Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Moon landing hoax

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

uprising2 wrote: »
    Yea its funny how NASA recorded over the ORIGINAL tapes to save a few bob.

Look at the ladders from the "Live" feed, and the photo's, 2 totally different ladders.

368235main_Apollo_11_2_minute_montage_HDthumb.jpg
    http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/hd/apollo11.html
    tdd3.jpg

Rather than yet another herculean example of clutching at non existent straws, maybe look at the design of the ladder. Better yet try getting a picture from the other side of the ladder. You know the one on the side the video camera was on. Oh look. the same ladder.

AS12-46-6729.jpg

I mean lets get somewhat logical here. They fake the moon landings. They then make the mistake of having different ladders, too many lights, pack the rover on the wrong side, use the same backdrops, oh and yea cant find the money to dig a blast crater under the rocket. Then draw attention to all of the above with hi res colour stills with a "magic" camera?

The house of cards of evidence after all these pages is pretty shaky. One card, just one is debatable. The example of the moving flag above. That's your lot. Ranged against the overwhelming evidence that they did go, it's not looking very good, is it?

PS just to be clear. They recorded over the original feed shots on apollo 11. Clearly copies are still around and the original 100's of hours of video and 16mm film and 100's of hi res photos of the entire apollo mission are still around.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭uprising2

I'm not getting involved in this pissing competition again, I'm not getting bogged down in something that I don't believe happened 40 years ago, but nothing is proof, there is none, all the proof show's it to be a hoax as far as I'm concerned

They went into earth orbit a couple of hundred miles up, staged the rest, destroyed and tried to cover their obvious mistakes, to this day man has not left earth orbit, thats what I believe and I have no interest in trying to push this belief on anybody else or argueing why.

So I'll put an end to my time here saying I don't believe men went to the moon, you people do and thats that, over and out.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Vomit

The question of the moving flag is surely one of great academic significance. Why have NASA never explained it? Where are the experts backed up back independent experts? There seems to be nothing but silence surrounding it. Either silence, or simple dismissal, i.e. "Well they DID go to the moon so there must be SOME good reason the flag moved". They only discussion about this I can find elsewhere is about the WRONG flag and the wrong video.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭bytey

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    What do you mean no proof? Your joking right? Apart from the 380 kg`s of samples brought back which are 600,000,000 years older than anything on earth. No to mention the 3rd party (i.e not the NASA or the US goverment) 3rd Part Evidence some of which comes from the Soviets who were at the time involved in the space race. Not to mention laser rangefinders left by the various apollo flights. But the people who think its a hoax wouldnt be swayed even if they were given all the evidence in the world. That in itself says alot about people who belief it was faked.

all faked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Torakx

There was a gift given to one of the european states of some moon rock after the americans mission.I read recently that it turned out after testing it was a piece of petrified wood but very old.
    So either there were trees on the moon or nasa gave somebody fake moonrock for an unkown reason.Or it was moonrock and the article i read was false.Only way to know is go to college steal a sample of this fabled monnrock and test it yourself.No evidence is ever enough either way if the will is there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Vomit

Can't they get moon rock without actually sending humans there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,522 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Right! Its seems that ignoring scientific proof and embracing paranoia is a much better way of thinking. Well good luck with that! As a physicist I find some of the peoples thinking in here offensive/comical.

Now I in no way shape or form believe it was faked but, as a physicist, would you have any theories on flag incident?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Vomit wrote: »

If you can do that, why not just send a human. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭uprising2

humanji wrote: »
    If you can do that, why not just send a human. :)

Same reason you don't put your cat in the microwave when its cold...:)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I'm not getting involved in this pissing competition again, I'm not getting bogged down in something that I don't believe happened 40 years ago, but nothing is proof, there is none, all the proof show's it to be a hoax as far as I'm concerned
    And that's your opinion and fair enough. I would simply say that every single proof you and the hoax side put forward is explainable. Every single proof you claim has been explained by the other side, but you chose to ignore it.

The ladder "proof" a perfect example. The hoaxers say "look its a different ladder". When shown a photo from the correct side its obvious its the same design ladder. Does this prove they went to the moon? Nope, but it does show the hoaxer side's "evidence" to be tenuous and it shows clutching at ever smaller straws.

The reaction is really whats different. "you're wrong/pissing contest/I'll ignore that/I believe its a hoax no matter what". That's why I have little or no respect for the hoax side. No matter what evidence they are shown, even if space aliens brought them up there and went "look, there's the landing sites", they would claim it was faked.
    The question of the moving flag is surely one of great academic significance. Why have NASA never explained it? Where are the experts backed up back independent experts? There seems to be nothing but silence surrounding it. Either silence, or simple dismissal, i.e. "Well they DID go to the moon so there must be SOME good reason the flag moved". They only discussion about this I can find elsewhere is about the WRONG flag and the wrong video.
    Oh I agree that flag movement is interesting. In the full sequence another astronaut walks right by it and it doesnt shift at all, so displacement of air can't be the answer.
    Torakx wrote: »
    There was a gift given to one of the european states of some moon rock after the americans mission.I read recently that it turned out after testing it was a piece of petrified wood but very old.
    So either there were trees on the moon or nasa gave somebody fake moonrock for an unkown reason.Or it was moonrock and the article i read was false.Only way to know is go to college steal a sample of this fabled monnrock and test it yourself.No evidence is ever enough either way if the will is there :)
    Yea but we've been down this road. The sample in question was given privately to the prime minister. It was in private hands for over 30 years. When NASA were asked to authenticate the sample, they did so. Over the phone. They confirmed that a moon rock had been presented 30 years previously. They never examined it and confirmed it that way. Given how valuable a moon sample is its far more likely it was nicked or even lost/mislabeled. Plus since they have moon rock samples from whatever source you believe, it makes no sense to hand out a fake one in the first place. It makes even less sense to hand out petrified wood. Hand out some terrestrial basalt and on first look it could pass to an untrained eye.
    Yes they can, but its not easy, even now. The mars return mission is looking to bring back grams, not many kilograms. Back then with the state of robotics, it would have been so much harder to bring back the quantities they have. It would have been "easier" to send humans to do it. Pretty much still would be.

Now the hoaxers say they collected them as meteorites in antarctica. Massively unlkely. Such meteorites were only recognised as moon rocks in the late 70's. They're very very rare. They're also worth a fortune and many have and are looking for them. Yet since the late 70's very few have been found. Worldwide. But we're supposed to believe that NASA found a couple of 100 kilos of them in one month in 1966?
    noodler wrote: »
    Now I in no way shape or form believe it was faked but, as a physicist, would you have any theories on flag incident?
    I reckon anyway that he bumped it or there was a static charge going on.
    But the people who think its a hoax wouldnt be swayed even if they were given all the evidence in the world. That in itself says alot about people who belief it was faked.
    Pretty much hits the nail on the head.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

You don't? Oh dear... Tinkles will not be happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Little D

totally off subject but years back one particularly hard winter my cousins rabbit died and my uncle who was convinced the cold had caused its death so he got a hair dryer and began to blow it all over the lifeless body of the rabbit on the kitchen table, needless to say the rabbit did not come back to life, my uncle is now in the army, sleep easy we're in good hands he will keep the country safe ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,522 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Little D wrote: »
    totally off subject but years back one particularly hard winter my cousins rabbit died and my uncle who was convinced the cold had caused its death so he got a hair dryer and began to blow it all over the lifeless body of the rabbit on the kitchen table, needless to say the rabbit did not come back to life, my uncle is now in the army, sleep easy we're in good hands he will keep the country safe ;)

That is very creepy.

I haven't read all of this and i don't know if it was faked or not. but i saw a video yesterday where it was said they now claim they went by the poles -north or south,i can't recall- to avoid the van allen belts.I had not heard this before . critics said they did not have time or fuel and that it cannot be verified because the telemetry is destroyed. it said loads of moon tapes are destroyed.They claimed nasa are destroying as much as possible because of new techniques of investigation may expose them

i must admit I wondered why they would destroy historical tapes. or maybe they are 'missing' but not lost i cannot remember

It also showed footage from someone who filmed lift off in one continouus shot and the spacecraft was not moving as fast as it should. i think they were able to know by how high it should be ? they claimed there were no astronauts on board and no equipment and they did this in order to use different engines, not the usual saturn 5 engines

this is the video in case anyone is interested.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8XgEOtC7MQ there are 7 or 8 parts. i am not pushing it or saying it's true.

you can get some on earth, Antartica is a good place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,232 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

This is a 12 year old thread.

I strongly suggest you watch a factual video on the launch not one riddled with all sorts of "claims" from a creator who does nothing but create "moon hoax" videos that never explain the hoax.

you don't tell me what to watch. if you cannot answer my question stay out of it

It's just a suggestion.

As for your points, the astronauts went through the thinnest part of the Van Allen belts to minimise radiation exposure. NASA lost some tapes. Nothing odd about the launch, and nothing to suggest the astronauts weren't on board that flight, nor the 5 subsequent flights that went to the moon.

Does the video explain what the hoax is, or does it just spend all its time trying to get it's audience to doubt the event?

it does have attempts to make explanations of the hoax but i am not summarising 4 hours. i do not say i believe them anyway

. i was asking cos i had not heard before they went by the poles to avoid the van allen belts and the telemetry which would confirm or disprove this is lost

and i had not heard before the astroauts were not on board. they say the astronauts were flown to an island off hawaii and when it was time for splashdown they were taken on a plane and dropped from it into the ocean

They also say Kubrick may have been involved and refer to the Kubrick Horizontal in the photos

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭bad2thebone

I also heard Morocco is good for meteorites too and Libya, but not lunar rocks.

Antarctica is on the southern pole, I wonder why would they be more common there than anywhere else.

Can't remember. it said when the ice melts is the best time to find them. von Braun went with a team to collect some at one point.. the film claimed they are the moon rocks supposedly brought back from the the moon. it said the marks of burning as it came through the atmosphere are removed, can't recall how, then the a laser is used to make it look ike it was actually from the moon

I watched this film because i was looking at Nexus in a bookshop and it had an ad for his book.

The claim that astronauts weren't on board is made up. Likewise the claim that Kubrick was involved.

The hoax is usually along the lines of: "it was shot in a studio", but no one has ever provided credible evidence of it. Most of these videos work by bamboozling viewers with disinfo and debunked claims and if someone doesn't know much about the landings they can fall for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,407 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

It is not possible to use meteorites to fake moon rocks.

Hand waving "they used a laser" is nonsense.

The flights did not "go by the poles" as this is also nonsense.

What do you mean by this? How exactly did they go by the poles and what does this have to do with proving a hoax?

It is not possible to use meteorites to fake moon rocks.

how do you know? what qualifications have you to say that?

The flights did not "go by the poles" as this is also nonsense.What do you mean by this? How exactly did they go by the poles and what does this have to do with proving a hoax?

if you don't know what it means how do you know its nonsense?.it's NASA that say they went by the poles

It's impossible to use meteorites to fake moon rocks. If you believe otherwise, please point out some examples. Or please explain how you believe this was accomplished.

And ok. If you believe Nasa said this, point out where. Or please explain what you believe it means exactly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

who are you to demand all the explanations.? if you want it watch the film do your own research. i have seen you on many threads here. you seem to think you know everything and are some sort of authority over what people believe. you have a deep need for conspiracys not to be true

you show this when you jump in with

The flights did not "go by the poles" as this is also nonsense.What do you mean by this? How exactly did they go by the poles and what does this have to do with proving a hoax?

you don't know what it means but still say its nonsense?.

you didn't answer what are your qualifications to say "It's impossible to use meteorites to fake moon rocks."

yes what the film says is they would n't have enough fuel. they claim it is NASA spiel to explain the belts and that the telemetry that could confirm it is issing.

Okay and how does this internet video support this claim?

It's important to question everything, including the claims into the video.

Also there's a space forum on this site, posters there have good knowledge about this stuff if you want to know more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

If the apollo programme was a hoax, why hoax apollo 13?

If it never happened why are there hours of audio tapes capturing the whole mission, why make these up? With such scientific and engineering detail.

The reason why we didnt go back is because of money, getting to the moon in the 60s had unlimited funding.

Are Katherine Johnson and Maragaret Hamilton just paid actors?

Why bother with all the Gemini missions?

Is the Earth flat?

Ughhhhhh

• Advertisement

Ok. Questions dodged. You cannot provide any explanations for these things.

You cannot show that the missions "went by the poles" because they didn't and the term makes no sense.

You aren't able to explain what you mean because it makes no sense.

I don't have any qualifications to say that it's impossible. I don't require any to do so. Why would I need qualifications?

It's not possible to use meteorites to fake moon rocks. You cannot explain how it is possible.

And It's always funny to see people demand that anyone who questions them to do their own research.

I have done my research. I know a lot about the moon landings and the conspiracy claims about them. That's why I know the conspiracy theories are all false and all a bit silly.

People who believe the conspiracy theories generally do not know the extent of space missions and of NASA's research. They have not idea about how much footage and data and material is out there documenting the whole thing.

It's not all that rare for them to not even know there were multiple moon landings.

A lot of the people who claim there is a conspiracy do so because they believe that the world is indeed flat. Or they are getting their arguments from people who make those or similar claims.

I don't have any qualifications to say that it's impossible. I don't require any to do so. Why would I need qualifications?It's not possible to use meteorites to fake moon rocks. You cannot explain how it is possible.

you cannot explain how it is impossible. you have no qualifications to be able to have an opinion and i w ill not be replying to you again. you seem to think you have some right to bullypeople to produce evidence while admitting you have no evidence and say questions dodged if someone doen't play. i have seen your use of this on other threads. you are either a troll or a shill,do your own research

Lol. I didn't say that I couldn't explain how it's impossible. I can.

I didn't say that I couldn't produce any evidence that it's impossible. I can.

I don't need any qualifications to do so. It's a weird thing for you to demand.

You are now running away rather than just answer simple questions about your theory.

I have seen this on other threads from many other conspiracy theorists also.

Also, lol, I'm a shill again? Pray tell, who am I a shill for? Why would I be paid disagree with people who claim the moon landings were faked?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,915 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

One thing both the flat earthers and the moon landing hoaxers have in common is that they can never actually explain WHY they believe these things. They can never explain who actually benefits from these theories

The usual refrain is that America benefited cause they needed to beat the Russians, but it was impossible for them to actually go to the moon. (Why it's impossible is never really explained in any detail. And despite it now being a requirement apparently no conspiracy theorists ever explain how they're qualified to make such a statement.)

The claim for Flat earthers is that the world is secretly controlled by satanists or some such and those people are trying to trick people into not believing the bible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Cheerful S

There's no convincing conspiracy behind moon landings. What's the point of repeating the same hoax?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,691 ✭✭✭storker

Capricorn One has a lot to answer for...

Neither side can provide any proof of theirclaims

NASA controlled the feed so could have faked it and can't prove they didn't. The fake believers cannot prove anything either . It's just a matter of belief.

I have seen claims the Russian s did a bit of fakery too

I find it amusing that that several moon fake believers have phds while many people who contradict them are uneducated spoofers and only 'know' what NASA told them.

Whether they went to the moon or not the recent orion spectacle was pathetic.

It's a reasonable question how come they can't even take off now when they went in 69 with the computing power of a calculator

One thing is for sure.they will have no problem faking mars if they are fakers

With the cameras and software available now I could fake a trip to mars myself

• Advertisement

No, the people who don't believe the conspiracy can provide proof and evidence to back up their beliefs. It's not a matter of faith.

It's not reasonable to believe that there was a giant impossible conspiracy in the 60s because of launch delays now. That's a bizarre and silly argument to make.

Which moon hoax believers are your referring to and what are their doctorates in?

What i posted is my opinion i am not ge6 into an argument about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,691 ✭✭✭storker

Yes they can. This isn't a case of one person claiming there are fairies at the bottom of the garden and one person claiming there aren't and saying neither side can prove it either way. In this case there are photos of the fairies, film footage of the fairies flittering around in fairyland (with audio), footage of the fairies taking flight and landing (with audio), interviews with the fairies, interviews with the fairy support experts, the science behind fairyness has been clearly explained and is understood and not disputed, and even the jealous next-door neighbour that wanted their own fairies to be spotted first has acknowledged that the original claimant's fairies are genuine.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,357 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

The evergreen question for me - if NASA had faked it, why did the Russians stay quiet about it? You can be damn sure they bounced lasers off the mirrors on the moon, or would have know whether or not a capsule spent several days getting to and from the moon.

The "both sides" argument. First of all, there isn't another side to this, no one has ever presented any coherent alternative.

Secondly, we know exactly what happened, minute-by-minute, almost second-by-second.

Whether they went to the moon or not the recent orion spectacle was pathetic.

? They were hampered by weather, and they have had technical issues. It's a new rocket system. SpaceX has had plenty of technical issues and launch issues with their new rockets. There's nothing "pathetic" about it, it's highly complex and nothing is guaranteed.

It's a reasonable question how come they can't even take off now when they went in 69 with the computing power of a calculator

One which has been addressed countless times. It didn't actually require that much computing power, the math isn't that complex, it's more about radar and guidance, they even broke out the slide rule in one mission. The Soviets landed a rover on the moon a year later. The yanks went to the moon five more times.

Paging @Wibbs again. They're back.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,357 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

hello and welcome to an internet discussion forum.

Cool. You're not able to actually defend your opinion then.

#rollsupsleeves.. 😁

With the cameras and software available now I could fake a trip to mars myself

Maybe, but it would be a very tall order to do so. Meanwhile back in the 60's and early 70's with the camera technology in film and especially video and no software to speak off at all, you really couldn't.

In the early 70's I could book a flight on a supersonic aircraft, but I can't do that now. We have incredible machines to build all sorts of structures, yet nobody is building pyramids anymore(maybe in Vegas...). Greek fire was a weapon of the Byzantines and we have no real clue how to make it today. And computing power is all about what you do with it and if it meets what you need. In the early 40's the Germans were building and flying sub orbital liquid fuelled rockets, while in the death rattles of a war they were losing, using analogue tech. The transister hadn't even been invented yet, never mind the integrated circuit, while the two computers in the world at the time filled the space of a semi dee and had about one kilobyte of memory.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,809 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Even if you had software there's weren't any fast computers back then to run it on.

Fastest supercomputer in 1969 was Seymour Cray's $5 million (base price, $9m-$15m was typical) CDC 7600. It ran at 36.4 MHz and could do 15 million instructions per second. It used 95KW of electricity. It was 50 times faster that anything IBM had in 1963 so it's not like NASA could have sourced alternatives.

The A15 processor in the iphone 13 can do a million times more calculations per second. To get that level of performance in 1969 you'd need a million CDC 7600's which would use 95GW of electricity and cost $5 trillion - $15 trillion. GDP back then was only $1.1099 trillion and you'd need the output ALL of the US nuclear power stations most of which weren't even built back then. Also they were hand built so you couldn't ramp up production.

And the reality is that CGI for movies today uses web farms to do the rendering, not a single phone, and it still looks fake.

Advertisement