if everyone is fit.

It's good it's a loan, he'd have to make some impact to be here next season.

• Advertisement

Rumour we are still trying to buy Luiz off Villa but Arsenal look like they will get him

If we can get both Luiz and Arthur in, it might also be a good day for Ox to find a new club. There just isn’t a place for him in the squad if we bring in two midfielders. When everyone is fit, you have Naby, Thiago, Arthur, Hendo, Elliott and possibly Carvalho all ahead of him in the pecking order and he can’t play the number 6 role.

Why when he is fit he is a very good player ,3 seasons ago he was first choice for Brazil

Has fallen out of favour at Juve but look at the two Spur's lads, De Light, and so on Juve are a shambles of late ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,390 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Who's going to sign Of when he's out injured for another few months?

Is the injury that bad? Didn’t realise.

I just kind of want to see him play for another team at this stage, it suits everyone. But I suppose a long term injury would prevent that alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,041 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Not expected back till at least October... could see him leaving on loan, or sold, in January alright.

Be gas if we ended up able to field an all-Brazilian midfield trio of Fabinho, Arthur, and Luiz - would actually be a pretty decent midfield! Add in Nunez and Diaz in front of them, and we'll have to get Portuguese lessons for Mo so he can communicate with the rest of the front 6!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cunnifferous

(Pedant watch) Are Nunez and Diaz not native spanish speakers? Granted they've played in Portuguese league

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,929 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

Bastids. Someone could have been killed there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭tinpib

Ya, they are Spanish speakers. But there is a quite a big overlap between Spanish and Portuguese so they will be able to understand each other anyway. Kinda like the way native Glaswegian speakers and native Scouse speakers can more or less understand each other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Currently injured? I thought the club avoided that since aquilan, then we have two in one window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Dont think there is anything in the Luis talk, couldn't see us signing 2 midfielders even if we could do with them. Luiz would be the right profile though and that Gini replacement we desperately need, can play 6 and 8.

He has agreed terms with Arsenal but Villa haven't given the green light yet ,

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Yea Nunez and Diaz are Spanish speakers, but we also have Jota, Alisson, Thiago, and Carvalho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,103 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I'm starting to think that Hendo has been playing with an injury for a lot of this season.

90, 27, 59, 70, 71. Doesn't seem to have the 90 mins in him.

Finally gave way last night and now he is out for a few weeks at the least. Maybe this has been affecting his form, and certainly mobility.

Robbo must have some sort of underlying injury too, as he is coming off nearly every game. Around the 60 mark, Tsimikas is either warming up to come on as a sub, or come on. Maybe this has been affecting Robbo's form and sluggish start to the season.

Add this to the underperformance of VVD, Fabinho, Trent. Those 5 players have a lot of miles on the clock in the last few seasons. Intense 5 years playing the majority of games, with a lot of pressures and running. Maybe it's just taking it's toll now and has all hit at the same time.

Diaz, Salah, Bobby are playing a lot of minutes too, they need to get some breaks too.

Liverpool need bodies back soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,041 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Both have Spanish as their first language. Both fluent in Portuguese.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

The fact that everyone can communicate with each other has certainly put aside any concerns I have for the season. Cheers lads.

I wonder will Klopp put Arthur beside Fab and go with 4231.

• Advertisement

Ye we look very leggy

Fabhino ,Henderson , Robbo have all aged about 3 years over the summer,

I wonder what the fitness department is showing on them

Trent game last night was just a lad who is knackered the pass for there goal just summed it up ,

I'd start Nunez the weekend ,

Bobby playing well but just we need a bit of Zip in our game ,

If he starts then the Everton defenders will be on his case from the first minute. Better to leave him on the bench and unleash him later in the game.

Our out of form full backs have been a bigger as problem than our midfield injuries in my opinion! As I said last night, we could sign peak Iniesta and it wouldn't matter until we can get the lads sorted. It really is costing us at both ends, the Palace and UTD games in particular we gave up 4/5 really good chances to them due to sloppiness from the lads, mis-placing passes and turning over possession when we were most exposed going forward!

my instinct is to leave Nunez on the bench.

it really depends how much energy is in Bobby's legs though. with games every 3 days for 3 months, it'll be very tempting to chuck in the fresh guy before a tough Champions League away game.

and as others have said, he might be more impactful from the bench on 60 minutes if we need him.

The Athletic reporting that the club blocked a move by Southampton to sign Phillips.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

We have 5 games now in 15 days, we do much better with a fast turnaround and the players find their rhythm. It was better last night than the Palace game, just a bit though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

the face on trent when he was taken off,justifiably.. he's had no challengers for 4/5 seasons,and it shows now. severe kick up the hole he needs,complacent as fcuk imo. vvd not far behind in the complacency stakes...its hard to play for klopp full on season after season,and missing out on big prizes by one game cant be easy either...but to challenge you have to be relentless,these days a few dropped points is enough to lose the league early.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,122 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Mate of mine - huge Man U supporter - is visiting home after being away for a few years and brought his lad to Anfield last night.

Said the last minute goal nearly killed him but the atmosphere was unreal. He reckoned Newcastle deserved every single boo they received walking off the pitch as they were an embarrassment.

Raved about Elliott, said he will be world class if he can stay injury free.

Gerrard likely to lose another player, he really has nothing to work with at Villa, they must have promised him the funds to build a side, but he's had nothing, owner is only in it to survive in the PL, even that looks tough though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement