Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost cutting tips. So with the spiraling cost of food and electricity I thought this would be good.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,376 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Gather roadkill early in the morning , obviously if there's maggots it's not to be eaten .Nothing like a badger stew on a Winters day.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭babyducklings1

Jog 5km round the block every morning and evening to warm up.

Baby wipes instead of shower and dry shampoo for hair.

Eat canned food by candle light.

‘ Shur it’ll be grand.’

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭thegame983

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Wow. That's so counterintuitive. Thanks @Jim_Hodge. I must read into it further...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

Not really a cost cutting tip, but more like a saving tip for anyone with cheap enough rent or anyone who can manage it.

If you can, save rent over 3 weeks but also save rent for the fourth week. That fourth week adds up every month, which helped me when I was given my notice last year as I had a rental deposit and first month saved up without having to wait to get deposit back from previous landlord. Also helps if you need to take a day or two off sick and you get low pay one week, you have the rent saved over three weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,947 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

Haven't read all posts

My one- Frozen food instructions- 'Best results are to cook from frozen at 200 degrees for 35 mins' Complete horse - Defrost it for free and cook it for less time. That should be mandatory on packaging cooking instructions

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Snugbugrug28

We bought a cheap outdoor, sensor light in Tesco for €10 and it works great! We don't turn any of our outdoor lights on now at night to save on Leccie. At least we have a bit of security with the sensor lights.

• Advertisement

Have about 8 kids and feed them and your partner on McDonald's and other fatty foods. They will heat your house for you. No oil bills, and you can scrape the fat off them to fill oil lamps.

You can also bottle and store their farts to run your air conditioning systems for the hot summers ahead.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Use both sides of the Jack's paper when your wiping your arse op. Saves a shitload. Btw don't shower and be a smelly bastid. Expecting to be sitting beside a lot of smelly fookers on public transport this winter. Dont blame them thou. I'll prolly be one of them. Dont judge me when the hum comes your way

• Registered Users Posts: 68,691 ✭✭✭✭L1011

They all do.

Its significantly more efficient (seconds at 800w vs minutes at 3000w), but the water doesn't get consistently boiled and if you leave it too long, can 'explode' from locational superheating.

Using just the right amount of water in a kettle is much more efficient than the usual fill-and-boil, and possibly safer than microwaving it albeit still using more power than microwaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,998 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

It will be a case of people, especially businesses not being able to pay, so it's pointless to charge, the French would not put up with it, the Sheep in Ireland need to grow a pair.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

One question, we have George Foreman grill and a Philip air fryer

We have started to use the Air Fryer more as the cooker is a big old Rangemaster and not every efficient

Would the air fryer be cheaper to use than the George for burgers etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Shauna677

Worst advice ever. Leave oven door open while cooking dinner.......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

Best advice I could give anyone to save electricity/heating bills would be to replace all windows and door seals. We got this done last year, guy came out and replaced all the rubber seals and adjusted all the doors and windows , made a massive difference to heating as regards how long it needed to be on and how it retained it for afterwards. Cost of doing a 250sq m house was €120, plus a noticeable reduction in wind noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,659 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Read on dear, Read on.

Did you also think the OP was good advice?????

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

I know a lot of people who put the heating on far too often. I have one friend who would have the heating on and sitting there in shorts and a t-shirt. A lot of the time a pair of pjs socks and a warm top or housecoat is enough and leave the heating off. Ok there are times in the year when you absolutely need the heat on but some are far too trigger happy with it.

Also, completely cut out to go tea, coffee and sandwiches. Make your own sandwiches, they can be nicer anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,659 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

@brokenangel Look at the wattage on each and multiply by the length of time each takes to do a task.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 AvalonEnaid

On the topic of 30'c vs 40'c for your washing, I've never used heated water for washes my entire life and nothing bad has happened.

My bad, @AMKC.

Post edited by AvalonEnaid on

• Registered Users Posts: 16,011 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Do you want legionella bacteria? Because that's how you get legionella bacteria?

I don't get it. What is it I said that I could get it from?

I have never hot it thankfully that I know of.

I wash my clothes in the washing machine at 30degrees was that it?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

I know this falls into the "only joking, but not really" category, and my wife is the same.

I've turned into my father walking around the house turning off lights and things. It wouldn't be unusual for me to come home to a house with ceilong lights on, bathroom lights and fans on, lamps on, television on, sometimes a hair straightener still plugged in - and she's left the house 3 hours ago.

Despite repeated requests to be a little more careful... Still fairly regular carry on.

Aaaah! I quoted the wrong post. My apologies good sir.

Do you want legionella bacteria? Because that's how you get legionella bacteria.

Keep your hot water above 60'c.

Post edited by AvalonEnaid on

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

My own 2c, most which have already been mentioned

Sit down and honestly add up just how much you spend per day and per week. Excel will do it or I am sure there are apps. It's also useful to break it into mandatory, discretionary and slightly frivolous spending.

Budget by the week, even if your income is monthly, it focuses the mind on where it is going.

Write a shopping list and just stick to it, no just trying new things. Buy what you need not what you always get in a shop.

Look at the treats you buy and remove one or more of them

Introduce self and family to the glory and cheapness of soups, stews too

Look into the likes of lentils and other pulses to see how you can introduce those into diets. Canned tomatoes can enhance your life too.

Plan a meal menu for the week and roughly calculate how much it will cost per meal.

Microwave your vegetables (if you don't have a steamer)

Learn to make your own bread. Can be a fun activity with younger family members plus you can fill the oven and freeze it

Add up your shopping bill as you shop - it may be way out but it's still a ball park indicator and it's good mental exercise.

Microwave your vegetables (if you don't have a steamer)Sweaters and tops are not just for outside

If you drive, slow it down and set a weekly budget on what you spend.

Invest in throws and covers etc. Great for when it's that in-between time where it's not quite cold enough to have much heating but out of habit we turn it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

Same in my house. All lights have to be on regardless of how dark/bright it is. But do u think she’d turn on the extractor fan whilst having a shower???

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭teediddlyeye

"I never thought I was normal, never tried to be normal."- Charlie Manson

• Registered Users Posts: 20,196 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Fair one. I'll look into that. Cheers.

FFS, you can't win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

Excellent points

When Eamonn Ryan said to slow down this place went mad. It's the best advice ever. Just because he said it people went nuts!!!

Even in my X5, I have 3 modes, Eco, Comfort and fast something. By dropping back into Eco mode I dropped down from 10-11ltr/100km to 8-9ltr/100km. By slowing down I am now running at 7-8ltr/100km. So thats 2ltr saved per 100km by doing very little

Also a big hint, stop buying cheap shite tires on cars. The fuel efficiency is terrible. They will cost you a fortune in the long run. Buy the proper tires which are fuel efficient.

Also it is soccer morning here, instead of 20 parents all going to soccer we have all grouped together to bring the kids. I know some people might do it but this should be automatic. 20 cars with 1 adult and 1 child is so inefficient every weekend

Advertisement