Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching electric/gas providers (see first post for links)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Do you mind me asking where can you see this fixed rate?

I can see some rates on https://www.energia.ie/plans-and-switching-info/ev

but nothing about a fixed rate for the contract. Is there somewhere that one can see the confirmed fixed rates?

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Happy_Harry

Can anyone confirm this is a fixed rate ? It would be the only provider in Ireland with a fixed rate as far as I know and they are not advertising it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Patsy167

I'm highly skeptical that any of the companies could provide a fixed rate in the current environment. They would be shooting themselves in the foot.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,624 ✭✭✭bren2001

It is confirmed here that it is a fixed rate.

I am just wondering if there is a way to sign up to this without a Day/Night meter. I'd happily pay the Day rate just for the security of knowing what I will pay for the next 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Sam the Sham

I've highlighted the relevant portion in red. This is what Energia sent to me when I signed up to the plan. Before we got to that point, I was told by the Energia rep that it was fixed unit rate for the duration of the plan and I made him verify it with someone else.

I don't believe there is a way. You have to have a day/night meter (not 24-hour, not smart). You also may have to have an EV charge point and an EV although they didn't ask for any proof. It may be that they have other ways of knowing...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Gooser14

I spoke to Energia sales today & part of their sales pitch was that the unit price is fixed for the duration of the contract. They confirmed this when I double checked their statement. They confirmed that at the moment they don't ask for proof of EV ownership.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Patsy167

Interesting, it just seems too good to be true. It's well flagged that wholesale rates are going to increase massively over the next 6 months so I'm struggling to see how Energia could absorb these without passing them along to the customer unless they massively adjust the standing charge to offset it.

If it is indeed a legitimate locked in fixed price, everyone in Ireland should sign up for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭4dxc

Went from Electric Ireland to SSE early August before the price hike (-33%). Quite annoying but will wait and see how the other providers catch-up to see if a move makes sense (and pay 50€ change fee).

However, what is really annoying and bad business practice from SSE is that after (!) they announced the massive price increase they now started a new tariff from September 1st with 35% discount. So basically saying we need to increase the prices but before we do that we reduce them... 🤮

Just because of that I am very tempted to move again... just after the cool-off period :(

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Sorry for the multi quote but ye all asked the same question. Firstly thanks to @KildareP for the information on the Energia Electric Vehicle plan which is a fixed rate for 12 months. Im just off the phone with them now and I confirmed this (even though it is not advertised on their site as a fixed rate). I said it to her twice and she said yes, the unit rates are fixed for 12 months.

For reference I do not have an electric vehicle or charger. I gave over my MPRN number which confirmed to them that I have a day & night meter, it didnt tell them if I have an EV charger or not. But you do need a day & night meter, this plan is not available to those on 24hr standard meters.

I was asked do I have an electric vehicle and said yes and that was it, she signed me up for 12 months at fixed rates. Here is the prices which include VAT and are a 25% discount from their standard rates. I will be on these prices for 12 month regardless of when Energia put up their prices which I suspect will be next week or shortly thereafter.

Standing charge- 295.40

Day unit 29.82, Night 0.892

So a pretty high day rate but given all the other increases around us it will look like good value soon and if there are more increases in January then those unit rates will likely be as good as it gets while others are paying 40+ cents for a day unit. Im looking down other operators day unit rates even with their discounts right now and Flogas are 33cents, Electric Iireland 31c, Airtricity 29c, Panda 42c. Bord Gais do have a 26c rate but their standing charge is 369 per year which is 73 euro more a year than Energia at 296.

The only caveat to this plan is if you use more than 3,000 day units or 2,000 night units in a 2 month billing cycle then the unit price is a fair bit higher , like close to 37 cents. But unless you were growing weed or running a crypto mining operation the average family would never hit those limits. And becasue I dont have an EV there is no way I could hit 2,000 night units in two months when my current usage is 150-180 night units per 2 months, it would be impossible to come anywhere near it.

Anyway after a lot of messing around with Airtricity and cancelling that contract I think this Energia EV Plan is as good as it gets with fixed rates for the next 12 months. If others are happy with the rates offered Id snap it up asap because there is a price increase on the way. Signing up to fixed rates now means you avoid that price increase and another price increase likely to come in January. By then all operators will be hovering around 40-45 cents a day unit. The fixed rates will look like a bargain soon enough IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Thanks for this info. Is this compatible with the Kamstrup smart meter (https://www.electricireland.ie/residential/help/meters/how-do-i-read-my-smart-meter-display) which seems to have readings for day and night?

Edit: called them and no luck. Ah well, stick with Bord gais.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭KildareP

No unfortunately (and bizarrely) not as that's a smart meter.

Need a day/night meter.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

it's crazy as there's readings on it for both. The place we just moved from still has a day/night meter :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭KildareP

Tell me about it! The only way to have the Energia plan is to get ESBN to remove the smart meter and put back in an Iskra digital meter. Makes absolutely no sense whatsoever that I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,092 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Bord Gais does it

from 2 October, the average residential electricity bill will rise by 34% or €48.25 per month and the average residential gas bill will jump by 39% or €43.80. https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2022/0902/1320249-bord-gais-price-hikes/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Very strange they obviously all feel the need to get out in front of whatever European governments plan to do in the next few weeks. That only leaves Energia to increase in October unless I have missed their announcement. Very strange for any company to change price on the second of the month. I was feeling foolishly confident that BG were going to wait until November 1st before looking for their pound of flesh. Guess we are at the point that energy companies will put prices up at any stage during the month with the minimum 30 days notice. I would expect the banks to do similar with interest rates once the ECB carries out it's anticipated rise next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Blinked_Missed It

So after leaving BG to go to Energia then cancelling the Energia transfer the day after I made it to go back to BG who have now said their is a delay in processing it and now announced prices rises wiping out their own offer WTH to do now. At this stage I think I'll just glue solar panels to the heads of every member of the family and tell them not to come home until they've collected their daily quota of kilowatts.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭TallGlass2

The wack a mole continues, on Bonkers I have gone from EI being cheapest, to BG being cheapest to SSE being cheapest!

Have SSE raised there prices ? I think they have already if thats correct.

SSE worth a move?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Thanks a million for this Muahahaha.

So the guaranteed rate is just for the electricity and you have to phone up and ask for it directly?

Anybody any tips on what to do with gas?

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭SnuggyBear

Your better off not looking at these until the day your going to change. Change and forget about it your going to get rode either way.

Yeah this fixed rate Energia have on their site (the Electric Car Plan) is electricity only, you would have to get your gas as a separate contract. I rang up to confirm with them with to be 100% certain that the plan is a fixed rate of day 0.2987 and night 0.0897c. I rang up specifically as the website lists the EV plan but I cant see anywhere it says it is fixed rate. However the phone call to Energia confirmed this (I purposely said it to her twice and she said yes it is fixed rate both times) so as far as Im concerned thats a verbal contract and if they turn around later and say they made a mistake well tough cookie becasue the telephone call is recorded and I can get it under GDPR. Thats the reason I did this on a phone call rather than sign up online (which you can do), I wanted evidence that it is fixed rate in case they turn around in a few weeks when they realise what looks like a big mistake to me.

Like others Im astonished that Energia are offering fixed rates in such a volitile energy market where we know there are more price increases on the way. And not just that the day rate at 29 cents is less than many other operators who have variable rates and are already charging 30-35 cents a day unit with that likely to hit 40+ cents in January. So for anyone out of contract right now Id advise to lock this in while it is going and I wont be surprised if Energia put up their rates at midday on Monday or Tuesday but at least Im insulated from that now, fixed means fixed.

And sorry I dont have any tips on gas as I only have a patio gas cylinder for the Ooni pizza oven, otherwise my home is 100% electricity. Someone else might be able to guide you on good deals if there are any though I would doubt it as gas customers seem to be getting hit way worse than electricity only ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Redlim

To add to @Muahahaha above - even if you're in a contract with another provider already it may still be worth paying the breakage fee of €50. Just did this myself as it'll work out €500 cheaper for me for the next 12 months (even factoring in the breakage fee) by moving from Electric Ireland based on their new higher rates kicking in soon.

@TallGlass2 SSE Airtricty announced a price increase of 35% on electricity and 39% on gas just last Friday. The increase itself takes effect on October 1st. Im not sure if the rates they quote on their website right now are taking into account this pending increase or if they are the 'old' price which will only be valid for another month before it goes up by 35% for the remaining 11 months of the contract. So tread carefully and if it is electricity only you are after and have a day night meter then look at my post on Energias EV Plan which they confirmed is a fixed rate for the entire 12 months.

Fair play to you as in many cases the 50 euro breakage fee is going to pay for itself in no time, especially if you are only in a contract that is just a few months old and are now getting hit with price increase. Its important people do the maths on their own usage but many will benefit by breaking an expensive contract and getting on the cheaper fixed rate Energia EV plan provided they have a day night meter (and tell Energia they have an electric car which they dont ask proof of)

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭TallGlass2

Would be dual fuel and 24hr meter I have, think I will just go with SSE, better in a plan than out it seems

Email from Energia on sign up to the EV Plan, this says 1 year fixed term too so it's locked in

Thank fcuk after all the messing over the last week. Feels good to have a price locked in for 12 months and not have to worry about price rises any more till this time next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

Why do the companies say 100% green electricity when it doesn't make a blind difference on the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭4dxc

Well done! The pricing is amazing and I would change immediately... but I have a smart meter. Even the excess rates are fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭SnuggyBear

• Registered Users Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭billbond4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Sam the Sham

Advertisement