Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abuse of Referees

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,197 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Has that not been changed? Like, they can investigate if it's in the public interest and there is evidence.

Either way, it won't be a quick investigation. Everyone that was there would have to be identified and a statement requested. Phone footage will need to be requested and viewed. They will need an injured party statement from the ref, if he's willing to give one (I'd imagine he will in this case). Once enough evidence points to a suspect they would then either arrest him or he would give a voluntary caution statement (usually only if they're admitting, saves the process/paperwork). A file would then need to be prepared, sent to the local Inspector/Super who would decide then if it requires DPP advice. This won't be over quickly if there is an investigation.

The stories of the manager headbutting the ref unconscious seems to be the actual truth going by what I've read so far, but as pointed out it is still all hearsay at the moment. Yes, the crucial 3 seconds are missing, you me and the crows know what happened, but that doesn't mean it can be legally proven. People would be surprised by what can cause a case to fail, and it's getting harder and harder these days with more and more loopholes and bleeding hearts making it harder. It should be simpler, more straight forward, but it isn't. It's why I always say that you had to be a Garda to really understand what it's like, and the files/paperwork is near the top of the pile of the worst aspects of the job, and the reason most things take aaaaaaaaaaaaages. (FWIW, it took me 18 months to investigate threats simply because I had 10K text messages to read and use as evidence...)

On the topic at hand, I don't understand how all refs are not treated the same as the rugby ones. I couldn't do it. The ones I feel for the most (albeit they're also probably paid the most) are the ones in professional soccer. The way these millionaires talk and act to some of them... I'd plant them! And they fall over easy enough so wouldn't be hard I'd say. Beyond me why lads do it unpaid or for a few quid here. There'll be no refs, then no matches, and the people at fault will then be giving out because they've no matches to go to.

Although, used to be quite verbal when I attended matches when I was younger. It's only after I lost interest in sport that I realised how horrible I was being, specifically to the ref and based solely on my own understanding of what happened. But it seemed to be the done thing. Everyone in the crowd did it. It was funny to a child, all these adults getting angry and upset and using curse words! Of course we were going to copy them. The whole attitude needs to change, and I can't see that happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,309 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

All Roscommon GAA refs have gone on strike for this weekend. All games postponed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

Heat of the moment ? He calmly walked onto the pitch !

you def have to be on a wind up . The one thing I agree with is we dont need a media circus but we do need this to be dealt with properly

If you think an apology is sufficient then you are delusional

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Honestly, every ref should go on strike until the GAA as an organisation take action on the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭cosatron

i hope the ref brings the full force of the law down on top of this manager and cleans him out. Imagine after a days work and go ref an u17 match and wake up in a hospital and take the rest of week off and concussion in some cases have long lasting effect on people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭thesultan

Could you tell me what had the mentor cause to get mad with?

Thanks for the details, very interesting, I had no idea it would be so complicated.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,309 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

I'd agree with that. They need to hold strong as an entity and assert their position in the game. Country-wide withdrawal from all games. Demand respect and security at all levels. Pay increase. Time to draw a line in the sand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Quitelife

The soft on Crime Judges are allowing people be attacked on our streets with no repercussions so not really surprising officials at sports matchs get attacked as well.

If this guy was brought to court a free legal aid solicitor and judge will ensure nothing of any note happens him. The GAA will suspend him for a lengthy period but our courts will do nothing as usual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭celt262

Have you ever given a though to becoming a referee yourself ?

I wouldn't do it for any money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,308 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

No judge is responsible for a referee getting a smack during an under 17s game. Get a grip here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭rpurfield

I referee and if you think anyone is doing it for an income you need to wobble your head. Aside from the cost of fuel the amount of stuff I have changed around at home etc for games means it is barely worth it. Every county is short referees if you think they are all so bad maybe take it up so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Quitelife

There is a section of our society who know the judges and courts are soft on crime so they can attack people on the streets etc.

You can hit guards even these days and you dont go to jail , our soft on crime courts have got people used to little or no repercussions for attacking anyone be that referees , guards or your next door neighbor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,127 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

It’s not stopping many of them though. Loads of referees in Louth, Meath and many other counties. I actually did referee in my younger days and never had an instance like this. Maybe I was better than many 😂😅

I did referee and I did it for free. Mayb the money attracts the bad referees?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,721 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Do people honestly think that €40 to give up close to three hours of your time is attracting people? Added to that the abuse from both sides, the pressure to get every call right, out on all weathers, on your own most of the time.

You also have to stay fit, fill in reports, have additional reports if any red cards are issued. Yearly renewal courses, having games cancelled with sometimes only hours to spare - having already let other plans go.

And on top of all that the almost 1/4 chance of getting physically attacked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,420 ✭✭✭blackbox

It has been suggested by some posters on this thread that some referees are useless and deserve to be abused and/ or assaulted.

Some referees may be useless. This does not justify direct action by players or managers.

I'm not a fan of rugby, but they have got the refereeing right. Why don't GAA and soccer follow their lead - they don't even have to invent a system.

I don’t recall any poster saying that any referee deserves to be assaulted. Quite the opposite. I’ve seen people get agitated on the sidelines for many reason ie players not playing to instructions, wandering out of position and getting themselves into trouble with referees. I’ve also seen people getting agitated by what they see as bad referring and I’ve seen bad refereeing myself. There is no defence to committing assaults though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,599 ✭✭✭✭walshb

This, in a nutshell. Toerag behavior being excused, Happens in other sports where officials are abused, and folks far too reluctant to call this out as disgraceful.

Look at recent Wimby final. That toerag, Kyrgios and his behavour duing the match. Not a wimper from the commentary to call him out on it, or to defend the officials.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

I genuinely believe you should have a special assessment and license to coach underage kids...

There is a lot of coaches in all sports who think they are managing county teams, international rugby teams etc...

I had an interest in getting into coaching a few years back, but I realized I'd be a terrible influence on children/young teens because i can be way too competitive...and give the referee's stick and grow frustrated easily when things aren't done correctly...thankfully i realized this myself but i see folks just like me coaching underage teams and the level of respect for referee's and/or the rules are non-existent

• Advertisement

Just on this incident: I haven't read through the thread. What has been verified?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭celt262

Maybe it does but i don't think they go out to referee a game badly, some are probably not cut out for it but get through the system due to the lack of referees. What sort of training did you do to become a referee i know they do a fitness test but what other assessments are done?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Imagine thinking that €50 to referee a game is a nice little earner, just how moronic do you have to be to think that?

Give up your evenings to go out in all sorts of weather and take abuse from all sides for the princely sum of what, €16 an hour?

As money making schemes go it isn't exactly the most efficient that I have ever heard of.

Hoping this toerag faces an assault charge here, or will the GAA put it down as all part of the game....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

LOL, "no malice".

Would hate to see what consider "with malice" to be....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,819 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

People quoting money referees get are victim blaming here and are too thick to realise it

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Astartes

Every ref in the country should take the weekend off, soccer included. Give fools who act like baby infants on the sideline something to think about.

Act like cowardly thugs, you mean

If AGS do not get involved here this will be a disgrace. This is a common assault issue.

Seven games a week ie schools and the league matches for several I know is not to be sneezed at. Some of these are very good referees but as I said it’s a nice little earner for a few who are poor enough.l

• Advertisement

Have a look in the mirror and don’t be so gullible.

Advertisement