Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with current affairs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

“Pony up” 🤣

The “vague conspiracy theories” changed when posters admitted on this thread they are coordinating together.

Not sure why the other people in this little group can’t own up? If it’s nothing to hide as claimed

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭laoisgem

For everyone's sake can this thread be closed?

I would like to see the little gang who are PM each other to own up….I doubt it will happen

So in other words,not an screed of evidence,but yous are all free to throw around conspiracy theories at will about other posters,backed to hilt by admins

Where is this evidence?,looks to me,yous have mistaken assertions for evidence.....as I said,a failure of a forum...great idea,but implementation was woeful

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭shirrup

You're seriously going to pull out the "homophobic card"? While we're at it, that's another thing the moderation team need to pull up their socks on, that and the bogus misogyny cards posters reach for when they've run out of arguement.

Yes, I know it looks like I'm purposely choosing to focus on Varadkar, but let's be honest, he and the leaking controversy featured in this thread from the off, the reason I'm bringing in the Paul Murphy comparison, is because that card was played the other day in a thread I was viewing. (I think it was a "comeback" to a FG Cllr availing of HAP)

I seen a question asked the other day in a thread that went something along the lines of "which minister leaked confidential documents" ? To which they were provided with a heap of links to websites, including the BBC detailing Varadkars brush with the law.

The replies were all deleted.

The question however, as far as I'm aware was allowed to stay there.

If that doesn't look like an example of inconsistent and biased modding, I'm a gazelles uncle. You can't blame posters who are claiming it to be honest.

And with that, I'm logging out for the evening. By the way I'm only posting my opinions here, nothing personal.

• Advertisement

Leo was cleared, people making false accusations of Leo online could be seen as defamation

Thats why it is deleted.

I seen the interaction, it had nothing to do with the thread, nothing to do with the topic. Was ploughed into the middle for no reason apart from having a pop at Leo.

Mod was consistent and I got a slap on wrist for doing something similar on another thread. Difference is I just took the punishment and moved on, not sitting crying about it weeks later

You want to make it One sided and the mods are the problem. It’s not, it’s the users and I include myself in that and after reading this thread I certainly will change my interactions on here to try save them dealing with this sort of stuff

For analogy I am using the ship 'Titanic' as an example for 'Current Affairs'.

In the film, as Titanic sinks, a 1st class passenger "gentleman" makes it his prime goal to shoot and kill Leonardo DiCaprio's character.

Well, in the context of Current Affairs and boards as a whole, there are those coordinated groups of posters who really don't give a shut about Current Affairs and Boards. They just post to dismiss other posters points and that's that.

That's me. Won't post again in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

That was my post in which I listed the range of issues missed by supposedly main journalists. It included Varadkars leak.

Blanch took exception to the word ‘leak’.

I posted a list of all the media I could find calling it a leak.

I got a warning and my two posts got deleted and blanch’s one complaining was left.

Basically the mod was riding shotgun for blanch’s sensitivity.

Laughable.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,630 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Well we know you are not answerable to anyone, so again, why are you here?

Nothing better to do tonight?

Stop baiting mark, if they don't want to answer to you you could leave it!

• Advertisement

Sitting in the evening sun chatting with my partner and son who is heading on a trip later tonight. Having a not too shabby glass of Picpoul De Pinet as well.

What are you doing marko?

Leaving it there was asking for trouble, because more and more users might have kept answering it too.

Is it still there? I can't remember which thread it was in exactly, and tried the search function for it (before really logging out) but I can't figure out if the search function is actually useless, or that question has since been removed.

If so, brilliant. But I repeat allowing the question to remain, but any answers to it deleted..... Not a good look.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,786 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Those two threads are a blight on Boards, they are echo chambers.

A certain core group of posters will antagonise, bait and troll, posters of a differing opinion.

They then mass report the opposing posters posts in a bid to have them banned so as the echo chamber can be maintained.

Obviously, the moderators react to the reported posts and the minority view posters are disciplined.

