Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukrainian refugees in Ireland - Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

This is before school starts, like? With the parents dropping the kids off? Or so the story goes, anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

As a parent, I recall my childrens school notifying us of start date some time shortly after summer holidays began. This notification came with the school report and booklist for existing students and just booklist and timetable for junior infants. That was back in the 80’s. I’m sure that it’s pretty much the same now.

That's not what I'm getting at. Do the Cyrillic numbers on their timepieces only start after 11:00?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

When I came to Ireland I remember going into school the first day and getting the timetable from the office. Dunno why people are printing stuff out the parents can access the school website and print out their own information. Google Translate may be helpful there.

• Advertisement

Apparently so! They managed to work out the 8:30 or 9. But not the 12 when it finished. Not a one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭thedart

Apology accepted, wasn’t fair asking you for proof that the 50,000 have documents. We clearly know they don’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Liath Luachra

God that's heart breaking...mightn't necessarily be language barrier. Must be a huge change for the kids. Not surprised teacher is worried.

Splitting the 3 lads up doesn't make sense.

In the long run, its best for the families to try to jump in and learnt the language. In a previous career, lots of family history, medical history etc. taken as part of assessment. Several families living here years, never learnt English but always, the teenage children would miss school to assist parents to translate. It became a recurring issue to the point, principals would contact us to complain. Also worked with translators, something always lost in translation or families unhappy with loss of privacy. Parents were frustrated they couldn't advocate properly.

We can all accommodate in translating but learning the language is best for the families themselves.

• Advertisement

Splitting the 3 kids up might actually make sense. That way, they're each being fully immersed in English. If left to sit together, they'd possibly be chatting away in Ukrainian, or one of them would be doing most of the talking/answering for the others? Certainly not easy for them either way.

Once again, asserting something repeatedly doesn't make it true.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭slay55

its up to him and his family to learn English , they will actually have to do some work / effort

can’t get handed everything

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

Some are just living on a completely different planet, those people are best ignored.

I'm truly beginning to wonder at the level of your English, if you're so dismissive of the nuances (in the language itself) involved within native classrooms. Google Translate is fairly decent for the main European languages, and fails badly for anything else. The speed of instruction is going to slow to a crawl, with teachers needing to focus on Ukrainians, while the Irish get bored and distracted. It'll be a nightmare for classroom management. There's a reason we tend to have similar levels of ability in a classroom... If people are lacking in the common language of instruction, they're going to hold everyone back, or simply be a waste of time for the Ukrainians involved (or both).

Also, you expect a teacher to stop a class, say mathematics, every time they need to translate a phrase or technical term? Seriously? Even speaking into google Translate brings back loads of errors, so it's not as smooth as you want to pretend it is. (I've used Google Translate in Russia, China, etc. and it gets loads wrong.)

I feel durty agreeing with you on this particular thread, but I agree.

I initially thought poor kids and then remembered kids at that age are sponges!

They'll pick up more English separated, potentially make new friends and find their place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭Hamachi

You’re clearly not bilingual if you think a language can be learned in weeks. There are four components to language learning; aural, oral, reading, and comprehension.

It takes years to achieve near native mastery, even amongst children primed for language learning. Those Ukrainian kids aren’t hearing much/any English at home. That will significantly elongate the process.

Have you ever tried having a class in a foreign language? I learned Chinese for three years, and then, tried to attend a number of classes held by colleagues to see how much I understood. haha.. very little. Why? Because so much of normal language in a school is technical and not learned in normal classes, and isn't a strong priority when self-study. The tones, and nuances are really difficult. English has similar problems with tones due to emotional inflections, and stresses on particular words.

And google translate, or any translation software is not effective enough to pick up on those nuances, or technical jargon. They're particularly bad with advanced grammar, which most school children have already acquired through their native language acquisition.

People here are far too dismissive of the problems involved with foreign language. It's one thing to buy bread in a shop, it's another thing to understand a class on the history of a country, or understand the technical aspects of mathematics, especially when having to deal with fractions or percentages. Really really hard... and translation software doesn't make up the difference.

Ever tried having a relationship with someone who doesn't speak your language well? A relationship that lasts longer than a few months? It rarely works out, unless one partner accelerates their language learning dramatically, and that requires serious investment of time and energy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

Heard there a closed down Lidl is being setup as a centre. Plan is 100 beds, unsure who owns the building but news will filter through. Someone is thinking all the time.

They should be starting intensive English classes, but they're going to be expensive, and it's doubtful how much they'd actually learn within a six month period. Most English classes (private) are very limited in scope, especially towards the beginner/lower intermediate side of things. It takes a lot of time to learn enough English to follow Native speakers talking naturally, which is compounded by the many accents in Ireland.

TBH I can't figure out why they didn't just assign a number of buildings across the country, for Ukrainian kids to go to classes run by Ukrainian teachers. After all, in most traditional type countries, women tend to far outnumber men in primary/secondary school positions, so there should be enough Ukrainian teachers among all the women who came here, and the non-teachers could step in if needed.

Being taught in your own language removes so many problems involved in learning any subject.

That would make sense Klaz. Seems like there’s little room for logic.

Frankly, I don’t understand why they simply don’t pursue the Ukrainian curriculum, to ensure that the displaced children keep pace with their contemporaries, ensuring parity when they return home after the time bound EU directive expires.

That would make sense Klaz. Seems like there’s little room for logic.

Probably because so few Irish people learn a language enough to be comfortable in it (within a native environment). They think English is piss easy, because that's all they've ever learned. Irish, for most people, was never used as a language except possibly for short summer stints, and never in a classroom environment, where Irish was recognised as the primary accepted language. I learned German in secondary school for two years, top of my class for exams, headed off to Germany for a year, and came back understanding that I knew nothing. Teaching TEFL abroad taught me just how much I didn't know in English, and while I've tried to improve that.. it's certainly not easy.

I think most Irish people have very limited awareness of just how difficult it is to learn a language, to the extent where they could sit in a classroom of secondary school students and follow what's going on.

But as with everything to do with this Ukraine situation, proper research and planning wasn't done. All the "answers" seem to be quick-fire responses, lacking in awareness of the negatives, consequences and costs involved.

Like, look back over the posts here. The true victims in Irish schools are going to be the Irish students who are going to be held back by their teachers inattention to their normal duties. That's after years with covid.. with all the associated problems. And now, Irish students will likely be slowed in some schools, whereas others get ahead? Where was the discussion over these kind of issues? I suspect there wasn't one.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Drog79

No ukraine curriculum or teaching in Ukraine because they aren't going home!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Nah would make more sense as if one is picking English up faster he can translate and explain in English too when needed. It usually a word that trips people up and makes the sentence less understandable. Say the word is cat they don't understand mate say cat in Ukrainian then there oh yes cat.

That’s what needs to be clarified in this entire scenario. It must be communicated unambiguously to our Ukrainian guests, that when the conflict has ceased, it’s time to start preparing to move home. It may take one or several years, but this is a temporary, time bound situation, not permanent resettlement.

I’m sure many posters have experienced the situation where a house guest outstays their welcome. If the invited guests fail to take the hint, the host usually has to spell it out. In this instance, we’re already seeing rumblings of discontent from the host. This will build to a crescendo if the limits of hospitality continue to be tested indefinitely.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭maneno

They aren’t going back, whoever thinks they will are in utopia

• Advertisement

There’s a limit to hospitality / tolerance. If the government don’t signal that intent (which they won’t), people on the ground will. This won’t be an Ireland-only phenomenon.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement