Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Royal Canal Greenway

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,124 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

...like the greenway west of Maynooth (which incidentally only has access points every 14kms).

Ah for fecks sake. So you're telling us that the Waterways Ireland have closed the multitude of access points along the route that were there prior to today?

Or are you just posting nonsense?

This will be an "urban active travel route", which is fine, but let's be clear, it's at the expense of the wildlife. The 24/7 lighting, along the bridges and trackway east of Castleknock (eg Pelletstown), has driven the wildlife out. Now it is proposed to drive it further west, into Kildare. Utterly disgraceful. Forget the residents, these are the actual victims, all because cyclists don't want to cycle 1.5 kms between Coolmine and Castleknock.

This will definitley help many people beyind Castleknock made the decision to cycle towards the city and back because they aren't fighting for space on the road. This then means less car journeys so overall is better for the environment & thus wildlife.

Or would you rather that people drove more, simply so that this one wildlife area remains untouched?

I think this came up before when they talked about paving and lighting on the greenways vs dirt paths and no lighting.

I think the conclusion was there was no middle ground. At least not in urban areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,986 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Yeah the destruction of the wildlife habitat is my major objection to putting it on the north bank. They keep banging on about being sensitive to it but it's not possible if you're talking about a 4 metre tarmac path that's lit 24 hours a day.

It's a massive trade off.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,530 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

that's my main concern also; and apart from the loss of habitat, previous experience with other greenway construction has shown that contractors will happily cut down trees rather than working around them, even if they don't directly sit in the way.

• Advertisement

I'm not sure what the solution is to that.

Since we are talking about a substantial path, flyovers, walls, fences, lighting.

Its route into town I'd only do in good light back when it was quiet. Haven't attempted (in the dark) since it got so much more popular at Ashtown. Maybe Its better (feels less isolated) now.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Chrisam

Since FCC are planning to move off the canal and use Sheepmore Lane/Windmill apts, for the Coolmine to Porterstown section and use the existing towpath for the Porterstown to Clonsilla section, I would direct cyclists away from the canal, between Coolmine and Castleknock. Use Laurel Lodge cycle lanes (already there) to Castleknock train station, where they can rejoin the existing towpath to Ashtown. Walkers can continue to use the south bank tow path, along the contentious stretch, as they currently do. A win for biodiversity.

Re Greenway west of Maynooth: there are a total of 14 access points across the entire 130kms.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭getoutadodge

Are u the Kildare CC official I ran into? His line for doing nothing to advance the Greenway was "biodiversity". If all the locks were fixed and the canals dredged to enable barge traffic again the waterway would spring back to life as regards fish alone as the whole system reoxygenates with use. As it is its mostly a collection of stagnant anoxic pools. Then line the whole canal with suitable trees all the way to the Shannon and bobs your uncle.

Heres the Canal Du Midi....

https://youtu.be/o30nn-Bw6Sg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,530 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

unfortunately, IIRC all those mature trees you see on the canal du midi will be chopped down in the next couple of decades, as they're a species of plane tree which have been hit by a fungus, presumably brought into france on ammo crates in WWII.

edit: this report from 2015 does not suggest that all the trees will be removed, which is what the report i had read probably more than ten years ago had suggested:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/aug/17/more-plane-trees-felled-along-canal-du-midi-in-fight-against-killer-fungus

• Advertisement

Care to point them out for us because a quick cursory check on Google maps shows 14 by the time I get to the Hill of Down as I head W from Maynooth.

btw, i've heard a few comments that the greenway on the southern bank and the electrification of the rail line are not mutually compatible; if this is the case, what's the rationale? contruction phase concerns only, or operational?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Chrisam

Well, if you rely on Google, no wonder you don't actually know the answer. Waterways Ireland, who maintain the canal, has all the info on access points on their website.

you're not doing yourself any favours; waterways ireland clearly does not list all the access points, so is clearly not intended to be an exhaustive list?

ferran's lock, for example, is signposted at the lock itself for the royal canal way but not listed on the WI site.

Hang on. You stated a claim and now you expect me to research the WI website to validate your claim? Maybe you would like to point out exactly where so I don't need to spend the day trying to verify your assertion. However, what prompted me to look on Google maps is that I've cycled from Maynooth to Mullingar (and back) and was already aware that your claim was incorrect.

i was stubborn enough to check; here are the claimed 14 from the WI site. either Chrisam is not familiar with the canal/royal canal way, or does not understand the format in which WI is presenting the information. it's to provide a simplified summary of the various stretches along the canal.

https://www.waterwaysireland.org/greenways/royal-canal

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Irish Rail felt that any path (which would have to be on a canteliver deck) would require supports under the train line and they could jeopardise the rail line. Also, when they work on DART+ it might jeopardise the path's supports. Furthermore they would only allow south bank construction at night when no trains running.

You can read their wording in the report.

I just found that. Not sure what WI are basing their access point on but it's possibly referring to villages, etc. #2 is Kilcock but there are two access points between Maynooth & Kilcock (Jackson's Bridge & Lock 15). It was their arrogance that looking at the details on a map could be in any way productive is what irked me.

Maybe they should reflect on that, when they give up land in the docklands that could be used for future services.

I think a cantilevered deck is over engineered solution. If its too connect the greenway its doesn't have to be a boulevard. But I get why people want a boulevard and thus want it on the south bank.

I think he was expressing a view point than any considered research.

• Advertisement

What do you mean by "boulevard"? Is that a narrow path?

I favour the north bank option because it gives safe access to the school, Tesco and Blanch village.

well, it clearly wasn't considered research, i'd agree there.

"... boulevard is a type of broad avenue planted with rows of trees..."

Curious where you are coming from that your first choice of a route to any of those places is down the canal.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,901 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

There isn't enough space on the south bank for anything other than a cantilevered deck, that might collapse during Dart+ West work.

If you read the report you will see what a visual monstrosity the south bank option is.

Carpenterstown side of train station.

Coolmine Road is dangerous and I encounter most close passing drivers on that road. Even eliminating the stretch between the level crossing and junction with Delwood Road would make my trips a lot less stressful.

Delwood Road has a lot of drivers going well over the 30km/h (and a good few still going over 50km/h).

Well there is. You could easily put a path there. There already is one there.

You just can't put a super wide path there, or some monstrosity as they seem to want to.

You can just filter down through Glenville.

You'll have to cross Coolmine road at some point. Perhaps with new Coolmine bridge if they build that.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,901 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

There isn't space for both pedestrians and cyclists on that path. You can't even walk two abreast in parts.

Yes but thats only in parts. Not the entire length of it. You could easily put in some passing platform.

People want to make it a park/boulevard.

People and cycles couldn't even manage passing each other in the Phoenix park.

• Advertisement

Here ya go. Had a quick read and below is one gem floated to scupper the project. The Day of The Triffids meets Delwood😲

"Some submissions enquired as to what assessment has been performed on the invasive species (e.g. Japanese Knotweed, Giant Hogweed) along the canal and the potential impact of disturbing these species may have on surrounding homes."

More generally its an insight into the treacle pace of infrastruture development in Ireland generally and the systemic over run in cost and duration when a mere cycle path requires this detail. It's not the Appian Way.

https://www.fingal.ie/sites/default/files/2022-08/RCUG%20Public%20Consultation%20Report%20July%202022.pdf

Advertisement