Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Young voters' view of the Troubles on the island of Ireland.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

I don't particularly like Sinn Fein and as a northerner myself I don't believe they have particularly helped the cause of unifying Ireland, but I likewise don't agree with the all-out vilification piled on them by a political class in the South who could comfortably preach peace and love once their own subjugation had ended and the headache of the demographics of Ulster (and the inevitably more bitter nature of that society) was somebody else's problem to handle. Easy to sit in Dublin and lambast people who grew up in a State that hated them, ostracised them and effectively allowed Loyalist mobs to engage in pogroms against them. Easy to criticise people who reacted to the situation around them, in good ways or evil ways, when you are not faced with that situation yourself. Easy to say how differently you would have acted as 17 year old working class boy in a militarised environment.

Fíanna Fáil , Fine Gael and Sinn Fein have all bathed in blood in their histories — and neither of FF/FG have disowned the blood on their hands. They have in fact clung to the legacy of those who spilled the blood of others and used terror and brutality to achieve their political aims.

So before people try to explain away the greater popularity of Sinn Fein these days by suggesting it's because young people just don't "get" the Troubles, maybe it's more so the case that young people are reacting to the failure of successive FF and FG governments to address inevitable / persistent issues in this country (and in FF's case, their slowness to take the initiative on social issues). Maybe young people today, like the young Irish people in the generations before them who were willing to accept changed times since the Civil War — and not expecting FF or FG to account for and justify one-by-one every single death they caused and whether such and such was justified — are simply willing to accept that we don't need to pick the bones of the past and forever point fingers over who-done-what back in extreme times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭bad2thebone

The biggest problem with the Shinners is they're going for broke by going woke.

My grandfather came from a generation of freedom fighters from Wexford, he hated Sinn Fein, Fine Gael and Fiana Fail etc

He said if the Shinners ever get into power they'll create a communist style state where it'll be worse than the imperialists of long ago. They like control and chaos he said.

He told me about the whole Soviet thing that went on with a labour style short revolution too but that was buried by the media. Although it went by word of mouth throughout the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,769 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Gerry Adams blog on the subject from 2014 would give you the answer to that question.

It is a real insight into what they did, and the horrific justifications that they created in their own minds. The defence of vigilante justice is nauseating. However, what is most interesting about the piece is that it has disappeared off Gerry's own blog, and it is copies that others have put up that keep it available to the public.

It is a bit like SF deleting all its press releases supporting Putin.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

i think you'll find thats the workers party who then became Labour

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭political analyst

People whose homes are repossessed still have to pay the balance of the mortgage. People who have to leave rented accommodation can start again elsewhere without debt.

• Advertisement

And what do you think would've happened if the British military had been withdrawn from Northern Ireland in 1974?!

They were innocent in the eyes of the law on both sides of the border on this island.

British military and RUC personnel who were killed in the Troubles were innocent.

The Irish government wasn't in a position to prevent loyalist violence against Catholics in Northern Ireland. Do you really think that an incursion by the Irish Defence Forces across the border would have helped?! How do you think the British military would have reacted?!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,096 ✭✭✭Odhinn

No, they were enemy combatants in the conflict.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

I'll never understand those who think young people don't know about / understand history. We do. It's the past. The absolute horsesh1t government that is eroding all possibilities for young people (once again) is present and it's enough to turn your stomach, and that is why we vote SF. If they don't make it better, I don't care - it can't get much worse, and I'm sick of the current bunch of unregistered landlords running the country into the ground with absolute impunity.

Like yeah, FFFGG are not physically killing us, but the sheer negligence of this government is indefensible and it is actively eroding the quality of life (never mind the independence) of young people, so it really is a no-brainer - we're never going to vote for them. For me, that's all there is to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,466 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

For young people who dont know the history of the PIRA, they should follow this account for a few months. It gives context to many of the PIRA attrocities.

Now, who is going to argue that kidnapping children, beating them up and making them carry bombs in a tractor is somehow for 'Irish Freedom'?

Would you say the same for off-duty UDR, RUC, Gardai, and Prison service officers on both sides of the border? Because the PIRA targeted and killed all of them, both on duty and off duty.

Interesting theory to see gaurds put into same category as the UDR

Finally some light being shone upon the esteem,they should be held in,it seems.......would by your logic,say that IRA members shouldn't been murdered/arrested/homes raided,while they weren't on active service....or deos your concern about "off-duty" only flow one way?

I had no idea that a war was conducted solely in normal workhours.

The PIRA killed a number of Gardai, Irish prison officers and Irish Defence forces personnel.

Were/are they legitimate targets in your view?

Well,your the one categorising em along side the UDR,noone else

As I said,an interesting categorisation,one worthy of further investigation/discussion on the troubles

Aren't the special branch generally believed to have killed that soldier,in a friendly fire incident,hence why army refuses ever since to do joint patrols with armed guards??

Was it 2 or 3 other civilians they shot that time by accident up around Leitrim?

So its a 'war' now? When did this 'war' start and end, and who elected the leaders of both sides?

Nice to know that the murders of Gardai, Irish Prison officers and Irish Defence forces personnel was all ok, because there was a 'war' going on.

Is this one of your stories again?

It's nice though that you don't answer the question when push comes to shove.

Because you know that if you answer truthfully, you will be found out in your web of 'whataboutism'.

Anyway, at the end of the day, the PIRA saw the Gardai and Irish Defence Forces as the enemy as well because they refused to acknowledge this state right up to the end.

Of course it was a war, between the Republicans and the British state, the sectarian Northren statelet.

• Advertisement

Hard answer qs,when yous refuse extend critism to murder/arrest/raid of IRA members when they as you like to say "off duty",but demand everyone comply with your condemnation of IRA doing same

Looks hypocritical to me anyway

The fact your unaware of what went on in Leitrim that time,and presenting yourself as an infallible expert,is one of the glorious things about the internet,seeing yous getting rinsed with facts & logic everyday just increases the lolz.....

Tell me,did one person,whom gaurds shot that time at a checkpoint end up blind ,and had gaurds call round to intimidate them from giving interviews??

Your happy enough to bring up the gaurds and prison guards,and categorisation them with the UDR,no point in running from subjects,you brought into the discussion and start screaming whataboutism,when you dislike how it turned out

When did this war start and end, or is it still going on?

Who voted for the leaders of both sides?

The fact your unaware of what went on in Leitrim that time,and presenting yourself as an infallible expert,is one of the glorious things about the internet,seeing yous getting rinsed with facts & logic everyday just increases the lolz.....

What went on in Leitrim? Links, please.

Hard answer qs,when yous refuse extend critism to murder/arrest/raid of IRA members when they as you like to say "off duty",but demand everyone comply with your condemnation of IRA doing same

I'm not the one trying to excuse the wanton murder of civilians, Gardai, Irish Defence Forces, women and children by a terrorist group who failed in their primary objective. Sometimes you have to call a spade a spade.

You're being laughable at this stage. The conflict started in the late 1960's and essentially ended with the Good Friday agreement.

Why have you a problem calling it a war?

So you can call a spade a spade but not a war a war?

You mean,you weren't refering,that army person killed during troubles??lolz

Except of course,your happy to categorise them along side the UDR,we have a fair measure of yous,accusing everyone of all sorts,while lining up to gain sympathy for dead UDR and ruc members.....

whom yous of course don't view as equal to gaurds,and are happy to seen IRA killers of ruc members released under the gfa....but not same given to killers of that gaurd above in Limerick.....looks hypocritical to me anyway....

labeling anyone defending their communities from attack as a terrorist group is a nice touch from someone whom places gaurds and UDR in same category 🥲

Well it wasn't really a war, it was perhaps an irregular war to be more correct.

The idea I reject calling it a traditional war is because there was no mandate given to the PIRA.

Any link to the incident that happened in Leitrim?

labeling anyone defending their communities from attack as a terrorist group is a nice touch from someone whom places gaurds and UDR in same category

Was killing Gardai and Irish Defence Forces also part in parcel of the need to defend your community? Many PIRA members came from the south, what were they defending their community from? Say men like Marin Ferris who came from Kerry or Dessie Ellis who came from Dublin?

The best description would probably be an asymmetrical war between the British state and a non-state actor.

• Advertisement

Your honesty unaware of this killing,but mention it roughly 10 times a day,during your 17 hour posting spurts??

I believe it's was operation santa Claus,with Garda team rather humourously named Rudolph (I honestly do appreciate this type of humour😁)

The defence force killing wasn't part of IRA activity?....need look closer to the group's you categorise with the UDR there lad

Surely it's reasonable for anyone in South to want to help defend nationlists in the north,given its short skip for most,and everyone has someone living there

,not everyone is willing to sit on their hands and watch entire streets of nationlists burnt out and demand anyone defend it be labeled all sorts to appease the english

Advertisement