Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Abuse of Referees

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Shank Williams

Fairly sure one thing we can all know for sure is that the guy who did this is a simple ****

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭1373

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

You only have to listen to the chat in the background, No one seemed surprised by what had just happened.

Do you ref many games yourself?

Every club has someone likely to assault a referee? No they don't

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,431 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Im not trying justify sweet FA.

I'm just saying nothing official about what happened had come out yet. Nobody knows was it a smack or headbutt or what

• Registered Users Posts: 4,309 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

I've heard he manages many underage teams in the club.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,019 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Anyone that goes to a match at the weekend I would say listen to the "supporters" around you, if you are close to the coaches, listen to them, if you can have a look around to look at the body language of those involved. I went to a match last weekend with my 10 year old, I was shocked by the conduct of both the supporters and management, so much so that I won't be bringing my 10 year old again. The aggression was shocking, now people can blame lock down for years and not being able to get to matches but people have to be held accountable for their actions, because this was a local club game I knew a lot of the people involved, these are professionals with important jobs who would never carry on like this outside of a match situation but think it's acceptable to do it just because it's a match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,496 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I have said it many times, GAA is a scummy sport from top to bottom. I played it, I've supported my club and county, but people should call it as it is and the fact is that it is a scummy sport that rewards and encourages behaviours that would see you banned in most other sports.

We train and encourage players to go out and kick, punch, spit and drag their opponent down by any means necessary. We teach them that anything goes as long as you win. Get in their face, let them know you are there, insult their dead relatives, do what ever it takes.

Then we wonder why that attitude is replicated by the management and the supporters?

GAA will never be anything more than parish bogball until it starts to demand more from its members.

As for the scumbag in this instance, the GAA can shove any ban up their hole, if they don't publicly demand criminal prosecution then they should be ashamed of themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭HBC08

Which do you think would be more acceptable smack? Headbutt? Sonic boom?

Do you think there is any situation in which the ref wasnt assaulted and hospitalised?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,903 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Had a GAA ref park his tasty hothatch car outside my house every weekend for two years (we live beside a park with a multitude of pitches). Got talking to him about the car which was similar to ours, as the conversation went on he apologised for parking outside the house (not a problem, its free for all residential street parking). He explained he was fearful of damage to the car in the carpark!! I thought it was overkill. Clearly not. 😳

• Advertisement

Has the manager been arrested yet? Its not like they don't know who did it.

Or will the gaa try and deal with it internally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

I have been in lots of videos but not this time big man 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Sorolla

It looks to have been a heat of the moment exchange and I would imagine no malice was intended.

i can imagine the manager must be in an awful state this evening and we should maybe go easy on him.

i reckon an apology would be the best way to deal with this.

The last thing we need is a media circus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 409 ✭✭munsterfan2

Reffed an underage game many years ago, maybe u10's or 12's. Two lads at each other whole game. Warned them repeatedly as every time I tried to follow play there was something happening off the ball. After ignoring last warning told them both to leave pitch, one team coach told his lad to go sit away from bench and think about what he had done, other said "dont let that c*nt of a ref tell you how to play". Like all sports / life there are idiots everywhere and more needs to be done to keep them away from kids sports.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,664 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

So...

Before I type this, not trying to defend the perp here, or downplay the incident, this guy had no place on that pitch and certainly should not have confronted the ref in any manner.

I'm reliably informed by someone at the game that there was no head Butt, more a push to the chest that knocked the ref to the ground - seems he hit his head in the hard ground which knocked him out.

A dreadful incident, wrong in so many ways, but different than a headbutt at the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Quitelife

If he did that on the street , he wouldn’t get jail!!

If he head butted ten people on the street he wouldn’t get jail thanks to the judges we have and the free legal aid solicitors coming up with yarns for criminals!

No law and order on the streets so not surprised to see it on sports fields either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

If he'd died "I only pushed him your honour I didn't mean to kill him" no different to a headbutt imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,445 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭HBC08

It might come down to eye witness accounts as the crucial 3 seconds is missing from the footage.Could easily be circled wagons and swept under the carpet.

What I know is the guy strode out to confront the ref,the ref ended up on the ground,ambulance and hospital.

I wouldn't be an expert but there has to be some sort of assault there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,600 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Not condoning this at all and the culprit should get a very healthy ban and fine.

On refereeing itself there are many poor referees and chancers who are only in it for the €50 euro a game they get. Some doing 5/6 matches a week. Nice little taxfree income.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,892 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

No one likes the media circus, but this wasn't something small he left the ref out cold.

Putting the hand on the ref should be a life time ban, laying him out for a stretcher is a Court date.

This is it starting now - His clubmates all coming out with the 'ah sure jesus it was just a shove'

No different to a head butt, he went out of his way to assault a man.

Gbh at a minimum.

Lot of pussies who moan about refs as well. It's time for people to shut the duck up, get over it and get on with Life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Sorolla

This thread is a disgrace.

everything is speculation.

nobody knows what exactly happened -

there is speculation that the ref was pushed in the chest and fell back and then hit his head of the ground

there is speculation the ref got a head butt

there is speculation the ref fainted and the manager ran onto the pitch to help him

all the while there is speculation - nobody knows what happened

Why even bother with the second sentence in that post?

Ok. I don't think many will believe your post though.

