Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pushback against Leftism

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Shoog

Nasty bunch of dope smoking proto fascists those libertarian party johnnys.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,738 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

I think this statement has more to do with your personal opinion than anything remotely based in fact. More a laundry list of personal gripes and negative projections than anything that can be observed in reality.

The idea that there is some sort of organised trans exclusion movement isn't based in reality. The closest thing we can find that comes close are feminist organizations that are described as TERFs for wanting the rights of biological women to be respected or the Lgb groups that have been mentioned on this thread previously who have taken issue with Trans activism (people unlikely to be offended by a term that makes them some like they might be sissies).

Where all this other guff about Cis sounding like "sissy" came from is anybody's guess. But then hey, anyone who doesn't go along with what you believe in relation to this issue likely has a problem with a whole host of different issues, they have to don't they? Or should we take the time to look at things rationally and make statements based on facts we can observe? Nah let's just chuck as much mud at them as possible and see what sticks, even if it slides off its gonna leave a stain and they deserve that the swines.

This is the problem with the modern left, if you disagree on one detail of anything they believe you're fair game for any abuse imaginable and prepare to be accused of all sorts of phobias and beliefs.

Glazers Out!

°°°°°

So you get to say whatever you like and people you disagree with deserve abuse?

Can you see how that may lead to a less than ideal outcome when trying to reach a middle ground?

And if you're trying to insinuate I'm some sort of closeted right winger, I'll need some evidence that extends beyond your personal opinion.

Believe it or not most people aren't either extreme left or right wing loonies, even if you find it hard to believe.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 82,523 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

This is the problem with the modern left, if you disagree on one detail of anything they believe you're fair game for any abuse imaginable and prepare to be accused of all sorts of phobias and beliefs.

Wow you said the thing right after you did the thing. You disagreed on the "sissy" detail and believe I am fair game for any abuse imaginable and being accused of all sorts of phobias and beliefs. Magical.

More a laundry list of personal gripes and negative projections than anything that can be observed in reality.

Cool opinions, moving on.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Once again faux pearl clutching about abuse while happy to dish out abuse in your own posts.

None of us know each other in the real world so it is impossible to say what a person is or isn't. What I can say is that from every thread I can remember seeing you in related to social issues you claim to be centrist, yet spend all your time specifically targeting and attacking the perspective of the left leaning posters, with only a rare passing comment about the right is also bad. The amount of absolute toxic right wing posts on this site and I cant remember seeing you challenging them - happy for you to point to examples if I missed them.

If you aren't right winger then 'the left' is living so rent free in your head that you should go talk to someone about it.

• Advertisement
    °°°°°

I never said you're fair game for abuse, I wasn't abusive towards you and didn't encourage anyone else to be abusive towards you.

What you've said there is a lie, why would you tell such an obvious lie? Oh yeah, trying to discredit what I said and by extension me personally.

Look, I think what you stated earlier needed to be called out, sadly it was something you said and calling it out meant I had to reply to you, as our exchanges have become tedious for others we'll leave it there perhaps? I'll only reply if you make up more BS about me. Fair enough?

Glazers Out!

°°°°°

So because I take issue with the radical left I'm therefore part of the radical right even though I've stated that I'm not?

The radical right in Ireland is pitiful and has little to no support, I've seen threads on this site telling everyone that the National Party are on the verge of taking over the country, a narrative pushed by the left leaning usual suspects of Boards that has absolutely no basis in fact.

If you want to think I'm a right-wing extremist go right ahead, I'm guessing anyone who disagrees with you is filed under the right wing extremist heading as well.

I've repeatedly stated I'm centrist on this site, if you feel that means I'm really right wing because I take issue with the lefties on this site then that's your problem.

Could you point out the abuse in my posts? Or is any criticism of the left abuse now?

Glazers Out!

What you've said there is a lie, why would you tell such an obvious lie? Oh yeah, trying to discredit what I said and by extension me personally.

Doing the thing while complaining about the thing, again.

People on the right always see themselves as the victim, it's their stock in trade, a rallying call to get behind.

I never see myself as a victim, but I will always challenge victimising posts wherever they spring from.

Attacking trans people is just the last publically acceptable scapegoat of the right. Its pathetic but it's also very dangerous as people are been physically assaulted as a consequence.

And I think of you read back through my posts I have not abused anyone , I have simply fed out just enough rope for people to hang themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,365 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Well, there were a couple of people saying that they were the victims of forcebale use of the term "cis" to refer to themselves as not being trans. Not to mention a certain teacher in Westmeath who's in the process of throwing away his career.

The problem being illustrarted is that "the right" - to paraphrase Shoog - see issues such as trans rights and gay rights (and to a lesser extent, women's rights) being forced upon them against their will in a rapidly changing society. They always speak of "agendas", but rarely know what the agendas actully are. To a certain extent, they have a point, but if you live in a democratic society, at some point you have to accept issues and rules you don't like because the majority do.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement

To claim i have abused anyone here is to claim victimhood.

At various times I have challenged people in such a way that by been honest in their reply they express their bigotry. At this point they usually get banned.

°°°°°

I think the people you're referring to (I can't say for certain for clarity) were likely leaning into that point to highlight a double standard.

As for the teacher in question, he's a crackpot from a long line of crackpots and isn't really a representation of the average person.

As you say there are some people who want things to go back to how they were in the old days, they're a small enough number in truth, what you'll find with most people (like myself for example) are certain issues that they don't agree with whilst being generally comfortable in a progressive society and have no axe to grind with LGBTQ people or ethnic minorities etc, the problems arise when the more militant left wing people here see you disagree with one thing they hold as important and then project all sorts of unsavory beliefs onto you. Case in point, I'm being told I'm right wing on this thread, which is news to me but it's supposedly a fact because the people saying feel it is.

Glazers Out!

°°°°°

Point is you can stick the boot in without becoming abusive. A lesson some would do well to learn.

Another point I would make is that I can quite easily respect a person's limits of tolerance if they don't expect those limits to be national policy. We all have our limits and we all deserve respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

So no examples then that you can point to regarding your posting record of pushing back against extreme rightwing views on this site? There's plenty of it here so if you are truly what you claim to be then it should be easy. The 'radical left' is just as weak in Ireland and on this site so that's no excuse.

Yes, people who on multiple topics spout extreme ring wing talking points or spends their time only attacking 'lefties' would mean that the only evidence is that they are either actually rightwing or are weirdly damaged in a way that makes them spend their time only taking issue only with left wing points of view. Words mean little when all actions are the opposite.

FYI, I've plenty of posts pushing back on both right wing and left wing topics - I'm more socially liberal and fiscally conservative so it tends to be broken down that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,365 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

No, the word "forced" was definiitely used. In any case, I just used both as examples because they were the most recent.

I think, to be fair, most don't want to go back to the old days and know how that makes it easy for abuses to be carried out and coverd up (and I'm not just talking about religion, here). They're more a case of keeping things they way they are now, because it works for them now. Of course, that doesn't mean it works for everyone.

As was once said: when you're used to privilege, equality is a step down.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

°°°°°

So what's the prognosis doc? Am I a terminal fascist?

Why do I need to satisfy your criteria for proving I'm not right wing? Some opinion you have of yourself there.

Glazers Out!

°°°°°

Well I could cite a few examples of people you would be in broad agreement with who have no issue being abusive or straight up lying.

There's bad eggs on all sides.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭deirdremf

I'm sorry, but that does not tell me anything of the sort. You'd need to explain why an act about bakers - or an act put forward by Mr/s FL Baker whoever he or she is, for that matter - has any relevance to the debate first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭deirdremf

We're talking about what a woman is. Someone suggested an "adult female". I further refined that with two X chromosomes, because that is the very definition of a female mammal.

What the American constitution say is irrelevant here for two reasons - 1 it's not a scientific but a legal document; and 2 this is an Irish website, so even if the Yanks define a woman as a having a penis in some circumstances, that has no legal bearing on us in Ireland.

But from a few comments you have made here, I'd guess that you are from the USA yourself. Please bear in mind that Irish people frequently work off a different mindset. And we have different laws too. A different constitution also.

As I said before I ain't no victim so your characterisation is way wide of the mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

I used a simile to illustrate the example? The second part of your statement doesn't make much sense.

the very definition of a female mammal.

Sorry, is what??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

This is what happens when non biologists try to do biology lol

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭briangriffin

There are many untruths in this post.

Tavistock ran one study in the 2 decades it was treating "trans kids" that study proved 98% of children given puberty blockers went on to have cross sex hormones and failed to follow up on how many of that 98% received surgery. If 98% go on to cross sex hormones then its reasnable to assume that many will have surgery - that same study was repressed by tavistock themselves and was only published after a high court injuction deemed it was in the public interest. Does that not raise alarm bells about the practices in Tavistock?

" it takes years of counselling" No it doesnt, whistle blowers and Dr Cass in her review have found that puberty blockers were given out prematurely - in cases after literally 1 or 2 counselling sessions - children were fasttracked for puberty blockers because advocacy groups like mermaids were claiming as people on here have been that children would commit suicide if they werent affirmed. mental health comorbidities were not explored fully and the affirmatitive model of care was adapted when dealing with these children.

So if children were granted puberty blokers prematurely and 98% of those on puberty blockers went on to cross sex hormones then that is a medical pathway for life tht these children are set on.

Affirmative care was adapted despite studies stating that 80% of gender questioning "trans" children revert to their natal sex following puberty. A fact Polly Carmichael the director of Tavistock was aware of and expressed her own doubts initially about the experimental treatments at Tavistock in the early 2010s. "The question is, if you halt your own sex hormones so that your brain is not experiencing puberty, are you in some way altering the course of nature?" ‘[T]he debate revolves around the reversibility of this intervention—physical and also psychological, in terms of the possible influence of sex hormones on brain and identity development’ She said this in 2010 and then oversaw tavistock and failed to monitor, record and follow up with thousands of children who he put through experimental treatment in her service.

Dr Hilary Cass who is tasked with reviewing all that happened in Tavistock has said “the most significant knowledge gaps” in the Tavistock’s treatment were of the impact of puberty blockers.

“We do not fully understand the role of adolescent sex hormones in driving the development of both sexuality and gender identity through the early teen years, so by extension we cannot be sure about the impact of stopping these hormone surges on psychosexual and gender maturation,” she wrote.

“We therefore have no way of knowing whether, rather than buying time to make a decision, puberty blockers may disrupt that decision-making process. A further concern is that adolescent sex hormone surges may trigger the opening of a critical period for experience-dependent rewiring of neural circuits underlying executive function (ie maturation of the part of the brain concerned with planning, decision-making and judgment).

“If this is the case, brain maturation may be temporarily or permanently disrupted by puberty blockers, which could have significant impact on the ability to make complex risk-laden decisions, as well as possible longer-term neuropsychological consequences.”

The narrative is not fantastical if a child questions their gender the parents contact the advocacy groups mermaids in UK and TENEI in Ireland - all of these groups have adapted the affirmative care model - social transition - puberty blockers - cross sex hormones then sex assignment surgery . Add in the social contagion that happens in schools with young children and you have the real problem for everyone. The clincher for most parents is being told their children will be suicidal if they do not affirm them.

The incredible narrative is how affirmative care came to be the model adaptated despite the science. The law suits will come and unfortuantely Irish children referred to Tavistock will be amongst them.

• Advertisement
    °°°°°

Excellent post.

Interested to see how this will be broken down as some sort of "anti trans rant".

Glazers Out!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement