Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pushback against Leftism

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,975 ✭✭✭Christy42

So is this person, who was born with female genitalia and identifies as female not female?

hthttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maria_Jos%C3%A9_Mart%C3%ADnez-Pati%C3%B1o

unsure if that will work as the special characters are causing issues but just google

Martínez-Patiño

I can't find a source for your claim that two X chromosones is the scientific definition of an adult female mammal. People make fun of the "I can't define what a female" is answer but put on the spot, even biologically speaking it is pretty hard to have a hard and fast answer that works in every single case which you need if you want to define this scientifically. I mean you had all the time in the world, were not exactly put on the spot and still can't give a correct answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,523 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Well said. I look forward to their next iteration of the definition.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,365 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Don't know - what did they say when you asked them?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

"All mammals have an XY chromosomal sex determining system, in which a small Y chromosome triggers male development"

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/10357097/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,738 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Are there many Trump supporters in this thread?

Glazers Out!

Ask them, but there need not be any? Weird ad hominem to tug on. We're discussing the "pushback" against "leftism." Mr. Trump and his MAGA movement had declared they are waging a war against "new far-left fascism" which seems like "pushback on leftism" to me but feel free to introduce your own semantic argument.

°°°°°

Glazers Out!

Speaking of ad hominems though: a 1999 journal article cited 9 whole times doesn't seem authoritative enough to be "the very definition of woman" alluded to earlier.

In addition to that though, this doesn't argue the point at all does it - at best, it argues the definition of "man" is Y-chromosome, if read very narrowly. Anyway we aren't arguing that Humans do not have an XY chromosomal sex determining system - here are some of the variants within that sex determining system

And of course, the prevalent sequences XX and XY.

You're making an argument about the personal character of everyone that has participated in a 2282 post thread. If you wish to argue it's not ad hominem, I will still contend it's pretty ab-surd.

• Advertisement
    °°°°°

I made no argument. I asked you if there are many Trump supporters on this thread.

Do you think there are?

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

ad hominem...

...how's that anti-leftist definition of Woman coming along.

°°°°°

No, but I didn't raise the issue.

I'm not asking you to do a survey, your opinion will suffice.

Glazers Out!

°°°°°

You posted this...

To which I replied with this...

The trail you've posted above makes it look as if I just asked you, apropos of nothing if there were many Trump supporters on this thread.

I'm assuming that was an oversight on your part?

Glazers Out!

Have you asked anyone yet? Waiting

You're just demonstrating you raised the issue, apropos (apparently) of a post of mine which ... doesn't allege or base itself upon anyone in the thread being a Trump supporter. Almost as though my post is not directed at or sniping at anyone on the thread. Wow, civil of me.

°°°°°

Posting that suggests a strong correlation between anyone who isn't a supporter of the left and Trump.

My question was, are there many people on this thread who you consider to be Trump supporters?

Somehow that was a sniping ad hominem attack on you and not just a simple question which you then told me I should be asking every poster on this thread.

I am not a Trump supporter for clarity.

I do believe that you, like others who share your opinions, like to associate anyone you dislike with other groups of people you dislike without anything resembling evidence and that is informed by your own personal bias and not factual evidence.

Glazers Out!

I don't think about other users on the thread in this personal capacity you seem to.

without anything resembling evidence and that is informed by your own personal bias and not factual evidence.

If you want to rebut any evidence I present, you're welcome to do so, not that I recall this occurring recently. If you want to continue to gripe, vent your opinion and make sand-pounding personal swipes about my "personal bias" etc. I guess that is your prerogative, your 'belief' as you put it. Ad Hominem isn't a strong debate companion. I wasn't asking if you supported Trump, it was not relevant to my contribution to this thread.

• Advertisement
    °°°°°

Asking you a question isn't an ad hominem attack.

You implied by posting that link that it was indicative of the opinions of non left leaning posters in this thread. That was the subtext was it not? Otherwise, why post it at all?

A child spewing out ill thought out rhetoric learned verbatim from their Trump supporting parents, amusing and with the preface calling out those who suggest the left indoctrinate their kids it lands a blow against the perceived "right". I doubt anyone on this thread is one, right wing, two a Trump supporter or three teaching their kids about the virtues of Donald Trump.

It's just a post to demonstrate what you believe is the stupidity of those who oppose you as if it's representative of all those people.

It's fair to ask why you think it's relevant to this thread and who you believe it represents.

Glazers Out!

I doubt anyone on this thread is one, right wing, two a Trump supporter or three teaching their kids about the virtues of Donald Trump.

Then, why did you ask? Just say that, save the electrons.

°°°°°

Because I wanted to highlight what a lazy, predictable, played out thing it was that you were doing.

As a bonus I had you feigning being the victim of an attack (oh a nasty question) and then trying to make out that I had raised the entire topic for no reason, which showcased your dishonesty.

Your goal was to make everyone you disagree with here look stupid by association with what you posted and instead you made a bit of an silly sausage out of yourself instead.

Take care Overheal, look after yourself.

Glazers Out!

As a bonus I had you feigning being the victim of an attack 

Wait, what? when?

I had raised the entire topic for no reason, which showcased your dishonesty.

"for no reason?"

I don't see any past evidence of making this claim. This is a strawman argument. It was clear why you raised the issue, but you did raise the issue. I did not make an issue out of "Trump supporters on this thread" that was entirely you.

All I see here, is you "feigning being the victim of an attack," or as you put it, "to make everyone you disagree with here look stupid"

Again, you demonstrate the thing while you complain about doing the very thing: today's episode, feigning victimhood & trying to make people you disagree with look stupid.

Take care Overheal, look after yourself.

Seems insincere, color me skeptical.

°°°°°

Here you claim that by asking the above question I was "tugging on" an ad hominem. Are you suggesting that you were describing your own statement as ad hominem or as I originally assumed you were accusing me of an ad hominem attack on you?

You posted this...

In which you clearly state that you believe I raised the issue, which is an inaccurate description of the events. The issue was raised when you posted this...

To which I asked my original question.

Why post that link at all? To try to make a sweeping statement about people on this thread it would seem logical to conclude.

I'm not having it. I had some other poster tell me that I'm right wing yesterday and now I'm supposed to accept this guff from you? And of course you're never wrong about anything, even when you're clearly being economical with the truth to suit yourself.

Everyone else is stupid except Overheal, isn't that the thought process?

Glazers Out!

Here you claim that by asking the above question I was "tugging on" an ad hominem. Are you suggesting that you were describing your own statement as ad hominem or as I originally assumed you were accusing me of an ad hominem attack on you?

No, I was not. Is this really the "feigning victimhood" argument? No, I didn't suggest an Ad Hominem attack on me. The ad hominem IMHO: trying to make an argument that requires cross-examining the character of each and every one of the posters who participated in the thread, not the content of the posts they made.

You were the only one to raise the issue of Trump supporters being active participants of this thread. This topic is about "The Pushback Against Leftism" - I've already reminded you of this in one of the posts you took a screenshot of.

Silly tact, IMO:

How many doctors who provide gender-affirming care are in this thread

How many here actively commit hate crimes against trans people

etc.

etc.

I'm not having it. I had some other poster tell me that I'm right wing yesterday and now I'm supposed to accept this guff from you? Everyone else is stupid except Overheal, isn't that the thought process?

... is this feigning victimhood?

°°°°°

So I raised the issue of Trump even though you posted a link about the latent stupidity of Trump supporters to this thread?

All I did was ask you if you thought there were Trump supporters on this thread.

You raised the issue, I asked you why you raised it.

You posted something that isn't relevant to the thread beyond your association of Trump supporters with "anti left" sentiment.

Being anti left doesn't equal pro Trump, and that's the BS you were peddling.

Glazers Out!

you posted a link about the latent stupidity of Trump supporters

I never made an argument about "latent stupidity." Please, stop putting words in my mouth, especially whilst you are being so combative.

You posted something that isn't relevant to the thread beyond your association of Trump supporters with "anti left" sentiment.

If you don't think it's on topic this passionately, Report the post instead. Jesus Wept. I've already explained plainly and in my own prose why I contributed it to the topic, which is, The Pushback Against Leftism. Indoctrination, particularly of children, has been a central theme in the thread and again in the past few days and pages.

Being anti left doesn't equal pro Trump

Never said that, either.

Of course it is possible to be Anti-Left and Anti-Trump. It is also very possible to be Pro Trump and Anti-Left. Seems as on topic to talk about Trump Supporters, as TERFs etc. right, without anyone on the thread having to be party of either.

°°°°°

You were taking this piss.

It wasn't really relevant to anyone posting on this thread as I think you know you'd be hard pressed to find any Trump supporters here but it was meant to be a "funny" post showing how inept the "right" are.

I'm not putting words in your mouth here, I'm merely trying to understand the thought process of why you posted that tweet.

There's all sorts of threads for funny links pictures and videos, in fact there's a whole forum for that with threads of all flavors.

You thought that tweet was relevant here, it wasn't because it reflects nothing of the posters in the thread.

So now you're saying that whilst you're aware that this thread is not a hotbed of Trump support you still posted the tweet because you felt it was relevant even though you knew it wasn't?

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement

As I said, I posted this video featuring indoctrinated children because it was topical.

I made no argument about "ineptitude of the right"

You thought that tweet was relevant here, it wasn't because it reflects nothing of the posters in the thread.

This is not the Thunderdome, the thread isn't about the Posters, surely, it's about The Pushback Against Leftism, a Current Affair.

I'm not putting words in your mouth here, I'm merely trying to understand the thought process of why you posted that tweet.

You were taking this piss... So now you're saying that whilst you're aware that this thread is not a hotbed of Trump support you still posted the tweet because you felt it was relevant even though you knew it wasn't?

Pick a Lane, please.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement