Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I work with both sides of this industry, the gas boiler side and the renewable energy side, we were talking about this the other day to our heat pump installers and he was pissing himself laughing about it, he said you may aswell be putting a heat pump in your shed for the dog if you attempt retrofitting 95% of property here...

He has no idea how it's going to work, he steers clear of retrofitting full stop as it's literally pissing in the wind, he said great for new builds obviously, but he entirely disagrees with attempting to retrofit houses with them...

A gang of well -paid arty-farty types, who probably spent their college days sipping coffee in the UCD or TCD student safes, and whose debate more than likely contributed to global warming. Their anthem is the The Teddy Bear's Picnic.

Indeed. I agree with strict rules for all new builds and maybe some restrictions, as outlined yesterday, for more recent builds. But retrofitting older property is a joke. Can’t be done. My plumber in Sligo, very reputable well known outfit, won’t entertain the idea either.

There will be very efficient oil boilers coming online soon and we are better off as a nation focussing on insulation and efficiency of existing heating mechanisms rather than going down this retrofitting and heat pump rabbit hole

I supported a lot of green initiatives and restrictions, but Eamonn Ryan will have lost the room on this one. And I still think he has the grudging support of many. Even in my rural community, on the subject of peat burning there is a frustration but also a mood of “it’s probably for the best in the long run”. But he just doesn’t seem to get that you need to bring the people with you as much as you can. And he’ll have lost them with this oil/gas boiler nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭PommieBast

@cagefactor

Got a quote recently for heatpump + insulation (not wrap), minus the grants it was 24,000 for a house built in 1982. I think i'll be with the auld boiler in the shed for a long time yet (easy source parts through the UK anyways who will never implement such insane ideas).

Unfortunately they have. Although it only covers new-builds rather than new boilers themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭Nermal

Between politicians openly boasting of ignoring their electorate, and the enveloping of the business world within the ESG bureaucracy, it has never been more obvious that Europe is effectively a technocracy.

And yet, whatever we do, the billions looking on enviously at our lifestyles from poorer countries will not hamstring their economies. They want the same as we have. They will burn every drop of oil and wisp of gas they can get, while we continue to impoverish ourselves. Some grim decades ahead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

I've been offline for a couple of days so I missed the whole thing with gas and oil boilers.

Am I right in thinking the GP are trying to ban all new sales of fossil fuel boilers from 2025?

So if my highly efficient condensing gas boiler that I put in 2011 breaks down in dec 2024 then I will have to spend 60k plus to retrofit my 1966 home to the standards to allow a heat pump to work?

Surely not?

But that’s the point. It’s not controversial in any way for new builds. It’s insane for older dwellings

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Yes, that is plan from the insane asylum. I wonder how ER plans to block people from importing replacements from elsewhere. Even the EU which typically do SFA about Ireland's multiple transgressions of the spirit of various EU policies might take an interest.

I know, it will be a BRT - boiler registration tax, where 70% of the current market value of a heat pump will be added to the cost of any boiler you try and import. Works for cars and the EU have been happy to sit on their hands over VRT so BRT should get a pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,059 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Car crash type interview with Pauline O'Reilly of the Galway Greens yesterday as regards the replacement of gas and oil burners.

The current Greens need to be removed from government. They are so out of touch with a large proportion of the population.

Zealots & fanatics and we should always be wary of zealots & fanatics of any hue.

That does indeed seem to be the plan. And you can’t afford it then I guess you just freeze. And go back to burning chopped wood in the stove or open fire. A few sneaky chopping down of trees out back…..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,059 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

That's the implication alright of this ill thought concept - to force people by legislation to take up a retrofit scheme they can't afford, that there are insufficient trades people to deliver and to rely on electricity, whose supplies can't even be guaranteed. Mad as a hatter.

My god.

This most certainly is a new low.

Is there anyway maybe he was misunderstood in this interview or press release or something?

Surely some of the sane politicians will start pointing out that this is completely unworkable?

I think I’ll write an email to him and his party just to clarify what I do in the scenario I outlined above- cause I sure as hell won’t be taking on a loan to retrofit the house- I’ll have to get parts on the black market or something!

Lol! A black market for boiler parts- we are turning into a communist state!

I think they still had the sympathies and, to some extent, support from a lot of the population (even if they wouldn’t necessarily be #1 on the ballot paper for most). I supported most of where they were coming from. I’m be on the side of DaCor and Akrasia on most issues.

but they’ve absolutely lost me with this one. Without question a step too far. I’m absolutely astonished about how out of touch this is.

Assuming it is intended to be implemented as we currently understand (and there hasn’t been a huge misunderstanding), I’d like to see @[Deleted User] and @Akrasia attempt to defend it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

I presume a retrofit means losing your fireplace or stove? You’d be mad to give that up in the current climate, it could end up being the only heating method left.

There doesnt appear to be a plan, at what point is it murder/senicide? A winter like 2010 ?

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Back then he banned Uranium exploration. FYI uranium decays to lead over geological timescales and releases Radon gas....Ireland is full of that stuff.

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/letters/ryan-ban-on-uranium-exploration-1.988603

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭EOQRTL

The Green's core voting base is upper middle and upper class people. They don't give a sh1t if you can't afford to insulate your house, solar panels, electric car, heat pumps, triple glaze windows etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

"Boilers in around half a million homes built during the construction boom from 2000-2010 are also approaching end of life and are due for replacement soon.

Energy and Climate Minister Eamon Ryan said the replacement of fossil fuels with fossil fuels could not continue.

“What we need to do now is make it absolutely clear for people that we are switching away from fossil fuels and switching to better alternatives,” he said." https://m.independent.ie/news/environment/details-of-ban-on-gas-and-oil-home-heating-systems-to-be-known-within-weeks-41954294.html

I see little scope for misinterpretation there.

What do the acolytes think of this?

ER forcing people into massive debt post 2025 to forcibly retrofit homes to make heat pumps work.

What about gas boiler installers/repair people? What the hell are they supposed to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭HerrKapitan

With "intense" rain forecast for tomorrow on top of today's rain, this is shaping up to be the wettest September recorded.

It seems we are not going to get comfort of a grey area in between draughts and floods.

People still don't believe the climate is in crisis!?

• Advertisement

They’ve gone very quiet on this one

There are more efficient oil boilers coming into the market all the time (my plumber only just told me about a new one a few days ago), and it is true that better insulation should be incentivised for everyone, rural and urban. This new brainstorm is a great example of the perfect being the enemy of the good

Yeah I actually had to check the date and make sure it wasn’t April 1st.

ffs the GP are coming up with these ideas and completely ignoring the real world effects. How are they getting away with it is beyond me.

Ryan doesn't care, he probably thinks minimum wage is 50k a year or something like that. Sure if older people on a state pension get cold and die who cares, think of the money saved to the state from not paying out all those pensions!! And then of course all those older peoples houses can be used to help cover up the fiasco of years of his governments incompetency in the housing sector. Win win Eamo.

Green logic:

Too much sun = Climate crisis

Too much rain = Climate crisis

Too much snow = Climate crisis

Too much wind = Climate crisis

I actually heard a greeny complaining on the radio a couple of weeks ago about the lack of water in our reservoirs now they are going to fill up and they are still complaining.

Make your mind up for goodness sake 🤣

Explain the Ice age and why did it begin to melt?

As for records,

Ireland enjoys warmest September on record

September was the warmest on record in most parts of Ireland, Met Éireann revealed today.

You seem to be confusing weather with climate change, the climate always changes because that is how this planet functions, our weather has always been up and down.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,408 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I don't know why you're posting links from 16 years ago, the warmest September on record in Ireland was last September.

This is how climate change works, the previous 'extremes' become normal weather.

And the 'Ice age' didn't end, we are still technically in an ice age, but we're in an 'interglacial period'

The most likely way the ice age will actually end, will be because Humans screw up the atmosphere enough to push us into a new equilibrium sometimes called 'hothouse earth'

This can happen if enough GHGs are released that warm the planet enough to trigger positive feedbacks that mean human emission reductions will no longer be enough to halt climate change (this is referred to as 'runaway climate change')

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

https://youtu.be/6DB7OYBPh0I

De greens should be in jail for what the fuckers are doing to this country

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

Housing was a shambles long before 2020 and will continue to be for the decade at least,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

• Advertisement

So Climate change only began 16 years ago?

That's the problem with those who believe in climate change, you like to pick stats that support your arguments but ignore historical facts that the Earth has had climate change since its birth and it has little to do with humans.

You are correct that the Ice age didn't end, we are still cooling down from that period, it's a natural cycle, nothing to do with humans.

Advertisement