Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Autumn 2022 - General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭pad199207

Status Yellow - Rain warning for Dublin, Louth, Meath and Monaghan

• Met Éireann Weather Warning
    • Further falls of heavy rain this evening.
    • Valid: 17:08 Saturday 03/09/2022 to 20:00 Saturday 03/09/2022
    • Issued: 17:08 Saturday 03/09/2022

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

The gfs has really upped the ante for rainfall tonight over the East. I would think electric picnic is hanging by a thread this evening as to whether it will be cancelled

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,235 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Rain has stopped now in Greystones. 33.0mm. Wind has gotten up. Gusting 34 knots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

THUNDER! That startled me! So much I wondered what it was....

So. West Coast joins the maeistrom.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Hairypoppins

Cancelled? Tonight's deluge doesn't arrive in laois till 3am ish

And the wind has followed the thunder so the tranquillity has ended with the falling of darkness over land and ocean. West Mayo offshore ...and the coming of autumn sees my strength wane.. The closer to nature the greater te synchronicity.

And heavy rain wondrously hard on windows,,, TRULY autumn is here...No doubts now of that,, not because met ie says so but the weather this year does...

Great to see the rain proper. If memory serves me well irish water loses 40% to leaks. In my part of Donegal it must be 90% ha because we had water restrictions from 11pm to 10am during July even though we never experienced anything close to drought conditions. So let it piss from the high heavens because there’s nothing more annoying than water restrictions haha

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Status Orange - Rain warning for Carlow, Kildare, Kilkenny, Laois, Longford, Offaly, Westmeath, Wexford, Wicklow, Cavan, Donegal, Leitrim, Roscommon, Sligo, Waterford

Met Éireann Weather Warning

Local intense rainfall (50mm), and squalls likely. 

See yellow warnings also.

Valid: 04:00 Sunday 04/09/2022 to 08:00 Sunday 04/09/2022

Issued: 19:20 Saturday 03/09/2022

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭spookwoman

was 3am earlier. Models still cant decide if its waterford or wexford and beyond that's going to get the most.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Dodged alot of the heavier rain today - AWS reports just 3.0mm since 10am, which I think is a slight over-read.

Some sunshine eventually this evening and it felt warm in that even though temperatures never got above 17c.

Not much of a breeze around - top gust 13mph today and general speeds between 3mph and 6mph.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Billcarson

26mm I recorded today. I'm sure the trees etc will be happy....

Thank god it’s raining. Have 2 wells and one went dry yesterday, if the other went dry I would be in serious trouble for cows drinking water. Grass gone very scarce, hopefully growth can rebound quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

God the doom and despair on here in response to one wet day is nuts!

We've had how many (15?) consecutive drier than normal months...

Did people genuinely think that was going to last forever or what?!

Reality is, climatology would tell us we're long overdue a really wet 6 month (or longer) spell. So I suppose there's lots of time for the moaners to get used to it.

Anyhow for gardens, reservoirs and farmers, this rain is greatly welcome.

Funny enough we've had only 2mm so far in Roscommon, but that will change tonight I reckon.

Status Yellow - Wind warning for Dublin, Louth, Meath, Wexford, Wicklow

• Becoming very windy in areas overnight, with a short period of very strong winds possible, causing disruption. 
    • Valid: 04:00 Sunday 04/09/2022 to 09:00 Sunday 04/09/2022
    • Issued: 23:13 Saturday 03/09/2022

Good to see posts like this.... reality...Out here offshore West Mayo, we are outside this weather for now but had some useful rain yesterday, The farmers have had a good crop of hay and as you rightly say, all needs replenishing.. Green Ireland ! Just been on met;ie and the map is amazing.

• Advertisement

And heavy rain now.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,235 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

36.4mm rain recorded here in Greystones since midnight. Thought that was a bit mad/wrong but then looked at WOW. Looks like general Dublin area had right lashing of rain with some big rain totals! Also looks many areas under orange warning had significantly less rain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Squeaksoutloud

The wind and rain was crazy in north county Dublin around 4.30 until just after 5. Very exposed here but felt almost Orange wind levels right in the coast. Suddenly dropped off just after 5 then...was able to get back to sleep. 65 km/h gust at the airport I think.

50 knot gust here in Greystones around that time (...at 0422 to be precise!).

Beautiful morning now. Clear/sunny and relatively calm.

Hours of hard heavy rain and a gray morning with clouds....... and clouds of midge. They love this weather.

Post edited by Graces7 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

32mm since i checked at 11.30 last night here in meath, well over 50mm in 24hours

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,066 ✭✭✭appledrop

Tell me about, the baby and myself woke up twice with noise of wind and rain last night.

Looks like we git about 10mm in an hour so not surprised it woke us.

What I wasn't expecting was to wake this morning to gin blue skies!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,673 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Completely slept through that wind and rain 😅

Looks like we got about 26mm of rain between 2am and 5am last night.

No wonder we were awake half the night!

Rainfall accumulated totals for Dublin since midnight.

Glasnevin ACS - 38.7mm

Phoenix Park ACS - 38.6mm

Casement - 32.9mm

Shanganagh ACS - 29.6mm

Dublin Apt - 27.8mm

Some higher totals on WOW from some PWS in Dublin.

