Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Random Lego chatter!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

Ahhh the price increases have annoyed me to be fair. Especially sets that are already out and they jumped that high in some cases 50 euro. Its basically a decent set you could get for 50. Just they had record profits over covid period I think they should of left the sets already out no price increases there. I honestly think it will stop people buying as much lego, with cost of lego going up and everyday stuff it's like a double whammy. I know for 1 I will cut down a lot going forward over the 2 things I mentioned above and I am sure a lot more people will as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭Jacovs

Wouldve made sense to me if it was an across the board increase. Plastic moulding uses a lot, a lot a lot, of energy, and with the recent energy price increases it would make sense. Easier to implement on their own website for any new stock. But how do they manage it with their retailers? Would be a mix of new stock and old stock on the shelves, so bit of a nightmare to regulate. Can hardly let the shelves run dry. Im guessing they just ran the numbers and picked a few sets to increase both new and old stock, instead of say 5% increase across all sets, because that wouldve applied to new and old stock too.

Just luck of the draw now if you want a set thats went up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭omri

That’s even worse then. But I suppose if they were to go bankrupt if it wasn’t for these increases then all is forgiven.

I just think they would of had a lot of these sets that were raised in price already made so it will be an additional profit for them if price goes up 50 if they made it at the cheaper time. I just think if they made record levels of profit billions. They could of let the sets that were already out have no price increases as they will eventually retire but new sets then that's different as they will be released with whatever price there going to be sold at. I just think lego will take a hit in regards to this and the cost of living.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Coupon King

No fear of them going bankrupt when on the day of widely unpopular price increases 01.09.22 They also sent Ukraine another $13.6 million donation on top of the already $16.5 donation the Lego group gave them in March 2022, but they have to add another €50 onto the already released Home Alone ideas set because of umm inflation..

https://www.thebrickfan.com/lego-donates-additional-13-6-million-supporting-ukrainian-children-and-families/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

I think Lego view it as "well if you can afford to pay €200 for a set, you can probably afford €250". It's a bit ****. I'd understand if every set went up in price by a small amount but to whack €50 onto Ideas sets that they know are mostly bought by collectors/adult is a bit of a turn off to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

I find the general public in Ireland/UK still really unaware of current inflation and what's going to happen in 2023.

These increases are 100% justified. My company's cost of manufacture has increased by 70% in past 18 months with more to come from recent UK gas energy price surges.

For example the wholesale cost of power in Ireland 2 years ago was 50 pence per therm, it's now around around 500p. It's increased by a factor of 10.

People haven't felt it fully yet but they will this winter. Consumer prices increasing 10-20% are to be expected across every sector as well as much more significant increases in power and fuel.

Have they pulled out of russia? If yes then perhaps that was one of the reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

The main reason is simply the cost of raw materials for everything has sky rocketed over the past 18 months and keeps going up. Now energy in particular is just going up and up.

I fully understand I just thought if the sets are already made they could of left the price the way it was as probably made a few wks mths back, I know they will make more of them at the higher costs. Plus these might be retired in a year to 2 max so took the hit on those specific sets and I understand if newer sets come out pricier then that's different. I think lego could of taken the hit financially on the sets they increased. They could of had the August wave at higher price point on sets which I am sure are factored in in the price now and on the Jan sets have the price increase in them but not on sets that are out prior to this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

I never ordered anything direct from LEGO.

question

Before the LEGO store when you ordered from LEGO directly

1. Where did it come from and how long did it take?
    2. and with the LEGO store in Ireland now can you get next day delivery form stocks in ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭nialldinho

I ordered online on Monday this week and it was despatched from Belgium I think and was delivered with DPD on Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,999 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

2. No. Orders still come from their main warehouse.

So this is all the lego I got in August. I think it's the most I have bought in a single month. I will be curtailing my spend a good bit going forward with lack of room to keep things away and with price increases for lego but really price increases for every thing from food to electricity etc. I still have a few star wars sets I have to get not the extreme over 200 price sets that I need to get and the advent calendars which I might grab this mth on lego site once the next GWP arrives as I know the sets sell out fast enough online.

How do you buy the bricklink sets?

Just make sure you are registered on bricklink. My details are linked to Lego site so handy that as you get your lego points then. They have it looks like 2 times a year they have sets that were submitted by fans that they will release if they hit a certain threshold say 10k people say they will buy the set and confirm they will as your credit card details were submitted as you are registered on bricklink. So the set above went over the minimum threshold of people who were going to buy it so they would produce the set. I think it was December last year when I got to do it and confirm I would buy it. So was sent out end of July and paid for it then. That set did not sell out at the time. They done another release there a few wks back and I have another set I will purchase. I think most sets in the last wave hit 10k people targets within a few hrs so they sold out really quickly. When comes up again might be December or something for next wave in the summer 2023 I will throw it up here incase people interested.

And how do I link the BL to lego store account for the vip points?

If I remember right as lego own bricklink when you register on bricklink with the email address you will use on bricklink just use the same one tht you have registered for your lego account and I believe they are then linked then. My credit card was on it so its all linked If I remember rightly.

Post edited by RGARDINR on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭syboit

Some haul allright, hopefully you got a good few of these while easons where doing their sale. Did you get the Ambush on Ferrix set from the lego shop ?

Yeah I got 4 of the star wars sets, optimus prime set nd the 007 and fast and furious set on Easons 20% off. Some off adverts and argos as well. Yeah I grabbed that set in lego store and got the free truck GWP as it's not been sold in argos or smyths so only place to get it. I got the trash compactor set in argos for 76 was 90 in lego store. I would recommend people if there in lego store and buying a set just look up the price of thy set in argos/smyths at same time as can be on sale in them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,893 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I'm registered with VIP but didn't get a VIP card, should I have?

Also what's the number of the Atlas V rocket set, I can't find it on lego.com (there is an unreleased Ideas set though)

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭davetherave

Physical cards are (or were, I think I saw somewhere that they are doing away with them) only available in certain countries. Ireland isn't one of them. If you have made an account, then all you need to do with online orders is make sure you are logged in. If you are shopping instore you can give your email or vip number at the till. You can also get a digital card that is saved to your Google Wallet/Apple Wallet for scanning at the till by going onto the lego website on a mobile, go to the VIP Centre and then hit the "Get a digital VIP card"

Do you mean the Saturn 5 Set?

https://www.lego.com/en-ie/product/lego-nasa-apollo-saturn-v-92176

• Registered Users Posts: 34,893 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I have the Saturn V 😁 no, somebody mentioned Atlas

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

Sorry, just went back a page. That was me

"Space Shuttle Discovery - €180 and Atlas 5 Rocket €120 - Would love to get these to go with the Lunar Lander and the Space Station but it's just down to space and the size of them."

I don't know where I got Atlas from, maybe I just saw the A from Apollo and decided I didn't need to process the rest of the set name and that A = Atlas. No it is very much the Saturn V in my wishlist and not the non-existant Atlas V

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

Anyone been into the shop in the last week or so? Is it still the wristband situation?

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭stevexo

As a side note, I was at the Lego store in Singapore on Sunday. The pick a brick wall was a let down for me unfortunately. But I should hopefully get to Legoland Malaysia in 2 weeks 😄

If I buy something here and use my digital vip card, would my Irish account get my points? I know a friend of mine ordered something from the Spanish Lego.com region site to be delivered to someone over there and the points only exist when you change the region online to Spain.

I won't be buying much as I won't have much room in my luggage. Maybe the latest Christmas tree ornaments to say I got them in Malaysia.

That's very odd. I would have thought that a VIP account is a VIP account regardless of where you get the points from. I've gotten points from London and Dublin instore purchases, and from Ireland region online with no issues regarding use or balance.

They do say this in the Terms and Conditions, but one purchase shouldn't make a difference.

>Points may only be redeemed in the countries in which the Programme is available. You can find a list of those countries here as well as the Point value per participating country as updated from time to time by us. The Points value will be calculated using the Points value for that country. Please note that LEGO Group considers it a misuse of the Programme for a Member to seek to manipulate the Programme to the Member’s advantage by earning Points in one country and redeeming them, or shipping purchases made by redeeming them, to a different country. Occasional purchases such as this are permissible, but a pattern of such activity may result in termination of the Member’s VIP Account and deletion of their Points.

No the points you have earned in ireland wont be available in other stores. There are also different amounts of point for sets in some countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,493 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

If that's the case they've changed it. I've earned and redeemed points in the US and England. It was also well worth it at times, because they never applied a conversion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I've used my physical VIP card in the UK, Denmark and now here; as well as online for years. The points to currency ratio isn't identical as they can't keep changing it for Forex changes.

Advertisement