Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with current affairs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

Here head off on a tangent all you want

I explained it to you, take it or leave. I honestly couldn’t care

Was posted days ago

I see Dempo is stirring on Twitter now after been told multiple times on this thread that PM are not viewed by mods 🤥🤥🤥

Not on the boat eating pizza and reading comments from boards to friends?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

The poster had several other accounts, all banned

• Registered Users Posts: 7,403 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Every individual has their biases and blind spots, myself included and presumably you'd agree? Sometimes we don't even know what they are until they are pointed out to us. Try as we might, it is impossible to be even handed so that's why it's important to have others assisting.

The real issue here beasty is that you are an admin moderating a forum. When someone has a run in with you, there is nowhere to go, no higher authority to appeal to. So effectively in that forum, what you say, goes and that's irrespective of whether you are actually right or wrong. In such a contentious forum, one by its nature is going to be riven with division, you can surely see is extremely problematic.

I think it would be best if admins stepped away from direct moderating duties and just did the other functions that are necessary for running the site. I think you need to choose between being a moderator or an admin.

• Advertisement

Just a comment on the privacy or not of PM's. Boards has access to them because they have access to the servers, so Niamh and Odhran and the Admins. While it's technically possible I would hope that integrity is intact and they aren't read. Also I don't believe it's as easy as clicking on a name and entering the inbox, it's something to do with a yoke called "hashes" and passwords etc .

Why would they bother? 99.9999% of users have a couple of PM which probably like myself are asking someone to recommend a service or product. Nothing else.

As I said, I have never seen or heard of any forum that has users sharing PM's about threads and discussions.

In reality all that would happen is every mod decision would be escalated anyway.

Do you honestly think that every single infraction @Brucie Bonus and @FrancieBrady got they wouldn't have automatically asked for it to be sent to admin to try and get it overruled?

Just look at the carry on so far on this thread. At no stage during the 37 odd pages have either of them admitted they are in any way wrong. Not that I have seen but not sure how anyone could remember every single post on here.

@brokenangel absolutely why would they bother. They do have the ability however and I think it's important for us to be aware of that.

Also the regular users have no access because we can't access the servers.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I can confirm I have no access to servers. All that sort of stuff is only dealt with either in the office or Vanilla itself

Thanks for confirming Beasty. I wasn't 100% if yourselves did have access. Websites tend to have Administrators overseeing and looking after the running of the site but your role as different I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

You are absolutely incapable of unbiased moderation or any level of self awareness, apparently.

Civility has some preconditions, none of those preconditions exist in CA due to your one sided interventions

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭PeadarCo

The think is no one here has disputed the fact that the two posters banned aren't time sinks. Based on Beastys posts they got banned for repeated rule breaking. You can see exactly why they've been banned in this thread. The cat fighting on this thread is the reason I avoid that forum. You could definitely argue more people should be banned, but I'd defer to someone who actually has experience of dealing with the relevant posters.

If you want light touch/no moderation there are plenty of places on the Internet that allow that. No one has an automatic right to post on the site.

Your post itself is incredibly insulting to the massive work Beasty has put into the site. Beasty is one of the reasons Boards remains a place where civil on line discussions can happen. You haven't actually shown any reason why Beasty has made a bad decision. Mods and admin are volunteers and don't get paid. If they feel certain posters are time sinks for whatever reason they should be entitled to ban them for that.

The issue you mention with admin and mods has never been an issue in the history of the site. If posters are time sinks which seems to be Beastys issue with the relevant posters it makes no difference. Eventually mods would get fed up with them, pass them onto admins, admins get fed up and then the ban comes along.

I never claim to get everything right. I have already posted how I seek to interact with users in a constructive manner which can result in the reversal of warnings or other actions I take as a moderator or indeed Site Admin

Ten of Swords has already posted about how the modding of CA evolved. It always has had Admins as moderators precisely because of all the issues arising with it's predecessors Politics Cafe and Cafe II which both failed and were closed down

Now Covid has died down a bit CA is probably just about the most active forum across the site. Since the migration we have been significantly down on Mods, CMods and Admins. We were awaiting the hopeful introduction of additional mod tools before making too much of an effort to get more mods as they would have quite limited resources and indeed we are now seeing more activity from mods who did step back due to the migration and lack of moderation tools

Myself and Ten of Swords have probably been the most active mods across the site since the migration. We have been dealing with the busiest forums with the most problems. I have been happy to just get on with that in the absence of even a significant presence at Admin level beyond myself. There has been some activity involving other Admins but most of that has been behind the scenes. TBH it would probably fall largely on Niamh and me to try and get some proper structure back into the Mod, CMod and Admin functions, but it's only now we are getting some of the functionality required - I do have additional resources as an Admin, but they are not that easy to use and I've probably spent more time than anyone else getting my head around what we can actually do

You could put 100 mods and 100 admins on the CA forum and the same posters would be complaining it has too many admins/mods

If you turned it into a light touch, they would be on here complaining that the mods/admin are doing nothing

You are never going to win!!!! that my opinion anyway

I guess this is another of the famous McMurphy accounts?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,403 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Surely, surely you can see that in the most contentious forum on the site, having no means to appeal a mod decision because the mod is also an admin is hugely problematic. How many of your mod decisions has another admin overturned? Do you think all of those decisions were right? As a percentage of the decisions you've taken I bet it's 0.x% overturned if any at all.

If you are going to act as a mod, well then other cmods and other admins should be overseeing you in that role. But they won't because you are an admin. In any case It would be far neater and cleaner however if the mod role was just delegated to someone else.

As someone said earlier in the thread, if the Gaurds arrived at Boards.ie with a search warrant the requested pm's would rightly be handed over to them. The same with any messaging service. It all comes down to foolish people believing that something they type into a box on an online website, and pressing send, is guaranteed confidential.

But people are surely entitled to know,whom exactly has access to the PMs,alot of the issues at the sockpuppet issue didn't add up to me anyway.....a little transparently wouldn't go amiss

True. But I think that's been clarified on twitter by Niamh. She doesn't seem inclined to get involved with this thread. Can't imagine why.

I do like these new members slotting in like they've been here years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

You should be ashamed of yourself.

Beasty has selflessly dedicated thousands of hours of his time to run this forum (incidentally I am still shocked and appalled that administrators don’t get paid) and the idea that you would speak to him in that disrespectful manner after such a personal post is obscene.

These are the facts: the two posters who will remain nameless are troublemakers who conspire to brigade threads, consistently breaking forum rules, and racking up literally dozens of infractions.

Beasty is apparently the only active administrator on the site and is fed up of being consistently drawn into lengthy PM exchanges explaining his policing of the rules to people who consistently abuse them.

There is not a single rational person who would look at this situation objectively and not suggest that Beasty fück them out of the forum all together, with a cock-eyed warning to anyone else who fancies a record-breaking ban-collecting run.

There are times when you need to have the softy-softy “maybe they’ll learn next time” and others when you give losers the boot up the arse and out the door they deserve.

Well, Beasty, I speak for everyone sane here when I say this: lace up and get ready to come into into the big game. It’s the bottom of the ninth and we need to punt a one over the line for the big ‘un. Let’s bring the Cup home for little Billy.

Great post. I haven’t posted since the various attacks against me in those threads the mods were not even reading them, just reading reports. The place is full of wind up merchants and judging by this thread the government threads are headed in exactly the same direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭sameoldname

I hope you didn't post that with a straight face. Especially the part about self-awareness.

oh I know when I'm being a dick, and on boards it's nearly always in response to someone getting scorpy with me without let nor hinderance.

Beasty, on the other hand, spends all day with his finger on the scales telling himself what a straight up fella he is, apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭PeadarCo

But what difference would it make? Have you actually read through the dispute resolution threads and seen Beastys interactions? We obviously also don't see stuff resolved by PM.

Boards doesn't have enough moderators which is something Beasty has admitted more or less in his posts. So your proposed idea is currently unworkable at the moment regardless of its actual merits. How people abusing one of the main active mods/admins helps things is beyond me. This thread alone would make anyone think twice about being a mod on any contentious forum. Beasty has got a huge amount of abuse for simply doing the job he volunteers to do. You don't have to agree with all his decisions but you do need to respect him.

If people want more mods they need to be respectful to the ones we have especially around contentious topics ie the topics that most urgently need mods.

i see the line is in from head office

"attack beasty and keep questioning privacy of PMs- ignore any response, just focus on those two approaches. further instructions to follow"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

• Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

The issue you mention with admin and mods has never been an issue in the history of the site.

this is the issue "The real issue here beasty is that you are an admin moderating a forum. When someone has a run in with you, there is nowhere to go, no higher authority to appeal to."

It's been an issue forever on the site, and was never addressed.

mar dhea everyone who has a problem with beasty's moderation would all of a sudden be all love and cuddles if they were being handled by other mods

is anyone meant to swallow this bull, its insulting in its transparency

boards was better off years ago without the gang lumping on in this thread, and to see them playing the group victim is nauseating

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

Add to that he floated a conspiracy theory and posted a PM between him and a poster to add suspicion to his theory. Its absolutely nuts goings on.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement