Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching electric/gas providers (see first post for links)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 leaveitwithme

If you are on a 24hr meter and are looking at electricity only plan, this looks the best value for the first 12 months inc the future price increase. I'm still in the cooling off period on the same plan but think I will stick with them, can't see anything better elsewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I phoned up there and was told I cant get it because I am on a "standard 24 hour meter" and I need to phone ESB to change it to MCCO2 meter ?!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,501 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Are we due an increase from Energia? They're slightly cheaper than BGE new rates

BTW, switcher is far better than bonkers for showing the new rate

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Patsy167

I'm very tempted to switch to the fixed rate Energia plan. It looks to me like an error on their part and an easy shout for bargain of the year for anyone that gets it.

I've two months left on my Electric Ireland contract so if I switch now they will reclaim the €150 welcome bonus and a further €52 break clause fee.

I'm still tempted to go ahead with the move as it will more than pay off for itself. Would I be mad to switch?

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Sam the Sham

Not an error. They’ve had a fixed-rate EV plan for years. What may be an error is keeping it in place in the current context. I could see them getting rid of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Rule nothing out in the current climate and I would include Energia also breaching the fixed price ev contract also as phone companies have been doing for the last few years. Energia's headline rates have traditionally been higher but people have stayed with them as they have offered good retention discounts at renewal time.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

I've just looked at the Energia EV plan and when you try to select it, it only shows plans with the usual percentage discount? Not fixed...

https://www.energia.ie/plans-and-switching-info/ev

• Registered Users Posts: 25,071 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Still there, you need to select day/night on upper right

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Berberis

Is it a big job to get your meter changed to a day night meter.

Currently have a smart meter with bills showing MCCO1 24 hr metre. If I did get meter changed would that mean I have to use only day/night tarrifs or can I still go with either type plans without having to have the meter changed back to 24 MCCO1 meter.

Only 2 of us in the house now since the Childers flew the best, so not sure if cheaper night tarrifs would be better for us

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Oh....our meter was changed to a smart one last year. Assume the EV plan is not avaliable to us then without changing to a day/night meter (at a cost)?

Its the fixed unit rate that attracts us. Unlike all the other deals where only the level of discount is locked on for the contract period.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,342 ✭✭✭mojesius

I was about to switch via Bonkers to Bord Gais from Energia. Looks like I'm better off (at least in short term) sticking with Energia due to the recent BG price hike. Has anyone on here managed to get any decent retention discount offers with Energia recently? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭KildareP

That's exactly what I'm thinking may happen. There is no way they can supply energy at those rates when the wholesale market has gone to pot and all indications is there is far worse to come over the next 12 months.

If they pull the plan then they are only obliged to release you from any contract without paying €50, consumers have no comeback or means that I can see in the T&C's to hold them to the full contract duration and quoted pricing.

And, if they truly can somehow supply at those rates, why are their smart meter plans so horrendous in comparison?

What are the stats on people moving energy supplier's annually? At one stage more people were getting divorced each year than moving bank. Inertia is never in the consumer's interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Gooser14

I read somewhere that 63% of Electric Ireland customers have never switched. Apparently when the Late Late Show audience were asked the question last night a similar percentage indicated they never switched supplier.

Not surprising really. I know my parents have never switched and have the same phone provider since day one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

We've switched pretty much every year. We sold our previous property in 2019 and had to trace back a few years of our energy bills. Our solicitor couldn't believe that we had switched every year (it was a lot more work for him), he said he hadn't switched in years. So I do think there are a lot of people out there that don't bother switching.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,071 ✭✭✭✭zell12

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭babyducklings1

I’d say this is true my elderly parents said they’d never move from the ESB as they still call it, due to the hassle they think is involved. Though I’d say this year a lot more people will be moving and looking around for better deals and new customer discounts. It’s a bit of a maze trying to navigate the different rates though.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

The best retention offer Energia offered me was a 30% discount, another poster here last week said they got 37% but I wasnt getting that offer when I rang up a few days later, he said 30% was their upper limit and new customers are only getting 27%. Energias discount used to be 41% off the standard rates up until about a week ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 BigPineapple

Kinda new to this part trying to help the parents out. What's the story with getting the day and night meter from 24hr meter. They are with EI at the moment on 24hr meter and getting shafted royally at their rate and taking into consideration of upcoming increases.

Is it simply calling EI now to come and change the meter?? Any one any idea how long that will take from experience?

Then once the meter is in place, is it as simple as switch over to Energia EV plan?

Side note for anyone who might not be aware. Normally i switch every year because there are better deals around. This year is a little bit more difficult to predict. I was with BG last year until August and my contract had expired. BG called before it expired and offer me a rate of 22% because I'm an existing customer (I think 22% from memory, definitely in the 20's) and they won't do any better than that. However if you actually go to their website and instead of clicking on Best Dual Fuel Plan which shows for new customer only. You choose Compare Our Plans and it give you option to choose Existing Customer and this give you option of 39% for Electricity and Gas for existing customer. Even taking into account of the upcoming price increase, they still work out the best rate for me. So for once, there is a slightly hidden option to stick with the same provider and be treated with a new customer rate

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Fishdoodle

Is it simply calling EI now to come and change the meter?? Any one any idea how long that will take from experience?

Youd ring EI and they’d arrange the new meter with ESB Networks. Can’t find any further info, but there is a charge involved and I think your standing charge could increase a bit per year. Overall, with increased night use, works out better value.

I’d start from there anyhow and when the work gets done (not sure how long), work from there on switching. Plans are changing all the time so no guarantee you’ll get what you see today … you just do your best for what’s possible in the present.

Post edited by Fishdoodle on

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭sue97

We are currently with Bord Gais

Our Electricity usage is between 4,500 last 12 months and 5,500 kWh the previous 12 months

Gas was 9,600 last 12 months and 12,500 the previous 12 months.

We are on a standard price plan with a 24 hour meter

We are getting solar panels for water installed in the autumn.

I had a look at switcher.ie and it recommended Energia home connect.

Bonkers.ie recommended Green Future Dual Fuel 42/35 - 2 year contract.

Has anyone any advice on this please?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I am trying to help a neighbour. He ran up big arrears, switched to BGE who installed a pre payment meter. He has now paid back all the arrears. What's the best way for him to save money ?

That green future deal is with Flogas ….high enough unit rate (30.09 electricity). Plus 2year contract …I’d forget about it.

what’s your current unit rate discount with board gais? When is your contract up?

Here’s what I do re. research - Stick with bonkers for now- when doing the comparison select ‘I have just moved in and do not have a supplier’ -forget about how much you use in your instance. Select NO for cash back results / Select NO for Only show tariffs available for sign up?.

Energia comes out top at the moment (but price increase likely to happen soon) Depending on your situation , I’d either switch soon OR wait things out till the cold really starts to set in and see if any provider announces a winter price freeze.

Find out how much he is paying p. Unit , see if there’s a better deal.

Have decent insulation - attic -drought seals on doors. See if he can save on other utilities (phone/insurance) and money saved in other areas to offset rising fuel costs.

It’s a pretty broad question so depends on a lot of factors, esp where money is being unnecessarily spent/ where money invested in house could save.

sorry I should have also mentioned that off the main energy providers Energia are the only ones who have yet to put their prices up so be aware that they will have a price rise coming shortly, perhaps as soon as tomorrow but likely in the next week or two. If you are electricity only and have a day/night meter then look a page or two back on the thread for details of Energias EV plan (you dont need to prove you have an EV) which is offering fixed rates at decent enough prices for 12 months.

Do you know what unit rate he is paying with the pre pay meter? Because with Prepay Power these pre pay meters are eye wateringly expensive, like almost 50 cents for a day unit. If BG are similar you need to get him off that pre pay meter and back to a normal one as the rates are more reasonable. Check out the T&Cs though as I know with Prepay Power a few years back they charged customers 200 euro to remove their meter which is a major barrier to getting rid of it but doing so will get you cheaper electricity.

Also know that the main power companies offer a vulnerable persons scheme that he might qualify for, this is Energias one https://www.energia.ie/getmedia/e4f970ab-c8b8-48ea-9279-e7cb4c113e17/3520-Energia-Vulnerable-Customers-Nov-21.pdf.aspx;?ext=.pdf

There is an option there for the bill to go to a third person so they can help him manage his costs.

The main thing you can do for him though is to ensure he switches supplier every 12 months, set an alarm on your phone to remind yourself his contract is up. Thats the only way he can be sure he paying the cheapest prices possible becasue if he doesnt switch company then his contract will revert to the standard rates which are huge right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭sue97

Thank you so much Fishdoodle, no discount and no contract with Bord Gais at the minute. I did negotiate a 12 month deal but it's well up at this stage

Energia Grow Dual Fuel Bundle coming out the cheapest. Bord Gais 39/39 is 300 euro more expensive but the next supplier based on value after Energia

• Advertisement

What are u paying per unit at present? And/or what’s your discount % ?

Advertisement