Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best apprenticeship to do

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

You will never earn money without some effort. 

Absolutely.

But some jobs are significantly better paying and much easier than others.

In think case OP will have 2 jobs. Farming and something else.

They better make sure one is paid, pensionable and easy so they have the money and energy to farm.

I see a lot of careers here suggested as suitable, by people who I don't think have ever actually done or seen behind the scene's of the jobs they are suggesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,664 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

He has indicated he wants some in a trade line. He is not interested in indoor/ office work.

Trades are fairly limiting.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 38 scotty_golf9

😂😂not a bad shout tbf, my boss says “a clean job is a happy job” so we always look after ourselves👍🏼

• Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Currently heading into my third year pipefitting apprenticeship at the moment i was working with a fairly large reputable company until Christmas but left as i wasnt getting enough time on the tools im with a smaller local firm now and ive learned more this month and got more hands on experience in the trade than i did in my time with the last crowd. I initially wanted to do plumbing myself but came across the pipefitting one at the time and went for it and have no regrets about it yet. Its a relatively new trade as the apprenticeship was only launched in 2016 and theres not a massive amount of lads taking it up either from what i gather. Most lads at it these days are either qualified plumbers or fabricators so youd be pulling from a fair pool of experience if you went down this route. Youd be fairly handy after it and can branch out into a few things after it. You can do welding courses where after 6 months you might be qualified to weld pipe but youd have little experience after it and most lads want lads to fit and weld altough the welding course is a stspping stone starting out.

Both big companies and small companies have their pros and cons, most likely if you go to a big company i.e suir/mercury/jones youll be sent to Intel it will be handy enough there the moneys good but when youre out of youre time or work dries up up there youll be institutionalised and find it hard to work anywhere else for a while after.

Every tom dick and harry seems to be doing electrical or plumbing these days and the wait times are massive for off the job training regardless of trade but those two are worst affected, i myself was told if i was extremely lucky id be called this summer but realistically it will be December or January before im called ill have been about 30 months in phase1 by theb. Thats something to be aware of for the moment theres a lot of bodies ahead of you in the queue at the moment

If i was to go back again i would probably go for the MAMF (Mechanical Automation and Maintenence Fitting) as its a much broader area of work you could go down the route of maintainence on a factory close to home or you could end up working off shore on an oil rig or windfarm or even keeping a fleet of ships ticking over. Plenty of nixxers with any mechanical trades too but would not reccomend mechanicing.

My main bit of advice for you at the moment is get away from the farm for a while itll be there when you come back. Go work in England for the summer or even Scandinavia or The Continent plenty of work going on up there and open youre mind to new things, i regret not doing thar when i was 20, i went to England farming that was middling at best calving cows outdoors in all weather September to November i should have gotten a train for London after that but instead i came home to slobber around calving cows again and I had to travel the whole way to New Zealand to realise how the other half lives

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

That leaves the the tester/certifier open to liability for any mistakes made by the installer. Big risk I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

I did it a good few times when I was a REC

ESB guys or contractors twisting my arm, always someone hassling you for certs

• Registered Users Posts: 12,502 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

My nephew didn't take the day off to get his leaving results he has already started his apprentiship. The value of the leaving cert is changing.

You do not need to take a day off they are online. My son was working 10 years ago part-time. My wife collected his results and she dropped them.out to him.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 12,502 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

But you forgetting the meeting up with friends aspect wondering how everyone else did, when your future is sorted the results probably have less meaning.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Silverdream

Daughter got 589 points in the leaving as is considering doing going the apprentice route as she won't get accommodation in college or will she get a grant. Not a pile of stuff out there for Girls to do. She's currently working in Dunnes stores so may continue there for the next while.

• Advertisement

He did that after work that evening. You made the point that the LC was devalued as you nephew was unwilling to take a day off to collect his results.

Are you a long distance from any third level college. At those points she should have her pick of courses. Was there a good mix of subjects( science and maths subjects)

Slava Ukrainii

Good mix of subject but mainly maths stuff she liked, she wanted to do electronics but we are an hour and a half from UL, no bus in west Clare so it's staying away from home is the only option. We are not even high earners just both parents working but really only getting by.

No grant + no accom doesn't really inspire someone to do the college route

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,314 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

There are distance learning options for instance the Open University offers a very wide range of subjects as do many other colleges and institutions. If Dunnes puts money in her pocket while studying go for it. Most of those distances learning courses will gain her credit when does finally get around to college.

Encourage her to do some kind of course. Once people fall out of the habit of studying it’s hard to go back.

Ya Clare is one of those places badly served by third level. There is not third level institute in Ennis.

Limerick was not the most expensive for third level but prices have increased substantially over the last 3-4 years. Not sure what the campus accomodation costs are now. There is a lot of off campus accomodation but quality can be very poor

Slava Ukrainii

No accommodation under €250/week to be got in limerick or Galway and thats still well off campus. Nothing much in Clare for girls in the line of apprentice, unless she wants to do a Childminding course in Ennis or Dog grooming in Kilrush

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭fabo1thecross

The mamf apprenticeship is a great one. Mechanical automation maintenance fitter. Its broad enough so when qualified your competent in many many fields. 27 years one myself and never out of work.

And as for the heavy donkey work, them days are mostly gone now with the health and safety side of things.

Or electrician

Be aware of color blindness, problem for these trades.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭dh1985

Another option might be to get into a multinational. Go in as an operator and work up from there. They all have good opportunities to progress and will fund further education part time thru apprenticeship programs or the likes of springboard. Would be opportunities on manufacturing engineering, operations, sciences or quality. It would be a bit of a gamble and depends on a person's ability but with a leaving cert with near 600 points she obviously has the ability to thrive in a nurturing environment

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Apprenticeship with nearby ESB, Moneypoint, might be worth checking out with the above in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭The Nutty M

GE in Shannon could be a good place for her to look. Automation / Instrumentation. Not rough work like an electrician but along the same lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Pinsnbushings

+ 1 I think this is a fantastic way to go and if I was back again I'd definitely have done an apprenticeship rather than go to college. If she gets into a multinational they may well fund her to continue onto degree level in engineering as she clearly has the ability.

There is an apprenticeship in manufacturing engineering which is quiet broad and lots of great companies are running that. Bother brother here qualified from ucd as a manufacturing engineer, worked his way up then and earning 6 figures per year now.

Friend of mine went back at nearly 30 to do MAMF apprenticeship and has gotten into a pharmaceutical now, 66k salary and he says the heaviest tool he lifts is a no. 8 spanner. Definitely wouldn't be set on the college route particularly if interested in electronics.

• Advertisement

Mamf is probably the best of em,in terms of earning potential,and massively protected unionwise.....though lads doing electrical in factories make fierce money....I know of in one factory,after 5 years,they make 85K per annum (admittedly shift work etc at times which is a balls)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Definitely wouldn't be set on the college route particularly if interested in electronics.

College is fairly critical to progress in those pharmaceutical companies though.

I'd argue its of more value than an apprenticeship.

Every apprentice wants to turn white collar eventually

Heard during the week of a MAMF apprentice taking home over €500/week in one of the meat plants and thats a standard 39hr week i believe as they average out the wage over the four years as opposed to increases every two years. I was getting €520 take home as a second year (pipefitting) for a 48hr week last year which was the minimum amount of hours expected out of us. The problem with the MAMF lads is they become institutionalised if they stay in the one factory doing the one job the whole time. There is a fella working with us who trained in MAMF and he left the local Glanbia plant after his time as he hated it there as everyone was so institutionalised there he reckons hes on a better number working C2 now however he wont have the pensions and whatever else Glanbia offer.

Better living everyone

Factory work is not for everyone,I've had plenty of offers of jobs at it from doing some stuff for contractors,and the money is simply eye-watering......but as said institutionalised is the word,and just looks soul destroying from lads I know that do it and see from being in/around em....but money is unreal

But money's not everything either,and wouldn't suit with the farm,shift work would kill off trying to get through nixers for parts etc,nor do i particularly like prospects of weekends/being on call.....plus a horrible attitude permeates through alot of factories in town.....

maybe if I was older and really needed the money,I'd do a few years,but doubtful

Ye I'd agree, but if financing college is a problem, It's easy enough progress from electrical apprenticeship or manufacturing apprenticeship on to an electrical or automation engineer for example..it may take an extra2-3 years but if starting at 18 it's hardly a big deal..an in all likelihood the company will fund your college education too.

In my view you will make a far better rounded person and employee by working your way up and it will stand to you long term..I see far too many people come out with mickey mouse business,management, arts, even engineering degrees, where the content could be learned in 6 months. These young people come out with expectations way above there abilities in my view, when in reality they have an enormous amount to learn about work and common sense to be Frank.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭dh1985

All aspects of your last paragraph are right on the button. Seeing it even with a lot of the engineering degrees lads are qualifying in in the last few years. Pure muck. Has really diluted down the value of a degree to be honest

The unfortunate thing is in a lot of cases the people tasked with employing people have come through similarly wishy washy HR courses..

That bloody HR/PR crap, i was working on a project a while back and if you were to believe the companys social media you would think everything was running like clockwork while in fact it was just an organised shitshow. Non qualified lads down from The North getting top dollar and not even capable of reading a tape, massive hours, a higher up from said company kicking a higher up from the clients side, an absolute prick in H&S who was so useless in life all he could amount to was going around hanging lads actually doing a bit and then despite all the talk of health and safety and great working conditions Saturdays and any time after 5 during the week was a free for all do what ye like just dont get hurt. Im sure HR has some part to play but again i reckon most of it is wishy washy stuff like you said.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭2018na

Reading through the thread it makes me wonder. What level of money are people going to need to earn. I am a carpenter of 32 years having left school in 1990. It’s my passion so I am successful enough at it. Have very little bills cause I live in my original home place and have never had to rent or buy. Currently take home 1100 per week after earning 1000 a week take home for around 15 years without a raise. Extra €100 was to cover diesel costs. More or less nothing to spare at the end of the month. My suggestion for an apprentice to make money is plumbing

• Advertisement

€1000/week take home isnt bad going either to be fair ill be on the fringes of it in a few months as a third year its the most earning potential ill have had in this country ever. Everyones told me youll quickly adjust youre lifestyle to what wage youre on however i saw a fells on Tik Tok last week who was saying that was the biggest downfall of fellas going off to FIFO work as there wage more than doubles the FIFO work dries up and you end up being used to the high wage lifestyle living off a standard wage again.

Better living everyone

Advertisement