Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Stadia

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭radius345

Any sign of a preorder link for Saints Row on Stadia yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,468 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Stadia PRO Games for September Announced - https://community.stadia.com/t5/Stadia-Community-Blog/This-Week-on-Stadia-Back-to-School-Back-to-Games/ba-p/82023

Yars Recharged

Overcooked! All You Can Eat

Spiritfarer

Tri6:Infinite

PJ Masks: Heroes of the Night

Really only interested in Overcooked, Spiritfarer and Tri6:Infinite, young lad will probably get a kick out of PJ Masks.

Also, was great to see Dead Island 2 announced as coming to the platform in Feb 2023, nice get.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭eggy81

Finally got ftth on Tuesday. Charged the old stadia controller and hooked up the Chromecast ultra for a blast at destiny to see was it better. Wow. Such a smooth experience. Really great. Played an hour of fifa22 online too without a hitch. It’s a viable option definitely with a decent connection. Getting around 400mb at the tv I use it on. Wonder what’s the least it needs to be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I think min is 10mb for standard and 40mb for 4k. But I'd still like some buffer. 100 is nice, 400 is looaaads 😂.

It's a great option, especially when you see PS5 is now gone up to €550. And Stadia is essentially free if you have a controller and a chrome browser.

FIFA 23 is out in a few weeks too and it's on par with the other gen 5 consoles and has cross play so no worries about audience size. Could be a big boost for the platform.

• Advertisement

I'm after getting Google stadia, I'm on virgin fiber, using WiFi and am having a horrific experience with it. The lag is brutal. 4 others in the house all on the same WiFi is likely the cause

Is this what I need to get to plug in an ethernet cable directly?

It looks right but I want to double check incase I'm missing something

If you have the white Chromecast with Google TV. Then yes.

If you have the little black Chromecast then it should be built in.

Yeah it's the white one, cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

I've used stadia on WiFi before and it's been great, just make sure you are connected to the 5ghz band rather than the 2.4ghz band. Makes a big difference. Ethernet is obviously better but might tide you over until you get the ethernet plug delivered.

I'll try that out, thanks for the advice

Edit: just did that and Holy crap! The difference! It's buttery smooth now. Cheers, you just saved me 20 quid 👍

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Advertisement

I'd still recommend a wired connection for any game streaming service, where possible.

WiFi is just a radio signal and subject to lots of interference.

Yeah I may go that route if I see any issues but for now I'm happy enough

Out of interest has anyone noticed any performance difference between the 4k Chromecast (black plug with ethernet port) and the new Google TV one (white without port)?

None, the Chromecast (white) was late getting stadia support but it works the same. I think it might be a bit better.

The main difference is that the white one has a remote and an interface so it's easier to set up. I found the Ultra a pain to do with the phone. Plus you can put all your other apps like IPTV and Netflix directly onto it.

I tried the Stadia app on my Bravia TV last night. It's a 2021 model and works great.

I had tried it before on my older TV, a Bravia from 2015 and it was total ass.

I might plug out the CC Ultra that I was using up to now and save on another plugged in device!

I have a Sony Bravia Google TV 2021 model myself and find Stadia so good on it. Choose the app, pair the controller and 30 seconds later you are playing. The picture and sound quality are outstanding. I still find it amazing, the technology and development required to deliver this in the background must be immense.

That said, we have an old Chromecast Ultra on TV in play room which the 5 year old uses to play Spongebob and have never had any issue with it either, albeit it's a bit more fiddly to use and definitely more difficult to initially set up.

With more TV manufacturers including the Stadia app as standard it should lead to a dropoff in use of the CC Ultra and CCWGTV.

What are people on here playing at the moment? I've been playing Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition, had it in my backlog for ages and busting through it now. Solid game. Dipping in and out of the Pro games for this month also.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,574 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Anybody try using 3rd party controllers with Stadia on their TV?

Have an LG TV (WebOS 5.0) and downloaded the Stadia app and it seems to work so far, but I don't have a sub (already used the free trial). I have three controllers; wired knock-off xbox 360, wired knock-off ps4 and a wireless ps4 controller. TV has USB ports, but I've never tried using them to connect the controllers. I should just try this evening, but wondering if anybody has a similar setup.

this seems to indicate that the knock offs might work to just plug it into the USB slot. And the PS4 one via the TV's bluetooth. There is also the option of connecting the controller to your phone and using it's wi-fi to play.

Few free to play options like Destiny 2 that don't need to subs.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,574 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Plugged in the 360 controller to the back of the TV and played some Destiny 2. It's obviously in 1080 but completely seemless otherwise.

Completely mad that I have access to some modern gen gaming for free, thanks to having a modern TV, decent internet and old controller. I claimed some games back when I used my trial, so have 10+ games to choose from. Again, for free.

• Advertisement

Ubisoft+ has a free month from today to the 10th October. Loads of games on stadia. Just make sure you select the PC + Cloud option on the site.

And cancel after if you don't want to be charged in 30 days.

Open the stadia app, click your profile in the top right and select ubisoft+ option then follow the steps.

Post edited by Grumpypants on

New Chromecast with Google TV announced at €40. It only streams at 1080p but it will run the Stadia App.

if you are on the free stadia tier 1080p is all you get anyway.

No messing with regions like the fire stick either.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Aaaaaaaand it's gone.

Google doing what Google does and they're shutting down all Stadia services in January - https://blog.google/products/stadia/message-on-stadia-streaming-strategy/

It's a real shame because they technology is there but Google never gave it a chance. Trying to launch a brand new gaming service that would be open and available to anyone with a screen and then never bothering to advertise or let people outside of the gaming scene even know it exists.

Still I got a free Chromecast out of it and they are refunding people for their hardware and software purchases. I guess the **** thing is that almost everyone predicted this.

Oh FFS this is exactly why I hesitated for so long to pull the trigger on it.

Literally a few weeks ago I decided to get it, bought the controller and the chromecast

and now this

Sigh, its my own fault. I've been burned in the past by Google pulling services so I should have stayed away

The only positives are the fact that I haven't actually paid anything yet for Stadia the service as I'm on a free trial and the new chromecast which is a big improvement over the old one I had.

Granted I only dropped 20 quid for one game, but whats going to happen with that now? Is it just tough luck or will they refund or...? You updated your post to clarify 👍️ Thats not so bad if they're refunding everything

Less than 4 weeks of using Stadia and they kill it 🙄

I guess the **** thing is that almost everyone predicted this.

Yeah its pretty much going to be a given that people are going to become more and more reluctant to pony up for new google services into the future with this and other examples. I know I sure as hell won't be bitten again *he said, looking at his Google One storage*

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭somebody_else

FECK !

good point is they will be refuding purchased games and hardware.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Hmm, I bought a stadia controller and chromecast bundle thing nearly 2 years ago now. Will I get refund i wonder? I bought cyberpunk game, what a waste of time that was...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,567 ✭✭✭wassie

I'll be sad to to see it closed down but not exactly a shock given the way things have gone over the last 18 months.

I never subscribed to Pro, but bought a games & controllers so I wont be out of pocket. Can't really complain about having free gaming for the last 2 years.

A lot of peeps out there also bought a few controllerscheap and sold for them a tidy profit, so they will actually have been paid to game!

As @super_furry posted, having a couple of free Chromecasts isnt to shabby also!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Can the stadia controller be used for anything non-stadia related going forward?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,567 ✭✭✭wassie

• Advertisement

I have mine plugged into my tablet or laptop and play games on xcloud with it pretty regularly.

Advertisement