Including yourself

Jaysus I love to know what club you were involved with. I have been involved with underage for years and I never heard anyone encourage a player to spit at a fellow player. If any coach/manager encourages anyone to spit at a player then they are a scumbag

Because the money has attracted lads who are very poor and it causes people to become agitated. Some of these people are a bit nutty and get very angry at poor decisions. I’ve seen it happen often and had to intervene on several occasions to prevent rows and assaults. No matter how bad a referee is he should not suffer violence but it happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭h2005

Any statement from the guards on it? Roscommon GAA should have just said they’ve referred it to the guards. It’s a criminal matter.

The guards will only act when they receive a complaint from the injured party.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭almostover

The GAA has been in disarray around player discipline with years. This kind of thing is prevalent in the ladies' games even: https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/arid-40924841.html

Not serious when it comes to discipline

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭almostover

Does it really matter, the referee hardly fell unconscious spontaneously and then required hospitalisation. The fact that he was approached by the mentor in a threatening manner moment's before this spontaneous knockout is merely coincidence?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,718 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Its accepted and has been reported by folks at the match that a headbutt happened. Id imagine a hefty cash payment will be made to the ref in order to not press chargers.

Psycho is the guys nick name.say no more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭h2005

Even if there’s actual footage of the assault?

You’re borderline victim blaming here

It’s up to the GAA and County Boards to remove referees if they aren’t up to scratch

Stop focusing on ‘weaker’ referees here

I’m speaking in general regarding referees and also on the facts of what I have witnessed myself. It’s my opinion that usually one goes with the other ie they are linked. And I am not victim blaming as I have said already. Also the GAA are constantly looking new referees and maybe they have identified the problem already.

They cannot act without a complaint unless they witnessed it themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,927 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

That's fair. But I am willing to bet that he really does have that nickname and that he didn't get it for his love of Alfred Hitchcock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,333 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Has that not been changed? Like, they can investigate if it's in the public interest and there is evidence.

Either way, it won't be a quick investigation. Everyone that was there would have to be identified and a statement requested. Phone footage will need to be requested and viewed. They will need an injured party statement from the ref, if he's willing to give one (I'd imagine he will in this case). Once enough evidence points to a suspect they would then either arrest him or he would give a voluntary caution statement (usually only if they're admitting, saves the process/paperwork). A file would then need to be prepared, sent to the local Inspector/Super who would decide then if it requires DPP advice. This won't be over quickly if there is an investigation.

The stories of the manager headbutting the ref unconscious seems to be the actual truth going by what I've read so far, but as pointed out it is still all hearsay at the moment. Yes, the crucial 3 seconds are missing, you me and the crows know what happened, but that doesn't mean it can be legally proven. People would be surprised by what can cause a case to fail, and it's getting harder and harder these days with more and more loopholes and bleeding hearts making it harder. It should be simpler, more straight forward, but it isn't. It's why I always say that you had to be a Garda to really understand what it's like, and the files/paperwork is near the top of the pile of the worst aspects of the job, and the reason most things take aaaaaaaaaaaaages. (FWIW, it took me 18 months to investigate threats simply because I had 10K text messages to read and use as evidence...)

On the topic at hand, I don't understand how all refs are not treated the same as the rugby ones. I couldn't do it. The ones I feel for the most (albeit they're also probably paid the most) are the ones in professional soccer. The way these millionaires talk and act to some of them... I'd plant them! And they fall over easy enough so wouldn't be hard I'd say. Beyond me why lads do it unpaid or for a few quid here. There'll be no refs, then no matches, and the people at fault will then be giving out because they've no matches to go to.

Although, used to be quite verbal when I attended matches when I was younger. It's only after I lost interest in sport that I realised how horrible I was being, specifically to the ref and based solely on my own understanding of what happened. But it seemed to be the done thing. Everyone in the crowd did it. It was funny to a child, all these adults getting angry and upset and using curse words! Of course we were going to copy them. The whole attitude needs to change, and I can't see that happening.

All Roscommon GAA refs have gone on strike for this weekend. All games postponed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

Heat of the moment ? He calmly walked onto the pitch !

you def have to be on a wind up . The one thing I agree with is we dont need a media circus but we do need this to be dealt with properly

If you think an apology is sufficient then you are delusional

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,552 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Honestly, every ref should go on strike until the GAA as an organisation take action on the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭cosatron

i hope the ref brings the full force of the law down on top of this manager and cleans him out. Imagine after a days work and go ref an u17 match and wake up in a hospital and take the rest of week off and concussion in some cases have long lasting effect on people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭thesultan

Could you tell me what had the mentor cause to get mad with?

Thanks for the details, very interesting, I had no idea it would be so complicated.

I'd agree with that. They need to hold strong as an entity and assert their position in the game. Country-wide withdrawal from all games. Demand respect and security at all levels. Pay increase. Time to draw a line in the sand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Quitelife

The soft on Crime Judges are allowing people be attacked on our streets with no repercussions so not really surprising officials at sports matchs get attacked as well.

If this guy was brought to court a free legal aid solicitor and judge will ensure nothing of any note happens him. The GAA will suspend him for a lengthy period but our courts will do nothing as usual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭celt262

Have you ever given a though to becoming a referee yourself ?

I wouldn't do it for any money.

• Advertisement
Advertisement