61.7mm in Portmarnock

58.2mm in Blanchardstown

51.8mm at Castaheany

51.3mm at both Milltown and Churchtown

Appreciate how a weather station is mounted can dramatically effect rain totals, so they may not be highly accurate. Still, a good wetting!

Yeah I don't bother with PWS, only official. Too much randomness for me to consider, granted rain isn't as greatly affected as say temperature.

• Status Yellow - Rain warning for Carlow, Kilkenny, Laois, Wexford, Wicklow, Waterford
    • Heavy rain at times this evening and early tonight with spot flooding in places
    • Valid: 18:00 Sunday 04/09/2022 to 01:00 Monday 05/09/2022
    • Issued: 10:46 Sunday 04/09/2022

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

28mm overnight + 17mm yesterday = 45mm in my backyard.

Those totals that DOCARCH posted seem a bit high for amounts after midnight so I think it might include Saturday’s rainfall too?

Beautiful day in Wicklow now! Doing the Wicklow Head walk atm.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

A night of heavy rain kept me awake for much of the night with gutters overflowing. It's a nice day now, plenty of sun and feeling warm and much of today should remain dry so make the most of it. It will remain potentially unsettled or very unsettled over the coming 10 to 14 days, no signs of a respite from the Atlantic even deep into FI. Summer is well and truly over.

Close to 70mm in Greystones between yesterday and today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,533 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Summer took a long time starting this year, but it was definitely a warm, sunny, even hot summer. Shorts, t shirts most days. Can't believe there were no hose pipe bans. Can't remember any wind.

Definitely feels like Autumn today. Jumper and jeans. Rain coat weather. Windy. Yesterday was wet all day. I'd forgotten what continuous rain looked like.

North Wicklow.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Beautiful bright sunny morning in Kerry with a steady breeze. Another 6mm last night on top of an estimated 22mm for the 3rd. Ponds filling up nicely and there is a freshness already in the lawns, the leaf fall continues apace, cant recall seeing this many leaves fall so early. Hopefully will stay dry until this evening.

Yellow - Thunderstorm Warning for Antrim, Armagh, Down, Tyrone, Derry

Thunderstorms may cause some localised disruption on Sunday night

Valid: 20:00 Sunday 04/09/2022 to 04:00 Monday 05/09/2022

Status Yellow - Rain & Thunderstorm Warning for Ireland

Met Éireann Weather Warning

Heavy rain along with a few thunderstorms will spread northwards over Ireland. Lightning and spot flooding in places.

Valid: 19:00 Sunday 04/09/2022 to 03:00 Monday 05/09/2022

The summer is still here at the Botantical Gardens, in North Dublin.

I did try and alter pictures but I can't.

Sure just turn your phones around it will be grand😉

We go every year to sculpture in context exhibition. The 6 year old does be in his element finding them all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Quite a nice day here in East Cork up until mid afternoon, sunny and mild but windy. Gone very autumnal now, heavy clouds, strong breeze and rain on the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Anyone come across many stories of wind damage from last night? A large branch snapped from a tree into my sister's house. I asked if there was anything else on her road she said someone's BBQ set went through their window. Another had a trampoline take flight. This was in Swords.

• Advertisement

Nice bit of colour tonight in Dublin before the rain comes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Saturday in Dingle took part in a half marathon at 9am. The rain was solid for the first 6 miles of the rain along with roars of thunder and a flash lighting. My goodness; rain falling on us and running water at our feet down the slopes of hills. The second half of the run was like a new season with the sun coming out to see those stunning views on the penninsula. It was pretty special. We struck lucky with dry daylight conditions there after to enjoy rest of weekend in Kerry @Meteorite58

It was a cooler day on Saturday maybe reaching 14⁰. Journey back to Meath today reached temps of 18⁰-20⁰.

Here comes more rain tonight.

17⁰ Meath

It would not be an Irish wind without the obligatory low flying trampoline..

Out here everything that COULD fly did so decades if not centuries ago.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Sounds wonderful Kutebride, that was a right test of a run, well done. Yeah yesterday felt quite cool, was out doing a few jobs until the rain and thunder arrived here early evening, some spectacular clouds with plenty of clear blue sky too. Indeed today was such a different day, got up to 19.5C here ,bright and breezy, great for pottering around and enjoyed taking a few pictures before the cloud filled in early evening with rain following, wet evening with 10mm at last count. Must take a spin back to Dingle soon with the season quietening down.

First birdsong at 6.41 am

West Mayo offshore island,

There is a little sound of wind.

Weather Advisory for Ireland

• Remaining unsettled for much of this week with spells of heavy rain or showers, possibly causing further disruption.
    • Valid: 19:00 Friday 02/09/2022 to 19:00 Wednesday 07/09/2022
    • Issued: 13:24 Thursday 01/09/2022
    • Updated: 10:48 Monday 05/09/2022 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,327 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Lads, it's really Autumn now! Rain has been shocking in Cork City all morning; i just want to curl up in front of a fire with a hot chocolate and watch a movie!

Still lovely and sunny here in NCD although it is extremely windy.

Sounds good to me..and yes that tang in the air.. sharp amd sweet,,

Miserable auld evening now, very windy abd showery.

I did well today, 2 loads of washing dry before the weather changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Have absolutely no idea why anyone wanted rain to fall. This is brutal. Just showered for a minute there, definitely came down with stronger force than my pressure shower.

• Advertisement
Advertisement