Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukrainian refugees in Ireland - Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭Hamachi

You really are clueless. Have you ever lived in a non-English speaking country for a sustained period?

The country in which I worked, had significant numbers of third generation migrants i.e. the grandchildren of the original migrant wave, who still struggled with language proficiency. Language acquisition comes down to exposure and aptitude. Some people are inherently better at learning languages; others face a huge struggle. Children who mix primarily with those from the same cultural group and who are not exposed to lingua franca of the host nation at home, face very significant challenges across all four components of language acquisition.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

That was perfectly clear from your reply, and my own, and Maryanne's, but no, some are just interested in shouting down anything practical/positive if it's not advancing the "they're all a problem" narrative.

More bollocks.

1 in 4 adults are working, according to the CSO. Of the others, some are caring for babies/toddlers, or elderly relatives, and you can't f'n home school if you're not a trained teacher, don't have a curriculum, and don't have school books.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,010 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

• Advertisement

No reason, really?

Most reasonable people, particular parents and educators would know how important school is.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Liath Luachra

Many of the Ukrainian kids in my area are attending their own schools online, several have been told if they don't, they would be held back a year on their return. The teenagers here attend the Ukrainian schools early hours before Irish school starts. For those where classes are live, I presume some may homeschool via online school.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,717 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

With satellite tv and all that these days its possible for families to live in a cultural bubble hardly knowing what goes on around them locally, there are people living here for 20 years and more who couldn't put a sentence together, similarly I've met Irish people who've lived for years in another country who can barely order a beer in the local language, why? Because when you learn a language so many doors open straight away and life becomes less insular and better mentally, its why I allways shyed away from the Irish/English scene in foreign countries, Irish bars, gaa and the like... Necessity is the mother of invention and all that, get out there and learn the local language has always been my advice never mind the grammer mistakes at the start... be like a child....I'm Off topic I'll leave it at that

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Da Witch of Da West

I don't know where they got that "1 in 4 ukrainians are working" bit. Honestly. I do hope that is a true reflection of reality, but i have my doubts. In the surrounding areas nearby there are now several hundred ukrainians, including men of fighting/working age.

In the town nearest to me, out of 70-odd staying in the local accommodation, only one girl took up a job and left it after two months, apparently "she didn't like it". This is info from the local activist who runs around organizing trips and days out, gathers "only new clothes with tags" and all that stuff for the ukrainians, while they spent their days hanging around town, sitting in cafes and vaping in the local green area. The town held a tidy town initiative, only two ukrainians joined, the rest refused to participate, point blank. i know it is not a job as such, but surely it would be a curtsy gesture to help out a little when you are asked by people who held out their hand to help you.

Nah. You must be confusing them with some of our own.

Ukrainians have a great work ethic, simply not the sort to sit around vaping or whatever other nonsensical figment.

It's a trait amongst Eastern Europeans.

Actually the same bullshít was levelled at Polish when they started arriving 20 odd years, not new but boring and simply false.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭EOQRTL

FG's stated objective under Ireland's development plan roadmap is to increase the population of the country by a million by 2030. This war is a godsend for them. Anyone who thinks they will be encouraging the Ukrainians to go home when Russia eventually lose the war is deluded. They will if anything be encouraging them to bring more family members over in the coming years to settle and make a life here.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭thedart

The government will give them school books. It’s all yarns by you. Cloud cookoo land.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Da Witch of Da West

Hmm, during Covid though parents managed. not trained. school books, curriculum etc all available online. yes, not easy but doable. There ukrainian schools that have online classes going.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Subzero3

When you have free supports its not practical to give it up to just say "oh im hard working". The point of working is to provide for your family in the first instance. They are been provided for by us via the state, so they have no incentive to work.

Take away the Benefits and they will work. They will have to. Good luck paying for rent, food, electricity, gas or oil, childminders, petrol or travel costs, lunch, clothing for kids school books, medical expenses. They Ukrianinans don't have to pay for anything.

Im waiting on evidence on 1 in 4 working. That cso is incorrect. Don’t be disillusioned.

Nope. I'm well aware of how quickly children can learn under optimum conditions. However, these aren't the best conditions are they?

As for picking up spoken English quickly, that's rubbish. Sure, they could buy a loaf of bread or ask for directions to the toilet.. that's easily done. How do they learn enough English to explain their thoughts, critically examine a topic outlining their logic, or ask deeper questions (along with understanding the answers) for mathematics. As for written, native children will be held to a higher standard of quality than what is normally extended to those relatively new to the language. Are you really expecting Ukrainian children to meet the demands of Irish school standards?

Primary school children learn the language quickly because they're exposed to that language 24/7, and already have a lot of foundational English structures from the years previously, along with their own experimentations with the language. Ukrainian primary school children don't, and will be speaking Ukrainian with friends and family.

Not sure why there's a focus on primary school children, as there's a hefty chunk of Ukrainian children attending secondary schools across the country.

Let's bring it back to the simple reality. These children are joining normal classes for Irish students through the medium of English, where the common assumption is that those Native speakers have acquired a reasonable (for native speakers) grasp of the language. The subjects being taught are not designed with foreign students (who have extremely limited English) in mind. Those classes were designed with natives in mind or at least those with a comparable level of English as the native group. The majority of the students in the class will be native speakers, and a minority of students will be Ukrainians. As such, the teacher has a choice. Continue at the normal speed of teaching that is suitable for the native speakers (leaving most Ukrainians behind to struggle or drown), or slow down to include the Ukrainians (which causes problems for the Irish students).

The links to CSO have been provided several times on thread.

But again that is moot.

Evidence of your claim that only 48 are working, in your own good time.

👍️

Fair enough. For simple actions/activities, googleT would work, such as checking a timetable, or the more basic of expressions/communication.

That seems to be an Irish mindset. It's predominately where the bitter jealousy manifests itself, particularly on this thread. It's a minority though.

Again, it's an minority Irish mindset Not a Eastern European one and particularly not a Ukrainian one, you just need to look at the pace at how they are taking up jobs and job activation initiatives.

I imagine a few of our own work shy will be fairly sweating it at their next job activation meeting, 'but but but me knee' 😉 may not garner the same level sympathy as it did in the past.

I need other links, the cso is not accurate in your own time

👍

• Advertisement

Wil you stop with the deflection, this is not about Irish on welfare thread.

One or 2 might get a wage from a tech company and work from home. No Ukrainian is going to take a level entry job and risk losing the benefits. With the free stuff they are getting they would be down money ffs.

They wouldn't be able to afford rent never mind anything else.

You have been provided the links to the CSO.

Now it is your turn to prove your claim they are not accurate and there is only 48 in employment.

Again in your own good time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,892 ✭✭✭enricoh

Irish people said the polish were lazy when they came over 20 years ago? Absolute rubbish - quite the opposite in fact. You must be confusing them with the Roma who enrich us. Have u ever been to Ireland?!

Ahh no. Maryanne has, a number of times, on the thread made similar claims about easily acquiring English proficiency for Ukrainians. This is simply a continuance of the same downplaying of problems that comes from that poster.

As for the rest, sure.. some of that was related to simple tasks, but there was also the presumption that googleT could be used for all manner of circumstances to easily bypass the problems involved. Which is rubbish, as googleT is notorious for making mistakes, is clunky when considering the normal activities in a classroom, etc.

You keep wanting to make this about attacking Ukrainians. Look over my posts. What attacks have been made? Instead, we're pointing out the difficulties involved, and the negative consequences for Irish students.

Now... I get it. You don't like to consider the negatives, and want everything to be sunshine and daffodils. But it's not. And pointing out those difficulties is not an attack on Ukrainians, an expression of Xenophobia, or whatever. It's dealing with the realities involved in this situation.

Your maths is as good as the cso as there are more than 48000 in the country.

Are you working for the cso?

I have no idea what a "level entry job" but it is absolute fact 1000s are not been accommodated by the state and 1000s are working.

Nope same xenophobic lies and bullshít as towards Ukrainians.

Even on here, if the search function was working I'd link you up.

So no evidence for your claim? we will file that with the rest so.

Again, must start enforcing my own rule of not engaging with new members, it never amounts to anything.

The Polish worked and pay their way. If they were lazy they were lazy and paid rent, bought food, cars, clothing ect.

Polar opposite of the Ukrianinan situation infact.

• Advertisement

Probably a little less then what Ursula is paying you. Minimum wage.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement