Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PV Feed In Tariff

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭randombar

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

It will be cheaper than my current contact with EI when the rises take hold in October,i will be paying approx 29.6 day and 13.5 night(vat inc) with the likelihood of further increases in Jan.Is it still a fixed unit rate yearly contact with Energia?

Post edited by kabakuyu on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭paulbok

With EI currently and done some rough calcs on the payback.

Unit rate inc vat was 16.1c at time of install, payback was looking at about 8 years then.

New rate in October will be around 27.8c, and based on that, my payback will drop to around 5.5 years. That's without any further increases.

Good chance the way things are going, that after 4 years it'll have payed itself off.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭curioustony

EI did not put up the standing charges for the night boost plan -- maybe they have been reading here too. Might not be quite so bad as I feared initially.

Need to update a load of rates to do a proper comparison.

Needles to say, not happy!

🌞4.55 kWp, azimuth 136°, slope 24°, 5kW, 🛢️10.9kWh, Roscommon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

Just rang Energia, EV plan is fixed for year, I have switched from EI who I suspect will have another hike post xmas,the energia night rate is too competitive to pass up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭og2k7

Moving to Energia but yeah, the new deal with 31% off the table so got the 27% one with day/night tariff

• Registered Users Posts: 11,222 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 11,222 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I'm on a 41% discount with Energia but the rate is variable. I don't use enough night rate to make the EV plan worth it but I'm debating switching to it for the fixed rate

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭phester28

looked back over the thread but could not find an answer. I am with electric Ireland "dual fuel" and have smart meter but will not sign up for smart plans due to the peak rates

Has electric Ireland said how / when and how much they are going to pay the FIT for solar conforming installs nc6 etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

I signed up to the energia dn ec rate yesterday :-) i assume the rates yesteedsy will apply not todays rates ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Niceday20

You should have got an email from Energia with the rates in when you signed up - thats what I got on Tuesday. I would make sure you have that email, but as your signed yesterday, you should be okay,

It's very hard to keep up with the changes in the rates at the moment. I'm on a smart meter, so all of these are smart meter plans.

I cannot find a BGE FIT anywhere. Is anyone aware of one?

So far this round Flogas & Energia have not announced any increases yet... to the best of my knowledge.

Of course 'round' is a bit rich given the double tap from EI.

I just updated the rates I am tracking (as always for my usage & generation profile)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭jkforde

hmm, if you have a smart meter but are not signed up to a smart plan, will you be told to in order to get the *metered* export CEG? just curious

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Registered Users Posts: 15,070 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

It's 18.5c

Bord Gáis Energy will offer our customers, both business and homeowners, 18.5 cent per kWh for any excess electricity that they are microgenerating and exporting to the grid under our Microgen Export plan. This rate will be offered to both metered and eligible deemed* customers. We will be publishing more details on how our customers can sign up to this plan in the coming weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,287 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

The Energia 27.4 & 7.9c rates are including vat.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

I was with Electric Ire and out of original term so no break charge. EI retention team phoned me this morning to see if they could hold me but because they phoned me, I wasn't happy to starting confirming IDs etc so they couldn't proceed to tempt me back.

@Ha Long Bay , thanks for that, it makes BGE the winner for now...

Having said that, my quick survey of rate increases for suppliers in 2022 indicates this might change:

Flogas looks good because they still have a good sign-up bonus (for me)

Energia and BGE are probably going to move down the table.

A lottery right now. Only I know I will not be the winner.

Still without solar this would be full of very very scary numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭fuse

And there we are

Bord Gais price hikes...I've just switched to them.

I wonder can I go on switching under the 14-day cooling off period indefinitely? 😀

The company has said that from 2 October, the average residential electricity bill will rise by 34% or €48.25 per month and the average residential gas bill will jump by 39% or €43.80.

Getting them all in before the budget

• Registered Users Posts: 12,287 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

• Advertisement

@DrPhilG I'm jealous of the D/N meter. Not so much that I will go through the hassle of getting rid of the smart meter -- then being forced to take it back at some point in the next 2 years...

With any luck this will firm up soon.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Why not, you cannot be "forced" to take a Smart Meter, this has been covered countless times on the forum, just politely refuse it

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

I think you can refuse it in the short term, but the expectation in that everyone in Ireland is mandated to have a smart meter at some stage. That was supposedly 2023, then it moved to 2024.

I'll certainly be trying to do a "Charlton Heston" on it......"you can take it from my cold dead hands", but sadly I fear that at some stage in the next 2-3 years I'll have to stomach the pill. Hopefully the smart tariffs will have progressed in competitiveness at that stage.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

There is no mandate and covered in Dail Q&A it can be refused, they only way they'll "force" it is indirectly via withdrawal of price plans by providers but this is very shakey grounds.

Reminds me of the time I got home and the ESB had a ladder on my flat roof extension up to my main roof, I told them to get it down and leave and they said "we're the ESB, we can enter any premises anytime for any reason".

One minute later their ladder was thrown on the public road and that was that. The dope was at the wrong house it turned out.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Hmm, I thought it was an EU directive that ireland had to comply with, but when I went looking I didn't find anything.

Smart grids and meters (europa.eu)

I'll take your word on it re being able to refuse ad nauseum - but do suspect that they'll not remove the price plans, but make it so insanely expensive to stay on the price plan that we'll all simply migrate. Effectively the opposite of where we are now as lets face it.....if the Smart meters were the right move for solar operators like ourselves, most of us would be on them.

Love your ESB story. LOL

@Scorpion Sting@slave1 I already have a smart meter. Looking for d/n now would mean I will lose the FIT straight away. Pretty sure that it will be more hassle than I want to take on too. For sure could be different for others, but I'm not going to trail blaze it... Might follow if it is without hassle.

I also think that the prices won't last. The regulator will need to step in to 'encourage' a better distribution of load. The smart meter is the obvious tool to do that.

I can be completely wrong and we end up with a cake and eat it solution. Or new power stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭redmagic68

Just tried switching to energia by phone. They confirmed again the Pv plan rates are fixed but the lady then asked me what type of electric car we had. Said we didn’t have it so asked about the charger next, same as above 😂. Will get one when we can afford it but it’ll be a few years having just paid for the Pv instal.

she offered me the standard home plan but rates are variable. I went online and switched there where none of the car or charger related questions were asked.

I got it confirmed that the switch had gone though on their webpage despite info saying they were undertaking maintenance. Haven’t received the confirmation email yet so hopefully it comes through. I know a lot were looking at it so just thought I’d give my experience.

hopefully it goes through without hassle but nothing ventured nothing gained and perhaps stay off the sales phones and hope might be the better option 🙂

8.4 kwp east/west Louth,6kw sofar, 9.6kwh batt

• Registered Users Posts: 12,115 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I already have a smart meter. Looking for d/n now would mean I will lose the FIT straight away.

Apparently not. @ELM327 confirmed via Energia that a switch to a d/n meter/tariff doesn’t exclude you from FiT

• Registered Users Posts: 65,314 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

It excludes you from any deemed export payment. You won't get a cent in FIT until you then actually have a smart meter installed again in a few years time and your actual export is measured.

Personally I would be reluctant to do that, unless you export very little and / or your night time consumption is huge

• Advertisement

My export so far this year is 1022.61 kWh. ~2 of those was before Feb 15th.

Even though I have a smart meter, EI think I am not eligible for one so are providing deemed. Not much difference in the end, little better off with deemed.

I think FIT will cover one of the nasty winter months, so I'd like to keep it. I don't have a HW diverter, or EV (yet)

Advertisement