Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Property and inheritance taxes should be raised, says State’s commission on tax and welfare

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,049 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Precisely. Not a cent. But if death duties are raised, that might not be the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,523 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Obviously the poster would also never have accepted any State-provided services either. The services that taxes pay for

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭deirdremf

Green energy, is that what it's called when you outlaw harvesting Irish bogs to make peat briquettes, but allow them to be brought in from Estonia where apparently it's ok to harvest bogs; and then spend loadsa money I mean energy on transporting them to Ireland - all in the name of fossil fuel reduction!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

There's a Trotskyite element in Revenue, regards any form of wealth as greed and it should be taxed and redistributed. They especially hate inherited wealth. As an aside, I know of one guy who availed of the dwelling house exemption... 4M house in Blackrock... Tax free.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Your example completely contradicts your statement........

• Advertisement

I'm saying they do look carefully into any claim for the exemption.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Again the myth that hard work results in financial rewards. Some of the hardest working people in Ireland will always be in financial difficulty e.g. carers.

What do you mean "cream money"??

Their salaries, T & C's are a matter of public knowledge. Do you just think they are paid too much?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭bluedex

I know, mad isn't it? The Greens will only be happy when we go back to the stone age.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Why do you think you deserve significantly more than a teacher?

Me?

No, I'm not, currently. I have been a public sector employee, a private sector employee and self employed. I'm currently working in the private sector.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Ellie2008

On the one hand there i think that inherited wealth is unfair. On the other I look at all the unfairness within the system in this country and it makes me far far less inclined to want to pay more tax.

For starters there’s the bloated public sector & the pissing away of public monies - National Children’s Hospital. And the public sector defined benefit pension which the levy doesn’t come close to covering. I don’t know anyone in the private sector with a DB pension.

I, and I’m sure the vast majority of people, support social welfare so long as it’s for those who are in genuine need not those who do not want to work and my perception of the system is that there are a sizeable minority of people in it who don’t want to work.

Life working and paying for childcare is bloody hard. My father died of an illness partly brought on by work stress. If whatever money I eventually get from his estate is more heavily taxed I strongly resent that it will be funding such a flawed system.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,959 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

Just as a total percentage of total income, I cannot agree with the government taking over 50% of your earnings for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭conorhal

I swear to God, the wildly enthusiastic cheerleaders for a return to medievil serfdom need to have an a*hole tax of 99% applied to them if they're that antagonistic towards wealth creation.

My Grandparents at best had a primary education (except 1 grandmother that went to secondary school, which was not free at the time)

My dad was the first in his family to go to college, my mum has a secondary eduction.

Within three generations, through the sweat and labour of my parents and grandparents my family has gone from farm labourers down the country and tennement dwellers in inner city dublin to a generation able to afford a relativley comfortable middle class existence with a roof over our own head.

My family owe that kind of advancement to nobody but their own kin and the cheerleaders for the 'financial Pol Pot approach' that sees every generations economic counter reset to 0 can go and spin. Get off your ass and work to ensure your kids lives will be better than yours, not worse. And most importantly, demand a government that allows you to aspire to make your children's lives better then yours rather than one intent on destroying inter-generational wealth for the benefit of their financial masters.

The pervasive attitude from some that nobody should accrue wealth and pass it on, because all you get is a generation that sits on its ass and does nothing, stifling innovation is patently untrue. The old adage that 'it takes money to make money' is very true. Innovation has always come from the middle and upper classes with the time to spend on education, starting a business and innovating to grow it, not from those struggling from bill to bill. The notion that a serf nation builds anything but wealth for its masters is ludicrous and who will better manage the health, wealth and future of your family better than your family? Not the government, that's for sure, they seem hell bent on ensuring that each generation will be poorer than the previous one and in that regard they are succeeding.

Post edited by conorhal on

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭MakersMark

A message to the few folks on here that get up in the morning for work...tell your TDs that you won't stand for this confiscation of your already taxed income.

Taxing my family on post taxmoney that I choose to give them won't be tolerated.

The perpetually lazy just keep putting their hands out for more.

Same with the ultra ineffective and inefficient public service.

Tell your TDs that if they want your vote they need to nip this communist nonsense in the bud.

Compare the salary of teachers in Isle of Man.

I know a guy, full-time teacher, late 50s. He earns under GBP 30K

• Advertisement

I fully support teachers earning a good wage.

What boils my blood is hearing public servants moan about the levy they have to pay to get the absolutely ridiculous defined benefit pension. I’ve heard pension experts on the radio shut those moans down with a single response - that levy doesn’t even closely represent what that pension is worth.

I cannot understand why the public sector pension isn’t discussed more, it completely baffles me. It’s better than what people get in pharma companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Allinall

I presume you don't have a problem receiving already taxed money from your employer?

Double standards maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Allinall

Being discussed now on Newstalk.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,649 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Being discussed on Claire Byrne now. The Labour representative is not doing a good job.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,851 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Those aren't pension experts that you are listening to on the radio, they are sellers of private pensions with a stake in the private sector pensions industry.

Yes, an individual couldn't buy the pension with their contributions, but what they neglect to tell you is that the public service pension scheme isn't an individual scheme, it is a collective scheme. So the guy who pays in from age 17 and dies at 63 before collecting a penny also pays for the pensions of those who live long enough to collect the pension. Also, similarly to the PRSI pension (which everyone in the private sector gets, and many of the public sector don't), the current contributions of those employed pay for the pensions of those retired.

I understand how pensions work. My point was that some public sector workers object to paying a levy for something so valuable. As a dc pension is now standard in the private sector it should be standard in the public sector.

And the guy who pays in from 17, where does his salary come from?

Post edited by Ellie2008 on

Those who support higher taxes in Ireland are frogs calling for the heat to be turned up as they'd like to die faster.

This call for increased taxes - they are well and truly more than high enough - is all about paying for Ireland's grossly overpaid public sector.

As I have pointed out previously, there is greater social equity in Australia than Irealnd, and yet Australia doesn't tax death - and you can keep any Irish cuteness about it being inheritance.

This is what this is really about:

"A study published last October by economists at the European Commission is the most comprehensive effort yet to compare the gap between public and private sector pay rates across the continent***. It sought to take account of factors, such as education levels and age profile, that could explain pay differentials between the two sectors. It found that of 26 EU countries in 2010 (the most recent year for which figures are available) the unexplained pay gap was bigger in Ireland than in any other country. In other words, even when different education levels are accounted for, the pay gap is bigger in Ireland than anywhere else." https://www.independent.ie/business/irish/stats-dont-lie-public-sector-is-still-mollycoddled-29907776.html

This bit is actually almost funny:

"insisted that he will no longer tolerate salaries higher than David Cameron's basic pay of £142,500."

Because it is followed by this; Keep that figure in your heads:

"But if the UK public sector is full of "fat cats", the Irish public sector is full of "morbidly obese cats".

Tomorrow the Irish public face the most austere budget in the nation's history and public sector pay and pensions is at last on the agenda. But it is highly unlikely there will be any cuts that see top earners taking home less than the prime minister.

So back to Fingleton's pay of £255,000. It's not like for like, but the following will give you a flavour of the runaway public sector pay in Ireland.

Runaway pay won't be really tackled in Ireland

The highest paid public sector boss in Ireland takes home a staggering €752,568 (£637,000) – that is Electricity Supply Board chief, Padraig McManus. The average salary at the ESB is €70,000 - making them the highest paid electricity workers in the world.

The second highest paid public sector boss is Declan Collier, the head of the Dublin Airport Authority who is on a package worth €568,100 while the head of An Post is on €500,000 and the head of the forestry commission, Coillte is on a tidy €417,000.

In fact, so much financial cholesterol is coursing through the veins of the Irish public and semi-state sector, a report earlier this summer found that 66 public servants in Ireland receive more than €500,000 each including 37 judges, the head of the controversial National Asset Management Agency, NAMA, and the head of the National Treasury Management Agency, which looks after the country's public finances." https://www.theguardian.com/business/ireland-business-blog-with-lisa-ocarroll/2010/dec/06/ireland-public-sector-fat-cats

It truly is a masterstroke of the overpaid Irish public sector to persuade the government to create another overpaid cancerous organ whose job it is to recommend and justify tax increases to provide the means to pay for public sector pay increses.

Pure, unadulterated genius. Actually I lie, it was only made possible by the very low intellectual calibre of irish politicians that allowed the nation to be so effortlessly hoodwinked.

I have yet to see a single person on here provide even scant reasoning as to why death duties/CAT should be increased when they are already the highest in the world.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I swear to God, the wildly enthusiastic cheerleaders for a return to medievil serfdom

Inheritance tax was introduced to remove the landed gentry classes, who practiced something not a million miles from serfdom.

For the most part, people are inheriting when they are already in their 50s and 60s. Their lives are better than their parents and they have accrued most of the benefits they will already by that point. Their parents wealth can be used just fine tax free to provide for the best education possible and leg ups all over the place in life.

Property tax should probably increase, being the only actual wealth tax we have, though inheritance tax strikes me as fine at the level it is at.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭MakersMark

How about getting your greedy hands off my hard earned, taxed money??

No one gave it to me I earned it.

Get off your backside and go earn a living. If you want more, save, work harder and smarter.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

By definition you haven't earned inheritance and it is, in fact, being "given" to you.

Advertisement