Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukrainian refugees in Ireland - Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭riddles

People tend to marry young in the Ukraine- divorce runs at 42% we are offering a ready made new life for people with the obvious welfare carrot. Our ability to fund all this free for all is fast coming to an end https://www.independent.ie/business/irish/rising-yields-at-ntma-bond-auction-reveal-changed-rate-environment-for-government-debt-41953842.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭EOQRTL

How are the government paying for this, cash or card?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I speak three languages and have bi lingual children .I at no stage said a child would be fluent in weeks but a 6-7 year old would defintely have some language and words and language if in school from March until June . I find it worrying for the child if he hasnt as few words and some sentences as the poster I replied to said he hadnt got a single word .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

This reminds me of a program I saw on the history channel about WW2 refugees.

They were interviewing them as they fled places like Poland in electric BMW SUVs and similar. The refugees spoke about how they were in contact on online groups and created a list of the highest quality countries to flee to.

While devastated about leaving home they were looking forward to safety in countries that would give them the equivalent of a months salary per week alongside free education,healthcare and housing.

Some wondered if they would ever go home

Oddly enough I actually did have a relationship with someone who didnt speak my lanaguage .! Long before Google we used dictionaries ! I know yeh !! I married him and had three kids ! But you took my post out of context I didnt actually say people should use google translate for a full blown discussion .,My reply was to a poster who said that the teacher couldnt even get across what time the kids should be picked up at . I wasnt saying she should teach through google but just to actually get a time of pick up across .A simple little type on google would sort that problem out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

WW2 refugees left Poland in electric BMWs and SUVs?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,010 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Have we stopped counting my posts? Cant post links

You can yes, just not clickable ones, so in your own good time.

Re local hotel rooms, there were none at the time in Clare or Limerick according to newspaper reports. Passengers were bussed back to Shannon at 5am next morning for flight to Boston. Again, can't post links. But keep counting, will get there!

But there is many other counties closer than Dublin?

Galway, Tipp, Offaly, Laois, etc all full?

Weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭thedart

The current government policy is keep borrowing and keep spending. With a projected 280,000 migrants by quarter 3 2023 we need all the money we can get.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,010 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

12 as luck would have it is also a number.

As well as not having a smart phone did the teacher not have any fingers?

The "stories" on this thread are brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It takes time and why didn't the teachers take out a watch or write the number down for example. There are plenty of hand gestures to signal this. Kids will adapt quickly and pick up the language far faster than their parents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Deiselurker

I can't see the government encouraging Ukrainians to leave even when the war ends whenever that will be. They don't enforce immigration rules now with a low number of deportations and amnesties for the undocumented. They should have capped the numbers and not paid full social welfare if they wanted to control the numbers coming here. They could have at least reduced the social welfare to cover some of the costs of accommodation and meals to those in hotels. You can't blame the Ukrainians for going to a country that is offering much more than others.

The government created treasure Ireland that’s for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

The Temporary Directive is initially for one year and then possibly two periods of 6 months automatically unless the EU council say otherwise. An extra and final year must be approved by the EU Council. We are already 6 months into Year 1. As some posters have observed, Ukrainians are already returning home, in fairly large numbers from Poland and we can probably expect many here to return home as well in due course.

Except the ones that have secured council houses here.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Moragle

Gamergurl from your posts I think you're in the same area as me. As far as I know it's one man who is causing problems in the old hotel and that's why the guards have been up, it's all drink related

You underestimate the ability of children to learn. Primary school children, especially, grasp the language pretty quickly. The problem tends to be in the written language.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,791 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

A load of them being housed in an old closed down pub b and b.

It is next to school gates of a school.

I thought my friend was joking when he told me since school started they have a bouncer outside the old pub everyday.

I took a look this morning and he was telling the truth.

Is he being paid to protect vulnerable Ukrainians from school kids or to protect kids from Ukrainians who have been known to be drinking on the streets?

One would be site banned if you were to tell the truth on that one. Let’s just say he is there to tell the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

They are arriving at the rate of 1000 a week, I doubt few if any will be going home. We need to build more camps like Gormanston which provides safe refuge instead of building 2000 modular homes at a ridiculous price of 300k each. Did this go to tender even?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭foxsake

the Ukrainian kid in my 12 year olds class has no English. he joined near the outset of them coming.

It may not help that he has another kid who speaks Ukrainian (from parents) so translates - so reduces the urgency of them learning english - and also the summer months probably meant 2 months speaking no English and all their own language.

I think some kids pick up languages easily not all - I struggled with them always have.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Gamergurll

Hopefully it gets sorted anyway before someone is hurt

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Subzero3

Wrong. Who in their right mind would return to Ukriane. A Ukriane that was known for corruption is now using all its resources and people to fight a war. The country will be broken for generations even if there was a ceasefire tomorrow.

Its fanciful to think Ukriane are somehow going to win a war and rebuild the country in 6 months.

Stop the delusion. They are not going back to Ukriane. Because as you and others are pointing out A, they have no home or B, they have a home but a bomb could go off anytime.

We really need to curtail the influx of them. Readdress their dole and the notion of building slums shouldn’t be considered.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Da Witch of Da West

I see very little point enrolling ukrainian kids in schools here, it's all done ar**ways, to be honest.

My child had a ukrainian kid in their class, who was allowed to use phone for translating, but all the girl done was looking at tiktoks and whatever else, no interest in learning, which was kind of understandable because she had zero English. Same was in local primary school. Kids were put in classes with zero english.

they would have been better off creating intensive english classes for them or putting them separately doing online schooling along with ukrainian school curriculum with supervision of course.

the way it is now, it is useless, also often causes disruption for the whole class, as obviously they can't put translator/helper attached to every ukrainian kid here.

But the main mystery to my is how schools magically popped out available places for all those ukrainians, yet i know plenty of Irish kids who got no places in their local school cause "no places available".

The same is now with those modular homes. The government got it all rather swiftly done, but when Irish families had no accommodation, nothing was done. Those who were put in B&B's definitively didn't get catered meals three times a day for them, and had to sort their kids schools themselves, sometimes going to the other side of towns because nearest school would not take them. And no, those people/family are not all waters/junkies, etc contrary to popular opinion. Rent market and property market in general has long gone mad, a lot of people find themselves in a very difficult position, but our Government was/is in no hurry to dig out extra money out of their stash to help out those people or at least to help out with school/creche places.

I see no reason why their parents can’t home school them anyway. The parents that aren’t working, it would get them into routine.

The sad relality is most of the politicians signing off these freebies and allowing unlimited Ukrianinans in are doing it for Political gain in the EU institutions.

They are already elected here, when they lose the next election they will want a new Job.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Da Witch of Da West

I think they are very shortsighted though in doing that, because there will be no point in EU institutions if they keep destroying things at the speed they are going. EU has been doing not particularly well for the past few years, there is a room for improvement. Ireland would be far better off focusing on our own problems, rather than entertaining unlimited amounts of ukrainians. We don't have unlimited resources! and those resources that we do have, we could well use for ourselves.

Oh, fun fact: the above said ukrainian kid from my child's class is away on holidays with mom and dad for two weeks. The kid also went back to ukraine with the mother during the summer to visit their grandparents.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭SuperS54

Given that Ukraine was blocking military age men from leaving does that mean that the majority arriving in Ireland are women, children and men outside military age? If so, does that also mean that when things eventually settled down there will be a massive influx of men under the joining family conventions?

• Advertisement

Yes, and there are many men here and many still coming. What the means is they are coming from other countries to get our generous benefits.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement