Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump discussion Thread IX (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,630 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

That could rebound severely on him with a "get your retaliation in first" resurrection of the pee-party allegations involving him. I doubt if intelligence agencies would turn up their noses at getting their mitts on recordings of such indiscretions. Salon Kitty type operations wouldn't be outside the bounds for some agencies.

Edit: my bad. I was referring to the North American politician, not the European-educated one.

Post edited by aloyisious on

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

There have long been rumours/innuendo about when exactly Macrons relationship with his wife actually began - She was his school teacher at one time when he was in his mid-teens.

However , there have never been any rumours about Macron relating to rape , sexual assault , sleeping with prostitutes or cheating on multiple wives.

So there is that I guess.

I wouldn't be surprised if the DGSE (and other services) have information on trump.

Whether they would release it or not is different matter, but a less friendly nation might if it was decided that the time was right.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,302 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

And in great news for Alaska Sarah Palin lost and of course in true Trump spirit she directly called it an election fraud because there is no way she could possibly lose.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Cool, every election a Rep loses to "fraud" lessens it's efficacy as a tool. - the GOP - the party that cried wolf.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

It's also a self defeating argument as was shown in the Georgia run-off elections 2 years ago.

The more they push this the more they suppress their own turn-out.

If you are constantly being told that your vote won't be counted and it's all a fraud , why would you bother to make the effort to vote?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,487 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Indeed. Trump moaned that most postal votes were for Biden after he spent so long convincing his base that postal voting was rigged.

What's weird is that they're doubling down on it. Here in the UK, the Tories are masters of elections. The GOP seem to be going the other way. Were it not for their gerrymandering and other devices, they'd have disappeared decades ago.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Maybe covered already, but in Trump's personal echo chamber social media app, he managed to openly admit that he not only had classified documents, but knew where they were located. This has not been lost on various lawyers weighing on across Twitter.

To whit:

There seems to be confusion as to the “picture” where documents were sloppily thrown on the floor and then released photographically for the world to see, as if that’s what the FBI found when they broke into my home. Wrong! They took them out of cartons and spread them around on the carpet, making it look like a big “find” for them. They dropped them, not me - Very deceiving…And remember, we could have NO representative, including lawyers, present during the Raid. They were told to wait outside.

Some mightn't believe it, but I have no quarrel with people's political views, left or right (as long as they don't infringe on others' own beliefs or sheer existence). I cannot though, in good conscience, respect anyone who looks at this thundering trustfund idiot and thinks "he's the Great White Hope for me!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 28,347 ✭✭✭✭looksee

That was close! I absent-mindedly clicked the link to Truth Social and fortunately it asked me to sign in, so I promptly left and didn't count as a number on his membership!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I never actually followed the link, ha; wow. So you can't even view a "truth" without logging in or signing up? Idiotic move; Twitter at least let's anyone read their tweets. So Truth Social is even more the chamber than I'd have presumed!

• Advertisement

US District Judge Leigh Martin May ruled today that Lindsey Graham must testify at the Georgia State grand jury hearing into whether Trump and his supporters violated Georgia law in their efforts to undo Trump’s 2020 election loss in Georgia. Lindsey appealed an earlier ruling by the judge to the US Court of Appeals for the 11th Circuit which put a stay on May's ruling, sending it back to Judge May for further consideration of Grahams argument that calls he made to Georgia Sec State Raffensperger were part of his legislative duties.

Judge May today limited certain questions that Graham could be asked about the Raffensperger calls to the extent they related to “investigatory fact-finding” in his role as a senator and his decision on whether to certify the election results. But the judge rejected Graham’s effort to quash the subpoena in its entirety and said he could be asked about allegations that he encouraged Raffensperger to discard votes. Off-limit topics might include Graham’s efforts to simply understand how Georgia ran its elections, May wrote, but the senator could be asked “precise, targeted questions regarding decidedly non-legislative activity.” 

Along with his alleged questions to Raffensperger on discarding ballots, he can also be asked about public comments at the time and any coordination with to Trump’s campaign separate from the calls, since that would be “political” and not “legislative” activity, the judge said. She also said Graham could be asked about any effort to “encourage” or “cajole” state election officials to change voting procedures going forward. The judge found that those areas of inquiry weren’t covered by the Constitution’s Speech or Debate Clause, which protects lawmakers from being forced to testify about their legislative activities.

The above Para's are from a Bloomberg News article published about an hour ago.

In what might be termed a breaking news story: in her court earlier today [after a 90 minute sitting] Judge Cannon did not issue a decision on whether or not she will appoint a special master as requested by Trump to review the documents seized from his home by the FBI last month, leading to a mix of speculation as to what this might mean for Trump and the DOJ.

One pundit has it as being good for the DOJ as the judge not seeing any urgency in the case, another speculating that the judge might be holding off publishing her decision so she could make a "big splash" to calm MAGA but could also put a pause on an announcement until she made a written ruling on Trump's application and the DOJ response.

Her decision to take the case submitted by Trump surprised me, leaving me thinking that she [as a Trump appointee] should have recused herself from the case. It's still possible that she might do something along those lines yet. I think the DOJ publishing certain details on the contents of the seized documents and the background used in the photo may have been a way of persuading people to a change of opinion about Trump's innocence in the matter.

You'd think that maybe, with the noose tightening, and focus on the January 6th rioters really crystallising into prosecutions and the extent to which this was a hillbilly coup, Trump would take a backseat approach to distance himself with careful silence. Nopppppe. Pardons are a comin' - if Trump gets elected in 2024.

“I mean full pardons with an apology to many,” he told Wendy Bell, a conservative radio host on Thursday. “I will be looking very, very strongly about pardons, full pardons.”

• Registered Users Posts: 40,412 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I will be looking very, very strongly about pardons

No-one expects him to be profound, or even literate, but this is barely English.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,584 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

And I bet those pardons are coming in the next two weeks once he becomes POTUS! He could have pardoned them before he left but didn't. He will have zero use for them after he gets elected.

Yet another lie thrown out that will be swallowed by his base. And yet another call to arms by effectively saying that he will pardon anybody that gets caught doing anything. You can bet he has made the same lie to any of those around him now concerning covering up for his stealing of classified documents.

That's the key message in this - By saying that he's thinking about pardoning the Jan 6th people, he is clearly sending a message to his base that "he's got their back" if they kick off again about his current issues.

The fact that that is a lie and that his chances of ever being in a position to make good on such an offer will be entirely lost on those likely to hear the dog whistle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,509 ✭✭✭amandstu

Any chance that statement could have any legal consequences?

He is not Pres and could it constitute an incitement to violence or just a debasing of the office of president?

Umm yeah, it's within the bounds of possibility that Trump, were he to run & be elected, could pardon any person convicted of federal offences committed ala the things Lindsey Graham mentioned would happen if he was arrested. It could be said that Trump was engaging in the buying of votes.

Trump says he declassified the documents, but that doesn't instantly make the information contained in them untrue or cease to exist, nor does it make them cease to be the property of the US government.

And now empty folders - surely this is the most worrying aspect of the whole story, where are the contents? At the same time, if documents were at some stage processed to be degrees of secret they must have been given some sort of reference number linked to some kind of a data-base or how would anyone ever find the document again? So how is it that the Archives don't know what documents or how many documents are missing? These are sheets of paper in folders, there must be gaps on shelves somewhere? And, are there no electronic copies of the papers? Can no-one do a cross-check to see what is missing?

Of course the records found in Trump's home might all be records of things personally relevant to him, that's all he usually considers important. Maybe he has been systematically shredding anything about himself that he doesn't like, and papering a room with all the good stuff. I wonder if all those photos are pictures of himself?

• Advertisement

Interesting to see CNN running a Fox News interview clip with former US AG Barr where he is agreeing with the DOJ view that former president Trump was in possession of Govt classified documents that Trump had no right to take from the White House and that [to quote Barr] Trump is jerking the DOJ around.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,509 ✭✭✭amandstu

What if it was ever shown that Trump or anyone else was ,by negligence or otherwise responsible for the death of an intelligence agent? (by allowing those documents to fall into hostile hands)

What punishment might apply?

Personally, I don't think his party has the courage to even leave him alone in a room with an item available to him under the 2nd after asking him to do the honourable thing. I don't see them having the courage to hold him to account for the fallout of his actions whatever that would be. He, with the OK from his party, flushed Truth, Justice and the American Way down the bowl along with whatever documents got in his way.

So Trump has said the elected head of state is an enemy of the state now, thinking that statement is the ideal response to Biden's statement about the GOP, MAGA and him.

I see Biden's statement as a call to voters in both parties to get their act together for the US without Trump's polarizing-effect, though I would have used more conciliatory wording.

Trump's statement I see as crude, even worse than when asked about the gallows erected on 06th Jan to show the desire some of his supporters had to murder Pence, that he did not say "that is out of order, take it down", that he equivocated about his supporters desire to murder his V/P. .

In his statement, Trump has put a question to L Graham & his GOP followers; are you prepared to follow suit on my words and take action against the elected head of state, the president? Trump got away with his words on 06th Jan and must not be allowed that privilege again for the sake of the US.

Getting to the stage where it looks like he is trying to get an additional investigation for incitement launched against him and claim that it is all part of the deep state witch hunt.

He doesn't care how many of them might end up arrested or killed because of his statements, he has such disdain for them he won't even let them use his bathrooms, but never underestimate how the similarly minded and simple minded who still support him might fall for it.

Only have to look at the radio silence or whataboutery on the lies trump has issued around the execution of the warrant resulting in the death and arrests of some of his supporters, to the hysterical posting about Biden's speach calling them out and some of the folders being empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,564 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

We've seen similar ambivalence from conservative supporters and voters in the UK who shrug their shoulders at the news of Johnson giving his security the slip while he was Home Secretary and went to a party in Italy at which he met with an ex KGB agent at a party held by an an influential media mogul with ties to Putin whose son was granted a seat in the House of Lords.

Imagine if Jeremey Corbyn had done similar before going on to become UK PM or Obama had done a fraction of what of what Trump has done how the media would react. I am 100% convinced that if the FBI had raided Obama properties and found Top Secret documents like has happened with Trump, he would very likely have been indicted already and would at the very least be sitting under house arrest.

Judge Cannon has decided to appoint a special master to review the documents seized by the FBI from Trumps home. Nothing is clear yet on what powers the master will have and will be allowed to do in respect to the documents after the review is complete. The DOJ is complying with the judges order and is stopping the investigation examination of the documents. The judge also passed the comment that the search of Trump's home cast a stigma on the former president. However true that might be, it seems evident now that Judge Cannon has leaned over backwards to be fair to Trump in respect to her treatment of him.

A special master to review the documents that have already been reviewed and sorted into Privileged and not?

What's the point???

• Registered Users Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

All it is is the judge covering herself in the eyes of Trump's MAGA cult. It serves absolutely no purpose, seeing as the DOJ has already reviewed the documents as you said.

• Advertisement

Could the judge simply be used to obfuscate enough in legalise to give Trump the wriggle room to continue playing the innocent card?

Advertisement