Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

Have a look at their website.

I already carried out your request re the amount of tanks . I copied from the pdf for you.

IISS.org

Here is a 45 min podcast released last week

Podcast host Meia Nouwens and IISS experts Dr Maria Shagina, Dr Nigel Gould-Davies, Franz-Stefan Gady and Henry Boyd discuss:

The state of Russian and Ukrainian armed forces

The conviction behind the cause in Russia and Ukraine

The impact of sanctions on the civilian and military sector in Russia

Eastern Europe and the role of Turkey

Military aid and the next six months

PODCASTS31st August 2022

Russia's invasion of Ukraine: six months on

Since the start of Russia’s war against Ukraine, the world has witnessed unprecedented sanctions against Russia, and military and humanitarian support for Ukraine against a backdrop of ongoing military campaigns and loss of civilian life. In this episode of Sounds Strategic, host Meia Nouwens is joined by four IISS experts to discuss the past six months, and what’s next in terms of military operations, political strategies and economic sanctions.

Podcast host Meia Nouwens and IISS experts Dr Maria Shagina, Dr Nigel Gould-Davies, Franz-Stefan Gady and Henry Boyd discuss:

The state of Russian and Ukrainian armed forces

The conviction behind the cause in Russia and Ukraine

The impact of sanctions on the civilian and military sector in Russia

Eastern Europe and the role of Turkey

Military aid and the next six months

Host and speakers:

Meia Nouwens, IISS Senior Fellow for Chinese Defence Policy and Military Modernisation | Twitter: @MeiaNouwens | Meia Nouwens (iiss.org)

Dr Maria Shagina, Diamond-Brown Research Fellow for Economic Sanctions, Standards and Strategy | Twitter: @maria_shagina | Maria Shagina (iiss.org)

Dr Nigel Gould-Davies, Editor, Strategic Survey; Senior Fellow for Russia and Eurasia | Twitter: @Nigelgd1 | Dr Nigel Gould-Davies (iiss.org)

Franz-Stefan Gady, Senior Fellow for Cyber, Space and Future Conflict | Twitter: @HoansSolo | Franz-Stefan Gady (iiss.org)

Henry Boyd, Research Fellow for Defence and Military Analysis| Henry Boyd

• Registered Users Posts: 12,407 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Looking for confirmation rather than random reddit links,

But looks like the Russian headquarters in Kherson was blown up with a lot of Russian officers caught in the Blast.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭jmreire

Yes, that's one for the books all right.. i wonder what triggered that change of plan?. Chechnya is ruled by clans, so maybe some of these clans who lost a lot of their sons, feel that a change of leadership is required? Plus he will have seen plenty of evidence now of how Putin treats his perceived poorly performing minions. Be interesting to see how it plays out. Local politics in Grozny, or Kremlin politics? Could also be of course that chasing poorly armed and organized Chechens in the woods, who are pretty defenseless an Ukrainians' who have nasty habit of fighting back, and very effectively at that, so effective in fact that he could suffer serious himself.

“Have a look at their website.

I already carried out your request re the amount of tanks . I copied from the pdf for you.”

You don’t know. Okay.

Little bit of research on the oft quoted IISS…

”… Transparify ranked it third-largest UK think tank by expenditure, but gave it its lowest rating, "deceptive", on funding transparency.“

🥹😅

• Advertisement

And a little bit more research: IISS is funded by Open Society Foundations, an organisation set up by George Soros. Its executive director is Hans Gutbrod.[2]

andyou left out half the quote . Wonder why?

"The 2017 Global Go To Think Tank Index ranked IISS as the tenth-best think tank worldwide and the second-best Defence and National Security think tank globally,[1] while Transparify ranked it third-largest UK think tank by expenditure, but gave it its lowest rating, "deceptive", on funding transparency"

This is just deflection on your part

• Registered Users Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭jmreire

And these global experts have personally physically checked each individual tank ( in this case) as to A, its actual existence. B Its condition and C its state of preparedness for action? I doubt that very much..

Deflection ? 2017… so, not today or yesterday. And you are okay with it having its funding being considered deceptive? But, shur Russia wouldn’t be known to interfere 😅

Possibly did check them all… when they went round to pick up their brown envelopes 😅

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭paul71

I saw that today Gatling, I bet he will be retiring to Moscow or St. Petersburg, I bet he does not have the balls to stay in Chechnya because there are probably several tens of thousands family vendettas out on him.

The question is why now? Has he lost too many close supporters in Ukraine?

You should read the complete article. It's a good source because they get different opinions .

David Betz, a professor of war in the modern world at King’s College London, doubted Russia was concerned about its tank numbers or the way in which they have been used in Ukraine so far.

“Russia can get tanks from storage if it mobilises which it shows little intent of doing. I very much doubt that they are at all concerned about tank numbers. They have many and they have good production with surge capacity.

“If they were concerned about supply of anything my guess it would be of Kalibr and Iskander missiles which they are firing rapidly. I know that their production rate is a closely guarded secret.”

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭Polar101

So, let's assume Russia has a nearly unlimited number of tanks available somewhere (in storage/elsewhere in the country). Why haven't they brought enough of them to the frontlines to crush Ukraine?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,802 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

You're so far down the rabbit hole!

Think of long term Russian tank storage as a tank graveyard but they kept them on the books to fudge the numbers.

That's an airplane graveyard, if it was in Russia it would remain on the books.

Now imagine they were Russian tanks!

They might gain more ground but wouldn't take Ukraine or be able to hold it with strong US and Europe supporting Ukraine.

Maybe the strategy is to make Europe suffer this winter through extreme energy costs to cause disruption ,division and weaker support to Ukraine.

This to allow Russia to begin to advance through Ukraine.

If the west does not keep Ukraine supplied with weapons ,aid and finance then the war is lost. Ukraine vastly outnumbered

• Registered Users Posts: 5,658 ✭✭✭storker

Wow I never imagined the Americans had so many combat aircraft. That must be at least four squadrons right there.

According to someone's logic...

You also forget that a tank needs a crew and that crew needs training,and thats not done in a day.

1 months training wont cut it like the contracted conscripts are getting.

Same goes for pilots and mechanics,special units,SOF etc etc

No use sending 10000 tanks to the frontline without a crew

• Registered Users Posts: 7,343 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Does anyone actually know what has happened to the millions of Ukrainian women and kids deported to Russia???

Another holocaust being ignored??

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Well, since the distance from the nearest train station to Kyiv was all of 250km or so, I'm not sure that claiming the tyres lasted that long isn't damning by faint praise.

Like most nations, long-distance movements in Russia are conducted by rail. Even the trucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

In storage. Well You look in hmm has tracks yup got a gun. No idea what's on the inside. Russia being Russia storage hot and cold damp not damp over many years. Could be piles of rust at this stage.

Good production rate… maybe, if they make them out of cardboard… steel, not so much.

This might be news to you, but Russia is a bit merde when it comes to manufacturing, maintenance or anything close to efficiencies (apart from vodka consumption maybe).

But, the best evidence for Russia being low on tanks etc. is because they haven’t advanced from where they were stopped months ago.

or… pardon the sniggers… are you another neutral observer that thinks Putin only wanted to invade as far as they currently are? Hmmm? 🧐

This is your most honest post so far, and sadly for you this is the only strategy left to Putin. It’s shît or bust. And it’s going to blow up in his Botox bloated face.

Yes, Europe WILL suffer this winter, and governments will need to subsidise its citizens fuel costs. But, we won’t have your Russian soldiers raping our women, children and men. They won’t be castrating our men. They won’t be stealing our children. They won’t be repatriating our domestic goods back to Russia. So, no… this last ditch strategy of Russia’s won’t work.

And the biggest problem with this strategy is that even if the snowball doesn’t melt in hell and Europe bends the knee to Russia, do you think energy independent USA will? Cop on with yourself.

Your wishful thinking is laughable. It’s much more likely your Russia will breakup than Putin’s desperate strategy will work. Russia is the weakest now internally since the early 90s. Regional men not coming home from war, growing unemployment, large increases in inflation. People’s cars exploding, people thinking they can fly without wings. Happy times for mother Russia… I think not.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Darth Putin

Re: tank numbers

Ain’t that the same fella here trolling who claimed Russia had 2 million large military hence they will crush Ukraine (which itself raises questions as to what they been doing up to now)

Only for official order from Putin recently to find up to 150k troops to increase from current 900k military, it turned out 1.1 million people were civilian staff in their military

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭EOQRTL

The west ignoring it as it means they would have to take actual action and not the half baked crap we now see.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Rawr

Could it be that he’s actually KIA and they don’t want to admit that their f*ckwittery got another high profile commander killed?

Not exactly the most honest bunch, these Ruskies.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

I think the pretence that Chechnya has any autonomy is coming to an end and it will soon be a full part of Russia.

Sorry but I can't really post on this thread anymore . Iv been reprimanded as I was reported.

Bye

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭weisses

I've been reprimanded as well in the past .... didn't use it as an excuse to run away from the discussion though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement