Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pushback against Leftism

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,366 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

My point is that I've never encountered anyeone who used the term "cis" with force or when having been requested not to, hence my question. YOU are the one playing with words in order to invent a situation in order to create the double standards.

Now - again - has it ever happene that you been forced to endure the "use of unwanted phrase/classification, especially when you've told that person that they don't like it being used" with regard to the use of the word "cis"; or is the situation hypothetical?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,972 ✭✭✭Shoog

..... And the Oscar for best performative outrage goes to ....

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭TagoMago

I think some on the right have realised they are facing a losing battle, so have changed their focus almost entirely to trans issues as a means of garnering support, even though it's not really something that effects the vast majority of peoples lives on a day to day basis.

With the amount of airtime trans issues get in conservative media, you would think that women's sport are being completely dominated by trans women, and that trans activist medics were going school to school looking for children to perform gender affirming surgery on.

It's mostly blown way out of proportion of course, but has been a pretty effective means of getting attention for what is essentially the last fart of a dying corpse.

Every major social change of the recent period of time (gay marriage, abortion, softening drug laws, expanding the welfare state) have all come from the left and this will continue to be the case. Unless we go down the same route as the US and try to implement a full blown theocracy then I can't see any change to this.

Agreed - if the "pushback againsy leftism" can be summed up to be a refusal to accept pronoun useage, I think we can leave this here.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

• Advertisement

My point is that I've never encountered anyeone who used the term "cis" with force or when having been requested not to, hence my question. YOU are the one playing with words in order to invent a situation in order to create the double standards.

You've been on plenty of threads regarding Trans issues, so to claim that you haven't seen this happen... yeah.. I'm calling BS.

And yes, I have been on the receiving end of being called "cis", and being ignored when asking those posters not to direct that phrase my direction.

However, I don't think you're going to be honest on the topic, so I'll leave this here. I've given you a number of opportunities to do so, and you've skipped around them each time.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,738 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

The right and left are and always have been two cheeks of the same arse and both of them see themselves as being beyond reproach and the other as obvious pariahs.

The majority of people want nothing to do with this outdated left/right nonsense, and the last decade has seen it escalate to unparalleled levels of dogmatic BS from either side.

The mindset of this so called culture war is astonishing, "if you don't agree with X then you must also be Y". If this crap disappeared tomorrow nobody would miss it.

Glazers Out!

To be fair, I'm more talking in real life. I'd hardly feel like I'm oppressed by someone who mislabels me on the internet. When you experience harassment in real life, then I'll accept that you're a victim. Any threads I've been on have explained the term but I've never seen anyone use it "forcefully".

All I did was ask a question which you refused to answer until now, so yeah -you're the victim and I'm the dishonest one, right?

Leaveing this here as per your request.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

Yup it's all just noise.. designed to keep people fighting amongst themselves.

The question is really.. who gains from this..? Start looking at that and a lot of people apparently on opposite sides would soon be united.

Meanwhile, what happens.. more hate is spread and people genuinely impacted have an even shittier time of it..

(I) Just see it as a substitute for "non trans".

People argue that biological works too but cis works better in my mind as biology isn't as straightforward as people assume.. don't think I've seen cis been used to deliberately offend anyone 🤷‍♀️

Post edited by km991148 on

• Advertisement
    °°°°°

It comes down to respect I suppose.

If someone says they don't want to be called something that's up to them.

Seeing some of the responses to this on thread has been telling of why some people are getting a bit sick of being lectured by the new left, there's an almost gleeful element to sticking the boot in on those they disagree with.

It's difficult to be taken seriously when you're arguing one group of people should have their requests taken seriously whilst ridiculing another's. And that's the problem with the new left, it's incredibly childish for the most part.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Hypocrisy here is incredible - moaning about the lack of civility and 'an almost gleeful element to sticking the boot in' while in the same post name calling others they disagree with...

It isn't surprising though because I agree with your overall point of people demanding more from others than how they themselves act - whether they left, right, or even the faux centrists here who just spend all their time attacking anything on the left.

It's all very well for you to frame it that way (being lectured etc, new left etc..) but tbh I don't see much evidence to support your claim.

If someone says don't use cis to include them, then fair enough but it kinda makes conversations that involve the trans community a little more difficult, doesn't it?

Of course some people just love getting tied up in language and it speaks to my earlier point about manufacturing two "sides" and who the real benefactors of this situation of endless "debate" are...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,972 ✭✭✭Shoog

I love sticking the boot into bigots - and I am not remotely ashamed of it. Every time one of them falls because they let slip out the words that should never be said out loud - I give a little shout of joy.

Also the only people who ever say that they are beyond the left-right paradigm are those who are ashamed to admit that most of their views are teat fed from the more unsavoury end of the right wing - in short I don't believe them.

°°°°°

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

In what way, shape or form would it make conversations difficult? For example, Angelina Jolie is a woman, Caitlyn Jenner is a trans-woman. No difficulty there, except people wanting Angelina, in this example, to redefine her womanhood to cis-woman. She hasn’t changed, so her descriptor shouldn’t change. I would have thought that was common decency, the person who has changed takes the hit of the redefinition, not the person who is the exact same and has changed nothing

°°°°°

You don't see much evidence? Maybe you're not looking in the right places.

Glazers Out!

Yeah I guess and if you need to talk about a non trans person you can say non trans, no problem but really it's not redefining anything, just a convenient marker. It's certainly not misgendering someone as it's not a gender as such..

But again if it makes communication easier and someone has a preference not to use the word then I try not to when speaking about them. But it's a little like saying don't use the word Irish to refer to an Irish person. Fine, I wont (again to further communication) but sometimes it's really useful in some contexts to say Irish..

But I really don't think anyone is using it to be offensive or get a rise out if anyone as suggested. That just sounds a bit daft really, but I guess you never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,523 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I get why "straight" people see it as offputting, but if I was in the position of being the "Straight" or "Normal" one, yeah I could see why you would push back on people not talking about you with the respect you deserve.

Anyway here's Elliot Paige.

• Advertisement

Moaning about the left 'lecturing' and 'gleefully sticking the boot in' to those they disagree with while in the same post lecturing them about how they should act and sticking the boot in calling them names.

Pure unsurprising hypocrisy.

°°°°°

Glazers Out!

Just in: Cancel culture no longer an invention of the Democrats, or the Left, New Left, Pepsi Left, Diet Left, Left Zero, etc. and has, actually, been around for thousands of years, making Cancel Culture quite traditional, to the excitement of conservatives everywhere.

'that's the problem with the new left, it's incredibly childish for the most part.'

°°°°°

Glazers Out!

°°°°°

Glazers Out!

Same thing - I really don't know why people are threatened by it so much.

I do. It threatens one's sensibility for being "straight" and "normal." "Cis" takes all the subtexts of moral superiority away. Worse for most sensitive egos in the transphobic/trans-exclusion movement is that is sounds like "sissy," - one of those names they love hurling at the pride community, allies, and anyone they don't see as an 'alpha male' or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

An Irish person is from Ireland. Cis has no relation to anyone male or female.

• Advertisement

Maybe the Libertarians have the answers to push back against the left...

... nevermind

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement