Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,986 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

The young lads get a chance to be front and centre with the coaches, rather than holding tackle bags and being the 'other guys' in training drills.

That's good for them and even if the coaches find two or three guys who can rise up the pecking order, that would be an OK outcome.

Whether it's worth trekking all the way to SA and denuding the provinces, I'm not sure, but since it's happening regardless, might as well take some positives from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭starkid

But AF isn´t even going?

the only way this will be in any way interesting is if the true wodnerkids are picked. you´re talking way left field picks, even guys like Edogbo or Okeke, Campbell say. Guys like Penny, Ahern and the others.with a few of the maori dirt trackers thrown in to test their leadership in a youngish group.

if its the same team as the Maoris then its just going to disrupt massively and Ire will learn nothing. i mean i know the latter is most likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,236 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

It's not just playing the teams or flying to South Africa. It's the fact that these guys will be building working relationships with the Ireland staff, traveling to do a tour, being core and leadership team members in the match week, working on strategy and analysis, making decisions as core player during the game.

You can pick any single element of that and say you don't get why anyone would think it's good prep. But how you can look at the whole package and not conclude it's good prep is very strange. And the conclusion that you think it's just about wearing a green jersey (surely a minor part of the whole thing) is a silly strawman.

Andy Farrell isn´t going. so its a misnomer to be saying its about working with staff. the head coach won´t be here, and the buck stops with him. so it can´t be about working with staff etc.

some of you guys will praise anything the IRFU do. you can´t polish a turd. this tour is a dud just accept that.

Ah right. I thought AF wasn't going but I didn't realise none of the regular staff were going. Who is going instead?

• Advertisement

not sure if thats rhetorical, yes the regular staff is going. which is something. But AF is the main man and the fact he won´t be there (for whatever reasons) just makes the claim that its about working with people less valid imo.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

look at the emerging ireland squad from 2013 below, ive bolded those who went on to have a half decent test career (more than 10 caps).

EMERGING IRELAND Squad (Tblisi Cup, Georgia):

Michael Allen (Belfast Harlequins/Ulster) *

Michael Bent (Dublin University/Leinster)

Andrew Conway (Blackrock College/Leinster) *

John Cooney (Lansdowne/Leinster) *

Sean Cronin (St. Mary’s College/Leinster)

David Foley (UL Bohemians/Munster) *

Eoin Griffin (Galwegians/Connacht) *

Cathal Marsh (Dublin University/Leinster) *

Michael Heaney (Belfast Harlequins/Ulster) *

Rob Herring (Ballynahinch/Ulster) *

David Kearney (Lansdowne/Leinster) *

Ian Keatley (Young Munster/Munster)

Richard Lutton (Belfast Harlequins/Ulster) *

Brendan Macken (Blackrock College/Leinster) *

Jack McGrath (St. Mary’s College/Leinster) *

Eoin McKeon (Galwegians/Connacht) *

Martin Moore (Lansdowne/Leinster) *

Niall Morris (Leicester Tigers) *

Jordi Murphy (Lansdowne/Leinster) *

Ian Nagle (Cork Constitution/Munster) *

Robbie Diack (Malone/Ulster) *

Tiernan O’Halloran (Galwegians/Connacht) *

Rhys Ruddock (St. Mary’s College/Leinster) (capt)

Dominic Ryan (Lansdowne/Leinster) *

John Ryan (Cork Constitution/Munster) *

Lewis Stevenson (Malone/Ulster) *

thats not a bad return from a "seconds" squad. if we could get anything close to that from this SA tour we'd be doing extremely well

Ah. So probably all the staff except AF? So they'll build their working relationships with all the staff except AF and that's not good?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Why people think minutes against Currie cup teams is good prep for test rugby is beyond me.

Do you question the purpose of the Irish team playing the under 20’s as prep for the 6N too?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I wonder if any other options were considered.

Would Farrell get similar benefits from hosting a couple of out of window tests against tier 2 opposition.

Extend the Autumn Internationals. Send out the emerging players against Samoa on 29 October and Japan on 26 November.

Wales and South Africa are playing out of competition tests and no one is accusing them of crapping on the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I’d say firstly having two extra tests means having a bigger squad with the extra players being sort of bag holders and secondly I’d say this is about getting players into a proper touring camp, with leadership groups and meetings based around that squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

In fairness Wales crap on the league by being in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭ersatz

This is exactly the point, it's much less about he matches and much more about the environment, systems and expectations in the camp on tour. From the coaching pov it's often the case that in a tournament you end up press ganging in players to cover injuries/covid/suspensions by bringing in players not part of the original squad, they need to slot in and maybe play almost immediately in matches that are potentially WC knockouts. If this tour pays off in one or two situations like that it's well worth it, never mind the benefits to players themselves from being part of this kind of tour. I've no doubt that in the long term it benefits the provinces too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I've no doubt that in the long term it benefits the provinces too.

Unfortunately I have several doubts. By far the best thing for the provinces is to have a URC with competitive teams, with every union fully committed to it.

Yes, the Welsh carping on about joining the Premiership is annoying, particularly when they are so uncompetitive - but we are not exactly countering their argument that we don't think the league seriously.

But in reality the provinces will likely field stronger teams during this tour as they'll need frontliners to play in games they might not ordinarily play in, I'm really not convinced that this will somehow diminish the URC. But the point you quote here is about those younger players benefiting from the tour which should make them better players, and that should help the provinces longer term. Honestly people are looking for downsides here when there really aren't any.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Honestly people are looking for downsides here when there really aren't any.

I think the potential for injury is another downside. If someone like, say, Cian Prendergast arrived back with a long-term injury, I think Connacht fans would have reason to feel aggrieved.

Ultimately, it's additional game-time, outside a Test window, in an already stretched calendar.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

The opposition is irrelevant here. The environment is what is important. Getting more lads time into an Irish camp with the Irish coaches in the limited time left before the WC is a great idea, considering a few of these boys might be on the bubble or end up as injury cover - they'll be able to fit right in without any disruption.

Normally when Ireland play, people want 15 brand new uncapped players under the age of 24 or else we're not building depth for the future. For those people, I thought this would be a wet dream.

But if Prendergast (or whoever) didn't travel, he'd be training and playing in Ireland the whole time anyway. There's no extra gametime and they're as likely to get injured in the URC as they are on tour.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

But everyone is condemning them for a lack of player welfare by then increasing the number of games this season.... which they have history with as well.

WR should not be sanctioning these out of window games in the name of player welfare.

It's pure profiteering on the backs of the players

• Advertisement

There is extra game time tho; there’s an extra 80 mins x 15 x 3 = an extra 3,600 minutes that we didn’t have in previous seasons.

That will have to be managed in terms of player welfare.

I’m not saying it’s jeopardous but it is a consideration.

But it's not extra game time. By playing three games in SA, they're missing three rounds of URC.

Net effect = zero. No?

The net effect for the players on tour is zero. But the net effect for the provincial squads isn’t.

It doesn’t line up exactly but by way of example, take the URC game following the tour; the remaining squad will have played the previous 3 URC games PLUS the re-joining tour members will have played their tour minutes they’ve played in parallel. That’ll have to be managed.

Unless I’m missing something?

There are extra minutes but that's not necessarily a bad thing. If those minutes go to already stretched players, then it's probably not good. If those minutes go to fringe squad players and academy players, then it's not bad at all. Might weaken the team a bit but that's always the way when trying out young players.

That’s exactly the point tho; some fringe players for the Ireland squad are core players for the provinces.

We’ll wait and see what the squad is tho, but I take the point. Jack Crowley for example was released to play for Shannon last season. This tour could be great for someone like him.

But it’s also likely to take away a cohort of guys that are closer to Ireland inclusion and key to their province.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I know what the point I quoted is. The provinces don't exist in a vacuum and the strength of the URC and how seriously it is taken is of vital importance to the long-term health of the provinces (particularly given the constant **** around with the European Cup) and the ability of young players to improve and grow. Efforts such as trying to get more Scottish and Welsh players back playing in-country benefits us in the long term and while the effect is minimal, things like this do not help that.

Leinster may well field a stronger team, but I doubt that will be true across the board. People can view the downsides of this to be worth it in the long term and its a pretty reasonable view, but I reject completely the idea that there are none.

why would it be a wet dream...its an uncapped mickey mouse tour where the head coach will be absent. its unsurprising many on here can´t find fault with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

• Advertisement

I see your point but I'd still say the two issues you refer to are unrelated. Irish provinces do take the URC seriously, I've not see criticism that they don't. The criticism wrt Irish teams is that Leinster have the resources to compete in the league without having to use their frontline players often, rather than they don't take the comp seriously, they've won 5 from the last 6 afterall.

Welsh and Scottish problems with players based in other leagues is a separate problem that no-one paying attention will confuse with any Irish issues and I can't see how this proposed tour is related to those problems in any way whatsoever. As for the net affects on the provinces of this tour and their URC performances we'll just have to see who tours and how they cope, I'm guessing it won't be significant but Ill be happy to eat my shoe if it does have a big impact on results.

Advertisement