Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭danfrancisco83

" hotel was dirty, infested with cockroaches"

"Pest Control attended the service on 30/08/22 and the building complies with all control protocols. No evidence of cockroaches was identified"

Well someone here is lying. I wonder who 🤥

Edit: Mystery solved https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/tick-list-and-1600-cocaine-allegedly-found-in-dublin-home-41870919.html

Post edited by danfrancisco83 on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭combat14

lets just hope europe is prepared for this situation or several major european economies are in serious trouble fast.... rationing gas could be introduced shortly in some places

there was mention that gas storage was 80% full in germany which was better than expected .. perhaps the eu will weather this for one year until other options are sourced .... who knows but adds another layer to uncertainty of buying over priced houses here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

Germany’s economy ministry said gas-storage facilities are filling up faster than planned despite uncertainty over supplies through a key pipeline from Russia, and predicted that an October target of 85% capacity should already be reached early next month.

Is it just me or does this seem an incredibly stupid thing to announce last week?

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭IWW2900

Its the pending rate hikes that are really going to hit property.

My brother has a house in America, it was valued at 810k on Zillow a few months ago. Today it is at 685k. They are in a worse state over there, further along with hikes and with higher inventories but a sign of whats to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Caquas

It's crazy that it might cost over 150K to upgrade this house which seems to be in excellent condition without structural issues.

This is part of a huge, largely unspoken, problem in the property market, especially for young first-time buyers. Their traditional route to home ownership in an established community was to buy a doer-upper and spend the next couple of years engaged in a mix of DIY and building contractors. 10 years ago, 50K would get you a kitchen extension plus a new bathroom. 100K would have transformed the typical 3-bed semi. Now buyers have to reckon with 200-300K for a substantial extension. How's that for inflation, Mr. Putin!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,037 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

This lad has some neck, papers are worse for publishing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,504 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Not entirely true. They cannot have a chimney but can can a flue going to a stove. As usual some builders used it as an excuse to further move to cheaper electrical installations.

I was watching the new series of Make a House a Home. A lady in here 30/40's bought a 2 or 3 bedroom cottage. She had it modernised for 15k. Over 5k of that went I think on the kitchen. The rest was paint, hard work and flat packs. She even had some landscaping done outside.

Slava Ukrainii

wow a 15% drop in a matter of months with interest rate rises .. definitely food for thought anyone on the cusp of buying property here now

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭drogon.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,666 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The media here manages to pick awful examples every single time they do a story like this. People who've turned down houses before or the case of the woman who had a house elsewhere and just wanted something nearby etc

• Advertisement

we will have to see the ECB have already warned us on this back in may - apparently the average eurozone house is between 15-60% over priced

Euro zone's overpriced housing market may sag if rates rise - ECB

It warned that home prices could fall by between 0.83% and 1.17% for every 10-basis-point increase in mortgage rates after adjusting for inflation.

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2022/0525/1301058-ecbs-financial-stability-review/

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Relax brah

This is total bollox tbh so sick of this nonsense sh*te being spun by the media.

myself and my gf are both mid thirties, I have a well paying job and she is a secondary school teacher.

We have been renting in Bushy park house (embassy estates managed owned by mcsharry/Kennedy-Wilson) in Terenure. Once a well sought after place to rent and live with a punchy price tag on rent (still is.)

Since covid, a lot of the tenants left and moved back home down the country instead of paying the crazy rent - they couldn’t refill the apartments so have no given them totally to social housing and people on HAP.

Both my partner and I are fortunate to be in full time jobs and I feel for anyone who has been hit during this crisis who cannot get a house to live in. However, despite us both working long hours in relatively well paid jobs we cannot afford a home whilst paying this crazy rent.

in turn, (again not saying everyone is this way,) Bushy Park House has turned into a complete dump. For example this morning at 7am, I got into an elevator with a young man smoking crack.

last week, at 6am when I was going to the gym, I found a young man (early 20’s) past out on the stairs with a needle in his arm - car break ins and are also now rampant in underground parking (where cctv is in operation) yet embassy still refuse to entertain any sort of dialogue on the matter and push off to the gardai.

Embassy estates and it’s owners couldn’t care less, they just say “please report to local Garda station.” they no longer advertise property online for rent as it is easier to get social housing in, whilst we pay full rent increased last month and backdated four years @ 8% whilst they are turning this place into a ghetto or some high rise crackden like the wire.

It’s shocking and completely soul destroying.

If we’re in the middle of that range (and I think we’re probably lower, given our supply / demand dynamic) it only brings us back to pre Covid levels. Perhaps not even.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭Timing belt

The same model that shows European houses overpriced shows Irish houses slightly undervalued.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

Another embarrassing video. 3 minutes on cooldown commons. If I stick with it, they might actually improve!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,475 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Where’s the embarrassment?

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭drogon.

Curious, can you link that part ? Can't seems to find it myself

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

This kind of carry on is disgraceful, bordering on the sociopathic:

i personally saw one recently where the gaff was bought for 380k early this year and relisted at 480k less than 3 months later, and subsequently sold. It was around the height if the bidding war madness so presume it went for over that even. It's not up on the PPR yet so looks not to have closed so far.

When I lived in Germany, if you sold a property at a profit before 5 years of ownership, there was crippling CGT and other taxes that would not only eat up all the "profit" but also, I believe, eat into your equity. This massively disinsentivised such types of speculation. I considered buying but hadn't decided to stay long term and was advised against it for those reasons.

The current system massively encourages this crazy carry on. How else can you make a cool 120k entirely tax free in a year on top of your other income. I mean besides winning the lotto.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭DataDude

Seems a bit strange for Irish houses to be declared undervalued when they’re shown as the second highest relative to incomes?

c16 years income to buy 100sqm for Ireland. ‘The author sees risks arising when this number exceeds 10’. Yet 20%-30% undervalued?

Only had a quick glance but is the valuation piece all being driven by high rents?

• Advertisement

Where else could you also lose a cool €120k if the market slumped like it did just over a decade ago? Don’t you wish you could have bought in Germany, paid off a couple of years of your mortgage rather than renting, and then sold, making yourself money to put towards a home here?

At just over 1200 sqft, it doesn’t come as a surprise that a family are looking for a bigger house, and will need the proceeds to buy in todays market. So, not sure why you think this is disgraceful, they are taking what the market offers, and the buyers are paying current market rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Vestiapx

Lol

Do the reporters that published this crap not have Google ?

There are a few models for valuations one of which is rent but the driver of the main model they normally quote is not rent but more supply, demand, disposable income etc.

personally I would question the results but it really shows the risk across the rest of Europe and how the the CBI measures have kept somewhat of a lid on house prices.

Germany Netherlands wouldn’t be the first countries you would think of when it comes to housing risk…yet they have been advised of risk in their housing markets by the ESRB. Ireland on the other hand gets praise for CBI policies at reducing risk.

What are you on? The point is that the home I bought in Germany wouldn't have turned me a profit, in fact I would have lost money on it. The reason being is they want to tame house price inflation by disinsentivised flipping properties by taxing the bejaysus out of it.

Here we basically create a loophole where you can make massive amounts of money and pay no tax because it's a "family home". If you're treating a "family home" as an investment, then it should be taxed like an investment.

If you can't see the ethical issues with buying a new build which is originally billed as an affordable home for first time buyers, and subsequently flipping it at 30-40% over that original price within the space of a couple of years, then you're truly too far gone.

You genuinely can't see how such practices feed into the affordability issues we currently see?

Whilst looking for that report I came across a paper on the impact of institutional investors on housing just published…I only read the conclusion but interesting that they talk about CBI proposing putting limits on how much investors can borrow etc.

https://www.esrb.europa.eu/pub/pdf/wp/esrb.wp~6a9f153304.137.pdf?39c93cb4c88c5a51846c25305f129b60

pinksoir, there is no guarantee that you will make money on property, and the absence of taxation on the sale of a family home is completely understandable. If you sell an investment property which is not your family home, of course you are taxed on it. If you buy a starter home, then as your family grows you need more space, is it fair and ethical to tax the family for effectively having kids? Of course it isn’t.

If you buy an affordable new build home and 12 months later sell it for 120k over what you paid, and pay no tax on that capital gain, there's something wrong with the system and its no wonder there are affordability issues.

I saw someone buy a secondhand home early this year and within 3 months of buying it had it up for sale 100k over what they paid.

There is a big difference between buying a home, growing as a family and trading up to a bigger house, and flipping houses and exploiting the system to avoid paying tax. I don't believe you can't see the issue with the latter.

No there isn’t, it’s a family home so should remain untaxed. God knows we pay enough tax on everything else without applying it to our homes.

How could you possibly know the circumstances of people selling homes, is it due to need for more space, change of circumstances, job, people unable to afford to live where they bought etc etc etc. I would say very few people buy family homes with the view of uprooting their family again after a brief period.

I can see why you could get bent of of shape about investors/speculators making a quick profit, but applying tax to sale of family homes? Nah, on your bike.

Sorry, but if you're flipping a "family home" within 3 months at 100k+ profit, you're exploiting a technicality to avoid CGT. Fair dues and all, but let's call a spade a spade.

In Germany if you sell before 5 years you're only penalised if you sell at a profit adjusted for expenses/inflation etc. Seems like a fairer system and ensures a "family home" is treated like a family home and not an investment opportunity.

But I guess we are where we are. No problems here, nothing sinister coming down the pipeline for future generations. It's all grand, keep doing what we're doing.

• Advertisement

Advertisement