Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your thoughts on the fertiliser price s for 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭older by the day

Only getting a couple of pallets and might get a few quid back next year. It's mental dear. Can't see lads stocking up too much next spring with calf's and buying yearling beef cattle

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭degetme

2 merchants can't get 0 7 30. The other 1 can but tis 960 or 980 I think

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

18.6.12 up around 935/ 945 now I think, managed to get some at 885. Higher demand for anything with P as well I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Good loser

Page 3 of Journal this week says Protected Urea (some) may only have a 6 month shelf life - from date of manufacture.

I got two pallets delivered two weeks ago!! €1,050 pe rt.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,667 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Load of fertlizer in Ukraine and Russia waiting to be exported. WTF do you think the EU plants closed down. Why is the EU not panicking. I take my chances. I did not buy enough when it was cheap early last year ( had no storage space I am f@@ked if I buy it now.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,846 ✭✭✭straight

Not panicking here either. Was in P build up for the past 4 years and will be soil testing over the winter so it's hard to know what I will be allowed buy at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

Wouldn't be gauging anything off the EU/politicians. They have been living in Fantasyland and aren't aware of reality. The response to electricity and gas is proof, expect them to start realising the consequences for fert between may and July next year. Unlikely it will be any earlier and ultimately we can just hoover up grain from elsewhere outbidding poor countries so it still won't be as big a deal as the energy situation for them

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Fertiliser above €900 is a breaking point for me. I’m buying nothing now and if it stays above that, or rises even more, next Feb, then I’ll buy the minimum to get cattle out of the shed.

After that I’ll reduce numbers before I’ll hand over crazy money to grow grass.

I’ve debt to pay off but I’ll manage, especially when the profit is almost non-existent anyway with fertiliser at those prices.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Jonnyc135

Have bought 1 ton 18-5-12-S, and planning on getting 1 ton of 10-10-20 and storing it for next year, last 2 fields left for ground lime so that will help too. I think fertilizer prices will go higher come next year. If gas prices was around 100 euro and the fertilizer plants were stopping last year, I cant see things getting any better when Gas price is over double that at the min.

Ground lime the last 2 years has being massive for us, the clover growth after it is just something else. We are lucky here in the North West as a wash with grass as the Atlantic always brings mists and rain even through this dry spell.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Wouldn’t touch protected urea intended for use next year …inhibitor starts breaking down after 4 months …some say earlier

can’t see fertilise prices softening …most likely harden and supply I think will be an issue as well ….just look at the price of gas and it’s not winter yet …priority will be heating peoples homes and industry outside of fertiliser making

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,846 ✭✭✭straight

I'm sad to say I couldn't agree more with your post. Some circus over there.

Have you half your fertilizer bought for next year?

Well said, my good these so called leaders in the EU are just so far removed and oblivious to what's coming down the tracks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Was cutting timber here today for the winter and googled this, it would pay people to install stoves with back-burners for heating versus staying on gas etc given the current prices of wood versus gas/oil etc, then of course we have our government trying to ban solid fuelled burners from 2025 onwards its crazy stuff

Dead right, think of how De Valera when the land commission was set up everyone got their acre for food and plot of bog for turf that was then used as a fuel for heating and cooking. How self sufficient we used be, its backwards we are going, totally reliant on the state, and that's what they want us all eating out of their hands so when push comes to shove we will do what we are told.

Have a Stanley Superstar range here myself and about 3 years supply of turf in the shed, that will heat the whole house for half nothing as we save the turf on our own bog just pay for the cutting of it. I'd hate to have the fancy energy efficient Air to Water or Gas boiler now with the price of gas and electricity, this is only the start it will get a lot worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

Ah but sure it'll be grand, by 2025 you'll have retrofitted your house with the help of a government grant.

Now the grant will only cover some of it but sure you should have enough money growing on the magic money tree in the back garden to cover the balance - assuming you haven't had to chop it down in winter 2022 for timber to heat the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

Really starting to wonder do they want to collapse everything. They can hardly be that out of touch to see the damage that's been done and will be done with everything they're trying to impose on us

Theirs something really off, all the conspiracy theories re the WEF seem to be playing out, this winter is the acid test to actually see what hardships 1st world European citizens can actually hack, and what if any political fallout happens our will the general population be submissive like during the lockdowns

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

And they didn't build the house in the middle of the acre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,829 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

They are that out of touch. That's more frightening than intending to collapse things.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,228 ✭✭✭Grueller

Still don't think gas will be cheap enough to bring fert below last years prices.

Wouldn’t be so confident …Nordstream 1 to remain closed indefinitely as the Russians found a leak on there side 😉😉😉

• Registered Users Posts: 5,228 ✭✭✭Grueller

So €750ish for CAN maybe? I boughtvearly last spring at €685. Think it's around €900 currently?

It's 835 to 850 I was quoted recently

What leverage has he, Germany would gladly see Ukraine subjugated under Russian rule once they get their cheap gas back, but that’s fantasyland stuff given American backing to Ukraine isn’t waning, another 12 billion in military aid is been lined up as we speak

As you say its hard call them conspiracy theories when the WEF are actively lobbying and pushing these agendas.

The sad thing for all of farming is the carbon credits. I have done some serious research over the last year or so as I would like to be able to use them as offsets as well as auction any excess ones as we have alot of Peatland that is serious at storing carbon.

Anyone here that has time, look up the EU ETS website for carbon trading, look at who is actively buy credits nearly every second company is either an aviation company or amazon data services/Google data centres. There is a transaction tab that shows all companies in Ireland and the amount of credits/allocations they have claimed. I have not found the supplier of the credits yet but it looks like the EPA is the main supplier of them. These companies can buy and offset credits, construct major solar projects and yes you guessed it the company gets the carbon credits. If a farmer puts solar panels all over his shed the energy sector gets the credits, not the farmer. I am in the process of seeing if the farmer is set up as a company can credits then be claimed and offset, have not got the answer for this yet.

Also have not fully got the answer yet but I am nearly 80% sure that any forestry over the last 30 years that was planted using a government grant (most ones) these credits have been already claimed by the state and probally sold on the EU ETS carbon market to said companies above. As I said carbon credits and emmisions are ran by the EPA in Ireland and as I said above they seem to be the main suppliers of carbon credits to the market. So put 2 and 2 together and it looks like they are actively selling credits from the LULUCF (land use,land use change and forestry) farmers privately owned land out from under us, yet if I was to get set up on the EU ETS trading system I am not allowed to sell credits from the LULUCF sector as the state has them probably sold already.

If this turns out to be the case, it would be the greatest travesty for any farmer for the last 50 years. Carbon credits are 110 euro at the min (we're 20 euro 2 years ago), they a predicted to be 1000 euro a ton come 2030. That would be some extra income for farmers as well as actively show that the farming sector is actually carbon neutral or very close to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Have a feeling the more lads falling out of windows the more Putin is in trouble. This kherson battle could result in Russia soldiers eloping if it starts to go bad, if this happens russian control could crumble quickly. Biden has played a stormer in relation to the conflict compared to the French and Germans

• Advertisement

No, nor no turf is cut off it either its is left untouched big natural lake in the middle of it too so already wetted and full of spgnum moss the golden goose of carbon storage.

Advertisement