Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukrainian refugees in Ireland - Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭Hamachi

It’s highly pertinent Donald. Those who fail to master the lingua Franca of this country have limited opportunity to ever become economically active. That’s relevant to me and every other Irish taxpaying citizen, who should expect, no demand, that those coming here, not be a burden on the exchequer.

So I’ll ask you for the third time Donald, what’s your view of the timeframe around English language acquisition?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 bulbhead2go

I've heard of one local place, and they where literally digging a basement into an existing building on the sly, just so as they could get more refugees in for the big bucks.

There are entire buildings and infrastructure being rapidly repurposed, not under government guidelines, no planning permission, just by private enterprise to get in on this gravy train while the goings good.

What we are witnessing is the logical conclusion to the feeding frenzy of the housing crisis, it simply wasn't enough, so now its gone to the next level. And it was allowed to happen.

It

Is

Out

Of

Control

• Registered Users Posts: 19,433 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

So I’ll ask you for the third time Donald, what’s your view of the timeframe around English language acquisition?

And I'll tell you for the second time that it is irrelevant.

How about we require some of the natives up in Letterkenny to also achieve "near native level of mastery of English". Undergraduate degree in English perhaps? Given we are talking about "mastery".

There are also plenty of Letterkenny natives with a self-selected and self-imposed "limited opportunity to ever become economically active" too.....although to be fair to them, part of it may be related to inherited genes rather than being wholly self-selected.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,010 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

where literally digging a basement into an existing building on the sly

Have heard of that yeah, sly basement construction.

Austrian company I think. Fritzl & Sons Ltd.

Those who fail to master the lingua Franca of this country have limited opportunity to ever become economically active

The amount of eastern European trades people that I know that would not be masters of "lingua Franca" says you are talking absolute bollíx.

• Advertisement

Oh that's hard to believe, is it?

With everything going on, you find it hard to believe that "entrepeneurs" are beyond such a thing?

A community facility queued up for more refugees and rather than have one floor of money making units, they wouldn't think of trying to get two?

Send me your bank details and passwords, I have a great opportunity for you. Don't worry about ignorance and naivety, I guarantee 100% I have a bridge to sell you, freshly painted.

I asked for your views on the expected cadence around language acquisition, such that incomers do not become a burden on the exchequer.

Your response is that Letterkenny people haven’t mastered their native language and an insinuation that they are genetically deficient.

I’ll just leave that there for people to read.

That’s the level of discourse Donald has to offer. An utterly pointless contributor whose entire raison d’etre is to roll around in the mud. I’ll let some of the good people of Letterkenny discuss that with you. I need a shower after this interaction.

Donegal daily "alleged planning breaches investigated at refugee centres". Check it out for yourselves.

If people don't think this sort of thing isn't happening wholesale across the country, I have a bridge for them too.

Elderly homes that are being closed *for entirely unrelated reasons to the migration crisis*, just so happen to be turning into migrant holding pens?

Ka-ching!

No, wouldn't happen in this country.

Speaking of rolling around in the mud, look who materializes without fail.

Boggles, you don’t know any trades people, Eastern European or otherwise. That’s evident to anybody who has the misfortune to read your posts.

Care to explain how your reference to Josef Fritzel has any relevance to this thread?

Actually, don’t bother. It’s Boggles..

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭thedart

Have an image of a livestock mart with pens mentioned.

• Advertisement

Not that I'd put a livestock pen beyond them at this point, I can't link the article on here properly, so I'll copy the text

"Donegal County Council is investigating another alleged breach of planning regulations in relation to refugee accommodation.

The latest case relates to works carried out at the former Village Court bar in Kilmacrennan.

Major renovations, it is alleged, were carried out there in recent months without planning permission.

It is believed the former pub now houses a number of Ukrainian refugees. 

“A case has been opened and is currently being investigated,” a council spokesperson confirmed to Donegal Daily.

Back in June, we also reported that the local authority is investigating an alleged breach of planning regulations at Orchard Crescent in Letterkenny.

Locals claimed that works were being carried out to change a storage area to refugee accommodation without planning permission.

The council is also investigating works at another premises in the town which is reportedly being done to accommodate refugees."

It's happening left, right and centre.

The council will be slipped a brown envelope that problem will be gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,891 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Plans for a residential development in Athlone have been put on hold for the time being, as the facility is expected to be used to provide temporary accommodation for people fleeing the war in Ukraine.

Recruitment process was starting this week to hire "30-plus" staff to work at the facility, with the available roles including cleaning assistants, night porters, catering service assistants and management positions, including a general manager and duty managers. Anyone interested in applying for positions may do so through: xxxxxxx@bxxxxall.ie

The entire migration-fuelled housing crisis has basically been one giant brown envelope.

This is the end game now, this is the last big hurrah of this country for the next decade+

The usual suspects are tripping over themselves to pack them in for that sweet, sweet money. Storage rooms, basements, tents, elderly homes, hotels, villages, towns and cities.

It's the last call on the housing crisis money, hurry along, all aboard now. Last call on a fumbling, stumbling country that held its head up high and shouted "free money!" to the entire world. Strap in.

Stop the world I want to get off. We can’t be dealing with hundreds of thousands of migrants.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

So we have gone from trying to ban developers hoarding houses and selling for huge profits and taxing them but giving them loopholes where they don't have to pay any.

Then paying them 140-150k per apartment with no condition that any discount actually comes at the point of sale.

Now we are going to pay them to not build or halt current projects to house people from Ukraine.

Mad Ted

🙈

All we are witnessing now is the exact same thing that has been happening for years upon years. It just has a shot of steroids right now because its the last call on the country, that desperation for the last bit of cash is up for grabs.

Every year that the government's said they were building X amount of houses to alleviate the housing crisis, they were inviting X amount of migrants to essentially negate the building. Hence, measurabpy worse every year than the last.

It is an entirely accurate and fair analogy that the government could have been building housing in Indonesia for all the good it was doing. "Look at all these housing developments in Indonesia that we've funded with your money, isn't that what you wanted, people of Ireland?"

There's nothing new here, it's just on its last hysterical legs, balls to the wall now blatant, and, yes, the emperor is in his nip, like he always has been.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

People will bury their head in the sand and only believe what suits their agenda.

The hotel beside me which is housing Ukrainians was not fit to open as a hotel before the Ukrainians arrived. It was a glorified wine bar at best as it would of cost a fortune to make it fit to accommodate tourists and the likes. Hey presto when the refugees landed all was good.

When the money runs out in this country (YOUR money, at the behest of the government), and that's coming like a freight train, the lamh will be held out to the EU to fund the landlords of migrants, and the money will keep rolling to them.

You can bet your last penny on it. The government has, after all.

You appear to not know many people.

I don't know how one could concoct the nonsense that you can't be economically active unless you have mastered English.

It's a very dim witted view of not just people, but reality in general.

Points towards a very sheltered privileged life. Next level snobbery all though you do have form for it on here, aren't you the one boasting constantly about how much you earn? More figment than fact but either way hardly a great look.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Liath Luachra

know of a convent, listed building, hastily converted to dormitory type accomodation - no planning application, no conservation officer to monitor works. Families in old border dormitories with a curtain or partition between strangers. neither direct provision or intake of Ukrainians will cease when it is so profitable.

No I completely believe, basements are the easiest most cost effective way to extend any property. That's why they are the most popular extension type in Ireland. 👍️

The irony of you introducing Josef Fritzl into the discussion and the referring to another poster as ‘dim witted’ is lost on you, isn’t Boggles?

This is a poster who thinks it’s possible to be a functional member of Irish society without speaking English.

As I said earlier, it’s Boggles..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

The Ballyvaughan one is also strange. They are living in a space that can fit them but the sewage is a concern?...does that mean the town assumes the hotel is never going to operate at full capacity? The surrounding area has a bunch of holiday homes too. It seems like the sewage system was living on borrowed time.

I live about 20 minutes from the village. Our primary school was being threatened with losing a teacher next year and possible shutdown within 5 years. There is another school about 15 minutes from us in the same situation and another school about 10 minutes from us that is apparently at capacity. Why not invite them to the 2 other schools and provide a bus service? I'd be other schools around The Burren are calling out for kids.

The GP is a fair one but for some reason any time I have gone in there, there has only been the 1 Dr working. Last time I needed a Dr, I ended up going to Kinvara plus in Kinvara they do blood works every day rather than 3 days a week so logistically, it might be a better choice for anyone in a position to drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Where is the health and safety inspections that held up and cost a fortune to make buildings suitable before all this.

Hang now, lets return those goal posts.

Those who fail to master the lingua Franca of this country have limited opportunity to ever become economically active

So do you stand by that statement?

It's the easiest without drawing notice, yes.

And you're still on the "I don't believe you" train despite me printing out the text of a news article that states illegal pubs and storage units and so forth are being investigated for housing migrants by the shovelful?

Historically, there are few basement buildings in Ireland....ergo....there isn't anyone building a basement in Ireland to house migrants. Really? THAT is your line of defence against reality? For real?

You're the type of a person that were a tennis ball be held in front of your face, told it was a tennis ball, demonstrated it was a tennis ball, watched an entire tennis match played in Wimbledon with said ball, you'd still state with confidence "that's not a tennis ball".

Well, you'll burn on your insipid hill of ignorance, and you will admit the truth in the end when the flames are up to your neck.

In your good time, backup your statement I responded to

where literally digging a basement into an existing building on the sly

• Registered Users Posts: 19,433 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

How ironic.

You try to hide your bigoted views behind a thin veil of concern around people not being able to speak English, and yet you yourself don't have the ability to read and comprehend my post.

Morto for ya!

• Advertisement

Just waiting on your bank details and passwords, my friend. Chop chop.

Once I have access, I'll bend over backwards to prove a tennis ball is a tennis ball to you.

I have a team of the worlds greatest minds ready to aid you out of your shockingly poor attempts at plead ignorance.

I know you're a genuine guy, living in number 1 Legitimate Street, Justaskingquestions Town, just the bank details are all I need.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement