Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solar PV Hints, Tips & Troubleshooting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Took the plunge and placed the order with ****** Today.

14 panels, inverter and diverter fir running the immersion, not going with the battery for now

26 week lead time is the only stinger, so a long wait.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Long lead time but there’s SFA to be gained over Winter, install for April 23 will be perfect to hit the ground running

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭The devils

Anyone know a BER person/company they have used recently to get there solar systems inspected for seai grant?

Pm if you can please , thanks 😊

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

I posted the job and got some quotes via https://www.bercert.com/

Was pretty reasonable from what I recall. Circa €200.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭CptMonkey

would you mind pm of who you went with. I have a good few quotes but not sure who to go with .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭silver_sky

Still nothing back from Solis support but at least they've reopened the ticket. I thought it was pretty cheeky the guy made the change and just closed it and said job done.

Looking at the data for the night of 1st Sept to morning of 2nd Sept, after and before generation this is what's happening below (in kWh).

I've had to put the Eddi into Stop mode at night as the export power is enough to trigger it.

Keep in mind that my battery is only 5kWh total so I'm not too mad about it dumping out each night. It seems counter to the idea of a hybrid system.

EDIT: last night was a similar story although I charged the car for a few hours with battery in "charging"... and it still discharges 300W! the export from generation stop to start was about 1.2kWh or about 25% of my battery.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

I suspect the acrel meter or the run from acrel meter to CT is the issue.

Just to rule things in and out, try running house from grid tonight for a while (set charge current to 0A), get a stable baseload (everyone else in bed), and compare the instantaneous load readings on the acrel to the ESBN meter (using LED pulses).

I haven't tried the remote feature of this, but you could get the herself or one of the kids to stand at the meter box while you're up in the attic. 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 21 superemote

Hi folks, does anyone have any suggestions what I might do with my 5.1kw Dyness for the winter? Should I leave it in self use mode?(SOLIS 6Kw inverter). Not too impressed with the Ev tarrifs now as they seem to hike the standing charge(bit sneaky). it's an east/west 6.6kwp array

• Registered Users Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭paulbok

You'll still generate enough at times in every month to put into the battery so make the most of it.

Have you a night rate tarriff?

If so you can charge the battery at night, use during the day. Would be the equivalent of around 2 kWh free every day. Over say a 100-150 days of winter, that'd soon add up

• Registered Users Posts: 21 superemote

Ok thanks, moving tarrif or supplier in October. Night rates dont look great at the moment due to higher standing charges and scary day rates. I'll leave battery on self use so. Might heat water with kerosene instead of immersion for winter(eddi installed), coz I dont see the point putting a bit of solar charge in battery just to power the immersion afterwards when timer comes on. Maybe it's all the same..

• Advertisement

Interesting, I get what you're saying there. I don't think it will work on my meter as it's one of the smart ones with an IR rather than LED port. Should be possible on the acrel. Other idea would be one of those LED readers and an IR one also. They don't seem the cheapest though.

Worth checking the smart meter ports with a smartphone camera... CMOS sensors can usually "see" IR.

It worked on the smart meter. Might be a while before I can compare though. Taking it easy due to back issues so don't think I'll be climbing into the attic. I'll see what solis say today but I have a feeling I may have to get the installer back.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Colm82

Is the maximum array size you can increase your install to limited by the inverter size? The inverter I have is a saj r5 4k s2 15, does the 4k mean its a 4kw inverter and therfore I couldn't increase from my current 4.1kw system without a new inverter?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

The inverter size will tell you the maximum amount that an inverter can process. So a 4Kw will only "draw down" 4kw, even though you might have 5Kw in panels. However, for most of the time, your panels will never be giving you the max output they are rated for.

For example if you have 4Kwp in panels, you might be getting 2Kw in actual power. Increasing the number of panels (assuming same size panels and same orientation on your roof) to 5Kwp will mean that your inverter will now output 2.5Kw....as you increased your panels by 25% the inverter power will go up by 25% and you are still under 4Kw

Usually though there are some limits to how far you can "over subscribe" an inverter. 33% is typically about it, some people say 50%, and in addition to that, there are also some string voltage considerations that you need to be careful of on the inputs. Normally that is 600v, so if your existing panels are generating close to that, you won't be able to add more.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Colm82

Thanks @bullit_dodger so the highest I've seen my 4kw system generate is 3.2kw, going by what you said including the Lower 33% overage I could potentially add another 5-6 panels? How do I check the 600v value? I have an eddi and myenergi app.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Anyone in Rush/Loughshinney seeing grid over voltage alarms this morning?

Alarm was over an hour ago and grid voltage still showing as 255v...

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭connesha

Is anyone changing the Grid Over Voltage settings on their Solis Hybrid?

We have had high grid voltage here today (261V - 266V). It rose immediately, and has yet to go down.

I had set the Grid-Over-Voltage settings on the inverter to 269V (see image below), and this has made an improvement on how the inverter works. Previously (when inverter was set to 253V) it would cause an inverter alarm, taking it offline for 5 mins or so: no PV generation, etc.

Now, whats happening is:

• it does not alarm (great!)
    • All PV generation is going to battery (so battery is charging)
    • All house load is coming from grid (despite Solar power being higher than house load)
    • Even if I do a timed discharge, or set to FIP mode, the inverter will not output AC

Anyone know if there are any other settings that need to be changed:

Here are the ones I changed already:

And these ones cannot be changed:

(note, this question is on the inverter settings. Reporting to ESB NW is a different thing)

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 21,958 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I suspect that the incoming grid voltage being so high means that it's taking that for the house instead of the PV generation. PV gen needs to be slightly higher voltage than the grid in order for the house load to be covered.

We're in a similar boat. Datalogger wont connect to the app, and the inverter gives these over voltage warnings and wont work.

The inverter is now off and the installer is coming back early next week to add the batteries and replace the inverter. All this is due to being grid tied. If I could go off grid I would in a heartbeat. None of this messing.

• Advertisement

Careful there lads. ESB threshold is 230v +/- 10%, meaning that they can supply electricity from 207v - 253v and be withing limits. If they are sending you electricity over that, that would be something to get onto ESB about.

The issue is if they are sending say 260v and you then come along and your inverter pumps out 262-264 or whatever it ups it by, the equipment in your house now (and potentially your neighbours) could be consuming that out of spec electricity. Most electronic usually have some threshold, but it could burn out things.

So while upping your voltage on the inverter solves your problem of the alarm, you could be creating a bigger problem for yourself (and neighbors when you export)

Yea, the house will take the higher voltage. But, the grid voltage did fluctuate to a little below 260V, and still the inverter did not output AC.

The fact that the inverter is configurable to over 270V, I would have expected it to be capable of outputting in the 260s at the very least.

E.g. If the grid was 262V, I'd have expected the inverter to be outputting 265V (or thereabouts), and hence it serving the house load.

Unless there is some other config that I didnt set/can't find...

I'd suggest that there's another setting downstream in the inverter you need to change in conjunction. What you've done there is allow higher voltage in, but I don't see anywhere that you've changed the output voltage configuration. My inverter (before we had to turn it off) was preset to the IE regs so I guess the output voltage is preset and to operate at a different incoming voltage you'd need to also change some settings in the regulations settings.

I've decided simply to not play with it yet - although it's tempting - as I've already got the installer coming back on wednesday and that's what I'm paying him to do

Yea, that's understood. There was a post a while back, by @Jonathan IIRC, pointing to an ESBN doc that said the grid could go to 269V. Hence the 269V value to Alarm at

I'm contacting the ESB separately (That is a different angle; this post is a query about inverter settings.)

Thanks, yea, exactly. The 269V is the Alarm voltage, set in the IE settings in Solis. What I'm trying to see if anyone knows, is if there is any other setting that can be set...

I don't think an installer is going to do anything for this issue. I'd expect their line to be that they set the IE regs setting. If anything goes outside that then that's your/ESB problem (but not them)

Well if it doesnt work I simply wont be paying the remainder (12k owing) until it does. They havent actually delivered me a working system yet.

I can't comment on where 269V came from. Jonathan is usually very clued in, but it's out of spec for ESB. It's been 230v +/- 10% for decades.

Voltage Issues (esbnetworks.ie)

I understand that the inverter will go there to 269V, and it will solve your alarm issue and get your system working......but it's very much outside normal operations. I don't say this to give out or anything, actually only to potentially save you some grief if you blow a telly or something. I'd be Jonny-on-the-spot with getting onto ESB about that.

(To be fair it's unlikely that you'd cause damage, but if your pushing voltages in the high 260's things aren't expecting that....and you could run afoul)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Interesting thing I noticed this morning during the 'over voltage'.. When I went to spark the gas hob, I noticed that the spark rate was much much faster than normal, and since the voltage returned to normal, the spark is back to its usual rate!!

I was onto Solis earlier again about my import and export issues overnight. They've now put me back to A10032 firmware. The guy I spoke with actually wrote that one and said it has a few features and tweaks that the main one doesn't. He said he's trying to get HQ to adopt some of them into the general release. One of the features is an offset adjustment. They can set it on an import or export bias to balance it. In my case it was exporting a lot so he put an adjustment in place. I'll see how that goes and may get them to change it slightly.

• Advertisement

Yea, being able to set a margin would be very useful. Can you control the amount of.bias yourself? Or they set it?

And how are your contacting Solis? My request has gone unanswered for over a week now...

Advertisement