Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starlink - Anyone get it yet?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

The amount of stuff that's up there is ruining the night sky and I really got to wonder how safe are launches with the LEO stuff particularly.

http://astria.tacc.utexas.edu/AstriaGraph/

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Messer1

A contact tried to get pic but seems to be located behind buildings. Here are the antennas prior to installation.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

• Moderators Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭Spocker

Heres what I got back:

"Hello Spocker, Thank you for reaching out to us in regards to your Starlink account. The reason for this is because your invoice was generated before the price adjustment was released. Invoices are always generated 7 days before your payment due date. Any invoice generated after the 24th of August will now be at the new price adjustment. We hope you found this information helpful. Starlink Support"

I played dumb and asked "but the Invoice date is the 28th...". Not going to lose any sleep over it though

Interesting, my subscription dates are different

• Advertisement

My invoice date is 29 August but was €99. How did you get to message them? I dont see anything in the support tab with a form or contact details

You have to search the help forum, and then 'dislike' any of the answers - then you get to submit a ticket

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

Interesting piece on the unknown impact of all the Starlink de-orbits to come:

I'm sure there's an element of scare-mongering, but the numbers at least do appear to add up....

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Tommy Lagahan

Smells more of fearmongering than Killybegs smells of fish.

Aren't rare earth minerals already falling to the earth constantly from meteorites?

https://solarsystem.nasa.gov/asteroids-comets-and-meteors/meteors-and-meteorites/overview/?page=0&per_page=40&order=id+asc&search=&condition_1=meteor_shower%3Abody_type

48 tons a day according to this.

Plus the article he linked about black carbon pollution applies significantly less to the cleaner burning methane engines on Starship than it does to Falcon 9's RP1 engines. Its definitely an issue with RP1 rockets though, whole reason they come back down looking like they've spent a day in the bog bagging turf.

There is something to be said about the light pollution alright & Kessler syndrome is definitely something to keep an eye on, but you could launch a James Webb size satellite observatory with no folding mirrors comfortably in Starship's faring. It makes Luvoir-A seem almost achievable rather than a pipedream.

" for the benefit of a few, but at a cost that will impact everyone" He's lost me there now.

its a clear night with no moon tonight and the sky here is absolutely spectacular. Haven’t seen the milky way so clear in an age.

I have to say though that theres a lot of movement up there. Much more than I’ve ever seen before.

• Advertisement

My invoice was generated on the 27th August, which is for the period starting September 3rd.

Your invoice must have been generated on 21st August, so it was the old rate (pre August 24th).

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭grennscreener

So I got my dish, happy out with it. I want to mount it to a pre-exsisting satelitle mount, anyone any pointers on what brackets I need to clamp dishy to the pole?

wow - thanks for that, exactly what I was after 👍️

I have a spare one I bought but never used, you're welcome to it if you cover the postage - just drop me a PM

Ah - sound, thanks for the offer, but I just went and got my own there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭mag

is there anyone doing complete install of these (meath) - supplying all kit, mounting on roof and running all cables?

i see theres a few offering the "install on roof after you buy it yourself" option

• Registered Users Posts: 6,719 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

You have to buy the dish yourself then I can't see any Satellite installer turning down a job. The only issue is drilling holes for that fat cable. To use the connection you can literally stick the dish in the garden when it arrives and run the cable in through an open door or window.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭social butterfly 2020

Still have a dish for sale. First generation going for 450

so this isn't normal with starlink is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭mag

if anyone has a spare SL ethernet adapter id gladly take it off their hands

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭zg3409

The new ground station seems to be at the "national space centre," just north of Middleton. This is an old telecom eireann international phone link site, now sold and used for geostationary internet and low earth orbit internet and anything else who pays.

https://www.facebook.com/elfordstownearthstation

I don't see anything on their social media but it may be confidential. They have dozens of dishes on site and a few domes like starlink. I have drone footage of the site from a good few years ago.

Interesting side point is there are two dishes on Amazon data centre in Dublin very close to M50/M1 junction in Dublin as part of Jeff bezos Project Kuiper which is similar to starlink but still in development and testing phase. I routinely see them dishes move from parked position to track low earth objects but a lot of the time they seem to have nothing overhead to track so they may be many years behind.

In terms of contention over time, maritime users may be big users, particularly cruise ships so on the east coast of Ireland you may be competing for bandwidth with south England cruise ships with thousands of bored users.

On the west coast there is unlikely to be much competition with neighbouring countries nor heavy ship internet demand. If aircraft usage becomes common and cheap then EU USA flights will be big users and likely to pay the big $$$ to get the bandwidth priority. It could be a good few years before this happens as aircrafts would need upgrading and contracts agreed. There are probably limits to starlinks bandwidth and it's likely now may be the fastest you will realistically get, with real world speeds at peak times to slowly drop as number of users rise.

Post edited by zg3409 on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

If you read the Starlink reddit page, there is a lot of unhappy users in the states now reporting over subscribing and speeds in single digit numbers. I hadnt been on the page in months and was actually shocked how the sentiment has turned over there. Lots of people reporting terrible speeds.

I hope that doesnt happen here - not sure how it works in terms of cells being in use for it to become oversubscribed for one region. For the size or Ireland are we all on the one or would we be hitting the same "cells" as the UK for example?

For now though, its still going strong for me - avg 200Mb down and 20 up. Ping is pretty awful so makes online gaming a bit of a struggle.

As long as it can hold out until NBI arrive then we are good.

This must be something new they've added to the app, where you can see these micro-outages (0.1-1.9s). Looking at mine for today, would be concerning you might think:

So I fired up my trusty pingplotter a short while ago and had it pinging to heanet.ie every second (EDIT: wired connection - no WiFi for me). The monitoring covered the two "issues" above at 15:25 and 15:43.

During each of those minutes there was one packet lost according to pingplotter, which tallies with the Starlink status .... but in 15:30, there were three packets lost (two together and one later in the minute) and another two during 15:32, which weren't picked up by the app, so I'm presuming these were other network errors and not Starlink related.

My old FWA connection used to be much more packet lossy than Starlink is and since I don't game, I don't even notice any of those micro-outages.

cheers @ItHurtsWhenIP I do (or did) play a small bit online, but not fussed about it, I did notice that my VPN to work was having issues and voice calls on occasion were iffy, thats when I opened the app and saw the amount of dropouts. It had me a little concerned but its not bad to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭eirlink

running sweet here

Same here:

p.s. I don't use the Starlink WiFi, hence no result for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Neilinhio

Does anyone have any experience buying second hand starlink kit? Any advice, dos or donts?

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭eirlink

few points to note on this.

1. Only applies to residential accounts for BOTH buyer and seller. Equipment is "assigned " this account designation via its mac address. only starlink can reassign and they wont unless they receive the equipment back. (30 day refund policy and or warranty / RMA )
    2. Transfer only allowed if both seller and buyer are on residential package.
    3. Seller must have an active residential contract at the time the transfer is occurring.
    4. Buyer address and installation site must be in an open starlink cell ( check before buying ! )
    5. Process starts with the seller contacting starlink to indicate intent to transfer ownership....so now you know why the sellers account needs to be an active one, only active accounts can contact SL support ! Starlink will be only too happy to facilitate the transfer once their criteria is met. They absolutely need to know where the equipment is for service and need confirmed account details for billing. They are not interested in the deal / price between seller and buyer.
    6. SL will make the transfer of service available.
    7. Buyer, make sure the equipment is working. or at least not "stowed" for long. its not uncommon for the firmware to be too far back and problematic to upgrade. in some case we have seen the unit bricked and a replacement is the only option in that case
    8. like everything....buyer beware.

Can I Transfer my Starlink Service Ownership?

To transfer service ownership, please provide support with the email and intended service address of the person you are looking to transfer service to. The new owner will need to know your account number in order to proceed so please be sure to provide this information to them.

Please do not update any of the current contact information in your account before submitting your request, or while the request is being reviewed. Starlink is not responsible for anything related to the selling of the dish and cannot guarantee all transfer requests can be accommodated.

Transferring Services.

You may have the option to transfer your Services to another responsible party if (a) the account is paid-in-full and in good standing; and (b) the Service address is the same or the requested Service address has network availability. Service transfers are subject to Starlink approval. Please visit https://support.starlink.com/ to learn more about transferring your Services.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭alanmc

Hi all,

Thinking of getting Starlink in my new house. If anybody has recently installed it, what's the current wait time on an order? I know the Beta was slow enough at fulfilling orders. Has it ramped up any?

Thanks,

alanmc

Advertisement