Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Animal cruelty is a sport in Ireland

• 11-08-2022 3:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭

www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/king-puck-removed-from-50ft-structure-due-to-intense-heat-1348743.html

The department of agriculture has no say in the matter of placing a wild animal up in a hot 50 ft metal cage in 30 degrees hot sun. Thats some vet they have on their committee who even allowed it to go up for 5 minutes. Department are afraid of saying anything about cruelty be it horses, greyhounds or even poor old Puck we are a heartless society with not a smigeon of empathy for wild life.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,027 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Yes, we really do have a long way to go in this Country. Not sure if you saw the Independent TD last weekend proudly seizing a photo opportunity with puppies being sold from a car boot?

When you have Dept. of Agriculture officials convicted themselves of allowing animals to suffer then you know there is something up with the system itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,535 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Yep.

I think there are a lot of people who just don't give a **** if an animal is suffering.

Some even go out of their way to make an animal suffer and suffer terribly.

They've been conditioned to think it's a sport, or it's macho, or that animals can't and don't suffer or that they don't matter. Or that they are a product to be exploited.

Also, the churches here never mention it. An animal has no soul and is nothing according to the church. If it had a soul then we wouldn't be the chosen ones. We'd be related to apes ...

Also, a lot of products and services depend on this conditioning.

But at the end of the day I don't know how an adult in 2022 Ireland could knowingly make an animal suffer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,569 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Don't forget the lockdown pets/Instagram accessories and how easily they were disposed of and forgotten about when the wfh crowd went back to the office. Rescues bursting at the seams.

A puck who by the way was taken down when it got too warm is the least worst here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Ah no , Saint francis... I know a lot of us good churvh hfolk who do excellent rescue work myself and we are taught from childhood to love the critters God made

Tried... Wrong re the churches... We do a huge amount for animal welfare and are taughteraly to care fo all God's creatures,, And look at Saint Francis...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,027 ✭✭✭✭anewme

The dead greyhounds found 2km from Newbridge track wont suit the narrative that Greyhound racing is now all above board.

he was not taken down without or before a huge public outcry. Taking a wild goat up there like that is in itself cruel . A disgracefully outdated event

Where's the public outcry over 'lockdown pets'? I'll tell you it isn't there because the public themselves are complicit and they don't like the mirror of their own impulsive behaviour held up to themselves.

Very easy to pick on a single event that had after all its own vet on site. Somehow the howling masses know more about animal welfare than a vet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,903 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

The "howling masses" said the temperatures were too high to cage a goat. Vet agreed, goat was removed.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Ive just emailed all my local Tds (Kildare) and asked them to bring this up in the dail and that I no longer want my tax money paying for a cruel industry such is the greyhound one.

Ill post their reply here if and when i get one - Everyone should be doing the same. Im sick of the animal cruelty thats going on in this country. We`re as bad as Spain with their bull fighting - Id even argue that we`re worse - at least theirs is out in the open. Ours is sneakily killing and burying poor defenseless dogs in a mass grave.

My bloods boiling.

Post edited by Hellrazer on

• Advertisement

A WILD GOAT captured and removed from the peace of its natural environment,, hoisted high aloft amid thousands of baying folk, loud musak etc... It took several hours to get it brought down. Up and down that poor critter went... A vet? lol... On the side of the organisers. In the nmae of ??Tradition!.. WIth the Healy Raes in charge...

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Still stihl waters 3

What's the story with the greyhounds in Newbridge

Again. Where is the revulsion on abandoned lockdown pets and the puppy farms that feed the trade?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,903 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

You can start a thread on it if you're that passionate about it. Give people advice on what to look out for when buying a dog, try and encourage rescue dogs instead of buying but to be honest (except for the breeders on here) you'll be preaching to the converted on the pets and Pet Care forum. The only other thing I can think of is asking the mods to put a sticky up on "signs to watch out for when getting a dog".

Fair play to you for raising the point, look forward to seeing the thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,592 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Ah good old whataboutery. There are plenty of threads if you care to look.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭hamburgham

I wonder is the goat really wild or is that a myth. Also that goat must be kept in the cage for weeks before the event so that he gets used to it and isn’t going mad trying to get out. There’s no way he only spends three days in it.

I’d also say ‘ independent’ vet is laughable. Who is the vet, where is he/ she from. No vet from Kerry would be independent, they know which side their beard is buttered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,165 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Ballinasloe animal cruelty fair is on the way too...

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭cezanne

Drugs are also used in order to calm the animal the same ones they use on horses ! A wild goat with huge antlers is a difficult animal to man handle also they are taking him away from his herd of females so hes fairly pissed off and will fight it. I am sure they dart him sedate him and keep the dose going for the 3 days and then he arrives back home like a young lad from his first festival dazed & confused having eaten magic mushrooms & a sh1t load of mind altering drugs ! :).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭hamburgham

Thanks.Yes,so would you say he’s really wild or they just say he is? I have my doubts.

Yes,no doubt drugged as well or at least another question the ‘independent’ vet should answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭cezanne

They make a big alpha male deal of going out to capture him. He is from the wild but the drugs make him more bidable they drug the shite out of him since there are very few alpha males in ireland anymore one or two rough bastards go out and corner him and terrify him. The whole process is archaic and there is no need for it. I wish the woke who are soo successful with LGBTQ +++ would do a bit more for animals they seem to have the attention of the world and it would help........

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Catherine Murphy - The only one to respond so far.

"Thanks for getting in touch. 

As you may know, the Social Democrats tabled a motion in the Dáil calling for a defunding of the Greyhound Racing Ireland. Our position remains that this body should not receive state funding. 

GRI are due to appear before the Public Accounts Committee in the Autumn and the matter you raise is something we will put to the representatives of GRI.

Kind regards,"

Given the family who are in charge there, nothing would surprise. I lived in their "kingdom" several years . And be sure that short of a miracle this brutal custom will go on a long time. Wondering what support I/we can give the protest group. Who saved that critter's life this year.

Advertisement