Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solar for Beginners [ask your questions here]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,025 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Yes, the CT is for the arcel meter, so it doesn't actually matter where that is

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Hello.

I'm having battery and main controller installed in the shed right beside the house. Space reasons nore than anything else.

I'm laying the cables. Installer asked me to get

6sq cable

2 cat5s

3 core 1.5sq

And 4 x 4mm

Now I'm not sure what the 4 x 4m cable is, electrical supplier isn't sure either. Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭DC999

I reckon better asking the installer than someone guessing. I get you might want to order to cut down the cost for installer charging you the admin time to order himself. But he needs to give you clear instructions if you are sourcing it

No. Wasn't a case of cutting cost etc.. he simply asked me to get these..

I'll check with installer ..I couldn't get through to him but I actually think its 4 single core 4sq cables

For the record. It's 4sq 4 core. From the DC inverter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,679 ✭✭✭✭banie01

This thread makes for interesting reading and there is a lot to take in.

I'm currently planning a solar install along with battery and when we change the car going with a one that offers us at least V2L (V2G would be preferred).

My house and the outbuilding are orientated on a SW/NE axis and would likely split the panels to gain maximum utility.

I do have a lot of relative low and indeed low pitched SE facing roof on the outbuilding along with a consumer unit that's wired back to the main house consumer unit via 10sq dual core and 10sqearth.

I know this is a discussion for the installer when I move ahead, but, would it be possible to utilise the existing cabling on the outbuilding to back to main board and avail of FiT and indeed to allow a battery back up supply to feed the house? Or would that require new cables?

Main reason for asking is convenience, insofar as the cable run to the shed can't be added to as it's now buried beneath a patio and split level garden. So if those existing cables can't be used?

It would be a case of panels on the house roof only.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,932 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

A 6kW inverter will need 4mm2 cable at a minimum depending on length, two will require 10mm2 so sounds like you have lot's of headroom in the existing 10mm2 and an installer should be able to work around your outbuilding consumer unit

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭cobham

Is there an ideal location for battery /inverter? How important is it to have access to same? We would have a choice of attic or downstairs room where meter board is located. There is also a utility room off kitchen where the gas boiler is located and an empty former oil boiler house beyond.

Our inverter is outside on the wall and I'm happy with that. It's outdoor rated and sorts the issue of overheating (that they can get very hot in the attic in summer). It backs onto the fuseboard outside the house. I'd have preferred to put it in a utility room but we don't have one. I don't have a battery. Small house = not many places to put stuff.

Kb coming Tuesday to do the install of the PV

In good time before the ESB bills start going up.. granted bad time of the year for light..none the less happy it's getting done!

Higher price per KW electricity means better return on investment

• Advertisement

Ironically the crisis pricing of electricity is improving our payback, prefer it not to be the case but is what it is

Yea. Bills will likely be higher ironically when I have solar than last year when I didn't, but when considering PV it was ultimately about investment. I can give the money to the ESB over x amount of years, or use the saving I make over x amount of years to pay for the solar. There's not many ways of investing 8 or 10k and getting your money back over 10 12 or 14 years. The higher the cost of the kw, the shorter the return of investment

…and I see folk here on high tariffs “saving” lots when really they should move provider

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭redmagic68

So hoping this is the right place to drop the following queries:

1 I’ve been reading loads in the threads here last few weeks and they’re great. Automation is the most recent. Its way over my head and seems to be for network techs and programmers. So how difficult is it to set up your system to have the investor charge a battery at a specific time On night rate and then to discharge at a specific time say if a peak tarrif was introduced? Secondly is it simple for the home owner to change the times themselves for summer use for example

2 is it possible for someone with no previous knowledge or experience to set up an automated control system themselves or is this a service that can be purchased?? Having read the automation thread here it’s Phd for solar stuff as another poster said.

3 given that solar is much better in summer has anyone managed to, or given thought to supplementing the winter months with a micro wind turbine or are the systems even compatible? Or is it even worth considering? In terms of cost, equipment etc.

8.4 kwp east/west Louth,6kw sofar, 9.6kwh batt

Change of plan. They're coming today!

Really. I'm behaving like an infant now. Quite excited

Ha ha, wait till you have the App up and running, the sun pops out from behind the dark clouds you'll be scrambling to see the PV, not to mention waiting for the sunburst to boil the kettle for morning tea........it begins

Haha. The sun's out. Stick on the dryer!..and the kettle.

more like pause the dryer to boil the kettle

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Mr Q

On point 3. A decent small wind turbine can be very expensive and you would need a decent sized site to mount it properly. You are also very unlikely to have the average wind speed you would need.

If you are interested in wind power you could mount a wind logger. Over a period of time you would at least know if you had the wind speed at the height and location you are planning. At least you would have only a small initial cost to do this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

We had a couple of good conversations on this over the years for example.

Wind turbine - Page 4 — boards.ie - Now Ye're Talkin'

or

Ridgeblade Wind Turbines — boards.ie - Now Ye're Talkin'

There are a couple of other threads, but those ones spring to mind.

The long and the short of it, is that for residential it's a "no hope". Air is too turbulent, and there are a whole host of issues such as planning permissions which effectively rule it out. If you are out "da country", it's doable, but very dependant on location and be prepared to invest a sizable sum to get a working system.

That said, I really like the idea of them and if out in the country away from Karen's of the world I'd have one down the end of the garden on a 15m post.

I’m out the country but if Karen is called Theresa. I think I’ll get stage one which is the solar instal complete and boil a few guilt free kettles.

learn to manage the consumption to maximise and find a network guru to learn from.

I like Mr Q’s idea if measuring it so I’ll look into that. I’ll camouflage it from Theresa of course.

thank you all for the feed back, look forward to checking out the threads. Initially when we built I had hoped to put in a proven turbine but the cost was prohibitive and the battery tech non existent.

Puredrive battery v Dyness? Anyone know the difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭steamdave

When discussing wind turbines, most folk automatically think of the 'windmill' horizontal axis types. For domestic situations where planning/space considerations are met, to say nothing of the economics of purchase and maintenance, the Vertical Axis wind turbines have a lot to offer. The main one being that wind turbulence has little effect on them - they continue to turn no matter what direction the wind comes from. HAWTs on the other hand hunt in the turbulence, reducing efficiency and hasten bearing failure. They also require more space to install.

VAWTs may be slightly less efficient than the opposition theoretically, but when the problems of the HAWTs are taken into account, there probably is very little difference in overall performance.

Here's a link to one European manufacturer: http://wind-of-change.org/index.php/technology.html

For those with PV systems and considering wind turbines, the PV inverter is not compatible with the turbine (and vise-versa) with present technology or so I was informed.

Having a quick look at the SEAI site, I can't see whether grants are available for wind turbines, so that may be a serious disadvantage for purchasing one.

Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Yeah, I was hugely enthusiastic about getting something like one of those, but the reality is that they are all mostly pants.

Don't believe me? (I wouldn't)

(669) Back to the Future of Wind Energy Technology with Paul Gipe - YouTube

Sadly countless others out there who have documented science that they don't work as advertised. Including some people on this very forum (not me). That's not to say that vertical wind turbines have no place. They do, but rather that the sales pitches about the generation yields are miles away from the realities.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

Hey but they start working at 2.8m/s and produce a whopping 7w 🤣

Dublin has the worst avg speed, about 6m but most areas are about 3m/s in reality so this would be useless.

You basically need "hurricane" winds to get anywhere near 1kwh

And if you check the average wind in Ireland it's actually quite low (even though in winter feels like the winds at the north pole when the lovely storms come by)

sorted 👍️

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Just got connected up today.

Solis Hybred, and eddi.

Terrible day for generation here dark skies and rain but still eeeked out a bit.

Question though.. why is it showing no consumption from the grid..

I know of course we have used units from the grid. We have the old spinning meter at the moment.. would that have anything to do with it?

(Battery not installed yet.. waiting on the Puredrive)

I met the Kb van yesterday on my way home from work you must be up my way Achewell. good luck with the new toys look forward to hearing how it performs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭cloughy

Got my email yesterday, KB will be installing next week, anything I should be aware of in advance or questions to ask them. They will have some extra panels in the van, getting circ 4.5kW with 5kW battery No eddi needed,

half thinking about EV charger, applied for grant 2 weeks ago approved but as yet have not got an EV, so should I wait on this or go ahead and install say a Zappi?

Any comments on what to look out for or ask the lads based on previous experience

Advertisement