Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

So what are we supposed to be doing in the game? I get the mechanics, but what's the aim of the game?

Wow ****! never mind. Wtf just happened....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Just posting to say that the Cuphead DLC is fantastic in case you haven't picked it up yet.

I love Cuphead.

Giving Fenyx Rising a go. Not far in and character says "if I climb to the top of that mountain I'll have a better vantage point". Yep, it's a Ubisoft game 😆

Edit: Oh look the clouds have cleared on the map LOL 😆

• Registered Users Posts: 5,928 ✭✭✭Cordell

Give it a chance, it's a good game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Clunky breath of the wild.

• Advertisement

Yea it does seem decent, but it's a kids game really, a bit too childish and simplistic for me.

Here's a new source of anxiety for me, the "leaving soon" list on game pass.

Lost Words and Plagues tale leaving 15th sep.

Played plagues tale.years ago but never finished it. Will need to get stuck in again before the sequel. Rats, ugh!

Lost Words looks decent.

Well look at that. I've gone from not being able to find a game to play, to having 2 games that I have to play now just because they are leaving 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 29,026 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Funnily enough, that's how I decide what to watch from my Netlix list.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,928 ✭✭✭Cordell

a bit too childish and simplistic for me

Maybe that's why I liked it so much after all those generic Ubisoft open worlds.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Lost words isn't too long a couple of hours. You'd be finished in a couple of days even shorter depending on how long you play games a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

• Advertisement

I like that better.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Post edited by Jordan 199 on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,845 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Wrapped up the "rebuilt" the last of us part 1. It's Phenomenal.

I remembered it was amazing but I'd forgotten huge sections over the years and loved this play through, and it looks and plays amazingly.

I think playing it after playing part 2 recently makes part 2 better as you see so much tying together. The "big controversy" and, how it was handled, makes more sense as you do the same thing over and over and over again.

I'm not sure, but I feel they have made Joel look more like Pedro Pascal to support the TV show.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Fenyx Rising has some not for kids jokes and lines in it, especially between Aphrodite and Ares if memory serves me correct.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Cracked it on there this morning, the opening sequence scared the sh*te out of my two. Guess I won't be playing that in front of them 😂

Watched most of the two digital foundry videos and I'm still not convinced I need it. There's just so small a jump in graphical fidelity as well as some accounts on twitter pointing out the awful art direction and shot composition in some scenarios, it's obvious the best naughty dog people were on it.

I find it weird that a game 10 years old and 2 console generations ago using the latest in graphical techniques can look like such a marginal improvement when you have stuff like this which are games 4 years apart. I guess it's the nature of tech advancement.

Had a few hours on cloud on the steam deck today. Started Gears Tactics and it's very good. Works well with the controller. Had been meaning to play it for a while.

The other game I played was "Before we Leave". It's more more relaxing. You build your little village on these little panels, then follow the usual pattern of researching, mining, building and expanding. Just played through the tutorial which was long enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Gave Guardians of the Galaxy a go. Lasted about an hour before their constant chatter turned me off. They just don't shut up. Wouldn't be too bad if it didn't stop mid conversation because you walked over an area with a custscene. Seems very try-hard, the flarking replacement is annoying and overused, the guns feel crap starting off and a mate says you don't get much more. And I don't like the voices. Would have been better if you could switch between the characters rather than command them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The only invented replacement for f*ck that ever worked for me was Battlestar Galactica's "frak", and that was often simply cos they choose good moments to use it.

"Frell" wasn't too bad in Farscape mind you; "flark" just sounds too goofy. It has to have an explosive, exasperated quality for a swear to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

I liked the fake mandarin swearing in Firefly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Frak was an incredibly stupid replacement but the actors sold it so well that it ended up being great

I'm about 1/3rd of the way thru and can't get over how good it looks. I'm using the 40 fps mode which is just about doable with VRR, tried with VRR off and it was just too unstable. The new character models and the performances they enable are the real star of the show IMO. The price tag is still stupid but the work they have done has more than justified the existence of the game.

Just an FYI to those interested, the Mega Drive Mini 2 is an amazon exclusive over here and it just went up for pre-order

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0B7BDN73B/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,598 ✭✭✭quokula

Just got back from a long weekend away where I stayed off email to find I had one mail from Steam on Thursday letting me know my Steam Deck that I ordered months ago was now available, and another today refunding my deposit because I hadn’t claimed it in time 😐

I think I’ll just wait for the next revision of the hardware, it’ll be outdated by the time I could get one at this rate.

If you contact them they can extend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I started playing Grid Legends over the weekend. It's pretty good.

Here's some complete ballocks from our national broadcaster:

While I see nothing wrong with the research that was carried out and it has some pretty shocking stats in there relating to cyberbullying and children being subjected to disturbing images I have a major problem with the headline leading with 'Almost 33% of pre-teen boys play over-18 games'. The article doesn't even mention this stat and the group that carried out the research is more concerned over exposure to disturbing imagery and cyberbullying. It's complete hyperbolic nonsense.

‘Nintendo killed my son’ never went away. It’s always been there under the surface for whenever the opportunity presents itself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

It's weird but I always look to have one of these on the go. At the moment it's Assassin's Creed Odyssey, and it's just nice, brainless videogame chewing gum. Jump in for 40 minutes here and there when I don't have anything else going on. It's a strangely comforting Ubisoft thing - the games are utterly interchangeable - could be WatchDogs, Far Cry or Immortals, just a nice brainless nothing to dip in and out of.

Advertisement