However certain posters who have TDS have been banned and had their bans overturned .

They can literally reoffend day after day on the thread, it’s become a farce at this stage.

Posters lashing out , posting all sorts of vile personal abuse , getting banned and then returning a few weeks later, ban rescinded to repeat their behaviour.

Its one rule for one side and a different rule for everybody else.

The Trump thread is inhabited by people who have an unhealthy hatred of Trump, some post negatively about Trump on a daily basis.

This has been going on for 6 or 7 years, its not good to have such hatred in your mind.

Those who dare to challenge the hive mind will be attacked, called a Trumpite, a Klan member, stupid, lacking education, racist, fascist , a non critical thinker, etc etc

Personal insult after insult.

The moderators have a tough job to do and are understaffed but the main instigators should be thread banned and the two threads would be a lot more civil.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Notmything

Would you not be brave enough to use your real account to post this?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Its important to note that contacting, informing people and coordinating are two completely different things.

Example 1: I phoned my brother to tell him there were sausages in the butcher's again. That is an example of informing someone, communication.

Example 2: I phoned my brother to tell him there were sausages in the shop and we agreed that I would quickly run over and buy half the stock and later he would go over and buy the other half. That is coordination.

Coordination requires an agreed course of action for both parties. There has been no evidence presented of coordination, only communication.

Even if there was, does it matter? It's not against the rules as far as I know. If boards didn't want users to communicate privately it wouldn't have a PM functionality.

The mod was reminded to remove blanchs question.

Which was the actual attempt to divert.

I had just mentioned 4 or 5 issues so called journalists had missed.

There had been no on thread mod to not mention Leo’s leak.

I broke a rule nobody knew existed.

Troy became verboten shortly after.

It has become impossible to navigate.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,909 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Did you get promoted to mod in my absence?

If Beasty asked me for a copy of all my PMs to those (two of whom I have never PM'd), I would provide them to him.

Therein lies the difference.

The Matt Barrett account was probably the worst example of homophobia that I have seen on these boards.

Leo wasn't charged.

Paul Murphy was , and then was actually cleared (in a court of law, not on boards and by some of the Irish media)

A distinct difference.

Do you feel people should be free to discuss Murphy's case with impunity too, now that that has been explained to you?

That biden tread is a joke,

I got warned/post deleted for pointing out,there is little in substance different between trump's concentration style camps for migrants,and bidens which they simply gave a different name too.......

(as an aside the whole obsession with US politics,to ignore our own,is something I don't think il ever understand......

but yous are right as regards a cohort of posters seemingly tone-bossing thread, is off-putting,even as someone who would be likely be closer in outlook to em,than to trump support outlook)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,046 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I have often seen a post where the poster openly states they received a PM to alert them to the thread because it would interest them or they could help answer a query.

The allegation that posters were conspiring via PM hasn't been proven. Is that because it was just a hunch? A cynical person might conclude that proof could only be provided by acknowledging that PMs are accessible.

@Boards.ie: Niamh and @Boards.ie: Odhran haven't answered here, was there a response on twitter?

i see this thread is to become shinnerbase central now that uh operations have become uh restricted in CA recently uh

Make of this what ya want,(boards account in replies)

Seems someone has sought external answers

So like Brokenangel and Mark can we catergorically state that you are corordinating with those you do PM with?

Correct - no we can't.

For the record Niamh answered that tweet posted earlier about gdpr and provided an email.

I emailed her about this thread and offered access to my PM's if Boards wishes to inquire into the allegations.

I can tell you one thing for sure they won't be posted here for the 'jump to conclusions' crowd to pick over.

Wow, just wow.

I really didn't understand the extent to which I was living inside those two poster's heads. Incredible stuff.

A tiny part of me is saying to my ego, look at that, you are really important to some people. A slightly bigger part of me is telling the tiny part to shut up, what if they found out who you really were? Would the boys in balaclavas be calling round?

I never expected to see such vitriol and obsession in response to my posting. Sure, I can be caustic, sarcastic and cutting, but to get that kind of reaction, to have other posters firing off PMs to mods about me defending their actions. Wow, just wow.

The overwhelming part of me, 99.9% of me, now just feels sorry for them. I am a nobody. I am not a TD or a politician, I am not a member of a political party, I do not work for a political party, I don't spend my day PMing others about threads (though I have maybe twice in three years PM'd somebody to look at a thread set up by someone else). I am just an ordinary member of the public, posting on an internet forum who has a hatred for Sinn Fein, borne from personal experience in the 1970s and 1980s.

But seeing these two, have they nothing better to do than obsess about other posters and how they are moderated? I mean, it is one thing to get obsessed about posting on a message board, even to have a hobby horse, but it is a whole other level to get to a level of obsession that you are mentioning another poster in every second post as Francie has done for the last two pages.

Conspiracy theories from Brucie and Dempo about cabals of other posters doing them down is just weird as well.

Thankfully my identity is unknown, if it were known I am not sure how safe I would be.

Edit: Somehow the post from Brucie where he put up his PM to Beasty which obsessed about me got cut when I quoted it.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I will just add a few general comments about my interaction on this site

I joined many moons ago and posted primarily in the Cycling forum. I became a mod of that forum as well as Dublin County North

In due course I was made a Category Moderator for Sports. I was involved in almost all the disputes in that forum over an extended period and probably still have resolved more disputes than any other CMod on the site

Back in 2014 I suffered serious injuries in a cycling accident. After that I had one poster openly calling me "Brain Dead"

I reduced my contributions to discussions and when on the site focussed mainly on my CMod responsibilities

Within a year or so of my accident I was asked to become an Admin. I turned that down as I felt I could not give that role proper attention as I continued to recover from my injuries

After another year or two I was asked again and on that occasion accepted. It meant I reduced my posting across the site as I wanted to give that new role as much attention as I could

Throughout my time as Admin I have only been interested in trying to make this site a success. To hopefully help it thrive again.

I have had my run ins with posters. I have been accused of being left wing, right warning. Yesterday I had a PM saying "go **** youself leftist wanker ,we are sick of you" and a follow up saying "Fcuk off leftist clown"

I have had an incredibly successful career. I do not need to get any "kicks" from this site. My role here is insignificant compared to what I did and what I achieved as a very senior executive in a very large Global business. My contributions to "regular" discussions on this site are now minimal. I spend most of my time dealing with crap like this thread, and posters like these two. I do not seek any reward from doing this. I do get kicks out of resolving things in a constructive and amiable fashion. And you know what - most posters who do cause problems are actually very constructive and amiable when we get to discuss things they may have done where I have intervened

Alas there are other posters who never wish to have any constructive discussion. they want everything their way. They cannot accept there may actually be an issue in the way they try and use this site. They "complain" and when that does not work they try shouting louder to attract attention to their "cause". I do think this thread actually shows that a large proportion of people will actually see through all of that when someone takes the trouble to explain what's been going on

Anyway. I will re-iterate - my actions on this site are entirely directed to try and make it a better place. One which can hopefully grow again. One where people think they can have civil discussions. One where people can actually help each other, and not look to be at each others throats. I realise there will be differences in CA, but none of that is a reason to interact in an uncivil manner. Unfortunately there have been a few examples in this thread where some posters have been less than civil. I have deliberately avoided dealing with any reported posts from this thread. I put a call out to other Admins to have a look at them, but alas so far to no avail

Did you even read my post?????

I said I have never PM'd two of the three names that were listed, neither have I ever PM'd brokenangel who you now mention.

I have never PM'd another poster alerting them to a thread that I have started.

Not the same, Francie, not the same.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I did not post any PM from another poster. I posted my own PM which I am perfectly entitled to do

• Advertisement

Have you PMed other posters?

I mentioned Brokenangel not because you PMed him but because he is one of those running off with Beasty's allegation as a 'fact'.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement