Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clontarf to City Centre Cycle & Bus Priority Project discussion (renamed)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,691 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

So why does best practice guidance disagree with that view?

The bus service is not just for you, it’s for everyone. That does mean stops at 400m or less, especially in the city centre.

People do have to walk to the bus route on top of the gap between stops.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭brianc89

I realize now on the plans for C2CC, that these bus stops are not included.

For stop 617 (inbound, between Strandville and Xavier), the plans show 3 car parking spaces where the bus stop is currently located. I looked at this multiple times and assumed this was still a bus stop.

How we can possibly contemplate replacing a bus stop with car parking spaces, so that people can park in front of their house while public transport users walk an additional 300m to get to their bus stop. Appalling.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

I never said it was a 250m walk. I said it was a "250m + estate distance" walk, so no I didn't assume everyone lived at the top of the road. I live on a side street off North Strand, so I'm well aware of how far a walk it is to the bus stop.

I never said it was acceptable either, I was responding to the previous poster's statement about having to walk "500m" between the 2 stops - this doesn't happen. There is a clear design guideline of 400m that should be adhered to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Person takes bus from Howth Road to city centre, and wants to go to Grafton St. Do you all want the bus to drive up Grafton St because its so ridiculous that said person has to walk a couple of hundred metres on the Howth Road to their nearest bus stop?

That's what taxis are for. Being on a bus and it stopping too frequently every 400m or less is ridiculous, and makes the journey longer.

People getting irate here about 200m is hilarious. If you can't walk that 200m then the bus really isn't the best option for you.

• Advertisement

They are turning a 300m walk into a 600m walk, when the globally recommended distance between stops is 400m. This makes absolutely no sense when we are trying to encourage people out of their cars.

And we're not talking about an estate in a Dublin suburb. This is a core city centre location. A huge benefit of living here is the proximity to public transport and the city centre.

Avg walking speed is 1.4m per second, so that's a 7minute walk to a bus stop, versus the current 3.5minute walk.

A 7 minute walk versus 3 minutes is a significant change.

The North Strand is already super unfriendly to pedestrian with a distinct lack of pedestrian crossings. 

Whatever about the bus stops, the above is not something I've ever heard or perceived myself.

Between Annesley Bridge and the five lamps there's 6 pedestrian crossings in about 1km. One averaging every 170m is hardly " a distinct lack of crossings". One could argue that it is Fairview which has a relative lack of crossings. Go 1km from Annesley Bridge in the opposite direction and you only get three crossings by the time you hit the Malahide Road.

If you were to squeeze a few more in on the NS, where would you put them? It's only about 500m from the FB station to the flats. At most you're about 275m from the nearest stop. Hardly a herculean task for anyone already within range of the stops to be removed?

Is a 600m walk between stops, doesn’t mean you have to walk 600m. the most you have to walk is 300m (plus whatever else if you live far from the bus route, in which case you can probably take a more direct line to the bus stop)

It is clear from your message you don't know North Strand. All the side streets are perpendicular to the main road, there is no "direct line" to the bus stop. It is a complicated warren of streets within North Strand and most people live 2-300metres away from the main road.

I'm not sure what people are missing here. Recommended distance is 400m. Current distance is 300m. Planned new distance is 600m.

You don't need to be a mathematician is see that 300 is closer to 400 than 600.

• Advertisement

Cars, taxis and buses bomb it through through the North Strand at 60km/h. Speed limit reduces to 50km/h just at the start of North Strand but few adhere to this.

Two of the pedestrian crossings are directly either side of the canal and do not offer much additional benefit. The pedestrian crossing at Springgarden is only on one side of this wide junction.

An ideal position for a pedestrian crossing would have been between bus stops 4384 and 617 (Bayview to Strandville).

1. Speed limits have literally nothing to do with the topic of crossings. Zero. Not sure why you think that's relevant.
    2. Get rid of one of those crossings at the canal, then. Or count them as one and reduce the number to 5 crossings. Still leaves 5 in a 1km stretch. A crossing every 200m is not insignificant.
    3. A new crossing at that spot would leave a gap of less than 150m to the one at the post office, which (in your own words) offers little benefit when located relatively close together......and a 2 min walk is relatively close together. It also means that in the 450m distance between Leinster Avenue and Shamrock Place, which takes 6 mins to walk or less than 1 min to drive, traffic going into town (i.e. buses and cyclists) would now have to potentially stop a total of 5 times for pedestrians to cross. This is excessive. Calling that out as a "distinct lack of crossings" is just clearly not true.

Can we not get distracted with this argument. I don't have a major issue with the pedestrian crossings. It was merely a statement that I feel the North Strand is not friendly to pedestrians.

If you sit outside Cloud Cafe for lunch, you might get a sense of what I mean. You frequently see pedestrians running across the wide 4-lane road getting to the main row of shops there.

But this is not what worth discussing as part of the permanent removal of bus stops which is my main issue.

Look, I'm willing to drop it, but you're the one who brought it up. You said it's "unsafe for pedestrians with it's lack of crossings".

Watching lazy bastards running across the road because they're not arsed walking to the lights is besides the point and has no bearing on what you said previously. You can't use the garglers in Cusacks as any sort of yardstick for road infrastructure.

Same with the post about speed limits. And your misunderstanding of distances between bus stops compounds all of this. The NS is well served by crossings AND by bus stops. Removing the two stops there will cause a minor* disturbance for a limited number of people and may improve the journey times for tens of thousands.

*and it is minor.......before the removal a person had to travel X metres to the stop. Now, at most they have to travel an extra 300m or 3 mins walk to get to a stop. And that's at the most extreme end of things. For most, it will be even shorter.

Your use of language such as lazy bastards to refer to the locals who drink in Cusacks says all it needs to say about your character and attitude to residents of this area.

By your logic, we could just remove a third of the bus stops in Dublin. Sure then a a third have to walk "a little further" but sure 100s of thousands would benefit from quicker journeys.

Anyway, I've raised this matter with a number of councillors and TDs and a number of them have already responded. Councillor Burke was strongly vocal of these plans at the time of planning, including removal of bus stops but was ignored. Another councillor has received numerous contacts today from concerned residents regarding the matter. So we'll wait and see what happens.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Cars, taxis and buses bomb it through through the North Strand at 60km/h. Speed limit reduces to 50km/h just at the start of North Strand but few adhere to this.

I do not believe that you're correct on the start of the 50km/h limit. From memory, if you drive out of town, towards Howth, the first time the speed limit will increase from 50km/h is after you pass the Bull Island Causeway & Watermill Rd junction (several km from N. Strand). However, I'd agree that drivers speed along N. Strand.

Anyhow, let's stay on topic.

Yeah I would like to think it's changed in recent times, but it was always 60km/h along Fairview Strand reducing to 50km/h at the Fire Station. There is one of those flashing speed signs at the start of North Strand showing your speed.

Drivers definitely speed through North Strand. The area, including Fairview, have never been treated a village which, in my opinion, have made them pedestrian unfriendly. They are dominated by heavy road traffic. Let's hope the cycleway will change that regardless of the bus stop locations.

I drink in Cusacks myself 😁, don't know what you're getting at there.

I'm calling them lazy bastards not because they drink in Cusacks, but because they refuse to walk up the road to the traffic lights. You can't just keep banging lights in wherever people are too lazy to use the infrastructure already in place.

By your logic, we could just remove a third of the bus stops in Dublin. Sure then a a third have to walk "a little further" but sure 100s of thousands would benefit from quicker journeys.

That doesn't make any sense. By your logic we should have a stop every 100 metres because nobody can walk more than that. Also, pedestrian crossings every 50 metres in case anyone wants to cross the road, ffs.

Another councillor has received numerous contacts today from concerned residents regarding the matter. So we'll wait and see what happens.

That's just a made up load of bullsh1t. And with that, I'm out of here. Good luck with your extra 3 mins walk to the bus stop.

I actually do, and you’ll have seen that from my earlier posts. My point is that the distances are small and if someone can’t walk an extra 100 / 150 (being half the increase distance between stops) then God knows what they’re doing to do when they get into town!

What had London got to do with this?

We don't have door to door transport in this country, so an extra couple of hundred metres between bus stops is minor when compared to the distance to be travelled at the other end of the journey.

• Advertisement

If you're standing where the bus stop "used to be" and new nearest one is 300m either side of you, then it's an extra 300m. Don't know where you're getting 100m.

His point is still valid, if 300m isn't feasible then what is that person going to do when they got off the bus at their destination?

Neither does London, but they do have a full set of best practice guidelines. Or do we just make up as we go along?

No we just don't throw a strop over having to walk an extra 200m. Or take a taxi.

No I throw a strop when DCC remove bus stops in my area that go against best practice guidelines.

Best practice guidelines are not just pulled out of someone's arse. They are based on actual research and studies on how humans interact with the world. Going against public transport best practice guidelines when we're trying to encourage out of cars is insane.

AND IT'S THRRE HUNDRED GOD DAMN METRES NOT TWO.

The only people standing where the bus stop used to be are the people who live where the stop used to be. The stops aren't 300m either side, they're 300m apart, so roughly 150m either side of the old stop.

That one person now has an extra 150m walk, everyone else has less of a walk. Simple. Even those in Ballybough walking down to the strand won't have to do the full 150 (or whatever it is).

The proposed bus stops are 600m apart, 586m and 592m to be exact.

Not 300m as you keep insisting. Can you read any of the docs please? Or simply look at the image I've very kindly marked up, just in case it's difficult for you to understand.

Apologies, I might have been confusing you with someone else who was confused about the distances.

The point stands, however. An extra 300m is fcuk all in the grand scheme of things. At 3km/h it takes 6 mins, and that's nearly half the standard walking speed. For pretty much everyone else, it's under 4.

• Advertisement

Yes yes it's very easy to trivialise 300m.

Fact is though, the removal of this stop doubles the distance to the next nearest stop for a significant portion of residents in North Strand and the planned spacing between stops is 50% higher than the recommended 400m.

I'm not sure why the residents of North Strand should be expected to accept this. If they are, then let's review the spacing of bus stops across the entirety of Dublin city and increase it to 600m.

This will inconvenience a large minority of the city but sure 'who gives a toss', because the rest of the city benefits from faster service.

Advertisement